ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard

Not so sure about that. He is very interested in the Indiana job.
Several pundits disagree....They think Arizona for two reasons: IU and Zona are on the same level right now, around #10 as a coaching job....and, Zona's expectations (translated into contract stipulations) makes that job more attractive. Sean Miller is getting fired. Arizona is looking for his replacement to nail down before it happens. This makes sense to me....because Arizona is also looking at Beard.

First of all he's a player's coach, would be at IU with homegrown talent. We've always been able to land our share no matter what coach we've had.

Also, who cares as long as he wins? Transfers are becoming a major part of the game anyway and IU isn't in any position to be picky.
Yes, we F'n are, if we're paying that salary, don't wont to ever hear it was a bad year in the transfer portal

The worst case scenario is IU and Arizona get into a bidding war over Chris Beard. If IU were to lose, just like Notre Dame did when competing with Florida for Urban Meyer....it would set the program back even more...just like it did at Notre Dame.

The worst case scenario is IU and Arizona get into a bidding war over Chris Beard. If IU were to lose, just like Notre Dame did when competing with Florida for Urban Meyer....it would set the program back even more...just like it did at Notre Dame.
That's not why Notre Dame didn't land Urban Meyer. Wasn't because of money. Notre Dame wouldn't budge on their admission standards. Meyer wanted a certain number of exemptions every year and Notre Dame said not gonna happen.

Who cares about Beard’s recruiting ratings. He turned Zhaire Smith (3 star, 194 overall) into the 16th draft pick after his sophomore year and Jarret Culver (3 star, 312 overall) into the 6th draft pick after his junior year. That’s impressive player development for his first recruiting class.
I know Beard has a Final Four appearance. So does Mike Davis and Tom Crean. Beard grabbed some under rated players and they turned into good players. Is he lucky or good? I don't see enough to feel sure he can maintain a long run. Does Crean get credit for Dwayne Wade, Oladipo, Anunoby and Morgan? For every one of those there are more examples of Priller, April, Gelon and others. Time showed that Crean wasn't elite.

I've not seen Beard's team play often, Other than his one very good year, why would we hire him with a short history over someone else with a more extensive background?. I don't want to do this again in 4 years.

Rememeber that he will get better players in Btown, better support, better facitities and will attract better assistant coaching.
This isn't guaranteed. Can this coach win in the B1G with the talent he recruits at TT? That is all we can expect over time.

I know Beard has a Final Four appearance. So does Mike Davis and Tom Crean. Beard grabbed some under rated players and they turned into good players. Is he lucky or good? I don't see enough to feel sure he can maintain a long run. Does Crean get credit for Dwayne Wade, Oladipo, Anunoby and Morgan? For every one of those there are more examples of Priller, April, Gelon and others. Time showed that Crean wasn't elite.

I've not seen Beard's team play often, Other than his one very good year, why would we hire him with a short history over someone else with a more extensive background?. I don't want to do this again in 4 years.
Beard took TT to the Elite 8 in 2018 (after arriving in 2016) and the final game losing to UVA in 2019. His NCAA tourney record is 9-3 and overall HC winning percentage is .711.

I slightly favor Musselman over Beard. But I will say that it is impressive to see what Beard has done in Lubbock. A lot more then Bob Knight did in Lubbock.

Nope. Unless his ex wife comes with AND his fiancé come too. He’s not leaving Lubbock until at least his youngest graduates and she’s not even in high school.
I think this is a huge issue that basically disqualifies him as a candidate. It's funny, sometimes we don't even consider the fact that coaches have families and significant others.

If it's true that he doesn't have primary custody of his kids, he's not leaving Texas. He will stay near his ex-wife and kids.

I'd love Beard, but I just can't see it happening.

I think this is a huge issue that basically disqualifies him as a candidate. It's funny, sometimes we don't even consider the fact that coaches have families and significant others.

If it's true that he doesn't have primary custody of his kids, he's not leaving Texas. He will stay near his ex-wife and kids.

I'd love Beard, but I just can't see it happening.
Well, if his salary doubles and that doubles the child support for the ex - she might decide that a change of scenery would be welcome.

Will Beard bring Stew Robinson and Pat Knight to add to his staff?

For the people that aren't high on Chris Beard, why? I'm genuinely curious. His resume is terrific, he's young, and he's a player's coach. He's won everywhere he's been.

Is it just because he's not Brad Stevens? Seriously, why?
I am fine with Beard but his defenses are good just not excited about the offense. I want a coach that can get players to play both sides of the ball. If it’s Beard then I’m 100% supporting him. I’m not wanting a coach in his late 60’s that will be here for 5-10 years and be done. I want someone that turns this team into playing winning basketball and will be here 15-20 years or more.

