ADVERTISEMENT

Cav, don't watch the highlight video of Romeo on the newstand...

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
it'll ruin your day! He looks great and it's nice to see the sort of aggressiveness that I felt he did lack when he was here. I'm sure the injury played a part, but also, maybe he's just absorbing the message and Stevens is getting through to him. Regardless, good to see.

His outside shooting has improved tremendously :rolleyes:

Always gotta be 1. I think he'll put in the work and improve his shooting. With his athleticism and length, guys in HS had to lay back and give him more open looks. I know I'd have dared him to shoot, versus being embarassed and slammed on having him blow by me. On top of his injury, he's also had to adjust to defenders who are also longer and can get out to cover him tighter... not to mention a longer shot. Just seems so strange to me to feel like there are "fans" not rooting for the guy. Hope he's a multi-year starter and all-star.

Reactions: MrBing and T.M.P.
Always gotta be 1. I think he'll put in the work and improve his shooting. With his athleticism and length, guys in HS had to lay back and give him more open looks. I know I'd have dared him to shoot, versus being embarassed and slammed on having him blow by me. On top of his injury, he's also had to adjust to defenders who are also longer and can get out to cover him tighter... not to mention a longer shot. Just seems so strange to me to feel like there are "fans" not rooting for the guy. Hope he's a multi-year starter and all-star.
He needs to learn how to drive to the left and use his left hand.

it'll ruin your day! He looks great and it's nice to see the sort of aggressiveness that I felt he did lack when he was here. I'm sure the injury played a part, but also, maybe he's just absorbing the message and Stevens is getting through to him. Regardless, good to see.

looks great in a highlight video? No way

looks great in a highlight video? No way

Did you watch the videos? 6'4" shooting guard dunking putbacks and over defenders in the NBA? Not your "typical" highlight moments for a shooting guard. Explosiveness and athleticism we never saw while he was at IU... that's what was noteworthy to me.

Sort of reminded me of Vince Carter. Lots of reports of all-world moments in HS, and was a solid player, but never consistently awesome at UNC, and then became half-man, half-amazing in the NBA. Hopefully a similar trajectory for Romeo.

Romeo is one of the most gifted Indiana HS players that I have ever watched while at New Albany. Romeo has NBA All-Star level physical gifts, what he is able to actually produce in NBA games will determine his ceiling in the NBA.

Look at a player's entire body of work, not just the limited timeframe while they were at IU.

Last edited:
Did you watch the videos? 6'4" shooting guard dunking putbacks and over defenders in the NBA? Not your "typical" highlight moments for a shooting guard. Explosiveness and athleticism we never saw while he was at IU... that's what was noteworthy to me.

Sort of reminded me of Vince Carter. Lots of reports of all-world moments in HS, and was a solid player, but never consistently awesome at UNC, and then became half-man, half-amazing in the NBA. Hopefully a similar trajectory for Romeo.

jesus I just saw this post, I have been busy.... You on crack again?

vince carter?!??? Really? The nba iron man??? Dude, romeo does not care about basketball like Vince. Not even on the same planet. Jaylen brown is the one you should be comparing to Vince.

wanna talk about guards slamming on dudes heads??? That ain’t romeo on the Cs doin it, but man brown??? Nasty, multi time all star in his future.

Reactions: kkott
I’m glad I didn’t see this post till now, you were trying to push my buttons weren’t you. The blocks on that highlight real.... you really think that was impressive? Blocking a white guy that at his peak elevation is about 8 and a half feet? Then again on a dude doing a euro step?

You were trolling and it worked.

I’m glad I didn’t see this post till now, you were trying to push my buttons weren’t you. The blocks on that highlight real.... you really think that was impressive? Blocking a white guy that at his peak elevation is about 8 and a half feet? Then again on a dude doing a euro step?

You were trolling and it worked.

You're missing the point of my comparison to Vince. The only way I was comparing Romeo to Vince was that they both entered college with mega-expectations and both had good but relatively quiet college "careers" compared to the expectations when they entered. You're probably too young to remember, but Vince was probably the first highly publicized HS player I remember... not quite LeBron, but hyped more than anyone to that time that I recall. They were actually selling highlight video tapes of him from high school.

My hope for Romeo, is that like Vince he rebounds with his NBA career and it's more on par with the expectations based on his HS years. Yes, I do think those were scant but impressive highlights, because they were for the types of plays we rarely saw from him at IU: help on D and aggressiveness and explosiveness around the hoop.

Yes, I know any post about Romeo that's positive in any regard will get your goat... and that's always fun!~

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh
You're missing the point of my comparison to Vince. The only way I was comparing Romeo to Vince was that they both entered college with mega-expectations and both had good but relatively quiet college "careers" compared to the expectations when they entered. You're probably too young to remember, but Vince was probably the first highly publicized HS player I remember... not quite LeBron, but hyped more than anyone to that time that I recall. They were actually selling highlight video tapes of him from high school.

My hope for Romeo, is that like Vince he rebounds with his NBA career and it's more on par with the expectations based on his HS years. Yes, I do think those were scant but impressive highlights, because they were for the types of plays we rarely saw from him at IU: help on D and aggressiveness and explosiveness around the hoop.

Yes, I know any post about Romeo that's positive in any regard will get your goat... and that's always fun!~

I would bet a lot of money Romeo is a bust. He just doesn’t care about basketball with all his heart. Have I asked him that question? Of course not. But I have watched basketball for long enough to tell when someone has a fire in them. Every nba Star has it in them. You can’t be great without giving it everything you have.

you really gonna tell me romeo wants to win more than the other guys on the court?

I would bet a lot of money Romeo is a bust. He just doesn’t care about basketball with all his heart. Have I asked him that question? Of course not. But I have watched basketball for long enough to tell when someone has a fire in them. Every nba Star has it in them. You can’t be great without giving it everything you have.

you really gonna tell me romeo wants to win more than the other guys on the court?

I definitely think that's a legit concern with Romeo. I think the modern era of big contracts, AAU, publicity, "my brand", etc... has led to guys being way more concerned with their personal skills and hype than being part of a winning program or just winning. The AAU things, kids talk about "tournaments" and the # of coaches there... you rarely hear them concerned about winning the tourney, and a lost game is no big deal... they'll be another one, or on to the tournament next month. As a program, we've had way too many of those guys in the last 20 years and it's hurt us.

But, I do think he's a pretty hard worker and likes it more than you give him credit for, even if it's because of the attention and not the Ws. That to me is yet to be determined. But, I think he will work hard on his skills and we'll see him become a much better shooter. To the degree he has the desire to win you talk about, might determine just how successful and long lived he is in the NBA, but I'm not nearly as pessimistic as you and the better he does, the better for IU, so I want to see him have a long career and continue to sport the candy stripes and promote IU.

I also think he couldn't have landed in a better spot than Boston with Brad Stevens. I think with his IN ties he can really help Romeo and we know he's a great coach. Perfect spot for him and I wondered if the increased "interest" in helping on D wasn't attributable to BS.

Last edited:
Romeo cares far more about Basketball than what his emotions show on the court. Alex English for example showed almost no emotion on the court and was one of the greatest scorers of his era. Jay Edwards looked half asleep on the court, but definitely had ice in his veins for clutch end of game game winning shots. Just because someone is smooth and does not demonstrably show emotion on the court does not mean they do not have fire in the belly. It is the mental game, too emotional players are easy to beat, get under their skin, agitate them defensively, talk trash, they fall apart when the game is on the line. Mentally weak opponents almost always show all their emotions on their sleeve. The silent assassin who is difficult to read his emotions is much more controlled and dangerous when the game is on the line. There are always exceptions to this rule. Scott Skiles for example or John McEnroe fueled their inner drive with outwardly emotional outbursts and I loved to see that fire when they used it inside to motivate themselves internally, effectively harnessing that angry energy to drive them to greater success. But most of the time outwardly emotional players emotions work against them. I prefer the ice man, Bruce Lee type stoic body language, over the overly emotional chest bump after a dunk, or 3 goggles after after every made 3pt shot guy.

Reactions: MrBing and kkott
Romeo cares far more about Basketball than what his emotions show on the court. Alex English for example showed almost no emotion on the court and was one of the greatest scorers of his era. Jay Edwards looked half asleep on the court, but definitely had ice in his veins for clutch end of game game winning shots. Just because someone is smooth and does not demonstrably show emotion on the court does not mean they do not have fire in the belly. It is the mental game, too emotional players are easy to beat, get under their skin, agitate them defensively, talk trash, they fall apart when the game is on the line. Mentally weak opponents almost always show all their emotions on their sleeve. The silent assassin who is difficult to read his emotions is much more controlled and dangerous when the game is on the line. There are always exceptions to this rule. Scott Skiles for example or John McEnroe fueled their inner drive with outwardly emotional outbursts and I loved to see that fire when they used it inside to motivate themselves internally, effectively harnessing that angry energy to drive them to greater success. But most of the time outwardly emotional players emotions work against them. I prefer the ice man, Bruce Lee type stoic body language, over the overly emotional chest bump after a dunk, or 3 goggles after after every made 3pt shot guy.

Bruce Lee, Karate man?

1138111ecabb474c8ccc828c81b34100.gif

Bruce Lee never used or studied karate.

*eyeroll*

Maybe not, but Jeet Kune Do Man just doesn't evoke the same image as Karate Man. He KarateMan to me! Hard to believe he died at 32 and in 1973 with the notoriety he had and continues to have. Icon.

The Bruce Lee fight scene in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was pretty funny though:

Reactions: ufo33
Maybe not, but Jeet Kune Do Man just doesn't evoke the same image as Karate Man. He KarateMan to me! Hard to believe he died at 32 and in 1973 with the notoriety he had and continues to have. Icon.

The Bruce Lee fight scene in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was pretty funny though:

That is great!

Romeo led IU in scoring as a Freshman, with a torn ligament in the thumb of his shooting hand.
He scored and made his average by having big games against teams like Grand Canyon State and bowling Green, that’s how built his average up! He was over rated! He didn’t help IU win shit! You can take that to the bank’

He scored and made his average by having big games against teams like Grand Canyon State and bowling Green, that’s how built his average up! He was over rated! He didn’t help IU win shit! You can take that to the bank’
He scored 20+ 11 times and 7 of those games were in conference. 3 of the out of conference games were Arkansas, Marquette, and Louisville. He had an additional 9 games in the range of 15-19 points, with 5 of those being against conference foes. That's 20 games of 15+ and 15 of those against high major competition. His 7 highest scoring games were also against high major computation.

So the facts don't really fit your narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmygoiu and kkott

Romeo may be on Jay Edwards' NBA trajectory? Heard it here first.

Romeo may be on Jay Edwards' NBA trajectory? Heard it here first.
Jay only played a few games for the Clippers in his career and that was it. Romeo has obviously surpassed Jay’s NBA trajectory.
I think you mean Romeo’s NBA career might be short lived after the initial contract which you could be spot on.
I think Romeo will be in the league beyond the first contract. There are a lot of questions about his game which have been discussed in great detail on this board.:)

I hope he has a good career for himself and it is a good reflection on IU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT