ADVERTISEMENT

Carpenter becomes 3rd Chevy to flip at IMS

Chad_36

All-American
Mar 23, 2002
Indycar has announced they're taking out the boost for qualifying today. That had no impact in Helio and Newgarden going upside down though. Chevy has a definite problem. Ed says his backup won't ready and he'll have to qualify for row 11 this afternoon.

Indycar has announced they're taking out the boost for qualifying today. That had no impact in Helio and Newgarden going upside down though. Chevy has a definite problem. Ed says his backup won't ready and he'll have to qualify for row 11 this afternoon.

Don't hold your breath waiting for GM to have a recall, eh?;)

Everything is jacked up there now. Sounds like they're going to force the Chevys to drop parts of their aero kit too. Shooting for another practice around noonish. Qualifying after that.

the moving target on specs is killing this event
Indycar is the worse run racing series and it's a shame too because the oval racing is very good. Much better than NASCAR in my opinion. But NASCAR as a whole blows the indycar product out of the water. Nostalgia keeps the 500 alive but each year the hype gets less and less even in Indiana.

I just watched the Carpenter crash. not sure what all the hand-wringing is about. rear end just got loose. looked just like Mears crash from 92. why is this different?

Safety First. But to change things the morning of qualifying makes the sport look bad. Didn't they have a few years to test it?

Regardless, even with a different aero pkg. they'll be trimmed out and we will be seeing some 230mph+.

I just watched the Carpenter crash. not sure what all the hand-wringing is about. rear end just got loose. looked just like Mears crash from 92. why is this different?
The 2 CFH cars hit the wall, broke off the left front and allowed the right rear to get into the wind. They flipped over but the car protected both of them. Helio's crash was the only real aero issue. That could have happened to last years car too. Smaller or shorter under tray would help that, but hurt downforce.

I never saw the point of giving more boost for qualifying. That is a NASCAR type move that I hate.

Last edited:
CFH racing appears to have put Carpenter's setup on both cars, which is the traditional stiffer spring rate, get the car up in the air, reduce drag and consequently diminish the margin for error for the drivers. All three crashes looked to me like the drivers pinched the cars a little, slightly upset the car, and spun. Turn a wing upside down and it creates 'downforce'. Right side up, it flies.......

I think this is overreaction.....which seems to be the instinct of today's public society...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT