ADVERTISEMENT

CFP Committee

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
CBS Sports, College Football News and the two guys who do the bowl projections at espn.com all have us in the Fiesta Bowl versus USC. Up until yesterday, I was of the opinion we were a lock for the Fiesta as long as OSU beats NW. After seeing the new CFP rankings last night, though, I'm not nearly as optimistic.

Yes, we moved up a spot but, with Miami getting destroyed, that was inevitable. The much more significant development, I think, was the committee's handling of the UF loss to LSU. After an embarrassing loss in Gainesville to a bad LSU team, Florida dropped just a single spot and, with that move, the CFP committee lost all credibility. For whatever reason, the committee is protecting the Gators, and I doubt that even a blowout loss to Alabama would drop them below us. Also, the committee's infatuation with Iowa State and, conversely, its shabby treatment of undefeated Cincinnati (dropping them in the rankings when they didn't play) are inexplicable, and don't bode well for IU.

Oklahoma is just above us in the rankings and some are assuming we'll jump them if they lose to Iowa State, but I'm not so sure. And Coastal Carolina, breathing down our necks, seems to have replaced us as the "feel-good" story of the 2020 season. If they beat Louisiana-Lafayette this weekend while we're idle, they could move ahead of us.

I guess I was naive. I should have recognized a systemic problem after the committee essentially ignored our win at then #16 Wisconsin earlier this month. I thought the widespread backlash that followed might knock some sense - - - and objectivity - - into them. I was wrong.

As someone (76-1, I think) pointed out in another thread, the Outback isn't a bad bowl and, given its Tampa location, certainly wouldn't hurt when it comes to recruiting. But this is a team worthy of a major bowl this year - - a New Year's Six bowl - - and it's shame that the IU screw job seems to be on.

You and I were in the same boat. I still think Oklahoma (assuming they are the ones that lose) would drop below IU if they lost. I also still have confidence (wrong or not) that UF getting smashed by Alabama would boot them out of the top 10. But after this week, I wouldn't be shocked if that somehow didn't happen.

The Coastal Carolina deal is a big one and a win over ULL will move them ahead of us. I think that feels like a lock there as well. With that said, ULL beat Iowa State so its altogether possible they beat Coastal Carolina. The same goes for Tulsa over Cincy this weekend. I think we root for Clemson to win, that way A&M represents the SEC in the NY6 and UF drops out.

Lastly, I think if IU is not in the Fiesta they are going to be in the Citrus bowl. The way things are going it might be Indiana vs Florida in that game which takes place on New Years Day. To me, I would be quite ok with that considering it falls on the same day and leads up to the CFP semi-final games. Lots of publicity there.

Lastly, I think if IU is not in the Fiesta they are going to be in the Citrus bowl. The way things are going it might be Indiana vs Florida in that game which takes place on New Years Day.
Do you think we're a shoe-in to play Florida? (Sorry. Bad joke. And, yeah, it's really "shoo-in").

Like Tampa, Orlando would be another good central FL location.

Do you think we're a shoe-in to play Florida? (Sorry. Bad joke. And, yeah, it's really "shoo-in").

Like Tampa, Orlando would be another good central FL location.

Corny but I'll let it slide. ha

Yeah, I think if UF loses they had BETTER fall out of the CFP convo and the next highest bowl off the NY6 would be the Citrus Bowl. I think its a good location because IN has a lot of direct flights out to FL airports and they allow an absurd # of fans in their stadiums at this time (at least for family of players). I saw an IU vs UF Citrus bowl prediction after our UM win and we've been on this weird collision course ever since then.

As has been mentioned, if USC wins the PAC-12 then they are in a NY6 bowl. Being that they are currently #13 that takes away one spot no matter what. CC would get in if they win. The # of spots are filling in and although I still think we are more likely to play in the Fiesta vs USC.....I would say 55/45 Fiesta/Citrus. Which I am good with either.

I would much rather face off against USC. They have not looked all that impressive in their games so far and to beat them in a bigger bowl like the Fiesta.......maybe even route them? That would be a little better publicity than the dog fight we likely would have in the Citrus vs UF.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
CFN has IU in the Outback with Iowa in the citrus. That can’t happen since we are both not playing. At least it shouldn’t. This prediction came out after the polls last night. That’s the only one I’ve seen that is not fiesta.

Reactions: vesuvius13
While I'm not digging all the Iowa State love, it would seem them beating OU would be best for IU. CFP committee "logic" obviously will have the winner ahead of IU. BUT, IF OU wins (very much a possibility) I can see this group keeping both teams ahead of IU, say OU at 6 or 7. Iowa St at 10.

Not saying that should be, but those goofballs have shown dubious thinking thus far and will continue to do so.

To summarize:

This supports my theory that the Iowa State staff has naked pictures of several members of the CFP committee.

Gary Barta in a leather gimp suit being whipped by a 6’5” transgendered dominatrix is the ace in the hole.

To summarize:

This supports my theory that the Iowa State staff has naked pictures of several members of the CFP committee.

Gary Barta in a leather gimp suit being whipped by a 6’5” transgendered dominatrix is the ace in the hole.

Seriously? Barta and Alvarez did everything they could to gift you a NY6 bowl with the Purdue game.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CC Mac
Seriously? Barta and Alvarez did everything they could to gift you a NY6 bowl with the Purdue game.

The only gift giving going on this holiday season was Barta’s desire to schedule Michigan at home so as to avoid a 3rd loss in conference.
Let’s be real: it’s about the body of work and Iowa shit their pants out of the gate. You guys played Purdue and looks like that wasn’t the gift you wanted.
Barry changes rules as he goes. He wants to be sure to preserve the rivalry game with a down Minnesota team as that might be a rare opportunity for a win this year.

Playing in FL would be good but the NY6 is definitely the place to be to raise the program.
Would it be? Wouldn’t playing vs SEC Florida in Florida in the Citrus Bowl on actual New Years Day leading into the CFP semis be much higher profile for Indiana than playing a day later on January 2 (still the weekend though) in Arizona vs a weak PAC12 team?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
Would it be? Wouldn’t playing vs SEC Florida in Florida in the Citrus Bowl on actual New Years Day leading into the CFP semis be much higher profile for Indiana than playing a day later on January 2 (still the weekend though) in Arizona vs a weak PAC12 team?
That's debatable. I get your point, and the Citrus certainly isn't a bad bowl, but it's got competition in that there are two other bowl games (including the Peach) on TV at the same time. The Fiesta has its own time slot (4p Eastern on Saturday Jan 2).

The College Football Playoff Committee uses a complex system of mathematical deception which extends out through their proxy media's use of adapt and overcome psychological manipulation to ensure the maximization of paradigm preservation. 😂

*This is satire...mostly 😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT