ADVERTISEMENT

Can we start discussing who will be our next coach yet?

Just another random opinion on a message board here, but I like the direction of the team and program. The game today was a well played game between two tournament caliber teams and the wrong team hit two desperation-ish 3's late to steal the win. Haven't looked at the stats yet but I don't think there were more than 12 turnovers combined by both teams. Jerome rushing that pass against the press and Green's shot selection in the final 2 minutes cost them the game but those are fixable (JH will learn from it and Devonte doesn't have to be on the court in that situation).

I see a team growing with each game and can tell the foundation is getting stronger. I don't think anyone is satisfied with just being 'pretty good' or 'competitive' but that's where they are right now and I do like watching the development. They'll need to go from being a good defensive team to a great defensive team and get some shooters to get to the next level.

But it's coming.

I hope TJD doesn’t leave. I’m actually looking forward to next years team. It will be the first good IU team in 5 years.
Are you assuming we land about 4 new recruits and half the team transfers in the offseason?

Please, please, make an argument of any kind that a team with 19 wins in any league should get in? The last time I remember it happening was like late 90's with UNC and a ton of people bitched about that. They got in because of bias and they were starting to get hot and had played a real schedule, we on the other hand HAVE NOT done that, nor are we getting on a roll when we choke gimme's at home. So, tell what our big resume is as we're limping it in with 4 more wins? Most teams with as many or many fewer wins than we have are ranked … why are we not, go figure?

You’re such a douche. An 19 win Ohio State team got in last year with an 8-12 conference record. IU will 100% get in the tournament with 19 wins this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBing
You’re such a douche. An 19 win Ohio State team got in last year with an 8-12 conference record. IU will 100% get in the tournament with 19 wins this year.

And to even further illustrate how moronic go_iu is, Baylor and Florida also received at-large bids last year despite having 19 wins. Oklahoma got in 2 years ago with 18 wins.

People as clueless and oblivious as go_iu need to lose their posting privileges whenever they post something so dumb.

Are you assuming we land about 4 new recruits and half the team transfers in the offseason?

lol....I’m far from an Archie fan, but we should have a top 15 team, next year (assuming TJD comes back). There are literally 50 coaches who could come to IU and put together a top 15 team if given 5 years. Tom Crean did it 3 times and he’s awful.

lol....I’m far from an Archie fan, but we should have a top 15 team, next year (assuming TJD comes back). There are literally 50 coaches who could come to IU and put together a top 15 team if given 5 years. Tom Crean did it 3 times and he’s awful.
Agree that most could. But next year’s roster with or without TJD is faarrrrrr from top 15. I’m not sure it’s top 30-40.

OSU and MD have lost a $shit ton more than their great ranking this year, I'm not sure it means a lot, when you beat death spiral teams on our floor. Problem is we didn't today, and should have, easily!

Well, wish upon a star, I bet he made more for this HOME LOSS, plus choke job than most of us do in a year, so f'k him, what do you care if we are not getting any better or winning games we should win, or recruiting anybody real. He should have had us ready to punch in the mouth, from the goddamn get go today. Cut ties, end it as any program with an ounce of self respect should already. You want to see another year like this after 4 seasons, senior departures and role players on the way? Why wait till the inevitable?

Just another random opinion on a message board here, but I like the direction of the team and program. The game today was a well played game between two tournament caliber teams and the wrong team hit two desperation-ish 3's late to steal the win. Haven't looked at the stats yet but I don't think there were more than 12 turnovers combined by both teams. Jerome rushing that pass against the press and Green's shot selection in the final 2 minutes cost them the game but those are fixable (JH will learn from it and Devonte doesn't have to be on the court in that situation).

I see a team growing with each game and can tell the foundation is getting stronger. I don't think anyone is satisfied with just being 'pretty good' or 'competitive' but that's where they are right now and I do like watching the development. They'll need to go from being a good defensive team to a great defensive team and get some shooters to get to the next level.

But it's coming.

I don't, and I am passionate about IU ball. Your opinion seems reasoned, but you know, there was a time, and especially for what Archie get's paid, that we should EXPECT to kick the shit out of ANYBODY, ANYBODY at home. He is no where close to that, but that's where it needs to be and his recruiting is sub-par because we are now hailing like what would be a star of Rose-Hulman as an impact player there in D3.

I'm going to let it play out the rest of the season if we fall apart then we can discuss firing Archie. I think we can all agree not making the tournament would be a reason for firing.

You don’t beat MSU and have Maryland beat and not be a decent/good team. If the Hoosiers best PSU 1 out of 2, handle PU at home , and handle UW at home , they’ll be in good shape. Need 1 in Big10 tournament. With this schedule , and the toughness of the conference, 19 will get Hoosiers in. FSU keeps climbing , which is making that win look very good.
What about Purdue? Can IU beat them home and away?

Fagotron, you're suggesting we make the NCAAT if we win 4 more games? Oh, I'll take that bet all day long.

Wanna bet, if we don't get to 21? I'd wager a lot. We are 15-5, even with the shits-show today, that looks like a pretty, pretty, pretty good record for those teams that are considered to be good because they've actually played people. We have not, MSU, FSU, at home, Nebraska, on the road … you are supposed to win that $shit, c'mon, and it's like a signature of this team not losing in dumb ways … well, like today anymore? An aberrant loss for those about to rock, is not going to kill them, but it will kill us.

In all probability, this loss will be the beginning of a 3 game losing streak, and this team will most likely lose 8 of the next 12 games (6 road games, a rematch with Wisconsin, and a home game with a very good Iowa team), placing their record at 19-13.

So, in all probability, Archie will not be fired, because... this is IU, and mediocrity is good enough.
Bwaha. Silly kids.

I'm going to let it play out the rest of the season if we fall apart then we can discuss firing Archie. I think we can all agree not making the tournament would be a reason for firing.
I don't think we can all agree on that. Miller would have to have dropped a Bryce Drew-esque 0-fer to get fired this year. He will get year 4 regardless at this point. But, if he doesn't get there twice by the end of year 5, I think he's done. And once he gets there, missing it is only acceptable about once every 5 years. Crean missed twice in four years and was shown the door, even with a conference championship in between.

I hope TJD doesn’t leave. I’m actually looking forward to next years team. It will be the first good IU team in 5 years.

If Archie is the guy, and TJD stays, which I think he will, we could have high expectations for next year. Next year, progress expectations need to be met though (not like, oh, we beat MSU at home by little and Arch deserves a 10 yr extension), regardless of whether he gets a win it or lose it year. I know you're not one of the rainbows/unicorns crowd, but 4 years in, no NCAA, at 3.5M per … what are we paying for, how much does every gimmick D uncontested 3, turnover cost? Not like there is real help on the way, his cost has to count for something, especially with the highest failed % recruiting budget in maybe the history of college basketball going on.

I don't think we can all agree on that. Miller would have to have dropped a Bryce Drew-esque 0-fer to get fired this year. He will get year 4 regardless at this point. But, if he doesn't get there twice by the end of year 5, I think he's done. And once he gets there, missing it is only acceptable about once every 5 years. Crean missed twice in four years and was shown the door, even with a conference championship in between.

I don't think so, why put that obligation on a new guy rather than the guy that should and could own up to his mistake on the way out? Not like Fred gives a flying F, Archie is set for life with what he's been paid by IU for bball failure thus far.

Why not start fresh, would anybody on here, me or anybody, not like to have your retirement package sweetened up by owning up to a mistake and making the new guy clean to put it right and not have 1-2 more years of mediocrity for no reason that benefits IU financially, but might benefit you … ie, if you play bad cop ?

Start off bad with donors and the BOT, trying to sell somebody competent into a "great job" position? Of course, I wouldn't want Fred doing the hiring again, but I have zero problems with Archie being asked to step away after he's made 10M here for shit results, by Fred, on their way out.

What about Purdue? Can IU beat them home and away?

JHC, I simply had to respond to this. Not your statement at all, but should we EVER expect to lose, especially at home! We pay 3.5M to ever expect to lose a game at HOME! No way, if that is the expectation we need a new coach when we get a new AD, the current AD has kind of slid out of his hiring criteria of "conference championships and deep NCAA tourney runs". Three years later, those words were his expectations. We've seen nothing much of improvement over improvement of not totally sucking, but it goes back to salary, and he's not earned it, nor has anything coming, how long do we tread that water again, for like an extension on snake oil salesmen for another 10 years

Last edited:

5 years, 5 of this nonsense, and Archie probably gets the benefit of the doubt? He needs the benefit of the doubt now, recruiting is dead. Are you f'n going to try to sell me anybody of Leal, Galloway, Geronimo that's going to impact this program any time soon? All role players, please be realistic, I would love them to prove me wrong, but, that's what it is, and like you don't have the largest expenditure in the league to go fail and spend 1M to get what we are getting, which I'd probably describe as Pat Graham on crutches, Kyle Hornsby (in a few years), Geronimo … I don't know much about, could be another diamond in rough, I don't like the way it's trending though, especially if this is a make or break year for Archie. Not good, he has to be able to recruit, so if he's not getting 5 chances at it, suck it up and fire him … pay somebody else a lot less to suck and not recruit, small expectations.

I don't, and I am passionate about IU ball. Your opinion seems reasoned, but you know, there was a time, and especially for what Archie get's paid, that we should EXPECT to kick the shit out of ANYBODY, ANYBODY at home. He is no where close to that, but that's where it needs to be and his recruiting is sub-par because we are now hailing like what would be a star of Rose-Hulman as an impact player there in D3.

IMO, Archie gets paid a top 10-15 salary because of the stress of dealing with nuts like us, not winning a conf or natl title in his first 3 years. Building an elite, nationally respected program (within the rules) takes time. And this fanbase isn't known for patience.

I like what I see so far - get old and stay old in the back court and take your shots with 5*'s in the front court (like TJD). Again, this takes time. He started with RJ and Newkirk, then had to start over.

Archie is competent, and not married to an eccentric philosophy like his predecessor. He'll figure it out.

IMO, Archie gets paid a top 10-15 salary because of the stress of dealing with nuts like us, not winning a conf or natl title in his first 3 years. Building an elite, nationally respected program (within the rules) takes time. And this fanbase isn't known for patience.

I like what I see so far - get old and stay old in the back court and take your shots with 5*'s in the front court (like TJD). Again, this takes time. He started with RJ and Newkirk, then had to start over.

Archie is competent, and not married to an eccentric philosophy like his predecessor. He'll figure it out.

Gimme a break, patience to see major improvement from Crean is too soon? It should nave been on display yr1, and then we see more with Romeo . After 3 years, but I will agree on "get old and stay old", guard wise, lets see that. Let's do see this MF'r earn his keep before the end of the season and not choke away shit that you should have won … gotta stop, I could go on, and on , and on, but they're just not getting it done , and recruiting id shit

Gimme a break, patience to see major improvement from Crean is too soon? It should nave been on display yr1, and then we see more with Romeo . After 3 years, but I will agree on "get old and stay old", guard wise, lets see that. Let's do see this MF'r earn his keep before the end of the season and not choke away shit that you should have won … gotta stop, I could go on, and on , and on, but they're just not getting it done , and recruiting id shit

So you agree with the 'get old, stay old' philosophy but you only give him a year and a half to do it?

How exactly do you "get old" in a year and a half?

You're suffering from 'right now' disease. It doesn't work that way. It took K 4-5 years to build Duke and Bennett 3-4 years to build VA. Williams at KU maybe? Even I don't have the patience to wait 10 years like it took Wright at Nova but good grief - 4-5 years shouldn't be too much to ask.

Knight and Stevens are anomalies, and they were cheap options at the time. IU missed its chance with Stevens because Crean landed Zeller - bad timing for a fun two year run, but I digress.

The odds of finding a magic elixir are slim to none. You should get behind the path we're on and enjoy the ride. It's gonna be better than you think.

Stop watching. You’re not in any condition to watch college basketball. I’m worried about your mental and physical health. You sound like you’re going to have a nervous breakdown and a heart attack.

Reactions: MrBing and JIMSHAM
JHC, I simply had to respond to this. Not your statement at all, but should we EVER expect to lose, especially at home! We pay 3.5M to ever expect to lose a game at HOME! No way, if that is the expectation we need a new coach when we get a new AD, the current AD has kind of slid out of his hiring criteria of "conference championships and deep NCAA tourney runs". Three years later, those words were his expectations. We've seen nothing much of improvement over improvement of not totally sucking, but it goes back to salary, and he's not earned it, nor has anything coming, how long do we tread that water again, for like an extension on snake oil salesmen for another 10 years
You keep harping on the 3.5M. A lot of money for a bookkeeper but not particularly for a power 5 basketball coach.

I expect you will go on and on

Reactions: MrBing
5 years, 5 of this nonsense, and Archie probably gets the benefit of the doubt? He needs the benefit of the doubt now, recruiting is dead. Are you f'n going to try to sell me anybody of Leal, Galloway, Geronimo that's going to impact this program any time soon? All role players, please be realistic, I would love them to prove me wrong, but, that's what it is, and like you don't have the largest expenditure in the league to go fail and spend 1M to get what we are getting, which I'd probably describe as Pat Graham on crutches, Kyle Hornsby (in a few years), Geronimo … I don't know much about, could be another diamond in rough, I don't like the way it's trending though, especially if this is a make or break year for Archie. Not good, he has to be able to recruit, so if he's not getting 5 chances at it, suck it up and fire him … pay somebody else a lot less to suck and not recruit, small expectations.
I never said anything about a benefit of the doubt.

Archie deserves time to show what he can build. We have improved each year, according to the data. Next year, we have three more kids coming in to replace two bench player graduates. We should be better, again. And there is a BUNCH of talent in Indiana in the year after, and almost none of it is committed yet.

You, feepaw, and victorbear should meet up and have a beer. Afterward, you can school them in horse by dropping 35 foot bombs on them. Anything to get this board a 1 hour break from the ranting.

