ADVERTISEMENT

Carton in B'ton this weekend

cid:A3F6B5BB-FF9D-4CD5-8A35-9DDB259E558E

DJ will cut his list to three schools tonight. Who's going to be left?

Who cares? I'm just ready for him to decide. The longer this drags out the more I think he's just waiting for more offers.
To be fair this is the biggest decision of his young life. And he hasn’t even started his senior year of high school yet. I don’t think he’s dragging anything out. I think he’s taking his time to make the right decision for him. He gains nothing by committing before he’s fully ready.

To be fair this is the biggest decision of his young life. And he hasn’t even started his senior year of high school yet. I don’t think he’s dragging anything out. I think he’s taking his time to make the right decision for him. He gains nothing by committing before he’s fully ready.
You're right, my post was kind of tongue in cheek. I just feel like he's still open to more offers from bluebloods.

Last edited:
You're right, my post was kind of tongue in cheek. I just feel like he's still open to more offers from bluebloods.

I don't know, from his comments seems like he's wanting to wrap it up to focus on his season. It seems like most feel negative about our chances, but I look at it as we've made up alot of ground and have the highest trajectory. Recruiting is always my biggest concern when a mid-major coach moves up, but I think Archie has already put that one to rest.

Last edited:
I don't know, from his comments seems like he's wanting to wrap it up to focus on his season. It seems like most feel negative about our chances, but I look at it as we've made up alot of ground and have the highest trajectory. Recruiting is always my biggest concern when a mid-major coach moves up, but I think Archie has already put that one to rest.

I heard from an AAU source this morning Carton is heading to tOSU tomorrow for an OV. If true (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), at the conclusion of the visit he would have made officials to his Final 3.

Also hearing that despite CB predictions on 247 for Michigan, it's virtually a dead heat between us, the Buckeyes and Michigan.

Should know something soon . . .

I feel like OSU will win him over. Hes lived in BFE his whole life. Columbus is more exciting than Bloomington and Ann Arbor. And he would be the man from day 1 there.

Reactions: fronk71
I feel like OSU will win him over. Hes lived in BFE his whole life. Columbus is more exciting than Bloomington and Ann Arbor. And he would be the man from day 1 there.

Never having been there, I can't personally opine but I've heard that OSU's campus kind of sucks as it's incorporated right into the town. As far as home courts go, ie; crowd support, prestige, vibe, etc, I'll suggest it's a no-brainer.

McHoop

Never having been there, I can't personally opine but I've heard that OSU's campus kind of sucks as it's incorporated right into the town. As far as home courts go, ie; crowd support, prestige, vibe, etc, I'll suggest it's a no-brainer.

McHoop

I've been to Columbus, and it (tOSU campus) can't hold a candle to Bloomington (never been to Ann Arbor).

IMHO, I think it's between us and Meatchicken. Could go either way.

Reactions: kkott and IUgradman
I've been to Columbus, and it (tOSU campus) can't hold a candle to Bloomington (never been to Ann Arbor).

Its kind of hard to seperate Columbus from the OSU campus. They intertwine in multiple areas and the campus feels more "down town". Not saying its a good or bad thing, its just that you don't get that "college town" feel.

Michigan and IU are the same in that you get the "college town" feel, but the actual campuses are pretty different.

Michigan really can't compete with IU. Its flat, has no trees, and to me, kinda boring. Especially in the winter. I always felt like the best word to describe it would be "tundra".

IU really is one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation. Easily top 20.

But Michigan is one of the best schools in the nation.

He really can't go wrong here.....

Reactions: kkott and IUgradman
Its kind of hard to seperate Columbus from the OSU campus. They intertwine in multiple areas and the campus feels more "down town". Not saying its a good or bad thing, its just that you don't get that "college town" feel.

Michigan and IU are the same in that you get the "college town" feel, but the actual campuses are pretty different.

Michigan really can't compete with IU. Its flat, has no trees, and to me, kinda boring. Especially in the winter. I always felt like the best word to describe it would be "tundra".

You are correct about OSU, a very urban campus.
But you're misinformed about UM. There are buildings that IU can't hold a candle to and no lack of trees. Have you yever ventured off main campus to North Campus or the Medical Center Complex neither of which are flat? You may have missed the forest through these trees!
:)

university-of-michigan-B.jpg

IU really is one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation. Easily top 20.

But Michigan is one of the best schools in the nation.

He really can't go wrong here.....

Lived in Columbus for 2 years and there's no comparison to being an IU bball player or OSU (and I imagine the same goes for UM). I saw where Greg Oden is now finishing his degree at OSU and is mostly unknown around campus. That would never happen at IU. Once your an IU player, you will always be recognized as such and would never be anonymous on campus. I think it's one of our greatest recruiting advantages and one I hope CAM can leverage. Seems so relevant in this day and age when everyone is concerned about their "brand". The "brand recognition" for an IU bball player is off the charts compared to most of the rest of the B10 and nationally for that matter.

Michigan and Ohio State are football first schools, in strong football states. Always have been. Always will be. IU is a Basketball school in a Basketball state. Where Basketballl is a religion and a huge part of Hoosier culture in every corner and town in the state. There really is no comparison if you are a high-level HS Basketball player looking for your best fit. Hoosier Nation is as real as you can get.

Last edited:

OSU campus is awful and in worst parts of a city that is equal to Indy circa 1984. AA is better but not a desirable campus. All three schools are solid academically. IU is obviously the superior MBB setting with facilities, support, status, and media ratings.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
OSU campus is awful and in worst parts of a city that is equal to Indy circa 1984. AA is better but not a desirable campus. All three schools are solid academically. IU is obviously the superior MBB setting with facilities, support, status, and media ratings.

Columbus looks better if you take off the crimson colored glasses!

Seriously, I much prefer Btown, but the OSU campus isn't that bad and isn't in the worst part of town. Been down there many times and never felt the least bit unsafe. I actually think at times the rural/suburban setting of Btown can actually work against IU for prospects from bigger cities, but guessing Bettendorf IA isn't that.

New to Rivals but I think this is a big recruit ( i don’t feel great about it ) but he is good friends with TJD and I could see this being like last year and dominos fall with TJD committing soon after. Keion who by all accounts we are in the lead ( someone close to him said if he was picking today that IU is where he’d go) but it’s along way to go. And Newman sounds like we are in a good spot with him moving to FL I worry about the geography. Anyways it’s good to be a Hoosier.

Last edited:

Seriously, I much prefer Btown, but the OSU campus isn't that bad and isn't in the worst part of town. Been down there many times and never felt the least bit unsafe. I actually think at times the rural/suburban setting of Btown can actually work against IU for prospects from bigger cities, but guessing Bettendorf IA isn't that.
Is there any evidence to support your thesis that big city recruits avoid small towns like Bloomington? What specific cases are referring to?

Is there any evidence to support your thesis that big city recruits avoid small towns like Bloomington? What specific cases are referring to?

I've heard it referred to as an issue for some, but I think you know the answer to that. Have you ever heard a prospect who just commits, go in to detail about why they didn't pick the other schools on their list? Doesn't generally happen out of common courtesy.

I think even Isiah talked about that being an issue he had to consider and that his family discussed.

We will never agree on that. Is it High St where the bars are? Pretty run down hood. I would take PU over OS from a campus standpoint

We will never agree on that. Is it High St where the bars are? Pretty run down hood. I would take PU over OS from a campus standpoint

Older? Yes. A bit neglected with some urban blight? Yes. Not as pretty as Btown? Yes. In one of the worst parts, or even a really bad part, of Columbus? Nope.

Reactions: IUgradman
I would expect OSU to ramp up their involvement with TJD. That program has a lot of momentum now. He and Carton are friends.

Reactions: fronk71
Ohio State it is. Surprising. Holtmann must have brought in good hookers for the visit. That’s a joke BTW.
You have nowadays say you're joking. People don't understand sarcasm. Holtman is doing well at Ohio St. I think he could probably sell more PT there. Honestly it was a coin toss for me on hiring Holtman or Archie here. A lot of people here were not high on Holtman for whatever reason. In the long run I think Archie was the better choice.

Holtmann is absolutely killing it at OSU. It’s hard to imagine a better first 15 months for any new coach. Especially one who had never coached at a big time program before.

I have a feeling we’re going to have some good battles with them, on the court and in recruiting, for a lot of years to come.

I think OSU as a school is a big draw, moreso than even the coach. Big campus in a bustling, vibrant city, huge sports school, great facilities. There are a lot of positives.

IU hasn’t had a lot of sports success and is in a smaller city. It’s not as “big time”, so to speak.

I suppose we can take solace in the fact that OSU would have absolutely hired Archie if IU hadn’t snagged him up first.

I think OSU as a school is a big draw, moreso than even the coach. Big campus in a bustling, vibrant city, huge sports school, great facilities. There are a lot of positives.

IU hasn’t had a lot of sports success and is in a smaller city. It’s not as “big time”, so to speak.
bustling vibrant city?

Reactions: T.M.P.
ADVERTISEMENT