That's not why Notre Dame didn't land Urban Meyer. Wasn't because of money. Notre Dame wouldn't budge on their admission standards. Meyer wanted a certain number of exemptions every year and Notre Dame said not gonna happen.
still a bidding war...point still made.

still a bidding war...point still made.
Point is, it wasn't a bidding war. When Notre Dame wouldn't meet his demands on the exemptions from the admissions department, he moved on to Florida, where in his words "a plant could get in."

Nice try.....

Point is, it wasn't a bidding war. When Notre Dame wouldn't meet his demands on the exemptions from the admissions department, he moved on to Florida, where in his words "a plant could get in."

Nice try.....
Point is who cares because ND lowered it anyway for Kelly.

Point is who cares because ND lowered it anyway for Kelly.
Point is there was no bidding war at the time between Notre Dame and Florida for Meyer.

And there will be no bidding war between Indiana and Arizona for Beard. If anyone it will be Indiana and Texas Tech trying to retain him.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIhoosier26
Chris Beard press conference when hired at TT

He referenced Bear Bryant leaving Texas A&M for Alabam....”mama Im coming home”!

Can we please go after a coach that loves IU?!! We have plenty of qualified candidates

I slightly favor Musselman over Beard. But I will say that it is impressive to see what Beard has done in Lubbock. A lot more then Bob Knight did in Lubbock.

Coach Knight didn’t have the deep tournament run there but won 20+ games in 5 of 6 full seasons there including his first 4. Coach Beard has won 20+ games in 2 of 5 season. Lets not go overboard here.

Coach Knight didn’t have the deep tournament run there but won 20+ games in 5 of 6 full seasons there including his first 4. Coach Beard has won 20+ games in 2 of 5 season. Lets not go overboard here.

oh and Coach Knight was supposedly over the hill and out of touch by this point.

Just to clarify. Not “the deep tournament” run. That would indicate only one. Beard went elite 8 and then final game in 2 consecutive years. I admired Knight at IU. But what Beard has done at TT there far exceeds what BK did.

Just to clarify. Not “the deep tournament” run. That would indicate only one. Beard went elite 8 and then final game in 2 consecutive years. I admired Knight at IU. But what Beard has done at TT there far exceeds what BK did.

In the tournament yes. But his overall results if carried over to IU would risk being Coach Creen all over again.

Point is there was no bidding war at the time between Notre Dame and Florida for Meyer.

And there will be no bidding war between Indiana and Arizona for Beard. If anyone it will be Indiana and Texas Tech trying to retain him.

If the academic standards were lowered for kelly, can you image what Urban Meyer would have needed? Yikes.

I think he may be the best hire we could hope for not that Coach Stevens if off the table.

He had been at TT 5 years. He won more than 20 games 2 times. And finished in the top 3 of the Big 12 3 of 5 years.

I took a quick glance at his recruits and he has some pretty good ones so it’s not like he is overachieving with scrubs.

If we can land him, which I don’t think we can, I think it is likely he duplicates those results and I don’t think our fan base will be happy with that.

Thats just my guess and if we get him I hope I am wrong.

He’s won 20+ games in 2 of the 3 years he has been there. The last two seasons haven’t been full seasons.

Call me when Beard has 3 NC's and an undefeated season. FO

No thanks. I know his record from all 5 years there. Appreciate the thought though.
Well considering he's got a much better win% than Crean did with better jobs, and he makes t the tournament 83% of the time as opposed to Crean's 55% of the time at Marquette. Also has two deep tournament appearances to Crean's one, all of this without DWade and at worse jobs. I think you might want to check those results again.

Last edited:
Reactions: FloatingHooz
In the tournament yes. But his overall results if carried over to IU would risk being Coach Creen all over again.
I’ll put it this way. If Chris Beard had Coach Knight’s TT resume, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone in Indiana who knew his name. Instead every rabid IU fan knows Beard’s name.
Beard wouldn’t get a sniff for a major program job if he had Coach Knight’s TT resume. So to say that Beard hasn’t far exceeded BK’s performance there is delusional.

Well considering he's got a much better win% than Crean did with better jobs, and he has as many tournament appearances as Crean had at Marquette in three less seasons. Also has two deep tournament appearances to Crean's one, all of this without DWade and at worse schools. I think you might want to check those results again.

I am not here to argue. Unlike you, I am not a right fighter. In fact I readily admit I might be wrong on Coach Beard. But anyone who sees that he has gone 6-12, 9-9, and 9-8 in 3 of his 5 years in conference and thinks that those results would fly long term at IU is fooling themselves. I am just saying it’s a risk.

ADVERTISEMENT