Wanna bet, if we don't get to 21? I'd wager a lot. We are 15-5, even with the shits-show today, that looks like a pretty, pretty, pretty good record for those teams that are considered to be good because they've actually played people. We have not, MSU, FSU, at home, Nebraska, on the road … you are supposed to win that $shit, c'mon, and it's like a signature of this team not losing in dumb ways … well, like today anymore? An aberrant loss for those about to rock, is not going to kill them, but it will kill us.

So now you're moving the win total from 19 to 21 to get in the tournament, because I showed you that just last year 3 teams alone got in with 19 wins? Save your money pal, you need it. This IU team will be in the tournament with 4 more wins. Book it.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

yawn

Please, please, make an argument of any kind that a team with 19 wins in any league should get in? The last time I remember it happening was like late 90's with UNC and a ton of people bitched about that. They got in because of bias and they were starting to get hot and had played a real schedule, we on the other hand HAVE NOT done that, nor are we getting on a roll when we choke gimme's at home. So, tell what our big resume is as we're limping it in with 4 more wins? Most teams with as many or many fewer wins than we have are ranked … why are we not, go figure?
You can't remember last year? Ohio State was in at 19-14 and won their first game. Baylor and Florida also had 19 wins and won their first tournament games. IU would have been in with just one more win last year too.

So now you're moving the win total from 19 to 21 to get in the tournament, because I showed you that just last year 3 teams alone got in with 19 wins? Save your money pal, you need it. This IU team will be in the tournament with 4 more wins. Book it.
Iona got in with 17 wins too but I think they won their conference tournament to get in. I still have my printed bracket in my desk so I didn't need to look it up. ;):D

Iona got in with 17 wins too but I think they won their conference tournament to get in. I still have my printed bracket in my desk so I didn't need to look it up. ;):D

I believe they were an AQ but your point still stands. IU's remaining 11 games are all against either Q1 or Q2 opponents. With ZERO bad losses to date and with 4 more wins would put IU's Q1/Q2 win total at at least 9.

I believe they were an AQ but your point still stands. IU's remaining 11 games are all against either Q1 or Q2 opponents. With ZERO bad losses to date and with 4 more wins would put IU's Q1/Q2 win total at at least 9.
Like I've said before IU can win every game remaining on the schedule. I don't think they will sweep but I think they'll win 5 or 6 at least and they'll easily be in the tournament. Unfortunately they let this one slip away.

Like I've said before IU can win every game remaining on the schedule. I don't think they will sweep but I think they'll win 5 or 6 at least and they'll easily be in the tournament. Unfortunately they let this one slip away.

I think we hold serve at home and even if we lose our remaining away games (which is a real possibility given the nature of the B10 this year) we still end the year 20-11, 10-10 in conference and solidly in the field of 68. Finish 9-11 in conference and 19-12 they're still comfortably in. Drop 8/11 games they'll probably need to win a game in the BTT to be safe but still squarely on the bubble.

I think we hold serve at home and even if we lose our remaining away games (which is a real possibility given the nature of the B10 this year) we still end the year 20-11, 10-10 in conference and solidly in the field of 68. Finish 9-11 in conference and 19-12 they're still comfortably in. Drop 8/11 games they'll probably need to win a game in the BTT to be safe but still squarely on the bubble.
Win the BTT and leave nothing to chance. :cool:

Maybe you should when we forfeit another NIT game this year. Maybe you should form a cult of fellow Kool-Aid drinkers and really make the news, who knew IU had such a cult following in Jamestown?
Dumb.

This team isn't beating Illinois or Purdue away, unless they have injuries.

Best case scenario is beat PSU (we match up well), and win the remaining home games. That would make us 21-10.

I don't think this team or this coach have what it takes to do that. I think we'll be 19-12 or 20-11. We'll see.

I think you e laid out the thin margin for error quite well. Every road game is likely to be an adventure, so home wins are a must. A losing conference record isn’t fatal, but anything less than 9 wins makes them susceptible to having to win one or two in the BTT to assure a bid.

This team isn't beating Illinois or Purdue away, unless they have injuries.

Best case scenario is beat PSU (we match up well), and win the remaining home games. That would make us 21-10.

I don't think this team or this coach have what it takes to do that. I think we'll be 19-12 or 20-11. We'll see.

I think we have a better chance of beating Michigan on the road and/or Ohio State. Livers re-aggravated his groin Saturday and may be down for some time against Illinois and they have looked sub-par without him. Ohio State has looked downright awful since they're slide and struggled to put away Northwestern yesterday. I would say those are our best bets at an away win. Iowa at home is my biggest fear for a let down game as they shoot the 3 very well, but feel confident we beta them as they too have looked average away from Carver-Hawkeye.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT