ADVERTISEMENT

Charges Issued In Breonna Taylor Case

They’re civilly liable and the city has settled. They’re not criminally liable because it wasn’t an illegal plan. It was just an awful plan.
That's just wrong then. Negligence (if that was what it was) that leads to death should always be held accountable criminally. Command failure is not the fault of the troop.

That's just wrong then. Negligence (if that was what it was) that leads to death should always be held accountable criminally. Command failure is not the fault of the troop.
What’s kind of F’d up is the individuals almost never pay. They might get canned or demoted but they don’t pay damages for the most part.

What’s kind of F’d up is the individuals almost never pay. They might get canned or demoted but they don’t pay damages for the most part.
This was the wrong hill for BLM to take a stand on. I'm beginning to agree with you that they actually need administrative organized leadership to get anywhere even though that has issues of it's own. (I think that was you, right?) This current issue being an example why. This one is basically untenable. While with the choker, and other incidents, I think they have a case... this one.... not so much. The verdict on the officers was probably correct and this particular protest will not help their cause one bit.

What a f**ked up state of being this country is in.

This was the wrong hill for BLM to take a stand on. I'm beginning to agree with you that they actually need administrative organized leadership to get anywhere even though that has issues of it's own. (I think that was you, right?) This current issue being an example why. This one is basically untenable. While with the choker, and other incidents, I think they have a case... this one.... not so much. The verdict on the officers was probably correct and this particular protest will not help their cause one bit.

yeah that was me. this year has just been a complete shit show. i think it would help blm on two fronts: 1) to distance themselves from bad shit that some knucklehead may do wearing a blm hat. they can say say yeah we didn't sanction/endorse that and 2) i'm just purely speculating but you get that many nba players behind them and the league they could have some real money coming their way (if they haven't already). a disorganized movement that's flush invites trouble re accountability and where the money's goin

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Command failure isn’t illegal unless it involves issuing illegal orders. Setting troops into a position where failure chances are enhanced is still not illegal, it’s just poor commanding. Nobody made the cop spray and pray into other residences. That’s illegal. It’s also another example, tangentially, why ARs are bad for home defense - they go straight thru walls and cause massive collateral damage.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Command failure isn’t illegal unless it involves issuing illegal orders.
I get that but if it is negligent in any way it should be.

Maybe police leadership should be charged for creating a botched operation that not only resulted in death but unnecessarily put officers in danger.

Regardless, BLM is blaming the wrong people in this one. That's my gist.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
You mean they removed him from rehab?
Yep he would call and they would get him released. I don't think rehab was part of his jail sentence just something the family tried but as soon as he cried he wanted out they got him out.

Yep he would call and they would get him released. I don't think rehab was part of his jail sentence just something the family tried but as soon as he cried he wanted out they got him out.
Tragic

Actually a couple of us.

Sounds like you are learning. Good for you. Keep reading.

yeah that was me. this year has just been a complete shit show. i think it would help blm on two fronts: 1) to distance themselves from bad shit that some knucklehead may do wearing a blm hat. they can say say yeah we didn't sanction/endorse that and 2) i'm just purely speculating but you get that many nba players behind them and the league they could have some real money coming their way (if they haven't already). a disorganized movement that's flush invites trouble re accountability and where the money's goin

Perhaps a modern day NAACP.

Your first point is among the most important...the other is Marketing. Understand how to change the hearts and minds of those who need to be changed.

Good Marketing: The phrase that BLM used on TV ad that now is on billboards: "All lives can't matter until Black lives Matter" Brilliant on several levels. Address a line many white people have used without demonizing them.

Bad Marketing: Taking a knee while the NA is played, the giant flag is unfurled and the eagle flies around section 201. Gee...what could go wrong Colin?

Good Marketing: Let's restructure some police responsibilities to (among other things) include trained Mental health professionals to respond to certain types of situations.

Bad Marketing: Defund Police!

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Your first point is among the most important...the other is Marketing. Understand how to change the hearts and minds of those who need to be changed.

Good Marketing: The phrase that BLM used on TV ad that now is on billboards: "All lives can't matter until Black lives Matter" Brilliant on several levels. Address a line many white people have used without demonizing them.

Bad Marketing: Taking a knee while the NA is played, the giant flag is unfurled and the eagle flies around section 201. Gee...what could go wrong Colin?

Good Marketing: Let's restructure some police responsibilities to (among other things) include trained Mental health professionals to respond to certain types of situations.

agreed on all fronts. as for modern day naacp i think you're spot on. i said urban league or naacp a while back on here when we were broaching this idea and someone (don't remember who) made short shrift of it saying something like those old agencies blah blah blah this is a new movement blah blah blah implying they didn't want to associate with naacp and urban. a good buddy of mine from high school is the president of the urban league in saint louis. and i got to thinking about it and he's 50 and the lion's share of the urban league board is older than dirt. so wtf do i know. whoever was posting that is probably right. i think you're spot on in engendering a new agency that's a modern day NAACP to do those things you note

Last edited:

I didn’t think you were that smart, But that was a pretty good post that addressed the problem!

Breonna wasn’t an EMT she was fired in 2017!
She was on the warrant as was her car and apartmen.
She was not in bed when her boyfriend shot first!

agreed on all fronts. as for modern day naacp i think you're spot on. i said urban league or naacp a while back on here when we were broaching this idea and someone (don't remember who) made short shrift of it saying something like those old agencies blah blah blah this is a new movement blah blah blah implying they didn't want to associate with naacp and urban. a good buddy of mine from high school is the president of the urban league in saint louis. and i got to thinking about it and he's 50 and the lion's share of the urban league board is older than dirt. so wtf do i know. whoever was posting that is probably right. i think you're spot on in engendering a new agency that's a modern day NAACP to do those things you note

That was me with the blah blah blahs. I stand by those blah blah blahs. Lol. I just kinda see why the kids aren’t putting much faith in these institutions — what’s changed under their guidance the last generation or so? Maybe wrongly, but I don’t see the benefits of packaging this. So they can copyright a logo and collect donations? Saw a recent poll saying 2/3s of Americans think systemic racism exists. Maybe it’s working.

That was me with the blah blah blahs. I stand by those blah blah blahs. Lol. I just kinda see why the kids aren’t putting much faith in these institutions — what’s changed under their guidance the last generation or so? Maybe wrongly, but I don’t see the benefits of packaging this. So they can copyright a logo and collect donations? Saw a recent poll saying 2/3s of Americans think systemic racism exists. Maybe it’s working.
I kind of agree with you on the old stilted organizations losing their way; but support for blm is dropping and there really hasn’t been any tangible effect. Lots of noise no change. Why? Because what’s the goal? Defund police. Idiotic marketing followed by riots and looting. Defund police (reallocation etc) ain’t happening now in any meaningful way. Okay systemic racism? Where? What changes? There’s already statutory protections in place. What new laws have been widely implemented or are being widely implemented as a result? We both know systemic racism exists but pinpointing and crafting laws to address it takes razor sharp organization and skill.

There was a yahoo article today about the Minneapolis council and their regret in the “defund” police approach. They cite the decreasing support for blm, which was inevitable. Now they are going back.

This movement had a lot of support and benefitted from its grassroots approach but if it doesn’t want to fizzle out, which it’s doing, it needs to organize itself and define its goals. Rallying behind cases like breonna Taylor just creates less legitimacy. The movement needs more structure or it will be right back where it was six months ago.

Last edited:
I agree, the propaganda is working on the lemmings...

I kind of agree with you on the old stilted organizations losing their way; but support for blm is dropping and there really hasn’t been any tangible effect. Lots of noise no change. Why? Because what’s the goal? Defund police. Idiotic marketing followed by riots and looting. Defund police (reallocation etc) ain’t happening now in any meaningful way. Okay systemic racism? Where? What changes? There’s already statutory protections in place. What new laws have been widely implemented or are being widely implemented as a result? We both know systemic racism exists but pinpointing and crafting laws to address it takes razor sharp organization and skill.

There was a yahoo article today about the Minneapolis council and their regret in the “defund” police approach. They cite the decreasing support for blm, which was inevitable. Now they are going back.

This movement had a lot of support and benefitted from its grassroots approach but if it doesn’t want to fizzle out, which it’s doing, it needs to organize itself and define its goals. Rallying behind cases like breonna Taylor just creates less legitimacy. The movement needs more structure or it will be right back where it was six months ago.

how are you measuring the drop in support for BLM? if anything it seems to me we've been in a cycle for several years now where they'll be an incident, the protestors hit the streets, most of us sit at home and say "damn", nothing happens, repeat the cycle. Applying more consistent pressure seems like a good next step if nothing else has worked until now.

idiotic marketing? i'm not sure you'd feel that way if you lived in a community that was policed differently than your current neighborhood and ALWAYS has been. ya, Defund the Police is pretty ballsy and totally unrealistic but at least it's starting a national conversation. again, nothing seems to have stuck until now. folks will be taking these ideas to the polls. no, police were generally not defunded but the needle is being moved (it's going to be a debate topic!). so pinpointing and crafting laws to address systemic racism is so difficult we shouldn't ever try it? wha? or would it make more sense to say city councils (like Minneapolis) etc. will try and fail on many approaches before they get some stuff right?

i think you're describing an organization you'd be comfortable with. i don't disagree with the advantages of that but tell me what current buttoned-up organizations are succeeding on this front? but, anyway, the kids aren't having it, god bless them. and what about the olds track record on this shit gives them any confidence we can point the way? seriously? our reaction to the first wave of BLM protests was to......elect a White Nationalist president. lol

youngs up, olds down.

The VICE reporting and body camera footage raises a lot of questions about KY AG Cameron's decision and what was presented to the grand jury. Also backs up some of Walker's testimony as to what happened.

how are you measuring the drop in support for BLM? if anything it seems to me we've been in a cycle for several years now where they'll be an incident, the protestors hit the streets, most of us sit at home and say "damn", nothing happens, repeat the cycle. Applying more consistent pressure seems like a good next step if nothing else has worked until now.

Emotional movements have little to no staying power. The reaction to George Floyd was in large part emotional and in small part a genuine movement to end discrimination and unequal treatment.

The anti-police movement of a few months ago was totally emotional. Public officials, pundits, the public, and cultural leaders jumped on such things as defund the police, take police shows off T.V., take police out of schools, retrain the police, fundamentally reform the police, the police exist because of run away slaves, blue lives don't matter, burning patrol cars on sight, painting BLM on city streets, and more. The video of George Floyd's head under a cop's knee for 8 minutes is gut wrenching and the emotional reaction is natural. What isn't natural our leaders and opinion makers nurturing that emotion with speeches, paint, and silly legislative defund, end qualified immunity, and other proposals. Everything positive about policing was stripped from our culture.

How do I know the emotional BLM movement is fading? This is why. One of the pillars of BLM, DEFUND THE POLICE! has collapsed at its epicenter.

A member of the grand jury that did not indict Louisville police for Breonna Taylor's murder is now suing for the release of court transcripts and related records. The jury member's motion says it was filed so that "the truth may prevail."
The motion was filed Monday

A member of the grand jury that did not indict Louisville police for Breonna Taylor's murder is now suing for the release of court transcripts and related records. The jury member's motion says it was filed so that "the truth may prevail."
Should be interesting.

I read where the lawyer of the juror said that jurors weren't given the option of charging the police with the killing of Taylor.

If true, not good for the A.G. of Kentucky.

You may want to reconsider making light of all of this. I hope and pray that I am wrong, and you do not regret this later. Just sayin.

