ADVERTISEMENT

Carr looks like nice upgrade

jacksback

Junior
Feb 5, 2003
Carr is looking like a nice upgrade for us at the RB position. That's not to diminish Stevie who was an excellent back but Carr appears to be far more dynamic. From listening to CTA, it sounds like he has all the tools.....speed, elusive, power, pass catching and blocking. Let's hope he can stay healthy which was his biggest issue for the bulk of his career at USC. On another note, I saw that Stevie was already cut by the Saints which is too bad.

Carr is looking like a nice upgrade for us at the RB position. That's not to diminish Stevie who was an excellent back but Carr appears to be far more dynamic. From listening to CTA, it sounds like he has all the tools.....speed, elusive, power, pass catching and blocking. Let's hope he can stay healthy which was his biggest issue for the bulk of his career at USC. On another note, I saw that Stevie was already cut by the Saints which is too bad.
The best ability is availability.

Too bad for Stevie. Was fairly predictable considering his limitations, but if he felt 2021 was his best shot at making the NFL, good for him to chase his dream.

What really sucks is with his skillset he doesn't really even fit into the CFL model of game that's more wide open. He would've been a real asset to an Arena League (RIP) team with his ability to play RB & LB in that kind of system.

With [hopefully] improved OL play this season, Carr has the potential to put up huge numbers.

Without question Carr is our most versatile, experienced and best back, the only question to be answered for him is, can he stay healthy ? Between, he , Baldwin and Ellis, it is easy to see why James headed for the exit. It wasn’t about relationships (or lack there of) it was clearly about a path to playing time. He saw not only this year’s group, but our freshmen and what is coming in next year, PT was going to be hard to come by for him. This is clearly evident by him not entering the portal until after fall camp had begun, otherwise , he would have been gone last spring.

Re-posting from the Premium Board:

Not sure many realize how good Stephen Carr is or could be. I certainly did not. He could have an absolutely monster year and looks more like the kind of back that IU faces against the likes of Penn State, OSU, etc. rather than someone running out of the Hoosier backfield. Explosive, elusive, hard to bring down, blocks, catches and does not fumble. Thinking there aren't many better backs in Conference, but in any case looks to be a huge upgrade over the last few years...

I look for IU's run game to be vastly improved this year due to talent and coaching. Getting the OL to mesh together and work as a single unit is key to really improving the run game.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Just curious if Carr does put up big which I hope he does is it improved line play or improved running back play?
As someone else said, probably both. There's little doubt, though, that he won't have a breakout season without improved OL play. Our run-blocking, per PFF, was just 8th in the conference in 2020, while pass-blocking was dead last, and near the bottom of all P5 schools. The sky is the limit for Penix (and, who knows, maybe for Carr) if the OL improves.

Really need the running game to pick it up this season. Weather won't always be conducive for an air attack. Need to be able to bleed the clock with the lead late in games. Would also keep the defenses guessing if we can be near 50/50 ratio.

ADVERTISEMENT