ADVERTISEMENT

CDC: 78% of people hospitalized for COVID were overweight or obese

Wow, 78% of the cases, when you'd expect 74%....

Obesity is not as big a risk factor as I thought. It's not like the risk of living in the USA, 4% of the population and 19% of the deaths.

4% is a lot different than 19%, yet we are supposed to get worked up over 78% when we'd expect 74%? Even Co.H. ought to be able to comprehend math that much...
Our problem has been our high infection rate. As far as I know there is no correlation with fat people having higher infection rates, unless they're less able to dodge a sneeze. Our death rate once a person is infected compares favorably to other countries, at least the last time I checked.

Smaller portions, cut all added sugar, more veggies, and get out and move every day. It wasn’t rocket science for me.
And when I say fat shaming, I think I’m saying more of what was explained above. Someone should’ve called me out. But we’re too afraid to do that anymore.

I actually want someone to call me out. It would help motivate me

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
As far as I know there is no correlation with fat people having higher infection rates, unless they're less able to dodge a sneeze

99ea46729b206849e9c5cd78a6ee9e5d.gif

Reactions: bawlmer
I saw this Bill Maher 'New Rule' clip posted on Facebook where he talks about COVID hospitalizations and obesity, among other things.

I knew being obese increased risks involved with COVID, but I didn't realize it was that high. 78% of people hospitalized for COVID being overweight seems like a much bigger deal than actually being reported.

My question is why isn't this hammered home more? Why aren't national health experts giving press conferences where they're telling us to get vaccinated, social distance, wear a mask and lose some weight? I suspect Maher nailed it when he said talking about obesity is a third rail.

I guess the bigger question is how do we toe the line between fat shaming and having a serious debate about America's obesity epidemic? It's exacerbated COVID's effects, but it's a problem that will be with us long after we return to a post-COVID 'normal' world.

In theory there should be a gulf of options between fat shaming and a serious debate about what to do to help create a healthier populace, but the ever-growing trend of body positivity 'influencers' are essentially turning it into an either/or debate, especially when someone with a decent social media following is calling personal trainers Nazis and comparing dieting to sexaul assault.
What you really meant is that 78% of people that get COVID are just too short. 😁 😁 😁

Reactions: UncleMark and 76-1
Fay shaming should be a thing. I finally got my mind right and I’ve dropped 30 in about 90 days. I’m about 15 from being my high school graduation weight. I can’t even begin to explain how much better I feel, my sleep is routinely 8 hours a night uninterrupted, I don’t hurt at all. Zero added artificial sugar of any kind. It does amazing things for your body. So yea...we should fat shame. It’s a deadly lifestyle choice. And a choice 100%.
If needed, each person should fat shame themself. Noone should fat shame others.

fat kids is parental neglect. There are exceptions, but the amount of overweight kids is disgusting. It’s because of their fat parents don’t provide any example
When I used to drive to work at a previous job I drove through or near a couple housing editions. Would see the kids waiting for the bus. Called the fat ones “chunkers”. Not the big boned kids mind you but the 11 year olds with Dunlaps and flesh skirts hanging out. Some kids are big but not “fat”.

Wife made the same point to me when she heard me call them chunkers. Not their fault. It’s the parents. If I can’t hold Adam Toledo responsible for his own death I can’t hold fat kids responsible for their body.

Parents don’t need to shame their kids or be mean to them. But they need to be honest with them. It’s even worse when the kids find out they were being lied to

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I saw this Bill Maher 'New Rule' clip posted on Facebook where he talks about COVID hospitalizations and obesity, among other things.

I knew being obese increased risks involved with COVID, but I didn't realize it was that high. 78% of people hospitalized for COVID being overweight seems like a much bigger deal than actually being reported.

My question is why isn't this hammered home more? Why aren't national health experts giving press conferences where they're telling us to get vaccinated, social distance, wear a mask and lose some weight? I suspect Maher nailed it when he said talking about obesity is a third rail.

I guess the bigger question is how do we toe the line between fat shaming and having a serious debate about America's obesity epidemic? It's exacerbated COVID's effects, but it's a problem that will be with us long after we return to a post-COVID 'normal' world.

In theory there should be a gulf of options between fat shaming and a serious debate about what to do to help create a healthier populace, but the ever-growing trend of body positivity 'influencers' are essentially turning it into an either/or debate, especially when someone with a decent social media following is calling personal trainers Nazis and comparing dieting to sexaul assault.
I think we are scared to fat shame, but I don't think it needs to be that difficult. I think most people, if they set aside the fear, can tell the difference between fat shaming and promotion of healthy habits.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
If people won't wear masks they sure ain't gonna start jogging or stop drinking beer. Start with low-hanging fruit.
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Let's not lump that beautiful ale (or lager, or sour, etc) into this conversation. I drink about a case a week and maintain my 180 weight at 6 ft.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Let's not lump that beautiful ale (or lager, or sour, etc) into this conversation. I drink about a case a week and maintain my 180 weight at 6 ft.

Lightweight

Actually not.... looking at the cdc calc, if you slip up to 184 you are officially overweight

I see tons of kids on bikes including my own daughter. Nice neighborhoods though with bike paths/trails, etc. I do believe adding bike paths/trails makes it easier for kids to bike a couple miles to their friends' houses, etc.

Obviously I don’t have any data to support my beliefs, but from about 5th grade through freshman year of high school the bike was the chief mode of transportation for my friends and I. If the destination was within a 5 mile radius I wouldn’t dream of asking my parents for a ride.

I’m not as sure that is the case anymore.

If Overweight means by BMI then it’s a flawed analysis as everything is with BMI. Anybody who lifts heavy weights a couple times a week is going to be overweight due to muscle’s higher density than fat. I’m 6’1 and 200lbs. Could I lose a few? Of course, but I can bench press well over my body weight, do 10 pull-ups, and run five miles in the low 40s. BMI says I’m overweight.

If Overweight means by BMI then it’s a flawed analysis as everything is with BMI. Anybody who lifts heavy weights a couple times a week is going to be overweight due to muscle’s higher density than fat. I’m 6’1 and 200lbs. Could I lose a few? Of course, but I can bench press well over my body weight, do 10 pull-ups, and run five miles in the low 40s. BMI says I’m overweight.
I challenge you to a feats of strength.

• Haha
Reactions: outside shooter
I’m too old now. Shit gets hurt too quickly.
Getting old sucks. I used to produce lean muscle. Now I just get bulkier and bulkier. No matter how much I drop the weight and increase reps it’s the same result. Aging is awful

Reactions: 76-1
I used to be able to bench over my body weight.

When i weighed 185.

Now, um......I might be able to get my body weight up once. Maybe. In fact, let's just assume that's true without any actual evidence. Okay. Thanks. Bye.

My ideal BMI weight would be what I weighed in JR high. I’d have to shop in the young boys department.

My ideal BMI weight would be what I weighed in JR high. I’d have to shop in the young boys department.
I'm 6'3". I'd have to weigh under 200lbs to be "normal weight". Only 25lbs to go....

Reactions: 76-1

Check the BMI index and you find out almost everyone is obese. Their requirements are ridiculous. Bill Maher has never been able to come up with an original thought anyway so why give any validity to his liberal rants?

ADVERTISEMENT