This open carry of AR-15s (and all assault weapons) has to stop. It's absurd to see these lunatics on our streets with their guns and body armor pretending to be "helping". I despise looters, but these wannabe Delta Force operators are going to cause a lot more damage than some stolen merch from Gucci one day and the police aren't going to be able to do anything about it.

You're absolutely right. It's no joke.

I read where the lawyer of the juror said that jurors weren't given the option of charging the police with the killing of Taylor.

If true, not good for the A.G. of Kentucky.
Cameron had previously refused to release the records the judge she has ordered. He said last night that he will comply with the order for them to be released. He said, "The release of the recording will also address the legal complaint filed by an anonymous grand juror. We have no concerns with grand jurors sharing their thoughts on our presentation because we are confident in the case we presented."

Cameron had previously refused to release the records the judge she has ordered. He said last night that he will comply with the order for them to be released. He said, "The release of the recording will also address the legal complaint filed by an anonymous grand juror. We have no concerns with grand jurors sharing their thoughts on our presentation because we are confident in the case we presented."

The way I've read this, this juror is saying they didn't get the whole story.

Video is now coming out of police involved in the shooting walking around freely in the apartment when they weren't suppose to. A recording of the only witness to hear the police announce themselves has come out where he said that he didn't hear the police two months before he did say he heard them.

This is all just crazy.

Reactions: brianiu and Fro
The way I've read this, this juror is saying they didn't get the whole story.

Video is now coming out of police involved in the shooting walking around freely in the apartment when they weren't suppose to. A recording of the only witness to hear the police announce themselves has come out where he said that he didn't hear the police two months before he did say he heard them.

This is all just crazy.
Crazy times indeed

From the grand jury tapes

"Banged on the door -- no response. Banged on it again -- no response. At that point we started announcing ourselves," one of the officers, Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, said in a March interview that was played before the grand jury. He said officers banged on the front door "six or seven" times before breaking into the apartment, where Taylor was with her boyfriend.

"We did announce the first couple of times because our intent was not to hit the door. Our intent was to give her plenty of time to come to get to the door," Mattingly said in an interview with the police sergeant."

I saw this posted on Twitter today...

Ballistics have been inconclusive on who shot the cop. The Kentucky A.G. was caught in a lie when he said it could have only been the boyfriend because the cops didn't have that caliber of gun when one of the cops was indeed carrying a 9 as well that night.

Every step of the way, the cops have made it harder and harder to believe them in this thing.

Reactions: UncleMark
I saw this posted on Twitter today...

Ballistics have been inconclusive on who shot the cop. The Kentucky A.G. was caught in a lie when he said it could have only been the boyfriend because the cops didn't have that caliber of gun when one of the cops was indeed carrying a 9 as well that night.

Every step of the way, the cops have made it harder and harder to believe them in this thing.

Where did you hear a cop had a 9 mm THAT NIGHT?

I know a lawyer involved who said he has a "personnel record" (that he didn't disclose and told folks to get through a FOIA request if they wanted to see it) that says the cop who was indicted (who was outside the apartment and shot the place up, then came inside and got thrown out by a superior because (a) he was not supposed to be inside and (b) he shot the place up and could have hit other cops easier than a perp) "was issued" a 9 mm at some unidentified point in his career. But he has NOT said the cop had THAT GUN on him THAT night, or SHOT it that night.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Where did you hear a cop had a 9 mm THAT NIGHT?

I know a lawyer involved who said he has a "personnel record" (that he didn't disclose and told folks to get through a FOIA request if they wanted to see it) that says the cop who was indicted (who was outside the apartment and shot the place up, then came inside and got thrown out by a superior because (a) he was not supposed to be inside and (b) he shot the place up and could have hit other cops easier than a perp) "was issued" a 9 mm at some unidentified point in his career. But he has NOT said the cop had THAT GUN on him THAT night, or SHOT it that night.

I would ask, do we know if he didn't use It?

The way this police department has twisted things every step of the way, it's hard to trust anything they've said in this case.

I am awaiting accountability for the Judicial Branch. Judges have let us down by not paying better attention to warrants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT