ADVERTISEMENT

Change TO Big Ten Tournament That Might Be Helpful

Crossblock

Junior
Jan 8, 2019
I thought about this the other day. One of the dangers of this Tournament and Number of Participating Teams is you have good teams taking the risk of being beaten a lower seeded team. The lower seeded teams with poor regular season records aren't going to make the Tournament anyway with that one Win, while the losing team may be harmed by that loss.

When I was growing up in Wisconsin, they had a 1 Class Tournament that was set up like this. Eight teams made the field, and the four first round games were played on Thursday. The winners went into the Winners Bracket and the Losers to a Consolation Bracket. On Friday Afternoon the 2 Consolation Games were played, and the 2 Winner's Bracket Games on Friday Night. On Saturday Afternoon the Consolation Bracket Game was played, as was the 3rd place game between the losers of Friday Nights Games. The Championship Game was played in a separate session Saturday night.

Suppose you did the same thing in the Big Ten Tournament. Take your top 8 teams from regular season, and seed them in this type of field. Nobody goes home until they play at least two games. If you lose a first round game, you have a chance to play the next day, and maybe into a 3rd game.

As all of these teams are almost assured of being in the NCAA field based upon their regular season work. Now the Tournament becomes an opportunity to make a final Statement to the Committee, and a loss to a Tournament Team doesn't do significant harm to your position.

Another bonus. You play your Championship game on Saturday night rather than late Sunday afternoon, where you put your two Championship Game teams in Tournament Seeding Hell.

I thought about this the other day. One of the dangers of this Tournament and Number of Participating Teams is you have good teams taking the risk of being beaten a lower seeded team. The lower seeded teams with poor regular season records aren't going to make the Tournament anyway with that one Win, while the losing team may be harmed by that loss.

When I was growing up in Wisconsin, they had a 1 Class Tournament that was set up like this. Eight teams made the field, and the four first round games were played on Thursday. The winners went into the Winners Bracket and the Losers to a Consolation Bracket. On Friday Afternoon the 2 Consolation Games were played, and the 2 Winner's Bracket Games on Friday Night. On Saturday Afternoon the Consolation Bracket Game was played, as was the 3rd place game between the losers of Friday Nights Games. The Championship Game was played in a separate session Saturday night.

Suppose you did the same thing in the Big Ten Tournament. Take your top 8 teams from regular season, and seed them in this type of field. Nobody goes home until they play at least two games. If you lose a first round game, you have a chance to play the next day, and maybe into a 3rd game.

As all of these teams are almost assured of being in the NCAA field based upon their regular season work. Now the Tournament becomes an opportunity to make a final Statement to the Committee, and a loss to a Tournament Team doesn't do significant harm to your position.

Another bonus. You play your Championship game on Saturday night rather than late Sunday afternoon, where you put your two Championship Game teams in Tournament Seeding Hell.
The only tournament that truly matters is the one that has 68 in it. By the time conference tourney begins, these teams have played 30 games (in a non-covid season). I think what you outline would be fun, and it's what happens for tournaments early in the year, ie maui invite. But for end of the season, we know what teams are good, what teams are on the fringe and which teams are not. No need to perpetuate any of it. JMO.

The only tournament that truly matters is the one that has 68 in it. By the time conference tourney begins, these teams have played 30 games (in a non-covid season). I think what you outline would be fun, and it's what happens for tournaments early in the year, ie maui invite. But for end of the season, we know what teams are good, what teams are on the fringe and which teams are not. No need to perpetuate any of it. JMO.
With regard to too many games, think about the current Format. Right now you have two teams with a first round bye and two teams with a double bye. If I'm counting correctly you have several teams who have the possibility of playing 3 Tournament Games. I'm not so sure how much the byes help except for additional rest after the end of the regular season. Sometimes teams who sit around for a couple of days get stale and get out of rhythm.

If you are going anywhere in the NCAA tournament, you will have to play the first two weekends, and play two tough teams in a period of 3 days. The 8 Team Conference Tournament may help toughen a team up for the upcoming competition.

With regard to too many games, think about the current Format. Right now you have two teams with a first round bye and two teams with a double bye.
Which is ridiculous, done only to sell seats and TV time. With a 14 team conference, there should only be two byes.

Reactions: outlawyer
Which is ridiculous, done only to sell seats and TV time. With a 14 team conference, there should only be two byes.
The Big 10, ACC and SEC, all conferences with 14 members, construct their brackets in this manner. Curious how you would do it.

Last edited:

Meh, if you finish in the bottom 6, you should be punished. If you finish in the top 4, you should be rewarded. I love the current format of the BTT.

ADVERTISEMENT