ADVERTISEMENT

Carton in B'ton this weekend

WTF, our coach is trying to have multiple good PG's on the team at the same time??? Like the big boys? Crazy!

Man, how nice would it have been to have Bryant McIntosh on the roster for the last 4 years? Glad to see our coach is putting such a priority on depth... what a concept!

WTF, our coach is trying to have multiple good PG's on the team at the same time??? Like the big boys? Crazy!

Man, how nice would it have been to have Bryant McIntosh on the roster for the last 4 years? Glad to see our coach is putting such a priority on depth... what a concept!

Crean brought in Priller AND April in the same class. Now that is the depths. Gelon was his death knell though. I finally realized that Crean would not get the job done at IU, and was done with him.

Reactions: IUgradman and kkott
Carton would be huge. Hoping Coach Miller can continue working his magic and get this done. I'd still be happy with the other 2019 PG targets, but Carton has to be at the top of the wish list.

kkot is on the money. Having two quality PGs takes IU to another level. I'm convinced Crean got himself fired because in 4 years he could not land a high level PG to replace or play with Yogi.

At the same time, he also struggled to get more than one legit big man at a time for the most part - whether it was missing out on recruits, transfers, or having to remove guys from the team. But now IU seems to be putting together a top tier program's roster at all positions.

The only regret with BMac playing for us would have been being coached by Crean. He never would have excelled under CTC, although I would have loved to have seen BMac play here for Archie.

I seriously doubt Archie would have been running after East Coast guys with McIntosh available. Being from New Castle I love Mason Gillis, but I understand why Archie didn't prioritize him over TJD and Keion. There wasn't another player from the state in 2014 outside of Lyles and JBJr that you'd want outside of McIntosh. Crean dragging him along and not offering was one of many big mistakes that doomed his tenure here.

Reactions: IUgradman
Carton would be huge. Hoping Coach Miller can continue working his magic and get this done. I'd still be happy with the other 2019 PG targets, but Carton has to be at the top of the wish list.

kkot is on the money. Having two quality PGs takes IU to another level. I'm convinced Crean got himself fired because in 4 years he could not land a high level PG to replace or play with Yogi.

At the same time, he also struggled to get more than one legit big man at a time for the most part - whether it was missing out on recruits, transfers, or having to remove guys from the team. But now IU seems to be putting together a top tier program's roster at all positions.
The year Hanner was our only post option was when Crean used up his last chance. Hartman as our post player was unthinkable for a team in the B1G. Priller and April were the right recruits by position, but they sicked and were never going to play. It wasn't like they played early and were benched. They never played, so Crean knew from day 1 they sucked.

It makes me so happy to see quality recruits and someone with a plan.

The only regret with BMac playing for us would have been being coached by Crean. He never would have excelled under CTC, although I would have loved to have seen BMac play here for Archie.

I seriously doubt Archie would have been running after East Coast guys with McIntosh available. Being from New Castle I love Mason Gillis, but I understand why Archie didn't prioritize him over TJD and Keion. There wasn't another player from the state in 2014 outside of Lyles and JBJr that you'd want outside of McIntosh. Crean dragging him along and not offering was one of many big mistakes that doomed his tenure here.

Just a goofy sporadic approach. McIntosh might have been optional if he'd gone hard after Demetrius Jackson, who it was rumored wanted to come to IU. It just seemed like he wanted a team of wings. My personal joke about him became: "what's Tom Crean's favorite snack? Wings!"

Last edited:
Just a goofy sporadic approach. McIntosh might have been optional if he'd gone hard after Demetrius Jackson, who was rumored wanted to come to IU. It just seemed like he wanted a team of wings. My personal joke about him became: "what's Tom Crean's favorite snack? Wings!"
Demetrius was from the year before BMac. Would have loved to have had him as well.

Whomever said Crean was a great recruiter is a freaking idiot . . . :mad:

I would really like to get this player, but according to 247 sports it doesn't look like we have a very good chance. Has anyone heard how his visit is going?

1_8427798.jpg

DJ CARTON
  • PG
  • 6-2
  • BETTENDORF, IA (BETTENDORF)
WHERE WILL DJ CARTON COMMIT TO?
  • 1_4682325.png
    82%
  • 1_4648332.png
    9%
  • 1_4703851.png
    9%
All Predictions

I would really like to get this player, but according to 247 sports it doesn't look like we have a very good chance. Has anyone heard how his visit is going?

1_8427798.jpg

DJ CARTON
  • PG
  • 6-2
  • BETTENDORF, IA (BETTENDORF)
WHERE WILL DJ CARTON COMMIT TO?
  • 1_4682325.png
    82%
  • 1_4648332.png
    9%
  • 1_4703851.png
    9%
All Predictions
Well, for starters I agree he is a long shot for IU. However, if you are basing your opinion on 247. Wisky is out of it and has been for some time now.

Well, for starters I agree he is a long shot for IU. However, if you are basing your opinion on 247. Wisky is out of it and has been for some time now.

Marquette has been eliminated as well.

Some believe it’s between IU and Michigan. Took a official to Michigan last week, at IU this week. Those are the only scheduled visits at this time.

Not saying it’s IU, but it’s not a “long shot” either

I would consider Hurt a long shot

It's probably about 50/40 right now in favor of Michigan. Those odds could change if we wow him this weekend. Duke would have a shot if they got involved. We're definitely in it.

Marquette has been eliminated as well.

Some believe it’s between IU and Michigan. Took a official to Michigan last week, at IU this week. Those are the only scheduled visits at this time.

Not saying it’s IU, but it’s not a “long shot” either

I would consider Hurt a long shot

Actually he was at UM on Thurs and Fri, and then came direct to Bloomington. He'll be here till Sun am...

IU is definitely not a long shot, and word is the visit has gone very well. This is a guy Archie REALLY wants. UM has a bit of an advantage due to some connections to the staff, but IU has done a good job of selling him on his role. One of the keys to his decision is said to be how well he meshes with potential teammates...

HawkeyeNation Forums

Q. What are you looking at for a decision timeline?

DJC: The goal is to get it done before high school season just so I can focus on that and trying help my team win. With recruiting going on during high school basketball it gets a little tough and stressful at times. So, I want to keep my mind right and put all my focus into high school.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
No one thing individually, but he and his family have been silent since these two key visits. They haven’t responded to either IU or Michigan sportswriter inquiries about the visits. Could they be mulling things over? Conversely, if he doesn’t pick either very shortly, it could mean he’s possibly opening his recruitment up. We shall see.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
I heard from a friend that the Carton family had asked for a 24-48 hour reflection period and then they would share how the visits went. DJ has said that he would like to make a decision before school starts. Bettendorf High School start Thursday, August 23rd. :)

Not liking our chances here. I think Michigan pulls this one out.
I like our chances a bit better than most, call it 50/50. That being said considering my thoughts on Belein as a coach, I wouldn't blame him one bit for picking Michigan. As Archie continues to prove himself I think this is a battle he will win more often than not.

Actually he was at UM on Thurs and Fri, and then came direct to Bloomington. He'll be here till Sun am...

IU is definitely not a long shot, and word is the visit has gone very well. This is a guy Archie REALLY wants. UM has a bit of an advantage due to some connections to the staff, but IU has done a good job of selling him on his role. One of the keys to his decision is said to be how well he meshes with potential teammates...
If the distance is a factor, IU has the edge. Yes!!!

354.2 miles between Bettendorf, Iowa and Bloomington, Indiana (5hr and 30 minutes)
369.4 miles between Bettendorf, Iowa and Lansing, Michigan (5hr and 31 minutes)
Lansing?

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
If the distance is a factor, IU has the edge. Yes!!!

354.2 miles between Bettendorf, Iowa and Bloomington, Indiana (5hr and 30 minutes)
369.4 miles between Bettendorf, Iowa and Lansing, Michigan (5hr and 31 minutes)
I thought UM to be in Ann Arbor.

Ann Arbor and Detroit is not nearly as nice as Bloomington. Detroit was named the worst city in the U.S. to live.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT