ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard

I am not here to argue. Unlike you, I am not a right fighter. In fact I readily admit I might be wrong on Coach Beard. But anyone who sees that he has gone 6-12, 9-9, and 9-8 in 3 of his 5 years in conference and thinks that those results would fly long term at IU is fooling themselves. I am just saying it’s a risk.
I’m not here to fight either. Just stating facts. People on here lose their mind if you point out any facts that don’t portray Coach Knight as a god under all circumstances.

I am not here to argue. Unlike you, I am not a right fighter. In fact I readily admit I might be wrong on Coach Beard. But anyone who sees that he has gone 6-12, 9-9, and 9-8 in 3 of his 5 years in conference and thinks that those results would fly long term at IU is fooling themselves. I am just saying it’s a risk.
And I'm saying there's a major difference between Texas Texas and IU. Also if you watch the games and check the teams stats Beard's teams play a great half court motion, and play very good defense.

Him and Crean aren't even close to the same coach.

You know damn well that the discussion is about the TT resumes. I made that clear. Of course Beard doesn’t compare based upon Coach Knight’s entire career.
Actually, he may not. Through no fault of yours though.

I’m not here to fight either. Just stating facts. People on here lose their mind if you point out any facts that don’t portray Coach Knight as a god under all circumstances.

Coach Knight in respects to coaching basketball was one of the best to ever do it. I don’t care how you view him. I view even Coach Knights years at TT ad better than Coach Beards.

And I'm saying there's a major difference between Texas Texas and IU. Also if you watch the games and check the teams stats Beard's teams play a great half court motion, and play very good defense.

Him and Crean aren't even close to the same coach.

I said his results risk being the same or similar. And I think they might be.

Coach Knight in respects to coaching basketball was one of the best to ever do it. I don’t care how you view him. I view even Coach Knights years at TT ad better than Coach Beards.

You might want to check their records at TT again. Beard has a better winning percentage, in conference, and overall. He's made the NCAA tourney at a higher rate (they were projected in the tourney last year). He's finished 1st and 2nd in the Big 12, compared to Knight who's best finish was 3rd. Knight made it to the SW 16 once, compared to Beard's Elite 8 and Runner-up finishes. You can't make a rational argument that Knight was better than Beard at TT. I do agree Knight was one of the best ever:)

You might want to check their records at TT again. Beard has a better winning percentage, in conference, and overall. He's made the NCAA tourney at a higher rate (they were projected in the tourney last year). He's finished 1st and 2nd in the Big 12, compared to Knight who's best finish was 3rd. Knight made it to the SW 16 once, compared to Beard's Elite 8 and Runner-up finishes. You can't make a rational argument that Knight was better than Beard at TT. I do agree Knight was one of the best ever:)

And yet I do. Because I believe the Big 12 was a better conference when Coach Knight was there and Coach Knight did not have NBA talent on his teams as he took over a historically bad team. Coach Knight had as many 20+ win seasons as that program had in like 20-30 year prior to him.

It’s a matter of opinion and my opinion is that Knight was a better coach at TT than what Beard has been.

This is good debate about program development vs conference wins vs tourney performance. First I have to defend RMK based on his starting point. He took over a program that did not have a winning record in the five previous years. He took them to 3 NCAA's & 1 NIT in his first four years and also beat two top 10 tens in both '06 and '07. His TT winning % was 62.7.

Chris Beard, who understudied RMK 2001-2008 then stayed through 2011 with Pat Knight, inherited a Tubby Smith team that lost to Butler in the 2015/16 NCAA's. His B12 conference W/L record is not overwhelming but his NCAA record is notable. He went to E8 in 2018 by beating Purdue but then lost to Villanova. In 2019 he beat #1 seed Gonzaga, then MSU only to lose in the final game to Virginia. His TT winning % was 67.5.

So the question is what do you weight more heavily conference records (6-12, 11-7, 14-4, 9-9, 9-8) in a tough conference comparable to ours or NCAA tourney performance? I think this is a good and tough discussion to have.

Reactions: Beorik
This is good debate about program development vs conference wins vs tourney performance. First I have to defend RMK based on his starting point. He took over a program that did not have a winning record in the five previous years. He took them to 3 NCAA's & 1 NIT in his first four years and also beat two top 10 tens in both '06 and '07. His TT winning % was 62.7.

Chris Beard, who understudied RMK 2001-2008 then stayed through 2011 with Pat Knight, inherited a Tubby Smith team that lost to Butler in the 2015/16 NCAA's. His B12 conference W/L record is not overwhelming but his NCAA record is notable. He went to E8 in 2018 by beating Purdue but then lost to Villanova. In 2019 he beat #1 seed Gonzaga, then MSU only to lose in the final game to Virginia. His TT winning % was 67.5.

So the question is what do you weight more heavily conference records (6-12, 11-7, 14-4, 9-9, 9-8) in a tough conference comparable to ours or NCAA tourney performance? I think this is a good and tough discussion to have.

I think the hope with Beard is that he will get better players at IU with their resources and history. It could happen for sure and I hope it does if we hire him.

I just think IU fans will not accept a .500 record in conference in half their years. So if he doesn’t get better consistency then many will be calling for his head in 4-8 years.

Fingers crossed we get the right guy and never have these discussions again for 20 or so years.

Reactions: Radio Zero
I agree we have much better resources and recruiting opportunities but I'm nervous that we said the same thing about AM. We'll know more within a few days, but now I'm starting to wonder if there's someone out there we haven't even been discussing.

Reactions: Radio Zero
I agree we have much better resources and recruiting opportunities but I'm nervous that we said the same thing about AM. We'll know more within a few days, but now I'm starting to wonder if there's someone out there we haven't even been discussing.

I agree. I thought Coach Miller was the guy to make us the type of basketball program that the majority of fans wanted. And he did check some of the boxes. Defensive minded and smart, clean basketball. Unfortunately I think he ultimately was missing the discipline and accountability parts.

Beard looks like Miller 2.0. don't like his offense. I think IU needs a personality that is bigger than the fan base. I like Beilein's offense but not his age. Pitino has the personality but also has baggage and is also old. I'm not a fan of any of the current candidates. Hope there is someone out there that hasn't been mentioned. I think IU will be more of the same for at least 4-5 more years.

Several pundits disagree....They think Arizona for two reasons: IU and Zona are on the same level right now, around #10 as a coaching job....and, Zona's expectations (translated into contract stipulations) makes that job more attractive. Sean Miller is getting fired. Arizona is looking for his replacement to nail down before it happens. This makes sense to me....because Arizona is also looking at Beard.
Who are these pundits, Jeff Goodman?
😄😄😄

It is around where I live moron. Unlike you jackasses that live up north that don’t know shit but think they do.
I’m sure it’s an excellent source where you live. Little doubt your favorite station has a direct line into ND’s admissions office.

I’m sure it’s an excellent source where you live. Little doubt your favorite station has a direct line into ND’s admissions office.
Rocky who played for ND talks to people all the time from ND and with Brian Kelly all the time but some dumbass from Indiana University knows everything that goes on in the world of Indiana sports and academics. Why hasn’t Dolson let you hire the next coach with all your knowledge and wisdom. Is it because they know your just a dumb f...ing idiot.

Reactions: beenther1s
And yet I do. Because I believe the Big 12 was a better conference when Coach Knight was there and Coach Knight did not have NBA talent on his teams as he took over a historically bad team. Coach Knight had as many 20+ win seasons as that program had in like 20-30 year prior to him.

It’s a matter of opinion and my opinion is that Knight was a better coach at TT than what Beard has been.

Not true on the Big 12 being better when Knight was coach. The Big 12 has been either 1st or 2nd ranked conference each year Beard has been the coach according to the RPI rankings.

2 of the years Knight was the coach the Big 12 was ranked 7th and 8th best conferences overall. They were only ranked in the top 2 once. Beard has had to compete in a much tougher Big 12 than Knight.

Not true on the Big 12 being better when Knight was coach. The Big 12 has been either 1st or 2nd ranked conference each year Beard has been the coach according to the RPI rankings.

2 of the years Knight was the coach the Big 12 was ranked 7th and 8th best conferences overall. They were only ranked in the top 2 once. Beard has had to compete in a much tougher Big 12 than Knight.

Again it’s a matter of opinion. Rankings are what they are. The Big Ten is supposed to be historically great this year. We heard it all year. Yet how has the tournament started for them?

I stand by what I said. I think if we hireCoach Beard there is a 50/50 chance at best that he can take us to where we want to go. I believe it is just as likely his record at IU ends up similar to Coach Crean.

I want to be wrong but I have watched in the neighborhood of 40 games of his since his tournament runs and I have not been overly impressed the last couple years. Admittedly I don’t follow them like I do IU and certainly I could be wrong.

I’m willing to jump in here. I’m not saying Beard couldn’t win at IU — he very well could. The most pressing concern regarding Beard pertains to recruiting. Is he capable of “stacking” quality recruiting classes to build a program that has a solid foundation for success? He has taken full advantage of transfers at Texas Tech. I do not fault for him that. I simply wonder if he would be able to adjust to building a roster through consecutive quality recruiting classes.

If he can get any kids with options to come play in Lubbock, then he‘s a premier recruiter.

Rocky who played for ND talks to people all the time from ND and with Brian Kelly all the time but some dumbass from Indiana University knows everything that goes on in the world of Indiana sports and academics. Why hasn’t Dolson let you hire the next coach with all your knowledge and wisdom. Is it because they know your just a dumb f...ing idiot.
Try to steady yourself. I have the utmost respect for people who get their information from sports radio. I’m sure they’re intimately involved with ND’s Office of Admissions. Say your novenas and you might get admitted one day.

Again it’s a matter of opinion. Rankings are what they are. The Big Ten is supposed to be historically great this year. We heard it all year. Yet how has the tournament started for them?

I stand by what I said. I think if we hireCoach Beard there is a 50/50 chance at best that he can take us to where we want to go. I believe it is just as likely his record at IU ends up similar to Coach Crean.

I want to be wrong but I have watched in the neighborhood of 40 games of his since his tournament runs and I have not been overly impressed the last couple years. Admittedly I don’t follow them like I do IU and certainly I could be wrong.
I don’t think there’s anyone we can hire who would present us with a 50 / 50 chance, at best, to take us where we want to go.

I don’t think there’s anyone we can hire who would present us with a 50 / 50 chance, at best, to take us where we want to go.

You might be right. I hope not. But after hiring “great” up and coming coaches twice now I no longer have faith in the experts to accurately predict success.

Which is why I want the hire to be the right fit for our program am resume be damned.

Just to clarify. Not “the deep tournament” run. That would indicate only one. Beard went elite 8 and then final game in 2 consecutive years. I admired Knight at IU. But what Beard has done at TT there far exceeds what BK did.
Many coaches can put together one or two year runs with the right players. I like that he has had success wherever he has been. He is one of the best coaches on our list. Working under RMK and coach being back in Btown feels right.

Okay, I'm on board

Point is, it wasn't a bidding war. When Notre Dame wouldn't meet his demands on the exemptions from the admissions department, he moved on to Florida, where in his words "a plant could get in."

Nice try.....
the bidding war was not just about money...the academic standards were on the table, and ND took them off; along with themselves.

Trust me, I’d love nothing more than to see Chris Beard get hired and be the guy that finally wins big at IU. My point is that no one but Stevens is a surefire bet. Any other hire will include some level of risk.
Stevens wasn't sure fire either. No one is. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Stevens at IU, but a part of him had to realize the pressure to win and win BIG would have been intense on him.

Do you have any inside info on this?
A little bit. I talked to a Division 2 coach last week, who worked with Beard for about ten years. He really didn't have any inside information about Indiana's search per se, but we mostly talked about what might it take to get Beard to Indiana. This was after the Stevens rebuff.

1. He told me that if Beard was approached by Dolson, that he would definitely listen.
2. He said if Indiana offered, he would definitely go to back to Tech to see if they would counter.
3. I asked him directly if he thought Beard's family situation would be an issue. He didn't think it would be if the offer was right.
4. I asked him about his assistant Mark Adams. Whether or not he thought he would come along, and he thought he would. I was thinking this maybe an issue since Adams is his defensive coach, and he is 60+ and has coached almost exclusively in the state of Texas.

I had this conversation about a week ago, so this was before Smart left Texas for Marquette. I haven't really talked at length, since so I don't have any idea if Beard will bolt for Texas.So all of that maybe moot at this point.

For the people that aren't high on Chris Beard, why? I'm genuinely curious. His resume is terrific, he's young, and he's a player's coach. He's won everywhere he's been.

Is it just because he's not Brad Stevens? Seriously, why?
I am very high on him but now Texas obviously will get him.

A little bit. I talked to a Division 2 coach last week, who worked with Beard for about ten years. He really didn't have any inside information about Indiana's search per se, but we mostly talked about what might it take to get Beard to Indiana. This was after the Stevens rebuff.

1. He told me that if Beard was approached by Dolson, that he would definitely listen.
2. He said if Indiana offered, he would definitely go to back to Tech to see if they would counter.
3. I asked him directly if he thought Beard's family situation would be an issue. He didn't think it would be if the offer was right.
4. I asked him about his assistant Mark Adams. Whether or not he thought he would come along, and he thought he would. I was thinking this maybe an issue since Adams is his defensive coach, and he is 60+ and has coached almost exclusively in the state of Texas.

I had this conversation about a week ago, so this was before Smart left Texas for Marquette. I haven't really talked at length, since so I don't have any idea if Beard will bolt for Texas.So all of that maybe moot at this point.
Afraid so. The great State of Texas, screwed us...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT