ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard

I wouldn't go that far but he absolutely gets the most out of his talent. Far better than anyone we've had since Knight.

Indiana fans will grow to love him I can promise you that.. he will be treated like a king if given the job.. on paper Brad is the obvious fit.. there isn’t a better fit for IU than Chris Beard outside of Stevens.

Personally in the boat of Beard or bust. I’ve wanted Beard for a few years on here!

That's not answering my question, why don't you consider him a home run hire?
I’m willing to jump in here. I’m not saying Beard couldn’t win at IU — he very well could. The most pressing concern regarding Beard pertains to recruiting. Is he capable of “stacking” quality recruiting classes to build a program that has a solid foundation for success? He has taken full advantage of transfers at Texas Tech. I do not fault for him that. I simply wonder if he would be able to adjust to building a roster through consecutive quality recruiting classes.

I’m willing to jump in here. I’m not saying Beard couldn’t win at IU — he very well could. The most pressing concern regarding Beard pertains to recruiting. Is he capable of “stacking” quality recruiting classes to build a program that has a solid foundation for success? He has taken full advantage of transfers at Texas Tech. I do not fault for him that. I simply wonder if he would be able to adjust to building a roster through consecutive quality recruiting classes.
First of all he's a player's coach, would be at IU with homegrown talent. We've always been able to land our share no matter what coach we've had.

Also, who cares as long as he wins? Transfers are becoming a major part of the game anyway and IU isn't in any position to be picky.

For the people that aren't high on Chris Beard, why? I'm genuinely curious. His resume is terrific, he's young, and he's a player's coach. He's won everywhere he's been.

Is it just because he's not Brad Stevens? Seriously, why?
Easy answers for you! Not a good recruiter, has only had 20+ win seasons in his two tourney runs, fact. Beyond that, he's basically like a 18/19 - 12/13 coach. Hello Mike Davis, we've missed you, sorry we didn't pay you 10X better for 19-13 results :)

It's also because, some idiots on here think he had some serious RMK/IU connection. Dude had never been to AH EVER. Cool that he wanted his team to tour it, but this connection to IU/RMK is way overblown and fascinated over by the crazies

And, after winning today, I think they stand at a stunning 18-10, which is about what we could expect every year even without any lost games ... look at his stats, it's right on par

Last edited:
I think he may be the best hire we could hope for not that Coach Stevens if off the table.

He had been at TT 5 years. He won more than 20 games 2 times. And finished in the top 3 of the Big 12 3 of 5 years.

I took a quick glance at his recruits and he has some pretty good ones so it’s not like he is overachieving with scrubs.

If we can land him, which I don’t think we can, I think it is likely he duplicates those results and I don’t think our fan base will be happy with that.

Thats just my guess and if we get him I hope I am wrong.

Easy answers for you! Not a good recruiter, has only had 20+ win seasons outside his two tourney runs, fact. Beyond that, he's basically like a 18/19 - 12/13 coach. Hello Mike Davis, we've missed you, sorry we didn't pay you 10X better for 19-13 results :)
He's coached 6 years total, he's coached at Arkansas Little Rock and Texas Tech (not powerhouses.

He's got 5 tournament appearances in those 6 years (would've made it last year) and has never lost the opening game.

He's got an elite 8, a national championship game appearance and in a few days he'll be playing to get back to the sweet 16. All of this with 3* recruits.

Anyone not sold on him must've been Stevens or bust because Stevens is the only one with a better resume.

He's coached 6 years total, he's coached at Arkansas Little Rock and Texas Tech (not powerhouses.

He's got 5 tournament appearances in those 6 years (would've made it last year) and and has never lost the opening game.

He's got an elite 8, a national championship game appearance and in a few days he'll be playing to get back to the sweet 16. All of this with 3* recruits.

Anyone not sold on him must've been Stevens or bust because Stevens is the only one with a better resume.
Actually Bielien, Matta both have better resumes

[/QUOTE\] No they don't? Beard has only been a coach for 6 years, and Texas Tech doesn't touch Michigan or Ohio State in terms of tradition. What had Matta done in his first 6 years? I know Beilein didn't do much.

Even then Matta has a bad back and Beilein is 190. No way they'll be as motivated and they're past their primes.

He's got 5 tournament appearances in those 6 years (would've made it last year) and has never lost the opening game.

Hasn’t he had one of the top recruiting classes in the BIG 12 the last couple years. And he may have had 3 stars in the beginning but according to 247 he has recruited like 7-8 4 stars in the last few years. And like 90% of his freshman recruits are over 90 rated. Seems pretty similar to our recruiting the last few years.

Hiring A 68 year old is dicey. And I’d hire Thad Matta for almost any profession but basketball coach. He just doesn’t move well enough to coach these types of athletes.

It's a concern, but in 2020, he got the 34th & 44th players in the country.

In 2021, he has a commit from the 35th ranked player in the country.

In 2019, he had the 16th rated class in the country.

And this is at Texas Tech. He's recruiting pretty damned well to Lubbock, TX.

What IU needs is what USC Football needed when they hired Pete Carroll. He wasn’t USC’s first choice after a failed stint as head coach of the New England Patriots. USC fans reacted to the hire with a collective “meh.” I think those same fans wound up being pretty happy. That’s what gives me hope about whoever IU hires after missing out on Stevens.

Reactions: Beorik
This is getting depressing if u can’t get Beard with a donor and u can’t get Tony Bennet and Beilen is too old we are essentially trading in our Chevy for a Ford.....f—k me

Just a question... have you ever been to Lubbock Texas?

second one... have you seen that he’s had multiple top 50 players the last few years...

Third one... did you see the recruits that were much lower ranked were both NBA players one being a lottery pick?

Don’t think people here know a lot about the guy and that’s okay but this dude would win BIG at IU and be the EXACT coach the Indiana fan base claims they want.

Just a question... have you ever been to Lubbock Texas?

second one... have you seen that he’s had multiple top 50 players the last few years...

Third one... did you see the recruits that were much lower ranked were both NBA players one being a lottery pick?

Don’t think people here know a lot about the guy and that’s okay but this dude would win BIG at IU and be the EXACT coach the Indiana fan base claims they want.
Trust me, I’d love nothing more than to see Chris Beard get hired and be the guy that finally wins big at IU. My point is that no one but Stevens is a surefire bet. Any other hire will include some level of risk.

Reactions: Beorik and Mr.IU
This is getting depressing if u can’t get Beard with a donor and u can’t get Tony Bennet and Beilen is too old we are essentially trading in our Chevy for a Ford.....f—k me
My F150 is nicer than any Chevy. Bummed about BS but Beard would be a great hire.

Reactions: tooold4
Who cares about Beard’s recruiting ratings. He turned Zhaire Smith (3 star, 194 overall) into the 16th draft pick after his sophomore year and Jarret Culver (3 star, 312 overall) into the 6th draft pick after his junior year. That’s impressive player development for his first recruiting class.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Gotta say, as an IU fan going through this coaching change scenario yet again, while the program collects dust and cobwebs.....what qualifies IU to kick the tires? I honestly think the labor pool is getting smaller all the time for candidates with potential for success at IU. This is a very average program right now. The one positive is...IU keeps the coaching clunkers for 4 or 5 years....unlike a Kentucky or North Carolina, who replace in 2 or 3. I say positive if you are a candidate.

We seem to be stuck in a cycle of tweeners.....up and comers who are soon in over their heads. How does IU break that cycle?

Beard can leave Texas.....Arizona will likely part ways with Sean Miller after all the shenanigans and the tournament ban. The must clean and fumigate that program....and will. I think Zona goes after Chris Beard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT