ADVERTISEMENT

CCC Press conference

Great. With the Colts being a big question mark I guess I will have to wait until basketball season to root for a good team.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I thought he just sounded tired and ready to get the season started.
I think he is trying to downplay expectations not necessarily lowering expectations.
I think we will have a better idea of what we have after Saturday.

Curious what in there was lowering expectations? If realistic expectations were the opening bar, nothing here lowered that bar
IMO it was him really talking up FIU. I know typical coach talk but to me it was a warning that FIU is better than you think and we don’t look as good as he expected. Or we can chalk it up to 40 yrs of watching IU FB. Lmao

Last edited:
IMO it was him really talking up FIU. I know typical coach talk but to me it was a warning that FIU is better than you think and we don’t look as good as he expected. Or we can chalk it up to 40 yrs of watching IU FB. Lmao
I tried to tell people the other day FIU might be better than “fans” are giving them credit for, who knows , no one has played yet ! With the portal teams can add players that make a difference, that said, we should be able to beat them , but it may not be as easy as some think. 1-0, that’s what we need

I didn’t get any sense that he is lowering expectations at all. He was matter a fact pretty much like every time. He said he feels good about his team. Did you guys catch that he said that this is “Chapter 1 in a 13 Chapter book?”

That tells me he expects a bowl. Hint: a regular season is 12 games.

Now basketball that you alluded to? Yes - I’m expecting underachievement.

I didn’t get any sense that he is lowering expectations at all. He was matter a fact pretty much like every time. He said he feels good about his team. Did you guys catch that he said that this is “Chapter 1 in a 13 Chapter book?”

That tells me he expects a bowl. Hint: a regular season is 12 games.

Now basketball that you alluded to? Yes - I’m expecting underachievement.
I certainly caught that. He plans on 13 games (or more).
GoHoosiers

Reactions: vesuvius13
I remember Lou Holtz at Notre Dame, had a loaded team, were crushing it during that season, played about a 1- 7 Rice team. Line was probably ND -35, Next team after that was some big name team.
Lou stood behind the mic and said they weren't looking ahead, with a sincere look said "I'm scared to death of Rice."

LOL Compare that Holtz BS, with CCC just talking football..

If you want to get pumped, watch or rewatch the week or two ago pressers by Haines and Shanahan. They either like their guys, or sure can make me believe they do. Haines said to win the opener the d-line guys 'gotta eat'. Also good things about competition at linebacker, likes his ends. Shanahan thinks he has horses too it sounds like.

Love it! Pumped!

Last edited:

If you want to get pumped, watch or rewatch the week or two ago pressers by Haines and Shanahan. They either like their guys, or sure can make me believe they do. Haines said to win the opener the d-line guys 'gotta eat'. Also good things about competition at linebacker, likes his ends. Shanahan thinks he has horses too it sounds like.

Love it! Pumped!
Yes I liked the authenticity in that press conference too. In today’s event CCC was quoted …

[Rourke] probably reminds me of Cole Johnson who we had for two seasons. His last year with us, he had a tremendous year, about 41 touchdown passes, four interceptions, threw for over 4,000 yards.

Both more pocket guys but still can gain positive yards with their legs. And really smart, heady. Played a lot of football. Respected by his teammates. He's not a real "rah rah" guy on the field, which is fine. You kind of lead by example and how you do on the field. But he's got the respect of all his teammates.

4000 yds is 333 per game. 41 TDs is 3 per game. With good defense and ball security, 250 and 2, should win enough games.

I recall Lou Holtz’s concern that the Irish might lose to the Little Sisters of the Poor every single week.
There was, at one time, a video (may be on YouTube) of Holz talking about next week's opponent (it was a "greatest hits" type mashup) and the entire video made you think that the Irish were playing the NFL Super Bowl champs the following week.

It was pretty funny.

A 20 point dog, playing a Big Ten team on the road, this is their shot to make a big statement and play with reckless abandon and nothing to lose. Cig has clearly maintained his disdain for complacency (self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies). Cig said he feels good about his team, but I think he was expressing some caution to dissuade his team from getting caught up in betting lines, rankings, and hype. Focus on executing Cig's IU Football game plan . . . GO HOOSIERS !!!

I think he just sounded exhausted (along with coach speak and making sure his team doesn't get complacent and overlook this game).
I thought he sounded tired of asking mundane questions. 9 months of that gets old for anyone.

It's nice that he doesn't blow smoke up our butts. It's time to play ball and he seems ready to have something different to talk about.

Things are transitioning, maybe even slowing down a bit in coaching tasks and finite details are now highlighted for a specific opponent. Playbook O & D are installed for the 1st game. Targeted coaching is the focus with things being refined, as he mentioned 2nd and ST's 1 day, 3rd and red zone another. Seems that narrowing the coaching goals is paramount game week. I believe game week coaching and prep are the areas Allen and most of his Coordinators weren't proficient figuring out. v you would be the expert about what's taking place.

Last edited:
This is the time of year as a coach you look forward to. Everything else is put aside as the team and coaches focus on the opponent and you get serious about how to defeat them. You watch film with a close eye on finding advantages to use for the game. Let's hope IU has found those things and come out with a convincing win.

Had a Head Coach once tell me if you have to work 16 hour days , your not a very smart football coach. There's only 11 guys on a side and the game really hasn't changed since the 20's (everybody is now running the single wing again). I'll find someone who can get their work done in 10 hours! LOL

tenor.gif

I don't want them to gain another yard! You blitz...all night! If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Hoosiers! Leave no doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT