ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Spegal

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
Watched some of his game yesterday,he had 160 yds against a pretty good defense.
He reminds me a lot of Alex Smith,he is bigger than I thought and hits the hole quick and hard.
I’d like to see us offer him,get his feet wet in a couple games next year to see what he can do,then redshirt him.
Let him hit the weight room a couple summers,he seems like the type of kid who is dying to prove the experts wrong.

Reactions: DANC and Sassy61
Watched some of his game yesterday,he had 160 yds against a pretty good defense.
He reminds me a lot of Alex Smith,he is bigger than I thought and hits the hole quick and hard.
I’d like to see us offer him,get his feet wet in a couple games next year to see what he can do,then redshirt him.
Let him hit the weight room a couple summers,he seems like the type of kid who is dying to prove the experts wrong.

I like him and hope he chooses INDIANA as a Preferred Walk On.

If he wants a fair shot at serious playing time in the Big Ten then I think we are his best opportunity.

All that said..., I trust our staff to make the best use of the few available scholarships left and the game is won up front on both sides of the line...

Hopefully Charlie will take his opportunity and run with it... I'd love to watch him play here!

I like him.

A lot.

I really appreciate tough hard nosed runners with break away speed. He's got good vision and goo footwork work once in the hole.

I think he's better than Sampson James. An absolute steal.

If i were him, I'd take the scholarship. Run for 1,500 yards and enter the transfer portal for a bigger opportunity.

I like him.

A lot.

I really appreciate tough hard nosed runners with break away speed. He's got good vision and goo footwork work once in the hole.

If i were him, I'd take the scholarship. Run for 1,500 yards and enter the transfer portal for a bigger opportunity.

TBD he’s better than Sampson James, and he only has a PWO offer at IU right now.

Reactions: vesuvius13
if I was him I'd go to the team that shows me some love and as of now it's not IU.

if I was him I'd go to the team that shows me some love and as of now it's not IU.

That would be Army..., as a Fullback...

INDIANA has shown him plenty of love.... A Preferred Walk On slot is nothing to sneeze at...

If he wants a more than fair shot at real playing time as a Running Back in the Big Ten and a possible scholarship INDIANA is where he needs to be.

If I were him I'd give it a shot at INDIANA for two a full years "then" if he finds it's not what he'd hoped for he can go Transfer Portal and head elsewhere.

While he's here, as a "Preferred" Walk On he'll have access to a Big Ten Training Table and Strength and Conditioning Staff along with top level coaching..., and he can only get better practicing against Big Ten level players...

NFL scouts routinely watch INDIANA practice too... He may well be noticed...

The smart move, in my opinion, is to give INDIANA a shot first, no matter what happens over the long term...

If I were him I'd give it a shot at INDIANA for two a full years "then" if he finds it's not what he'd hoped for he can go Transfer Portal and head elsewhere.

While he's here, as a "Preferred" Walk On he'll have access to a Big Ten Training Table and Strength and Conditioning Staff along with top level coaching..., and he can only get better practicing against Big Ten level players...

NFL scouts routinely watch INDIANA practice too... He may well be noticed...

The smart move, in my opinion, is to give INDIANA a shot first, no matter what happens over the long term...
Sounds like a sales pitch

IU needs to get this guy.
A GAMER!

Reactions: Sassy61
If he's anything like Alex Smith, look out!

Committed this evening.

Ok, great news. I tend to think winners win! He is strong and seems to have a heart of a lion. Hate to use a PU reference, but maybe a Mike Alstot (Sp?) type? He wasn’t a burner but helluva a bruiser who played in NFL, so the comparison is intended as a compliment for sure. Give him the shot, he surely thinks he can do the rest if so. Good luck to him!

Of all the new recruits, this one has me totally pumped. I could care less about his star ratings or lack of power 5 offers. Plain and simple, the guy is a winner. Team first, quality character. He’ll be an impact player as soon as he gets on campus. Way to go CTA!!

Could we see him move to linebacker? My bad if this is a dumb question
I don’t see any way in the world that happens. He didn’t play D for NP when many of their key players went both ways. He doesn’t really have the body of a backer. Short arms and legs.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If he's anything like Alex Smith, look out!
Not saying he would be that good,just thought his running style and build reminded me of him.We are not gonna offer him so hey,what do I know?

Nice week recruiting:

* Former 3-star OL from Stanford Dylan Powell transfers
* 3-star RB from Virginia Tim Baldwin commits
* 3-star DB Bryson Bonds commits
* 3-star TE AJ Barner commits
* 2-star RB Charlie Spegal commits as Preferred Walk-on. This guy only rushed for 10,862 yards and 173 TDs in his HS career.

247 Sports has our class in the Top 50 nationally now.

Last edited:
Nice week recruiting:

* Former 3-star OL from Stanford Dylan Powell transfers
* 3-star RB from Virginia Tim Baldwin commits
* 3-star DB Bryson Bonds commits
* 3-star TE AJ Barner commits
* 2-star RB Charlie Spegal commits as Preferred Walk-on. This guy only rushed for 10,862 yards and 173 TDs in his career.

247 Sports has our class in the Top 50 nationally now.
Awesome,thanks for the info.

People talk about break-away speed and that is great and all but there are a lot of guys with track speed that don’t have one iota how to find a hole.

This guy has football IQ running in traffic. You don’t get 10,000+ yards at any level without at least some talent.
I think he suits our culture perfectly and shocked the guy didn’t have a P5 offer.

As for the “position,” both Wisconsin and Iowa have had a bunch of kids they have used over the years in the hybrid-FB role with a ton of success.

People talk about break-away speed and that is great and all but there are a lot of guys with track speed that don’t have one iota how to find a hole.

This guy has football IQ running in traffic. You don’t get 10,000+ yards at any level without at least some talent.
I think he suits our culture perfectly and shocked the guy didn’t have a P5 offer.

As for the “position,” both Wisconsin and Iowa have had a bunch of kids they have used over the years in the hybrid-FB role with a ton of success.
I was going to mention Wisconsin as a possible fit for the reasons you stated. In addition, Wisconsin and Iowa both have established programs and success with walkons. In fact I saw a Statistic recently about Wisconsin and walk-ons. I can't remember if this covered 20 or 30 Years (I think it went back to 1989 when Alvarez became Coach). But in that period over 100 Players who came in as walk-ons eventually received Scholarships.

Reactions: iulb
At the very least I could see him returning kick off and punts,a very nice pickup without using a scholarship.

At the very least I could see him returning kick off and punts,a very nice pickup without using a scholarship.

Not an expert but the dude makes great cuts and just explodes in the first ten yards. Have to think we can find a way to use him.

Reactions: DANC and CC Mac
Not an expert but the dude makes great cuts and just explodes in the first ten yards. Have to think we can find a way to use him.

Watched the 5A state games this year and last, didn't see "explosion". He just looked bigger and stronger and a little faster than most of the kids trying to tackle him. Has had a fantastic OL at NewPal and does know how to pick his way through any traffic left at they plow the road.

His alleged shuttle time would have been the 3rd best at the 2019 NFL combine for RBs... That type of quickness gets scholarship offers from schools not named Indiana State. I hope he does well here, but I am not expecting him to beat out Stevie or Samspon. So maybe by 2023 he plays a little?

My prediction is that the contributions he makes his Freshman year will be the same he makes as long as he stays with it. His body is there and he's not going to conceivably get bigger/stronger. (can't forget that Ralph comes from a major college background and I'm sure that he's got those boys at New Pal lifting weights for maximum effect).

Objectively, I can't see any way he's going to become an every down back for IU, ever. But he can find his niche and contribute however much he can.

And he certainly won't be the first nor last in that position. In my era, I always think of Jeremy Van Alstyne at Center Grove. He was the freaking man. A wrecking ball on defense and state champion (maybe runner up) heavy weight wrestler at like 220. Went to MSU and never really broke out. **Edit -- Went to Michigan**

And there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with any of that. Not everyone can play, much less be a star. He just needs to have a good college experience. If his ambition is to compete at the highest level he conceivably can, then hats off to him. If he decides after a year or two that he wants to drop to FCS or even D2 and "play" more, then God bless him too.

I love college football, but these are just kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly_32
My prediction is that the contributions he makes his Freshman year will be the same he makes as long as he stays with it. His body is there and he's not going to conceivably get bigger/stronger. (can't forget that Ralph comes from a major college background and I'm sure that he's got those boys at New Pal lifting weights for maximum effect).

Objectively, I can't see any way he's going to become an every down back for IU, ever. But he can find his niche and contribute however much he can.

And he certainly won't be the first nor last in that position. In my era, I always think of Jeremy Van Alstyne at Center Grove. He was the freaking man. A wrecking ball on defense and state champion (maybe runner up) heavy weight wrestler at like 220. Went to MSU and never really broke out.

And there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with any of that. Not everyone can play, much less be a star. He just needs to have a good college experience. If his ambition is to compete at the highest level he conceivably can, then hats off to him. If he decides after a year or two that he wants to drop to FCS or even D2 and "play" more, then God bless him too.

I love college football, but these are just kids.

This seemed to be a necessity though. I think more and more, we are seeing running back-by-committee. Think about the injuries and IU does heavy rotations.
As much as everyone wants a feature back who totes the rock every down, more and more teams have 1-3 guys.

Think of this year: Stevie got injured. We used Ronnie Walker and Sampson James and it was Ahrod Lloyd lined up in the backfield pushing Peyton into the end zone on the final play of the Bucket. We also had David Ellis running the ball.

I like him.

A lot.

His highlight you tube videos look like Forrest Gump...........

Reactions: Chriselli and mk23
This seemed to be a necessity though. I think more and more, we are seeing running back-by-committee. Think about the injuries and IU does heavy rotations.
As much as everyone wants a feature back who totes the rock every down, more and more teams have 1-3 guys.

Think of this year: Stevie got injured. We used Ronnie Walker and Sampson James and it was Ahrod Lloyd lined up in the backfield pushing Peyton into the end zone on the final play of the Bucket. We also had David Ellis running the ball.
Here is an example of a walk on at Wisconsin getting significant time at running back. Garret Groshek was a high school quarterback at a small high school and walked on and became a running back. Due to injuries and hard work he saw some time early in his career, and was given a Scholarship. With Johnathan Taylor there he isn't going to get 20 carries a game. However, he does see significant action as a Sub, and is very involved in their passing Game. If Spegal became a similar player, it would be worthwhile for everyone.

Reactions: mk23
Guys who put up those kinds of numbers almost always turn out to be successful, because they are winners. What was the hesitation on this guy getting offers? Army offered him. If it's a size issue, some of the greatest of all time were 5'8". 24-7 Sports lists him as 5-10. He also played for a 14-0 team that finished No. 1 in the state. We're lucky he's going to IU. Purdue didn't offer him anything? He doesn't need the weight room, by the way.

Reactions: midwolfe and DANC
Here is an example of a walk on at Wisconsin getting significant time at running back. Garret Groshek was a high school quarterback at a small high school and walked on and became a running back. Due to injuries and hard work he saw some time early in his career, and was given a Scholarship. With Johnathan Taylor there he isn't going to get 20 carries a game. However, he does see significant action as a Sub, and is very involved in their passing Game. If Spegal became a similar player, it would be worthwhile for everyone.

I'm really fascinated with C.S......His highlight you tube videos are unlike any I've ever seen.....they are a hoot, for anyone, like me, that had never seen him play.

We have had several really high profile record setting types with lower recruiting ratings.....Brett Law & Earl Haniford come to mind. There was also a kid from Bloomington South who played NG on Grossman's teams that was an absolute stud as a HS player. He went about 5'10" 220 lbs or so......he walked on at IU but wasn't able to make any impact......can't recall the kid's name....

So....the odds would appear to be against CS.....watching him on you tube, I thought he'd be PERFECT for Army's system.......obviously, there is a lot more to the West Point commitment than just football...in any event, I hope he beats the odds......if he does, he'll be one of our most popular players ever........

Reactions: midwolfe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT