ADVERTISEMENT

Chambers done at Penn St

If it is soley about that “noose” comment, then that is just ridiculous. Understand the history, but that is crazy to ruin a mans career.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
If it is soley about that “noose” comment, then that is just ridiculous. Understand the history, but that is crazy to ruin a mans career.

I thought the same, but the kid did say that there were other comments made that told him this wasn't just a mistake or something. I get that it's a racially charged word, but, using it in the manner he did really just says I want to lighten your load... take away worries, help you make things easier, etc... But then I guess he could have just said any of those things. I'm cleary a white male, but I think my common sense would tell me to avoid using the term noose with a black player, student or co-worker. But my gut reaction, is that's an overreaction just for that one incident.

I thought the same, but the kid did say that there were other comments made that told him this wasn't just a mistake or something. I get that it's a racially charged word, but, using it in the manner he did really just says I want to lighten your load... take away worries, help you make things easier, etc... But then I guess he could have just said any of those things. I'm cleary a white male, but I think my common sense would tell me to avoid using the term noose with a black player, student or co-worker. But my gut reaction, is that's an overreaction just for that one incident.

It is an overreaction world today. The middle ground is gone. The twitter, facebook world is you are either for us or against us.

Damn, I am getting old.

Am as progressive as most anyone but have to agree. Nothing in context that suggests any racial bias, denigration or reference. At worst he might be guilty/accused of mildly insensitive word choice, but it's not as if the historic, linguistic or real-word use of 'noose' is remotely exclusive to 'people of color' despite the kLan's utilization of it as symbol/murder weapon. If one is Black that doubtless shifts the interpretation for many, but most Americans know it first and foremost as a staple of Westerns (movies) and don't automatically register on it as a racist term so much as just another word in the English language. Nothing implicitly criminal, immoral or inherently insensitive in that, just the way it is. If the goal is/was change, hard to see this as a very fair/constructive way forward.

Could make a long list of words using the same criteria that are no longer 'appropriate' for use in conversation on account of their potential for causing offense, but sounds as if Chambers use of the word had absolutely nothing to do with the kid being black, simply a metaphor for struggle. If anyone needs therapy it's probably the kid who imagined that Chambers' comment was some sort of ethnic reference/slight and decided he had a moral obligation to go public and make it a thing.

Decision likely has more to do with the PSU brain trust still feeling encumbered by/trying to dig out from under the residual scandal of the Paterno era and operating in a state of hyper-political correctness. Pity. Guy worked really hard to raise that program up out of being the 'weak sister' of the Conference. Oh wait, is that a socially inappropriate term now? How retarded is that? Damn, did it again.

Am as progressive as most anyone but have to agree. Nothing in context that suggests any racial bias, denigration or reference. At worst he might be guilty/accused of mildly insensitive word choice, but it's not as if the historic, linguistic or real-word use of 'noose' is remotely exclusive to 'people of color' despite the kLan's utilization of it as symbol/murder weapon. If one is Black that doubtless shifts the interpretation for many, but most Americans know it first and foremost as a staple of Westerns (movies) and don't automatically register on it as a racist term so much as just another word in the English language. Nothing implicitly criminal, immoral or inherently insensitive in that, just the way it is. If the goal is/was change, hard to see this as a very fair/constructive way forward.

Could make a long list of words using the same criteria that are no longer 'appropriate' for use in conversation on account of their potential for causing offense, but sounds as if Chambers use of the word had absolutely nothing to do with the kid being black, simply a metaphor for struggle. If anyone needs therapy it's probably the kid who imagined that Chambers' comment was some sort of ethnic reference/slight and decided he had a moral obligation to go public and make it a thing.

Decision likely has more to do with the PSU brain trust still feeling encumbered by/trying to dig out from under the residual scandal of the Paterno era and operating in a state of hyper-political correctness. Pity. Guy worked really hard to raise that program up out of being the 'weak sister' of the Conference. Oh wait, is that a socially inappropriate term now? How retarded is that? Damn, did it again.
No it to do losing our freedom of speech, starting with these racial words, what words will be next to be outlawed? Books are next! But hey listen to their rap music if you want to hear some racist language!

I think the political correctness culture is a problem for our country. There is a difference, my opinion of course, in your intent.
I do not know the “noose” comment but let me make up an example.
What if he were trying to get a player to shed the feeling that he must carry the team? That player is placing himself under so much stress that his game and enjoyment of the game is hurt. The coach makes a comment about “there is no noose around your neck” or “no one will hang you for a mistake”. These comments would be meant to help not denigrate.

No it to do losing our freedom of speech, starting with these racial words, what words will be next to be outlawed? Books are next! But hey listen to their rap music if you want to hear some racist language!

Really? "...their rap music"? Your inability to differentiate between "their" and "they're" aside, you sound like an idiot. Who is "they" exactly"? People of color? Because some rappers who speak like whatever happen to be black entitles you to pass judgement and make sweeping generalizations about all black people?

Crackers doesn't work for breakfast. I'm out.

Reactions: Hoosierific

You can't be that progressive...that made too much sense. ;)

I think the political correctness culture is a problem for our country. There is a difference, my opinion of course, in your intent.
I do not know the “noose” comment but let me make up an example.
What if he were trying to get a player to shed the feeling that he must carry the team? That player is placing himself under so much stress that his game and enjoyment of the game is hurt. The coach makes a comment about “there is no noose around your neck” or “no one will hang you for a mistake”. These comments would be meant to help not denigrate.

But, c'mon. Common sense tells me not to use those words because of who I'm talking to. Why not just say, "you don't have to carry the team" or "don't feel like it's all on you!"?

It's really not that hard. Yes, mistakes will be made, but if everyone does what they can to reduce them, there will be way fewer and maybe it will become less common and less of an outrage. It used to be common to say "don't Jew me down", "don't be fag" or "don't throw like a girl"... times change. it's just not a big deal.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
But, c'mon. Common sense tells me not to use those words because of who I'm talking to. Why not just say, "you don't have to carry the team" or "don't feel like it's all on you!"?

It's really not that hard. Yes, mistakes will be made, but if everyone does what they can to reduce them, there will be way fewer and maybe it will become less common and less of an outrage. It used to be common to say "don't Jew me down", "don't be fag" or "don't throw like a girl"... times change. it's just not a big deal.
It’s a big deal to me! I like those sayings!

'Common sense' would also tell you that it's just not on everybody's radar. Yet. His comment that he's 'from the North' where there's not the same history and ergo sensitivity fits with that.

It didn't have to be a 'big deal', and based on what was reported, there are far more egregious things happening every day better suited/deserving of national 'teaching moments/retribution. Perhaps as much a timing issue as anything, have to believe that if that's all there is to the story no justice was served.

Two things--

--Agree that common sense would tell someone not to use that phrase. But don't most make 3 or 4 comments a week that common sense would have told us not make? If that's the worst thing he's said in 10 years at PSU....wow.

--As to your second point, those types of comments have already become far less common. But the effect has not been to reduce outrage, but rather to increase it , regarding statements considered to be out of bounds, regardless of the speaker's intent.

Reactions: 76-1
Any Penn State recruits that Archie may be able to pick up with his Pennsylvania connections?
Penn State Basketball goes back down near the bottom again. More coaching abuse issues at Penn State.

History is full of hangings, white and black. The Western culture thought nothing of hanging people when lawlessness was running rampant in the old west of the 1800's. The term "hanging judge" comes to mind. States had hanging as their form on capital punishment in the 20th Century.

There is an ESPN article that mentioned that kid transferring because of the noose comment. I feel for that kid....not because he heard the noose comment, but because that kid wont make it very far in life without some help. People probably used the kid for their own agenda....and that is a shame.

Reactions: Cavanagh
History is full of hangings, white and black. The Western culture thought nothing of hanging people when lawlessness was running rampant in the old west of the 1800's. The term "hanging judge" comes to mind. States had hanging as their form on capital punishment in the 20th Century.

There is an ESPN article that mentioned that kid transferring because of the noose comment. I feel for that kid....not because he heard the noose comment, but because that kid wont make it very far in life without some help. People probably used the kid for their own agenda....and that is a shame.
I feel bad for Chambers because I don't think he meant this as a racial point. One question I have is did these players go to him directly and ask him what he meant? I just can't believe a coach would purposefully make racial comments to players who are of another race. Your point about the history of hanging is important. More whites have been hung than blacks. So I guess white players should quit too. Your point about the player who quit is spot on. Somebody has taught him that the world ie the system is out to get him. If he is not careful he will be hung from a tree. It would be hard to go through life thinking this is true systematically.

Really? "...their rap music"? Your inability to differentiate between "their" and "they're" aside, you sound like an idiot. Who is "they" exactly"? People of color? Because some rappers who speak like whatever happen to be black entitles you to pass judgement and make sweeping generalizations about all black people?

Not to be a grammar expert in any way but Lucy used “their” correctly. And you call her out on it....

You’re the idiot, check your own grammar fool!

Always. As for the other - if it walks and sounds like a duck, call it one.
You’re funny, your race baiting is not going to work on me!
Maybe if you weren’t so lazy, you would be out trying to stop black on black shootings!
Instead, You worry about harmless words.

You’re funny, your race baiting is not going to work on me!
Maybe if you weren’t so lazy, you would be out trying to stop black on black shootings! Instead, You worry about harmless words.

Way to certify your ignorance. Might want to look up that term you're ironically tossing about to discover what it actually means.

But hey listen to their rap music...

Quack, quack.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT