ADVERTISEMENT

CFP commitee recommending 12 team playoff

If this were in place last year we "probably" would have been in.
We didn't make a NY6 bowl so it's highly unlikely we would have made the cut for a 12-team playoff. And we would've been behind not only Ohio State but also Northwestern.

That said, this year's team is potentially better (and perhaps significantly better) than last year's given the returning talent, the transfers in and the likelihood of an improved OL. A conference championship is a realistic goal.

We didn't make a NY6 bowl so it's highly unlikely we would have made the cut for a 12-team playoff. And we would've been behind not only Ohio State but also Northwestern.

That said, this year's team is potentially better (and perhaps significantly better) than last year's given the returning talent, the transfers in and the likelihood of an improved OL. A conference championship is a realistic goal.
We were 11th in the final CFP rankings before bowl selections. Under this scenario we would have made the 12 team playoff.

When this gets put in it will be good to see teams in other than just the usual three teams we see now. In the short run it might not change which teams win the national title but in the longer run I think it will change the landscape as teams build their rosters based on playoff appearances.

Reactions: brianiu and 76-1
An expanded playoff is good for determining a national champion. But it would absolutely kill the underlying bowl system. If a goal is to keep the bowls, it's a non-starter.

I'm still in the camp of scaling back the bowls to make even the lower tier games more meaningful and preferably avoid 5-7 or 6-6 teams in bowls in the first place.

Good for Notre Dame.

Good for Group of 5.

It will be Good for the SEC and this list will likely look different the first seven seasons, after 2023, if it launches then?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
An expanded playoff is good for determining a national champion. But it would absolutely kill the underlying bowl system. If a goal is to keep the bowls, it's a non-starter.

I'm still in the camp of scaling back the bowls to make even the lower tier games more meaningful and preferably avoid 5-7 or 6-6 teams in bowls in the first place.

I'm sticking with my eight team playoff scheme grounded with the four traditional NYD bowls of my youth and with P5 conference tie-ins:

Rose: PAC12 & B1G
Cotton: Big12
Sugar: SEC
Orange: ACC

I'm sticking with my eight team playoff scheme grounded with the four traditional NYD bowls of my youth and with P5 conference tie-ins:

Rose: PAC12 & B1G
Cotton: Big12
Sugar: SEC
Orange: ACC
That is four more than enough to determine the best champion and doesn't destroy the rest of the bowl system.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Yes. I get the traditionalists that are in love with bowl games but....why? I couldn't care less about eliminating them. I'd prefer an ACTUAL post season over this annual Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State round robin.

That is four more than enough to determine the best champion and doesn't destroy the rest of the bowl system.

Yes. I get the traditionalists that are in love with bowl games but....why? I couldn't care less about eliminating them. I'd prefer an ACTUAL post season over this annual Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State round robin.

12 is too many -- adds another week -- and there will be arguments about the byes, so...

My 8 team scheme grounded in the traditional NYD bowls maintains tradition without compromising the existing bowls. Give the semis to a couple of the other "name bowls" (Peach? Fiesta? Gator? Outback?) and then have the final as simply a Championship Game unaffiliated with the bowls at a premier stadium. Lucas and other NFL venues could be in that rotation.

Edit to add:

Take a look at how the CFP bowls are set up for this coming year. They're halfway to my scheme as it is (without the tie ins).

Last edited:
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
12 is too many -- adds another week -- and there will be arguments about the byes, so...

My 8 team scheme grounded in the traditional NYD bowls maintains tradition without compromising the existing bowls. Give the semis to a couple of the other "name bowls" (Peach? Fiesta? Gator? Outback?) and then have the final as simply a Championship Game unaffiliated with the bowls at a premier stadium. Lucas and other NFL venues could be in that rotation.

Edit to add:

Take a look at how the CFP bowls are set up for this coming year. They're halfway to my scheme as it is (without the tie ins).

You have nailed this.

Reactions: UncleMark
8 teams won't fly with the P5 or the rest of the FBS. 12 still let's P5 get multiple teams in while allowing at large bids from other conferences. 8 teams only works for the rest of the FBS if P5 are limited to a single team from each conf.

It's essentially a big TV contract and every conference wants to max out their share of the pie.

8 teams won't fly with the P5 or the rest of the FBS. 12 still let's P5 get multiple teams in while allowing at large bids from other conferences. 8 teams only works for the rest of the FBS if P5 are limited to a single team from each conf.
I understand your point, hooky, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and I would prefer not to turn it into a long drawn out affair. Make NYD mean something in the playoff scheme, while at the same time giving a shot for the 8 best teams. Yes, (with the tie-ins I propose), there very well may be a time when one conference doesn't have a top 8 team or there's a fluke in the conference playoff or whatever. That's what makes it interesting. Makes the regular season and those conference championship games mean a little more as well. In my scheme, if NW had upset OSU this year, they would have been in, and OSU would surely have gotten one of the other spots. That would have been fun.
It's essentially a big TV contract and every conference wants to max out their share of the pie.
On that we can agree. Nothing will be done that doesn't maximize the TV revenue. In my scheme, to maximize TV revenue and eyeballs maybe play the Orange on NYE night, then have Sugar, Cotton, and Rose in succession on NYD.

I'd be good with having Peach and Fiesta named the semifinal bowls permanently, making all the NY6 bowls part of the scheme.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I'd prefer 16 teams... After the first round you end up with 8, then after the next you end up with 4 , after that one you reach the Final...

You could always give the top ranked 8 ((ascertained by an aggregate gleaned from the polls combined with the computer rankings)) a bye in the first round so #'s 9-16 would have the longest, toughest road (which only bolsters their claim as the best if they are able to win it all)...

I don't see the existing Bowl games losing much if they are able to still come up with interesting matchups between the left out teams...

I understand your point, hooky, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and I would prefer not to turn it into a long drawn out affair. Make NYD mean something in the playoff scheme, while at the same time giving a shot for the 8 best teams. Yes, (with the tie-ins I propose), there very well may be a time when one conference doesn't have a top 8 team or there's a fluke in the conference playoff or whatever. That's what makes it interesting. Makes the regular season and those conference championship games mean a little more as well. In my scheme, if NW had upset OSU this year, they would have been in, and OSU would surely have gotten one of the other spots. That would have been fun.

On that we can agree. Nothing will be done that doesn't maximize the TV revenue. In my scheme, to maximize TV revenue and eyeballs maybe play the Orange on NYE night, then have Sugar, Cotton, and Rose in succession on NYD.

I'd be good with having Peach and Fiesta named the semifinal bowls permanently, making all the NY6 bowls part of the scheme.
All I'm saying is that 12 is a compromise in order for all the FBS schools to get on board, meaning everyone gets maximum beak wettage.

There's always that risk that the P5 takes their CFP ball and goes home, then everyone else is screwed.

Reactions: 76-1
Group of 5, Notre Dame and SEC may disagree with you.
Of course. But it's a big improvement to the current scheme, restores the traditional NYD bowls to prominence, and doubles the number of teams having a shot at winning it all.

Of course. But it's a big improvement to the current scheme, restores the traditional NYD bowls to prominence, and doubles the number of teams having a shot at winning it all.

It isn't the direction. They want 12, not 8.

6 top ranked conference champs.

4 at-large to now 6 at-large [Satisfies SEC]

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I’m not for it. As it stands, it is arguably tougher to win a championship in college football than it is in any other sport. Every week matters. That’s special. With a 12 team playoff, you’ll see the phenomenon that you sometimes see in the NCAA tournament when a team that underachieves during the season gets hot at the right time and runs the table. Some of the luster will be lost, IMO...

12 seems a bizarre number as it requires the same number of weeks as 16 would, (so if you're doing 12, you may as well do 16), and has way too big a subjective element in that not all of the major conference winners would play the same number of games to win the championship.

the current 4 teams is idiotic and unfair, as it doesn't even allow for all major conf champs to get in, and i have absolutely no idea how anyone can support that if the goal is to arrive at a true champion.

major college football isn't like college basketball or the NFL where major conf teams play many games against teams in other major conferences, so there is no real objective way to compare conferences other than pre season and recruiting rankings, which are also less than fully objective.

the current four is a total disaster and doesn't produce a true champ any more than the pre playoff system did, but at least before they were honest enough to label it as a "mythical champion" while now they don't, even though it still is a mythical champ since not all major conferences are included.. just no longer labeled as such.

either go to 8 or 16, and if the number of weeks to do 12 teams has been deemed acceptable by the powers that be, then no logical reason to not go to 16 which requires exactly the same number of weeks as 12, other than doing 12 gives "the powers that be more power", and nothing "the powers that be" love more than power.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radio Zero and 76-1
Traditionalists love the bowls because it's tradition. Circular reasoning, I know.

I just don't get wrapped up in the "we have to crown a true national champion with a playoff" thing. I know sports fans are used to tournaments, I just don't necessarily understand the virtue of it. It's not like the "best" team always wins the title.

I'd be fully content for the B1G to have bowl tie-ins for 5 teams and IU's goal is to win the conference & go to the Rose Bowl. I just don't think a real playoff that captures the magic or ratio of teams from a March Madness is realistic. It'd probably take like a 32 team tournament. And even though we all know that the "best" team is going to come from the top 10 seeds, teams in that 1-10 range lose every year to absolute nobodies. And we'll also end up seeing bad teams getting in as P5 champs, similar to the NFL structure where you could be a division champ with an overall losing record and start the playoffs hosting a 12-4 wildcard team from a better division.

Traditionalists love the bowls because it's tradition. Circular reasoning, I know.

I just don't get wrapped up in the "we have to crown a true national champion with a playoff" thing. I know sports fans are used to tournaments, I just don't necessarily understand the virtue of it. It's not like the "best" team always wins the title.

I'd be fully content for the B1G to have bowl tie-ins for 5 teams and IU's goal is to win the conference & go to the Rose Bowl. I just don't think a real playoff that captures the magic or ratio of teams from a March Madness is realistic. It'd probably take like a 32 team tournament. And even though we all know that the "best" team is going to come from the top 10 seeds, teams in that 1-10 range lose every year to absolute nobodies. And we'll also end up seeing bad teams getting in as P5 champs, similar to the NFL structure where you could be a division champ with an overall losing record and start the playoffs hosting a 12-4 wildcard team from a better division.

Right, but tradition itself should never be a reason to stand still. Tradition tomorrow is whatever the heck it is you do today so going to a 12 team CFP would soon become tradition. The idea that people refuse to evolve on the basis that they're nostalgic about the past has no real justification.

Every sport has a playoff and the bowls to me are an overrated experience as is. Your logic about getting bad P5 teams into the playoffs doesn't hold water. They're not guaranteeing every P5 conference champion gets in, just the TOP conference champions. The problem today is there are so many people (like undefeated Cincy last year) who simply don't get close to a real shot with one and even two loss teams. So although we begin the season with a chance at the playoffs, there are way too many teams who have absolutely no chance to get in. That's a broken system that needs changed.

I think this is the rare situation where you could literally "have it all"...

You only need 15 Bowls to make a 16 team playoff work... According to ESPN there are currently (2021 season) 44 Bowls out there - https://www.espn.com/college-footba...e-football-bowl-game-schedule-2021-22-dates-s - which leaves another 29 available for those not selected...

I think Indianapolis ought to start a Bowl game here and get involved in the first 8 mix so if that happened there'd be 30 Bowls still available for those who didn't make the cut...

Lowest ranked 8 play the top 8 by seeding (8 Bowls), the 8 winners play each other as seeded best vs worst (another 4 Bowls) the 4 winners play the following week (another 2 Bowls) and the 2 survivors get two weeks off to heal and rest and then meet in the Championship Bowl...

1 week between the first group of Bowls, 1 week between the 2nd group of Bowls, 1 week off before the 3rd group of Bowls) and two weeks off before the Championship... Start date at least 7 days after the last conference championship game...

The 800 pound Kodiak Bear Bowls who already decide where the Real money games will be played could be relied upon on to set up the game rotations (to their advantage, of course, but someone has to do it so it might as well be them (since it will keep them onboard with the concept)...

Works for me (which most likely means we'll Never see it happen...😉😎)...

Last edited:
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Right, but tradition itself should never be a reason to stand still. Tradition tomorrow is whatever the heck it is you do today so going to a 12 team CFP would soon become tradition. The idea that people refuse to evolve on the basis that they're nostalgic about the past has no real justification.

Every sport has a playoff and the bowls to me are an overrated experience as is. Your logic about getting bad P5 teams into the playoffs doesn't hold water. They're not guaranteeing every P5 conference champion gets in, just the TOP conference champions. The problem today is there are so many people (like undefeated Cincy last year) who simply don't get close to a real shot with one and even two loss teams. So although we begin the season with a chance at the playoffs, there are way too many teams who have absolutely no chance to get in. That's a broken system that needs changed.
I would counter by saying "everyone else is doing it" is an equally poor reason to do something. Or at least my mom would say that.

The problem with undefeated G5 teams like Cincy last year or UCF before is that with the limited OOC scheduling opportunities, it's hard to make comparisons.

Like take 2018 UCF. Their non-con was UCONN, SC State, FAU, & Pitt. Sure they went undefeated in the AAC, but then they got beat by LSU in their bowl game. The undefeated 2017 year had non-cons of FIU, Maryland, & Austin Peay before beating #7 Auburn in the bowl game. Up until that bowl game their only two ranked wins were against #22 USF & #16 Memphis. Hardly a murderer's row like an undefeated or even 1 loss SEC or B1G season.

Finally, I think playoffs are overrated just like you think bowls are overrated. I get the allure of having a steady series of top matchups, I don't think it's the be-all, end-all of sports.

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Speaking of 800 pound Kodiak Bears...

Why not put our former AD on the case of getting Kodiak Cakes brand to sponsor the 2023 (as part of the first 16 team playoff)🇺🇸 ** Kodiak Cakes ~ Cross Roads of America Bowl**🇺🇸 to be held in Indianapolis (Played one week after the final conference championship game, plus or minus a day to meet NFL preexisting requirements; which would be the case for all first 8 playoff games)...

I would counter by saying "everyone else is doing it" is an equally poor reason to do something. Or at least my mom would say that.

The problem with undefeated G5 teams like Cincy last year or UCF before is that with the limited OOC scheduling opportunities, it's hard to make comparisons.

Like take 2018 UCF. Their non-con was UCONN, SC State, FAU, & Pitt. Sure they went undefeated in the AAC, but then they got beat by LSU in their bowl game. The undefeated 2017 year had non-cons of FIU, Maryland, & Austin Peay before beating #7 Auburn in the bowl game. Up until that bowl game their only two ranked wins were against #22 USF & #16 Memphis. Hardly a murderer's row like an undefeated or even 1 loss SEC or B1G season.

Finally, I think playoffs are overrated just like you think bowls are overrated. I get the allure of having a steady series of top matchups, I don't think it's the be-all, end-all of sports.
Commie 😉😎😂 (joking [sort of]😉)

🍺🇺🇸🍺

And here's the Soundtrack version:

Hopefully this will snap you back into being the true American that we all know you are deep down... 😉🏈🇺🇸

That "playoffs are overrated" stuff is nauseating...! 😎😉

Last edited:

ha The "everyone else is doing it" mantra is not really something you would apply to this. The system we have is the perfect example of a corrupt system. There are no clear definitions of what one has to do and if they do that, there are no guarantees you will get in. Even if you go undefeated. Teams like Cincy and UCF have control over only a couple games on their schedule each year and they have to book them 4-10 years in advance. The entire structure is built so they have almost 0% chance of ever truly getting in let alone winning it. So yes, the schedule is the issue and primarily because top conference teams often don't want to play the best of the low division opponent. The best chance is to be bad, get a deal with a top school 5 years down the road, get good and then hope you can pull off the upset on the road. Even then, its just one opponent and who knows how good that opponent is.

If seeing a steady series of top matchups isn't the point.....then what is?

There are two truths we haven't been talking about with this issue. 1. They will never ask our input and listen to it. 2. There is no one answer that will solve all issues but doing nothing while looking for the perfect is a loss.

It is good to discuss this issue but don't get too caught up in the minutia of each plan as all have problems. What should the goal be for the playoffs and how should they get there to achieve that goal. I think that is what the committee came up with and someone will always come up with reasons it isn't the perfect solution.

I think the 12 team playoff will improve college football as more teams can sell recruits on playing for a playoff team. It will take several years before we see a big change once it is implemented. I think it will help disperse the best players to other schools and not concentrate them so much into the "top" schools.

Reactions: jsenleo and 76-1
Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, they pretty much killed the traditional bowl system when they started the current playoff system.

I’m not for it. As it stands, it is arguably tougher to win a championship in college football than it is in any other sport. Every week matters. That’s special. With a 12 team playoff, you’ll see the phenomenon that you sometimes see in the NCAA tournament when a team that underachieves during the season gets hot at the right time and runs the table. Some of the luster will be lost, IMO...
It is better than watching the same teams in the Championship every year. With the 12 team playoff you have a better chance one of Alabama or Clemson having an off game and getting upset.

Commie 😉😎😂 (joking [sort of]😉)

🍺🇺🇸🍺

And here's the Soundtrack version:

Hopefully this will snap you back into being the true American that we all know you are deep down... 😉🏈🇺🇸

That "playoffs are overrated" stuff is nauseating...! 😎😉
?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT