ADVERTISEMENT

Childhood sports

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Back when I was a youngster, you couldn't watch a lot of sports on TV. Sure, the NFL had a few games on every week, and the local Fox affiliate had some Cubs games, but mostly, if you wanted to hear what was going on in a sports event as it happened, you needed a radio. Tonight, I listened to the Fort Wayne Komets win the ECHL championship for the first time since they upgraded to the league.

Fort Wayne has always been a huge hockey town. Other than the Original Six and the Hershey Bears, no other team has played in the same city with the same name as long as the Komets. We've had other teams come and go. The Tin Caps are a pretty successful baseball team right now. But no one has had the success or the rabid fan base as the Komets. And they capped off decades of success with another championship tonight, which I got to listen to (not the whole game, because I lost track of time, but I got to hear the glorious third period) on the local AM station.

Honestly, it was pretty cool listening on the AM feed. Reminded me of what it was like to listen to the Cubs on the same station years ago, or of spending Sunday mornings with my dad trying to pick up KFAN on the old radio to listen to the Vikings. In the age of HD TV, we forget that it was possible to enjoy sports with just some guy telling you over the airwaves what was happening. We even had a countdown tonight ("thirty seconds to go...twenty seconds to go...!") until a late icing forced a final faceoff with 1.9 left on the clock. It went nowhere, and the Komets were champs.

One of the head ushers at the Coliseum is someone I know from high school who is locally famous and was on the news for how she dances in the aisles during every Komets game. I imagine she was dancing her ass off tonight.

Anyway, I really only shared this because it reminded me of how cool it was to experience sports the old-fashioned way, before ESPN and BTN and all that. Cheers.

Back when I was a youngster, you couldn't watch a lot of sports on TV. Sure, the NFL had a few games on every week, and the local Fox affiliate had some Cubs games, but mostly, if you wanted to hear what was going on in a sports event as it happened, you needed a radio. Tonight, I listened to the Fort Wayne Komets win the ECHL championship for the first time since they upgraded to the league.

Fort Wayne has always been a huge hockey town. Other than the Original Six and the Hershey Bears, no other team has played in the same city with the same name as long as the Komets. We've had other teams come and go. The Tin Caps are a pretty successful baseball team right now. But no one has had the success or the rabid fan base as the Komets. And they capped off decades of success with another championship tonight, which I got to listen to (not the whole game, because I lost track of time, but I got to hear the glorious third period) on the local AM station.

Honestly, it was pretty cool listening on the AM feed. Reminded me of what it was like to listen to the Cubs on the same station years ago, or of spending Sunday mornings with my dad trying to pick up KFAN on the old radio to listen to the Vikings. In the age of HD TV, we forget that it was possible to enjoy sports with just some guy telling you over the airwaves what was happening. We even had a countdown tonight ("thirty seconds to go...twenty seconds to go...!") until a late icing forced a final faceoff with 1.9 left on the clock. It went nowhere, and the Komets were champs.

One of the head ushers at the Coliseum is someone I know from high school who is locally famous and was on the news for how she dances in the aisles during every Komets game. I imagine she was dancing her ass off tonight.

Anyway, I really only shared this because it reminded me of how cool it was to experience sports the old-fashioned way, before ESPN and BTN and all that. Cheers.

I have some fun memories listening to sports games (and Love Line with Adam Carolla and Dr Drew) that ended well past my bedtime as a kid. I didn’t have a TV in my room until nearly HS, so I relied on radio to hear the end of many games

Radio has always been the best way to follow sports. I’ve been busy lately in the evenings and been listening to a lot of the NBA playoffs via radio. I’ll get home and turn the same game on tv, and the mystique is gone.

I have some fun memories listening to sports games (and Love Line with Adam Carolla and Dr Drew) that ended well past my bedtime as a kid. I didn’t have a TV in my room until nearly HS, so I relied on radio to hear the end of many games
I have a strong memory of listening to the Cubs in the back yard when a robin in the maple tree shat on my leg. I don't know why that popped into my brain right now.

Radio has always been the best way to follow sports. I’ve been busy lately in the evenings and been listening to a lot of the NBA playoffs via radio. I’ll get home and turn on the same game on tv, and the mystique is gone.
I have a long commute most days, and I switch between NPR and whatever sports is happening on the way home. The enjoyment is very different than TV.

remember listening to the Komets on radio when passing thru the Fort visiting relatives and WOWO radio. Somehow listening to a live sporting event has a good feeling

I have a long commute most days, and I switch between NPR and whatever sports is happening on the way home. The enjoyment is very different than TV.
Yep. It’s a sin to not listen to Don Fischer work IU games. I know a lot of fans play his broadcast while watching on tv, but it’s actually better without watching the game, and let Don’s vivid description do the work.

Yep. It’s a sin to not listen to Don Fischer work IU games. I know a lot of fans play his broadcast while watching on tv, but it’s actually better without watching the game, and let Don’s vivid description do the work.
Let's not get carried away, now.

Loveline was a cool show! But wow feel old if it was past your bedtime . There was some show and maybe from Cincy that had a weekend call in dating show? It was crazy listening to. I cant remember, way back my relatives were on the route down US27 just remember old AM radio

Between Archie and Trump, the last four years have aged me by about fifteen.

At least I shouldn't have to worry about outliving my money any more.
It is really sad how you allowed Trump to eat at your brain and so here we are a thread started by Goat about sports we can all agree on and you just have to inject Trump. What did he personally do to you to make you such a miserable prick? I am really curious? Obama stole my health insurance and I hate him but I dont spend every day of my life wallowing in misery like you seem to

We had no TV when I was very young. I fell asleep most summer nights listening to the St Louis Cardinals on my transistor.

My first hockey game was at the Coliseum when we visited family in Ft Wayne. I was 10 or so. One gigantic fight during the game that I loved. Lol.

Last edited:
It is really sad how you allowed Trump to eat at your brain and so here we are a thread started by Goat about sports we can all agree on and you just have to inject Trump.
That really wasn't the point I was making. Don't be so quick to assume the worst. I doubt anyone else here thought that was really about "injecting TRUMP!!!".

We had no TV when I was very young. I fell asleep most summer nights listening to the St Louis Cardinals on my transistor.

My first hockey game was at the Coliseum when we visited family in Ft Wayne. I was 10 or so. One gigantic fight during the that I loved. Lol.
Cubs games, we got Sunday WGN over the air TV on local Sundays . I remember a teacher letting us have the radio on in 84 in the playoffs for a game. Radio announcing was an art it really was I like watching the games but a good radio announcer was gold. Sadly now we are stuck with what we have and the few that remain are getting close to the end Fisch isnt going to be around for ever

Reactions: stollcpa
That really wasn't the point I was making. Don't be so quick to assume the worst. I doubt anyone else here saw that was about "injecting TRUMP!!!".
I am sorry did I misread your post where you said how Trump had aged you? Just leave it alone. Everything about you is Trump. You didnt answer my question of what he personally did to you ?

Reactions: DANC
I am sorry did I misread your post where you said how Trump had aged you? Just leave it alone. Everything about you is Trump. You didnt answer my question of what he personally did to you ?
He shamed me.

Cray, CTFO. He was just making a comment about how the past few years have worn him out. Give it a rest.
Not sure what CTFO is , I was saying why did he even need to interject Trump? You had a nice post about sports and radio and old times and he had to inject Trump and I responded. Chastise him for bringing it into your thread not me. WOWO radio was great back in those days, didnt even really like hockey but listening was fun

Not sure what CTFO is , I was saying why did he even need to interject Trump? You had a nice post about sports and radio and old times and he had to inject Trump and I responded. Chastise him for bringing it into your thread not me. WOWO radio was great back in those days, didnt even really like hockey but listening was fun
CTFO = Chill The F*ck Out

Loveline was a cool show! But wow feel old if it was past your bedtime . There was some show and maybe from Cincy that had a weekend call in dating show? It was crazy listening to. I cant remember, way back my relatives were on the route down US27 just remember old AM radio
I’m old enough to remember when Bob and Tom were mildly subversive.

CTFO = Chill The F*ck Out
Did you tell Uncle that ? See that is the thing if you are moderating be equal even if you dont agree. You had a nice thread and he ruined it and yes I responded . Did i mention anything until Mark had to tell us how Trump had aged him so much? C'mon man even you can see that. I dont inject politics in a thread that has nothing to do with them but will respond

Did you tell Uncle that ? See that is the thing if you are moderating be equal even if you dont agree. You had a nice thread and he ruined it and yes I responded . Did i mention anything until Mark had to tell us how Trump had aged him so much? C'mon man even you can see that. I dont inject politics in a thread that has nothing to do with them but will respond
Why don't we all drop this so the thread can progress as it was intended?

This has nothing to do with moderating. It's just a response to what people are saying in this thread. No, I didn't tell Mark to CTFO, because I don't need to, because he isn't such a whiny b*tch as to need reminding to CTFO.

• Haha
This has nothing to do with moderating. It's just a response to what people are saying in this thread. No, I didn't tell Mark to CTFO, because I don't need to, because he isn't such a whiny b*tch as to need reminding to CTFO.
I did but you couldn't But I am a whiny B**** so you couldnt leave it alone. You just incite this kind of thing . I liked your thread not just a like but a good thread and we seemed to be of the same mind and someone inserted politics and where did it go? So now you and I are going back and forth. Its just sad. What if I had been the first to inject and said six months of Biden has aged me 10 years? What would your response have been?

/stepping over the cow dung/

Sports growing up on the farm was a lot of Marty Brenneman & Joe Nuxhall, IU hoops, Pacers games on radio. Mom always had a radio on in the kitchen most of the day. Took radios out on the tractor when working in the fields. Sports and classic rock. Snuck a transistor radio and earbuds into school to listen on the sly to daytime world series games.

Fun memories. I don't listen to radio much since I gave up long commuting.

I did but you couldn't But I am a whiny B**** so you couldnt leave it alone. You just incite this kind of thing . I liked your thread not just a like but a good thread and we seemed to be of the same mind and someone inserted politics and where did it go? So now you and I are going back and forth. Its just sad. What if I had been the first to inject and said six months of Biden has aged me 10 years? What would your response have been?
You've plastered your persona all over this forum since you started posting. You want to improve your image? I'll gladly go there with you.

You've plastered your persona all over this forum since you started posting. You want to improve your image? I'll gladly go there with you.

So again you cant even let this go, what image do you think you have plastered? Its all good as long as everyone falls in line with your mindset but disagreement is really difficult for you isnt it? Centennial IPA here you drinking rye?

That really wasn't the point I was making. Don't be so quick to assume the worst. I doubt anyone else here thought that was really about "injecting TRUMP!!!".
Are you kidding? The thread had nothing to do with Trump, and then you brought him up!

Geez.....

Reactions: Crayfish57
You know damn well what the response would have been. You'd have been attacked by the usual sycophants and threatened to be banned.

Nobody else does what Founders does. They are brilliant.
It would be great to keep politics out of threads and be able to just talk, I am part of it I know ............lets have some beer threads and some sports threads where we can agree or disagree but it doesnt need politics

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT