ADVERTISEMENT

CDC: 78% of people hospitalized for COVID were overweight or obese

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
I saw this Bill Maher 'New Rule' clip posted on Facebook where he talks about COVID hospitalizations and obesity, among other things.

I knew being obese increased risks involved with COVID, but I didn't realize it was that high. 78% of people hospitalized for COVID being overweight seems like a much bigger deal than actually being reported.

My question is why isn't this hammered home more? Why aren't national health experts giving press conferences where they're telling us to get vaccinated, social distance, wear a mask and lose some weight? I suspect Maher nailed it when he said talking about obesity is a third rail.

I guess the bigger question is how do we toe the line between fat shaming and having a serious debate about America's obesity epidemic? It's exacerbated COVID's effects, but it's a problem that will be with us long after we return to a post-COVID 'normal' world.

In theory there should be a gulf of options between fat shaming and a serious debate about what to do to help create a healthier populace, but the ever-growing trend of body positivity 'influencers' are essentially turning it into an either/or debate, especially when someone with a decent social media following is calling personal trainers Nazis and comparing dieting to sexaul assault.

I saw this Bill Maher 'New Rule' clip posted on Facebook where he talks about COVID hospitalizations and obesity, among other things.

I knew being obese increased risks involved with COVID, but I didn't realize it was that high. 78% of people hospitalized for COVID being overweight seems like a much bigger deal than actually being reported.

My question is why isn't this hammered home more? Why aren't national health experts giving press conferences where they're telling us to get vaccinated, social distance, wear a mask and lose some weight? I suspect Maher nailed it when he said talking about obesity is a third rail.

I guess the bigger question is how do we toe the line between fat shaming and having a serious debate about America's obesity epidemic? It's exacerbated COVID's effects, but it's a problem that will be with us long after we return to a post-COVID 'normal' world.

In theory there should be a gulf of options between fat shaming and a serious debate about what to do to help create a healthier populace, but the ever-growing trend of body positivity 'influencers' are essentially turning it into an either/or debate, especially when someone with a decent social media following is calling personal trainers Nazis and comparing dieting to sexaul assault.
Exactly!!! Hoodatguy was crying about this from day one. And why comparing our country to others (along with myriad other variables) is silly. fauci should be crying for us to lose weight and get in shape and take zinc and vit d. no. masks.... we're a country of fat, sloth-like people who eat blizzards and butter burgers. walk in to any walmart. the difference between an american and most euros/asians is night and day

Last edited:

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Exactly!!! Hoodatguy was crying about this from day one. And why comparing our country to others (along with myriad other variables) is silly. fauci should be crying for us to lose weight and get in shape and take zinc and vit d. no. masks.... we're a country of fat, sloth like people who eat blizzards and butter burgers. walk in to any walmart. the difference between an american and most euros/asians is night and day

It's as if these people were in a coma for decades.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
It's as if these people were in a coma for decades.
Well, for what it's worth I've been talking about this for well over a decade and for half of that time, working to improve the overall health of people was part of my job/the mission where I worked.

Even though the far-right brigade of the board jumped on this post first, I don't see this as a left-right issue.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
I use to bring this up regarding health outcomes in the US vs other civilized countries, when a certain, know-it-all lawyer, who is no longer here, BTW, use to tell me how that had no effect on outcomes, and show my work blah, blah, blah. When I would list studies showing this, he/she would just ignore, and tell me I was fat-shaming people (not sure if that was the exact phrase, but something to that effect).
Obesity is a MAJOR problem in this country, and a tremendous burden on the overall healthcare system. Until we are able to tackle some of the major issues in this country honestly, and without fear of being labeled something, then...well...we will just continue to suck!!

Exactly!!! Hoodatguy was crying about this from day one. And why comparing our country to others (along with myriad other variables) is silly. fauci should be crying for us to lose weight and get in shape and take zinc and vit d. no. masks.... we're a country of fat, sloth like people who eat blizzards and butter burgers. walk in to any walmart. the difference between an american and most euros/asians is night and day
I do believe that masks and social distancing played a part in keeping things from being worse than they were. Obviously they were never 100% effective at stopping the spread, but I do believe they were an important part of the equation.

Reactions: NPT and mcmurtry66
my neighborhood is full of Asians. they're always outside walking. many of them are walking and doing what looks like synchronized swimming from the waist up. none of them are fat. they all look like they could kick ass at any moment.
Exercise is important, but you can't outwork you're fork.

My guess is that the people you see walking aren't eating the standard American diet.

I use to bring this up regarding health outcomes in the US vs other civilized countries, when a certain, know-it-all lawyer, who is no longer here, BTW, use to tell me how that had no effect on outcomes, and show my work blah, blah, blah. When I would list studies showing this, he/she would just ignore, and tell me I was fat-shaming people (not sure if that was the exact phrase, but something to that effect).
Obesity is a MAJOR problem in this country, and a tremendous burden on the overall healthcare system. Until we are able to tackle some of the major issues in this country honestly, and without fear of being labeled something, then...well...we will just continue to suck!!
I do feel there is a way to tackle this without fat-shaming. Not to say that's what you're doing.

I've mentioned this before, but if our food subsidies lined up with the FDA Dietary Guidelines, that would make a HUGE difference.

This chart showing why a salad costs more than a cheese burger is 16 years old, but the subsidies vs recommendations ratios are largely the same.

Last edited:
I do believe that masks and social distancing played a part in keeping things from being worse than they were. Obviously they were never 100% effective at stopping the spread, but I do believe they were an important part of the equation.
If people won't wear masks they sure ain't gonna start jogging or stop drinking beer. Start with low-hanging fruit.

Exercise is important, but you can't outwork you're fork.

My guess is that the people you see walking aren't eating the standard American diet.
I almost died laughing one day when I saw that a single serving of Chik Fila sauce is 140 calories. The little packet they give you. 140 freaking calories. Holy Sh!t

Well, for what it's worth I've been talking about this for well over a decade and for half of that time, working to improve the overall health of people was part of my job/the mission where I worked.

Even though the far-right brigade of the board jumped on this post first, I don't see this as a left-right issue.
Well, now we need to start a thread to know the breakdown of obese people by political party. Who has more fatties?
That should be a productive thread.

Reactions: UncleMark
I was going to post something about that too. I go back and forth on whether or not I'd actually like to try that.
I don’t know how people do it. After games if I drink it makes my head feel like it’s going to explode

Wow, 78% of the cases, when you'd expect 74%....

Obesity is not as big a risk factor as I thought. It's not like the risk of living in the USA, 4% of the population and 19% of the deaths.

4% is a lot different than 19%, yet we are supposed to get worked up over 78% when we'd expect 74%? Even Co.H. ought to be able to comprehend math that much...

Reactions: UncleMark
Fay shaming should be a thing. I finally got my mind right and I’ve dropped 30 in about 90 days. I’m about 15 from being my high school graduation weight. I can’t even begin to explain how much better I feel, my sleep is routinely 8 hours a night uninterrupted, I don’t hurt at all. Zero added artificial sugar of any kind. It does amazing things for your body. So yea...we should fat shame. It’s a deadly lifestyle choice. And a choice 100%.

• Love
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Fay shaming should be a thing. I finally got my mind right and I’ve dropped 30 in about 90 days. I’m about 15 from being my high school graduation weight. I can’t even begin to explain how much better I feel, my sleep is routinely 8 hours a night uninterrupted, I don’t hurt at all. Zero added artificial sugar of any kind. It does amazing things for your body. So yea...we should fat shame. It’s a deadly lifestyle choice. And a choice 100%.
congratulations that's a great achievement. i have a buddy who lost 100 pounds in a 100 days. juicing. not sure how healthy that is but he ate nothing but squeezed juice. celery juice in the morning. veggie juice throughout the day. etc. fruit juice at night

I was going to post something about that too. I go back and forth on whether or not I'd actually like to try that.
4:33 while slowing down is insane enough. While slowing down to drink a beer 4 TIMES is insane.

And yet, the issue with American health was not appropriately factored into any policy decisions, including lockdowns, restrictions, etc.

Our health system is less of the problem as it relates to obesity than other factors. Our carb consumption is horrendous and access to high-quality produce far behind many European countries. I'm hopeful that vertical farming and other production improvements will rapidly improve access and cost of high quality produce.

Of course it is a non-partisan issue. I find it amusing that you think McM and I are far-right, particularly since I'm a pro choice supporting, gun control sympathizing poster. Perhaps that shows just how far left you have become?

Congrats, but it's all in how you define 'fat shaming' .

I think there is a big difference between delivering hard truths vs fat shaming.

When my daughter/second kid was born, I was overweight. I wasn't morbidly obese or anything, but I was definitely at my heaviest. No one told me I was overweight; not even my doctor. That said, there is a picture of me holding my son and newborn daughter that haunted me for days after I saw it. Everyone is different, but that's really all it took for me. I changed my diet, committed to running and working out and I went from weighing 225 to weighing 185-190ish pretty consistently for the last 14 or so years. I'm 6'2" and feel that's a good weight for me and am happy I've maintained it.

That said, I'm not sure how I would have reacted if someone would have called me fattie or lard ass.

In fact, it can be easily argued that American overweight is the number one factor in healthcare costs.

Congrats! What type of diet changes did you make besides cutting out artificial sugars?

Wow, 78% of the cases, when you'd expect 74%....

Obesity is not as big a risk factor as I thought. It's not like the risk of living in the USA, 4% of the population and 19% of the deaths.

4% is a lot different than 19%, yet we are supposed to get worked up over 78% when we'd expect 74%? Even Co.H. ought to be able to comprehend math that much...

Now adjust for other co-morbidities, such as age, pre-existing conditions.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Congrats! What type of diet changes did you make besides cutting out artificial sugars?
Smaller portions, cut all added sugar, more veggies, and get out and move every day. It wasn’t rocket science for me.
And when I say fat shaming, I think I’m saying more of what was explained above. Someone should’ve called me out. But we’re too afraid to do that anymore.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT