ADVERTISEMENT

Can we start discussing positions........DT?

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
I'd like to start at DT because it seems a position of some concern, and I'm not sure who will even be playing there....

So in terms of guys likely to see time--

Jerome Johnson, Brandon Wilson, Juan Harris, correct?

Possibles: RFR Shamar Jones, FR Sio Nofoagatotoa, CJ Person, Jeremy Passmore, Antoine Whitner??........Whitner is huge and had a big offer list....Rivals listed him as DT, but his highlight film was at OG.....anybody know for sure where he's projected for us? Passmore is said to be a 'technique' guy...at 6'2" 250 lbs it wouldn't seem he could play as a true frosh.

Others: Michael Ziemba DE, but didn't he play some inside? Did Everett play some inside? Can he? Will Jonathan King move inside? Or Gavin McCabe or Trevor Reece? It just seems like we have a ****load of DEs.

LeShaun Minor is still on the roster....anyone have any idea of his current status?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'd like to start at DT because it seems a position of some concern, and I'm not sure who will even be playing there....

Possibles: RFR Shamar Jones, FR Sio Nofoagatotoa, CJ Person, Jeremy Passmore, Antoine Whitner??........Whitner is huge and had a big offer list....Rivals listed him as DT, but his highlight film was at OG.....anybody know for sure where he's projected for us? Passmore is said to be a 'technique' guy...at 6'2" 250 lbs it wouldn't seem he could play as a true frosh.

Others: Michael Ziemba DE, but didn't he play some inside? Did Everett play some inside? Can he? Will Jonathan King move inside? Or Gavin McCabe or Trevor Reece? It just seems like we have a ****load of DEs.

LeShaun Minor is still on the roster....anyone have any idea of his current status?

One other point on this....when Allen was asked about potential grad transfers this year he said they might look for an OL....didn't say anything about a DL (esp, DT).....so maybe he feels ok about the position?

King was 270 in August so he has to be going inside. We do have too many DE'S Passmore is 270 also now and will eventually move inside.

how about alfred bryant. and does robbins stay at DE or move inside?

The plan all along was to put weight on DEs with the right size and move them to DT getting players more agile and athletic to play DT. The N is far different and why Harris was such a big transfer get. IU will just be lacking some depth but not talent at the N and DT.

Heres where we sit i believe...King may move inside too.

JUNIOR
B. Wilson 6-3 / 255

SOPHOMORE
J. Johnson 6-3 / 295
L. Minor 6-3 / 300
C. Schneider 6-2 / 218

R. FRESHMAN
S. Jones 6-1 / 271

FRESHMAN
J. Harris 6-3 / 360
C. Person 6-2 / 295
J. Passmore 6-2 / 250
S. Nofoagatoto'a 6-2 321

Looks like some trues are in for some serious playing time

We need to rotate 6 IMO

Reactions: td75 and IUCX9

JUNIOR
B. Wilson 6-3 / 255

SOPHOMORE
J. Johnson 6-3 / 295
L. Minor 6-3 / 300
C. Schneider 6-2 / 218

R. FRESHMAN
S. Jones 6-1 / 271

FRESHMAN
J. Harris 6-3 / 360
C. Person 6-2 / 295
J. Passmore 6-2 / 250
S. Nofoagatoto'a 6-2 321

We need to rotate 6 IMO
Nice breakdown. Hopefully the freshmen come in and got their conditioning up.

It’s time for some guys along the DL to step up: Johnson, Bryant, Stallings, Harris, Wilson, Ziemba...it’s do or die time for those guys.

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13

JUNIOR
B. Wilson 6-3 / 255

SOPHOMORE
J. Johnson 6-3 / 295
L. Minor 6-3 / 300
C. Schneider 6-2 / 218

R. FRESHMAN
S. Jones 6-1 / 271

FRESHMAN
J. Harris 6-3 / 360
C. Person 6-2 / 295
J. Passmore 6-2 / 250
S. Nofoagatoto'a 6-2 321

We need to rotate 6 IMO
Looks like we need transfer help, maybe a couple of kids, other wise we're going to be extremely green, moreso than this year even. We sure could use Derrius Mullins right now, & Minor.

If Wilson, Johnson, Jones, King, and Harris are all looking good then I would hope that that's a strong foundation. Hopefully Minor is healthy and ready to play and maybe 1 of the other freshmen will earn some minutes.

There's two different positions for DTs at IU. The tradition Nose Guard and then the 3 technique. We have quite a few bodies for each position but many are very green in experience, though we certainly have an upgrade of talent.

Right now I think your projected starters are Harris at NG and Johnson at DT. Last season, Johnson had a monster season and I'm hopeful that will continue. The challenge for IU this spring and fall is to find capable. NGs. As I stated I feel the job is Harris's to loose, but both Sio and Pearson will push for time I'm sure. Wilson will likely still back up Johnson at the 3 technique.

So at NG: Harris, Sio, Pearson
DT: Johnson, Wilson, Jonathan King (bulked up from DE), Whitner (maybe a pass rush NG on passing downs), McCabe, and Jones (can be a pass rush NG in passing situations)

So lots of bodies.

Passmore will start at DE but bulk up like King did last season in his RS year. Ziembe was reportedly doing the same thing, but not sure his status.

Still lots of bodies!

There's two different positions for DTs at IU. The tradition Nose Guard and then the 3 technique. We have quite a few bodies for each position but many are very green in experience, though we certainly have an upgrade of talent.

Right now I think your projected starters are Harris at NG and Johnson at DT. Last season, Johnson had a monster season and I'm hopeful that will continue. The challenge for IU this spring and fall is to find capable. NGs. As I stated I feel the job is Harris's to loose, but both Sio and Pearson will push for time I'm sure. Wilson will likely still back up Johnson at the 3 technique.

DT: Johnson, Wilson, Jonathan King (bulked up from DE), Whitner (maybe a pass rush NG on passing downs), McCabe, and Jones (can be a pass rush NG in passing situations)

So lots of bodies.

Passmore will start at DE but bulk up like King did last season in his RS year. Ziembe was reportedly doing the same thing, but not sure his status.

Still lots of bodies!
My sense is we need one additional experienced body at the DT position that can play at the BIG level immediately. I'm not sure if that individual exist as a grad transfer. If so we should pursue hard.

My sense is we need one additional experienced body at the DT position that can play at the BIG level immediately. I'm not sure if that individual exist as a grad transfer. If so we should pursue hard.
I'm right there with you and Allen basically stated they will go through the spring and eval where they are at and decide what to do with the 3 open spots we have. My guess is we look pretty hard for a grad DT and OT.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

So lots of bodies.

Still lots of bodies!

Do you have info that Whitner will probably play DL rather than OL? Also, is there any word on Minor's status?

He is listed at 270 on his signing day profile.

Saw Passmore play against Deerfield in State Semis I don’t think he is 270. I thought he looked a little light to play inside.
Does play with his hands well and has a great motor. I do like him.

Does anyone know the story on Ja'Merez Bowen. He graduated after playing for 3 years, sitting out one and redshirting his frosh year. He shows up in 247's transfer portal list of DTs.

Does anyone know the story on Ja'Merez Bowen. He graduated after playing for 3 years, sitting out one and redshirting his frosh year. He shows up in 247's transfer portal list of DTs.
He has used-up his eligibility at Div-1 but can transfer down and play one more year.

Reactions: ak78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT