ADVERTISEMENT

Childhood sports

Start a beer thread, I'll join you.
It wont matter. You started this one about the Komets and look where it went? I haven't tried a huge amount and sticking with what I can buy locally . Founders is best but people that will argue over this that or whatever . That is like Miller Bud Coors which I avoid . There is a line between tiny Micro brews vs something I can buy Im up north and every one goes on about Two hearts from Kzoo.. I can only taste so much difference in same brews. That said who dings Natty ice?

For a brief time after school I lived in Ft Wayne. Loved going to Komet games.

As a kid, it was Joe and Marty on WLW. I listened to the Indianapolis Indians pull one out last night. Howard Kellerman is a great listen.

Reactions: Noodle and larsIU

As a kid, it was Joe and Marty on WLW. I listened to the Indianapolis Indians pull one out last night. Howard Kellerman is a great listen.
I believe Kellerman may now hold the record/standard of being the current sportscaster who has broadcast the longest continuous time for the same professional team.

There aren't many who ever have lasted as long as he has.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
If I’m driving and there’s a baseball game on I listen. Teams don’t matter. You don’t really have to focus on it to keep up.

I’d argue the best radio broadcast every year is the Indy 500. They’ve got it down to a science.

In the general radio theme, I always have had difficulty getting 700WLW in Bloomington. I think not hearing Reds games has decreased my baseball enthusiasm.

In the general radio theme, I always have had difficulty getting 700WLW in Bloomington. I think not hearing Reds games has decreased my baseball enthusiasm.
Hard to believe that you can't get 700 in Bloomington. I had a roommate from Batesville who had in on non-stop for 2 semesters.

If I’m driving and there’s a baseball game on I listen. Teams don’t matter. You don’t really have to focus on it to keep up.

I’d argue the best radio broadcast every year is the Indy 500. They’ve got it down to a science.
Yeah, that's a race day tradition that goes back to my childhood. I'd much rather listen than watch.

Hard to believe that you can't get 700 in Bloomington. I had a roommate from Batesville who had in on non-stop for 2 semesters.
I have listened to 700 in Estes Park, Colorado. I grew up listening to them in Columbus, IN. There are places in Bloomington I can barely get it, but mostly have not.

In high school I would listen to their afternoon DJ, Gary Burbank. He would do Earl Pitts, American. Very similar to what Colbert used to do.

Reactions: UncleMark
I have listened to 700 in Estes Park, Colorado. I grew up listening to them in Columbus, IN. There are places in Bloomington I can barely get it, but mostly have not.

In high school I would listen to their afternoon DJ, Gary Burbank. He would do Earl Pitts, American. Very similar to what Colbert used to do.
That's crazy. I wonder why that is?

Say hi to momma 'n nim for me. I got some guy named Riley with the senseless survey who wants to talk to me.

AM signals are very atmospheric based.

under the right conditions, high powered am stations can be received far beyond where the earth's curvature should allow.

under the right conditions, high powered am stations can be received far beyond where the earth's curvature should allow.
I once listened to WOWO while driving from LA north on the Pacific Coast Highway. It was very foggy.

I get WLW every now and then in south FL. It came in pretty good, at least after dark, when I lived in Massachusetts

Joe Nuxhall was a treasure. He and my father-in-law grew up together. In fact, when they were kids my father-in-law was the only kid who would catch for Joe because he threw so hard. I will never forget the round of golf with my dad, my father-in-law, my brother-in-law, Joe Nuxhall, and Jim O’Toole. Nuxie was one of the nicest people I have ever had the honor to meet. What a guy.

Joe Nuxhall was a treasure. He and my father-in-law grew up together. In fact, when they were kids my father-in-law was the only kid who would catch for Joe because he threw so hard. I will never forget the round of golf with my dad, my father-in-law, my brother-in-law, Joe Nuxhall, and Jim O’Toole. Nuxie was one of the nicest people I have ever had the honor to meet. What a guy.
The ole left hander.

Reactions: Noodle
No, I'm in a trailer park.
I doubt if DANC will get that.

And, on a related note...
A portrait of DANC:

a52ebaa603e80a2f0677c001d5b0157d1b6af53616d0d74e703329f2ad197ff6.jpg

Reactions: UncleMark

I listened to most of the 87 championship season on WOWO in Athens GA. Had to hold onto the antenna throughout the game to make continuous adjustments. Also spent too many summer nights without air conditioning or TV listening to the Orioles broadcasts in the 90s. It's a lost experience for today's generation, though.

Reactions: stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT