ADVERTISEMENT

Charges Issued In Breonna Taylor Case

CO it might make sense to take a serious look at these no knock warrants. i don't know much about them but what i do know is somewhat problematic. one they're just at the discretion of the judge so if a judge "thinks" it's needed you got it. what's more they were integral i guess to the war on drugs to keep cops safer (ostensibly) and because in fighting the war on drugs traditional warrants were becoming a pain in the ass. bangin on the door while the bad guy flushes drugs etc.

i think at this point the risk reward of no knock warrants isn't worth it. admittedly i don't have stats - maybe someone can show how beneficial they've been in drug interdiction and i'm wrong - but absent that they don't seem worth it.

so maybe no knock warrants should be available for a category of crimes that becomes codified: sex trafficking; child abduction; kidnapping; etc. remove some discretion from judges and elevate the crimes available for no knock above drugs. just thinking out loud.

I don’t know how often no-knock warrants become a problem. I was personally involved with one in a civil action. The judge was.pretty careful with it. the deputies still announced themselves. I think no knock warrants have a use in limited circumstances. Maybe the judges who issue the warrants should up the standards.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Kamala Harris - what a disappointment. Her twitter posts about murder etc. in August. just pandering bs. A jury cleared them. Our politicians suck.

A jury cleared O.J. Was justice served in that case? Would it be pandering to note the problems in how that case went?

I have lots of problems with Kamala Harris, but I'm not sure her comments in regard to this case fit the bill.

Seems like thats all we do. When can we focus on some good things we may have in common? When will that be the message? Before you bring Trump into it, your folks aren't doing anything to address the powder keg, either. In fact, a lot of lefties striking matches these days...
Nobody has the answers, but we all need to see it as "our" problem, and not "their" problem.

A jury cleared O.J. Was he innocent?

I have lots of problems with Kamala Harris, but I'm not sure her comments in regard to this case fit the bill.
a jury cleared oj after a long protracted trial. here there wasn't even enough evidence to bring a case. apples to oranges to the extreme.

Kamala Harris
@KamalaHarris
·
Jul 21
It's been 130 days since Breonna Taylor was murdered by police in her own home. After they shot her, they left her there to die.

hoosboot the vp candidate saying "murdered by police" without knowing the facts is pathetic. murder is an unlawful, premeditated killing. people, regular folks in louisville reviewed the facts involved in this case and brought zero charges against these cops related to breonna. nothing. kamala's post is shameful pandering that does nothing but incite. and she's our hope to mend fences. good grief.

Last edited:
Nobody has the answers, but we all need to see it as "our" problem, and not "their" problem.

I agree, but that isn't going to happen for a long time. Reading this board will tell you that. It's always the
"others" fault/problem.

Reactions: bawlmer
I agree, but that isn't going to happen for a long time. Reading this board will tell you that. It's always the
"others" fault/problem.
My experience has shown me, in times of my greatest need, I only need enough humility to ask for help, and invariably I receive more than my share. I never get anything if I'm pointing the finger of blame at others.

Reactions: UncleMark
a jury cleared oj after a long protracted trial. here there wasn't even enough evidence to bring a case. apples to oranges to the extreme.

Kamala Harris
@KamalaHarris
·
Jul 21
It's been 130 days since Breonna Taylor was murdered by police in her own home. After they shot her, they left her there to die.

hoosboot the vp candidate saying "murdered by police" without knowing the facts is pathetic. murder is an unlawful, premeditated killing. people, regular folks in louisville reviewed the facts involved in this case and brought zero charges against these cops related to breonna. nothing. kamala's post is shameful pandering that does nothing but incite. and she's our hope to mend fences. good grief.
It doesn't seem like murder fits the circumstances. But there does need to be accountability for police actions that go beyond appropriate response. Firing dozens of rounds into a dark apartment with no return fire seems like a criminal abuse of power.

Don't act naive.

Accurate statement: "Reports are that a police officer has been shot."
Inflammatory shitpost: "Protesters just shot a cop."

I understand your point. How do you square that with the tens of thousands who went straight to "criminal charges" including murder for the Louisville cops immediately after the shooting and every day since?

Reactions: HillzHoozier
It doesn't seem like murder fits the circumstances. But there does need to be accountability for police actions that go beyond appropriate response. Firing dozens of rounds into a dark apartment with no return fire seems like a criminal abuse of power.
The police were fired on first in this case.

So a USAToday article says that no one indicated, "no true bill was returned". The article suggests the lack of that could indicate the grand jury was never asked to consider charges on the other two officers. So lawyers, what does that mean? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-charges-breonna-taylor-decision/3510392001/

Walker's (the boyfriend's) attorney was interviewed last night and said that in Kentucky self-defense law one is still required to identify their target and is still responsible if their rounds hit a third party. He said there is no law enforcement exemption. It would seem certain that murder would be off any table given what that USAToday article says. But it seems some other crimes could fit, including the wanton endangerment. So whether or not a "no true bill" exists and what that means might well matter as far as knowing what the grand jury was asked to consider.

After rousing an armed man with 2A rights from slumber at 1am. Let’s just hope that doesn’t happen to you or someone for whom you care.

Agreed. My issue here is not with the three cops as much as it is the judge and police management that put them (and the victim) in that position.

Step one: Blow open the door at 1 AM......what could go wrong?

After rousing an armed man with 2A rights from slumber at 1am. Let’s just hope that doesn’t happen to you or someone for whom you care.

I am kind of torn on this. Saint Breonna was not the completely innocent person that we were all led to believe. I think the no knock warrants need revisited but we also need the media to start being a bit more responsible with their messaging.

Breonna dated a guy dealing drugs, she was caught on wiretap discussing his business, she had packages being picked up by druggie ex boyfriend from the apartment that was raided, the guy woke from slumber may have had notice that it was the police but fired anyway....

People need to start being reminded of some of the old morals that we taught when I was younger. Like Aesop's Fables. You are the company you keep at times. Now did she deserve to die? No, but mich like someone who gets in the car with a known drunk and let's them drive away, you are taking a big risk with the company you keep.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I am kind of torn on this. Saint Breonna was not the completely innocent person that we were all led to believe. I think the no knock warrants need revisited but we also need the media to start being a bit more responsible with their messaging.

Breonna dated a guy dealing drugs, she was caught on wiretap discussing his business, she had packages being picked up by druggie ex boyfriend from the apartment that was raided, the guy woke from slumber may have had notice that it was the police but fired anyway....

People need to start being reminded of some of the old morals that we taught when I was younger. Like Aesop's Fables. You are the company you keep at times. Now did she deserve to die? No, but mich like someone who gets in the car with a known drunk and let's them drive away, you are taking a big risk with the company you keep.
How can we expect the media to be responsible when 1) we have a vp candidate irresponsibly tweeting this is murder like she’s Alyssa Milano and 2) trump being trump. I hate the media but we’ve created them.

How can we expect the media to be responsible when 1) we have a vp candidate irresponsibly tweeting this is murder like she’s Alyssa Milano and 2) trump being trump. I hate the media but we’ve created them.

This is spot on.

The police were fired on first in this case.

Apparently one shot was fired at police. From what I can tell, the response was that police fired at least close to 20 shots.

Maybe Taylor would have been killed even if only 1 bullet was fired in response. But there has to be a line between an appropriate police response to a threat and excessive and reckless use of force.

Officer Hankison was fired and convicted for crossing that line. But apparently he didn't fire the shot that killed Taylor. He probably would be headed to prison if it was his shot.

Apparently one shot was fired at police. From what I can tell, the response was that police fired at least close to 20 shots.

Maybe Taylor would have been killed even if only 1 bullet was fired in response. But there has to be a line between an appropriate police response to a threat and excessive and reckless use of force.

Officer Hankison was fired and convicted for crossing that line. But apparently he didn't fire the shot that killed Taylor. He probably would be headed to prison if it was his shot.
it's actually pretty common. cops don't like the term but it's called contagious fire.

Reactions: hoosboot

So you really are saying anyone who associates with drug dealers probably had it coming...a little bit? I’m sure you just mean “street drugs.” Armed people are selling illegal drugs on your street too. Seriously, go buy a Xanax from your hunting buddy and spare us this bullshit.

imo, democracy only works if it acts as a pendulum, overtime going to the left and then to the right.
However, WE have, thru the content we choose/people we elect, taken that pendulum and swung it as hard as we could. We have taken "tit for tat" (which can be effective) and made into escalation.
trump is a by product of this, not the genesis...but he needs to be voted out b/c of his escalation.

Reactions: hondo314
Ok?

I’m not sure why you would say that but, alrighty then.

I just pointed out that the cops didn’t “fire dozens of rounds into a dark apartment with no return fire”.

Why is there always the need to blame someone else for our own behavior. Accepting that Harris and Trump suck, so what? This whole "Trump caused me to riot" line of thought is such garbage. People are responsible for their actions. The media sucked before Trump and before Harris. They peddle sensationalism to compete in an entertainment market place.

They gleefully play up these issues because when the cities burn, they get clicks and views. And the people who go out and freak out at things like this are their own problem. We had people rioting in Indianapolis several months ago for a guy that posted video of himself doing drivebys on social media. The NFL said he was a guy that was ok to put on a helmet. George Floyd had a potentially lethal dose of fentanyl in his system and was convicted of putting a gun in a pregnant ladies stomach while he and his buddies robbed her. Do they deserve to die? Does anyone? Maybe not. But we need to get back to a point where we are placing some responsibility back on individuals. Trump did not make you burn that neighborhood down, you did. And yeah you were shot by that cop, why were you resisting arrest after a domestic disturbance with your girlfriend (who you just sexually assaulted) all while reaching into your car while holding or going for a knife? That is not systemic racism, it is you being a damn idiot.

Outside people can have an influence on your life. However it is often our own bad decisions that are our downfall. We need to stop lionizing people who are, in most cases, victims of their own poor choices.

So you really are saying anyone who associates with drug dealers probably had it coming...a little bit? I’m sure you just mean “street drugs.” Armed people are selling illegal drugs on your street too. Seriously, go buy a Xanax from your hunting buddy and spare us this bullshit.

I am saying don't put yourself into a position where this could happen. I don't have hunting buddies and if I needed Xanax I would go to a doctor.

Spare me your bullshit where hanging out with a known criminal and being a part of his operation (if even just a passive part) is not setting yourself up to be a target of both law enforcement and competitors.

And to edit more: Your line of thinking is exactly what I was addressing above. You drink and drive, you could get killed. You go to buy drugs from a drug dealer, you may get shot, robbed, arrested. You hang out with criminals, you may get wrapped up in what they are doing, you may be an innocent party, but you are there. You have a child by multiple women and have child support out the ass, your fault. I am saying that you are responsible for you and generally speaking, people who live by that credo end up ok in life. People who live with an understanding that things always happen to them, tend to struggle.

Last edited:
I am saying don't put yourself into a position where this could happen. I don't have hunting buddies and if I needed Xanax I would go to a doctor.

Spare me your bullshit where hanging out with a known criminal and being a part of his operation (if even just a passive part) is not setting yourself up to be a target of both law enforcement and competitors.

So, again, the friends and lovers of your Xanax selling hunting buddy are setting themselves up for excessive violence by police? This is getting better...

Reactions: Lucy01
So a USAToday article says that no one indicated, "no true bill was returned". The article suggests the lack of that could indicate the grand jury was never asked to consider charges on the other two officers. So lawyers, what does that mean? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-charges-breonna-taylor-decision/3510392001/

Walker's (the boyfriend's) attorney was interviewed last night and said that in Kentucky self-defense law one is still required to identify their target and is still responsible if their rounds hit a third party. He said there is no law enforcement exemption. It would seem certain that murder would be off any table given what that USAToday article says. But it seems some other crimes could fit, including the wanton endangerment. So whether or not a "no true bill" exists and what that means might well matter as far as knowing what the grand jury was asked to consider.
That could be true; but again Marv all of this is pure speculation when the records/testimony are sealed. Honestly as long as the cops returned fire homicide was never going to stick.

As stated by so many others the real point is why are we doing 1 am no knock raids over drugs

And to edit more: Your line of thinking is exactly what I was addressing above. You drink and drive, you could get killed. You go to buy drugs from a drug dealer, you may get shot, robbed, arrested. You hang out with criminals, you may get wrapped up in what they are doing, you may be an innocent party, but you are there. You have a child by multiple women and have child support out the ass, your fault. I am saying that you are responsible for you and generally speaking, people who live by that credo end up ok in life. People who live with an understanding that things always happen to them, tend to struggle.
Watch out you are speaking too much truth for this board to handle.

So, again, the friends and lovers of your Xanax selling hunting buddy are setting themselves up for excessive violence by police? This is getting better...

You speak like you are the one with Xanax selling friends. I would put distance between you and them.

But yeah, if you are the wife of xanax selling buddy, you can lose your house, car, etc. if he gets raided. If you are a friend of xanax selling buddy and he gets pulled over and his xanax are on your side of the car, you could be screwed.

Welcome to the real world.

Why is there always the need to blame someone else for our own behavior. Accepting that Harris and Trump suck, so what? This whole "Trump caused me to riot" line of thought is such garbage. People are responsible for their actions. The media sucked before Trump and before Harris. They peddle sensationalism to compete in an entertainment market place.

They gleefully play up these issues because when the cities burn, they get clicks and views. And the people who go out and freak out at things like this are their own problem. We had people rioting in Indianapolis several months ago for a guy that posted video of himself doing drivebys on social media. The NFL said he was a guy that was ok to put on a helmet. George Floyd had a potentially lethal dose of fentanyl in his system and was convicted of putting a gun in a pregnant ladies stomach while he and his buddies robbed her. Do they deserve to die? Does anyone? Maybe not. But we need to get back to a point where we are placing some responsibility back on individuals. Trump did not make you burn that neighborhood down, you did. And yeah you were shot by that cop, why were you resisting arrest after a domestic disturbance with your girlfriend (who you just sexually assaulted) all while reaching into your car while holding or going for a knife? That is not systemic racism, it is you being a damn idiot.

Outside people can have an influence on your life. However it is often our own bad decisions that are our downfall. We need to stop lionizing people who are, in most cases, victims of their own poor choices.

That’s a big “maybe” there. Jesus. George Floyd served his time. But he still kinda maybe deserved to die?

That’s a big “maybe” there. Jesus. George Floyd served his time. But he still kinda maybe deserved to die?

You are conflating "deserved" with "doing things that could lead to death". He did not deserve to die, but he had a whole bunch of decisions he made that day that increased his chances to die. It started with the potentially lethal dose of fentanyl he had in his system before he ever crossed paths with Chauvin and Co.

You speak like you are the one with Xanax selling friends. I would put distance between you and them.

But yeah, if you are the wife of xanax selling buddy, you can lose your house, car, etc. if he gets raided. If you are a friend of xanax selling buddy and he gets pulled over and his xanax are on your side of the car, you could be screwed.

Welcome to the real world.

Got it! The (fake) war on drugs needs to be fought violently, especially against folks who have criminal records.

Welcome to the world you created. Now please walk into that glorious light, Boomer! Warning: there are mountains of drugs in Heaven. Lol

I think what he is saying is live a virtuous life and these things don't happen. My cousin who is a painter filled a prescription for one of the bottom feeders he use to employ, guess what the next day the police came to his house with a search warrant. Cost him $3000.00 to get out of the mess, all because of who he was associated with he got zero sympathy from the family. Guess what, he started to hire a bit more reputable people and issues like that mysteriously went away.

Does anyone else wonder why she was in the hallway with the boyfriend? If they thought it was an intruder wouldn't it have been wise to lock her in the bedroom and have her call 911? I'm 100% sure that if this were my house and I choose to go explore the last thing I would do is have my wife come with me.

Got it! The (fake) war on drugs needs to be fought violently, especially against folks who have criminal records.

Welcome to the world you created. Now please walk into that glorious light, Boomer! Warning: there are mountains of drugs in Heaven. Lol

I'm not a boomer, but you are apparently a child. We're done here....go take another hit of the bong maaaaan.

ADVERTISEMENT