ADVERTISEMENT

Can we now fire the baseball version of Tom Crean?

I think everyone would have liked to see the baseball Hoosiers advance a few more games in the last few B1G tourneys but talk of canning Lemonis is crazy. Comparing him to Crean is insane.

Reactions: hobodandee
It's easy to second-guess a coach after the fact. It's baseball, and strategies/decisions don't always work out. I'm completely satisfied with Coach Lem, and think he will continue to have IU competing at a high level for years to come, unless one of the sunbelt or west coast schools come calling.

The ASU AD loves Tracy - rightfully so. He has good kids in his program - mainly the freshman and sophomores. He'll turn it around. When he took over, the kids were more interested in partying than anything else. Horrible culture.

Aside from Schwarber and co, he also had Phegley, Dickerson, etc.

He has the freshman of the year this year too.

I still don't think Smith gets fired. Nor CL.

Smith has completely changed the culture at ASU. Just needs some time to show up in Wins. Young squad.

Still scratching my head about this years IU team and the fall off. I think their ranking was a bit inflated early - they didn't really beat a lot of top teams early.

Last edited:
I still don't think Smith gets fired. Nor CL.

Smith has completely changed the culture at ASU. Just needs some time to show up in Wins. Young squad.

Still scratching my head about this years IU team and the fall off. I think their ranking was a bit inflated early - they didn't really beat a lot of top teams early.
Holy God what a stupid thread. We’re a 2 seed and yet the obsession continues with a guy who’s likely to get fired from a baseball powerhouse after missing the tourney 2 years in a row.

I like Smith, but he had two solid years at ASU and then had two awful years. What culture has changed?

Holy God what a stupid thread. We’re a 2 seed and yet the obsession continues with a guy who’s likely to get fired from a baseball powerhouse after missing the tourney 2 years in a row.

I like Smith, but he had two solid years at ASU and then had two awful years. What culture has changed?
The ASU AD has scheduled a press conference for tomorrow to discuss the future of their baseball program and Coach Smith, so it won't be long before we know which direction they are going to go.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...son-tracy-smith-sun-devil-baseball/649513002/

Reactions: RBB89
I like CL. I liked Smith too. I still don't think Smith will get fired. What culture has he changed? Like I wrote on the thread above, the team/culture was a team that cared more about getting hammered and partying than baseball. His last few classses and incoming class are baseball guys and more focused on baseball. The AD loves that about him. The wins haven't piled up yet, but he's moving things his way. If he get fired - I think it would be at the end of next season at the earliest.

I like CL. I liked Smith too. I still don't think Smith will get fired. What culture has he changed? Like I wrote on the thread above, the team/culture was a team that cared more about getting hammered and partying than baseball. His last few classses and incoming class are baseball guys and more focused on baseball. The AD loves that about him. The wins haven't piled up yet, but he's moving things his way. If he get fired - I think it would be at the end of next season at the earliest.
Yeah, I don't think he'll get fired also, but as you indicated, you can take it to the bank that they are going to want positive results starting with next season, and he will certainly not have much room for anthing but that.

From a long time ASU fan and alum - you want him Smith back? Led the program to the worst 2 seasons in program history, lost 18 out of 21 conference series, the first ever losing record at home, the longtime leader in west coast attendance has seen a precipitous dropoff...there are more stats but I'm too angry to keep going. I liked the hire when he got here but clearly it hasn't worked out here in Tempe, we'd be glad to ship him back to Bloomington in a heartbeat. Worst coach of a major sport in ASU history.

And you should see the mutiny taking place on social media out here. I've got friends who have been season ticket holders for decades not planning on renewing for next season. The expectations for ASU baseball are equal with what you guys expect for Indiana basketball and the program wasn't in bad shape when Smith got here, so for him to take the program and drive it into a ditch is just stunning.

And you should see the mutiny taking place on social media out here. I've got friends who have been season ticket holders for decades not planning on renewing for next season. The expectations for ASU baseball are equal with what you guys expect for Indiana basketball and the program wasn't in bad shape when Smith got here, so for him to take the program and drive it into a ditch is just stunning.
I looked at the poll they had going and it was around 70 pct that felt he should be fired, and that was close to an hour ago, so I don't know where it's at now. Coach Smith was a great coach for us and was the driving force behind the improvements around the program, so I'm puzzled why he has had problems with the ASU program. However, I don't really follow it except for seeing occasional scores.

I looked at the poll they had going and it was around 70 pct that felt he should be fired, and that was close to an hour ago, so I don't know where it's at now. Coach Smith was a great coach for us and was the driving force behind the improvements around the program, so I'm puzzled why he has had problems with the ASU program. However, I don't really follow it except for seeing occasional scores.
maybe...as a Midwest guy, maybe he's struggled to develop the recruiting relationships with West Coast high school coaches and travel programs.

While I'm sure ASU identifies a national program, the vast majority of the roster comes from AZ, CA, and maybe TX.

I know he's pulled some kids out of Chicagoland; maybe they aren't good enough

From a long time ASU fan and alum - you want him Smith back? Led the program to the worst 2 seasons in program history, lost 18 out of 21 conference series, the first ever losing record at home, the longtime leader in west coast attendance has seen a precipitous dropoff...there are more stats but I'm too angry to keep going. I liked the hire when he got here but clearly it hasn't worked out here in Tempe, we'd be glad to ship him back to Bloomington in a heartbeat. Worst coach of a major sport in ASU history.
as a longtime fan and alum, do you have any idea why he's struggled out there? any insight ? opinions? just curious. he was great here.

maybe...as a Midwest guy, maybe he's struggled to develop the recruiting relationships with West Coast high school coaches and travel programs.

While I'm sure ASU identifies a national program, the vast majority of the roster comes from AZ, CA, and maybe TX.

I know he's pulled some kids out of Chicagoland; maybe they aren't good enough
while he was here, didn't he recruit southern cal. well?

ADVERTISEMENT