ADVERTISEMENT

Can we land Romeo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That moment when you know that the guy knows how to read, knows he is wrong, but charges ahead like a bull after a red cape because he will never admit it.

And this inane thread will continue to grow and grow while having nothing to do with the initial reason it was started for. Tas has been more than clear about his point frederica, he does not hold Cal 100% accountable for the Camby situation because a coach cannot know what is going on at all times w.r.t. who players are talking to. He does hold UK, Memphis, and Cal accountable for the academic issues because they involve a player actually having to turn things into the school...documentation which makes claims of "I did not know" laughable.

Continue being an ass who cannot admit being wrong though.
Bulls are color blind. ;)

"BUT (listen closely now) if a kid is going to choose to go the college route to get to the pros, then they should be buying into the student portion of a student-athlete and doing the things necessary to prepare themselves to actually BE a student."

....and that's been the case at UK in the Cal era....with Daniel Orton being the lone exception. I gave you the year by year APR scores and you simply ignored them to stick to your narrative. They couldn't have attained those APR scores without being 'prepared to actually BE a student'.

So Eric Bledsoe was actually prepared to handle college curriculum? Same with Derrick Rose?

That moment when you know that the guy knows how to read, knows he is wrong, but charges ahead like a bull after a red cape because he will never admit it.

And this inane thread will continue to grow and grow while having nothing to do with the initial reason it was started for. Tas has been more than clear about his point frederica, he does not hold Cal 100% accountable for the Camby situation because a coach cannot know what is going on at all times w.r.t. who players are talking to. He does hold UK, Memphis, and Cal accountable for the academic issues because they involve a player actually having to turn things into the school...documentation which makes claims of "I did not know" laughable.

I'm not the guy who made the claims that this was all a Cal issue and then faded from it, but thanks for the insult.

...nothing was ever reported on their college grades (as far as Bledsoe goes, don't know about Rose)...Daniel Orton was the primary player faulted for UK's APR that year.
You still don't get it.

When Bledsoe made his OV to Kentucky, he would have been requird to provide a copy of his transcript.

A review of that transcript (remember, this was still before the changed grades and before the NCAA had made a ruling on his eligibility) would have shown the Algebra 3 class TAKEN BEFORE the Algebra 2 class, and Bledsoe getting an A after never having gotten better than a C in any math class prior to his senior year. As this article states, "
there is more than enough information in the story to make you believe that alarms should have been going off somewhere over on the Avenue of Champions. If you wanted to listen."

Whatever 'alarms' there may have been were silenced by the NCAA deeming the player eligible.
Of course.

UK only was interested in him being eligible to play. As long as they could hide behind the "NCAA cleared him" defense, everything is good-to-go, right?

You do understand that the NCAA eligibility center has 55 employees to approve 90,000 cases? They look primarily at two things - GPA and completion of core classes. They are counting on members to review HOW those grades/classes were earned.

UK should have raised red flags after looking at the transcript. That the didn't speaks volumes to how they value education for ALL student-athletes.

I would happen to think ALL universities have an 'interest' in the NCAA deeming their athletes eligible....

You really keep trying to paint a picture with a broad brush.... literally stuck on Bledsoe as your example to put ALL those players recruited by Cal/UK in a negative light. Using ONE player is a pretty weak sample size, but yet again....whatever fits your ongoing narrative that continues to ignore the FACTS (UK's APR scores in the Cal era)

You really keep trying to paint a picture with a broad brush.... literally stuck on Bledsoe as your example to put ALL those players recruited by Cal/UK in a negative light.

How Bledsoe's admission was handled is the issue here - especially in light of Rose's academic issues as well. Both occurred under your current coach.

UK reviewed Bledsoe's transcript, and IT DIDN'T BOTHER THEM that a guy who had never gotten better than a C in any math class prior to his senior year in high school was somehow able to get an A in Algebra 3 BEFORE taking Algebra 2. You're telling us that the normal review process for all students who apply to UK (which is what we've been told multiple times now how Bledsoe's admission was handled) does not question how a student could accomplish that?

UK admitted him for one reason - to play basketball. Otherwise, how could he have been truly prepared to handle college courses?

Duke has different admissions protocols for their athletes as well, yet I haven't heard you harping about that.... probably most universities do... yet you're just hung up on Bledsoe. Scholarship athletes aren't brought in to join the school's academic team....

Bledsoe's case has been by far, the exception, rather than the rule. The fact that there were no known academic issues of his when he attended college should carry some weight, but I'm sure you'll refute that as well. Daniel Orton was the only Cal recruit in his ENTIRE time to do poorly academically while Cal has been at UK. The APR score that year reflected that. (Taking a 'Zero' for the spring semester will do that) Bledsoe's grades at UK (the grades that UK/Cal/Coaching staff/NCAA could monitor while he was there) were never called into question.

Duke has different admissions protocols for their athletes as well, yet I haven't heard you harping about that.... probably most universities do... yet you're just hung up on Bledsoe. Scholarship athletes aren't brought in to join the school's academic team....

Bledsoe's case has been by far, the exception, rather than the rule. The fact that there were no known academic issues of his when he attended college should carry some weight, but I'm sure you'll refute that as well. Daniel Orton was the only Cal recruit in his ENTIRE time to do poorly academically while Cal has been at UK. The APR score that year reflected that. (Taking a 'Zero' for the spring semester will do that) Bledsoe's grades at UK (the grades that UK/Cal/Coaching staff/NCAA could monitor while he was there) were never called into question.
Duke isn't a serial cheater, UK is. You can choose to ignore that if you wish, but if you ask 350 fanbases who the biggest cheater is in NCAA basketball, it's UK and deservedly so. You have a program known for cheating, and built on cheating and named your arena after a cheater and racist. Excuse everyone for not having any respect for UK, but it just doesn't deserve any.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
yawwwwnnn....no trouble in almost 30 years. Meanwhile at Duke, the Maggette and Duhon fiascos take place, the NCAA just looks the other way.

Yup

Duke has different admissions protocols for their athletes as well, yet I haven't heard you harping about that....

Here is the Athletic Policy Manual for Duke University. Some interesting notes:

Top of pg 12 - "No student athlete shall be admitted to Duke unless he or she is able and willing to do the academic work required for graduation."

Pg 13, under section 2 - "Admission will be governed by the criteria of whether the applicant can and will do acceptable work at Duke."

and

"Coaches shall not submit the names of applicants unless they believe that the applicants can do acceptable work at Duke."

Now you know why Duke never offered Bledsoe. They care about academics.

They are not alone. Here is the Athletic Eligibility Manual for Indiana University.

Again, some interesting notes:

Top, pg 4 - "Any prospective freshmen student-athletes who are not admitted may be considered for faculty sponsorship"

Further down the page - "The following procedures should be followed to make sure that when sponsorship is required the process is effective, efficient, and consistent:

1. Available academic records of all PSAs should be reviewed and evaluated by the offices of academic services and/or eligibility, when possible, before the official visit or an NLI is issued.

2. These staff members should “red flag” the records of those PSAs for whom they have concerns about academic preparedness and potential, and they should share them with the appropriate sport administrator."

This is what we're talking about here, JC: other schools (like Duke and Indiana) that actually, truly care about academics have measures in place that when a transcript such as Bledsoe's is submitted, the "red flags" like Algebra 3 before Algebra 2 are identified and dealt with.

This is not just lip service, either. Indianapolis Broad Ripple's Ron Patterson was part of the incoming freshman class in 2012-13, but he had a poor academic record from high school, applied for and was granted a faculty sponsorship. Part of that process required Patterson to achieve a 2.0 GPA on the two courses he was enrolled in during summer classes; he got a C and a C-, which left him short of the threshold required. As noted in this article:

"Faculty sponsorship is a program that is available for not only student athletes but any student whose grades and test scores do not necessarily qualify them for “automatic” admission to Indiana, but that have good probabilities of being able to handle the necessary work . . . this is a screening process, however, for those students to determine whether they can actually handle the work. Simply put, Patterson did not pass this process."

This is how athletes with less-than-stellar academic records in high school are handled at Duke and at Indiana. So what is the process at Kentucky?

Here's is what they had to say concerning Bledsoe's admission process:

"Eric Bledsoe was part of our normal institutional process, the NCAA's normal eligibility cycle and a more extensive secondary review by the NCAA Eligibility Center, as well," he said in the statement. "We maintain our reliance on the high school, university and NCAA Eligibility Center for initial eligibility and will continue to do so."

"maintain our reliance"? Why does UK not have something in place to handle and screen questionalble applicants like Bledsoe? The next statement in the story is telling:

Barnhart also noted, "At no point was the University of Kentucky under investigation by the NCAA nor had any reason to believe we were ever under investigation."

Plausible deniability. That's all that matters to UK - not whether a kid was truly qualified or not to handle the work required. Which makes one really question just what requirements UK players truly have to meet - which is a shame, because I'm sure there are some of the kids that play for Cal that do a good job academically.

But UK fan - if they're honest (I know, a stretch) - has to realize and admit Kentucky's commitment to academics will be seriously questioned based on the way they handled the Bledsoe admission and the followup in the spring of 2010 - especially in light of the Rose situation that happened under the watch of the current UK coach.

Last edited:
I bet Cheaney can help CAM land him. The fact that Coach Cal praised CAM can't hurt.
I bet Cheaney can help CAM land him. The fact that Coach Cal praised CAM can't hurt.
Only two prior IU coaches could land this player from New Albany: Bobby Knight or Mike Davis.
Only two prior IU coaches would have chance in sigining Romeo: Bobby Knight or Mike Davis. Sampson Crean and Miller no way....

"Plausible deniability. That's all that matters to UK - not whether a kid was truly qualified or not to handle the work required. Which makes one really question just what requirements UK players truly have to meet - which is a shame, because I'm sure there are some of the kids that play for Cal that do a good job academically.

But UK fan - if they're honest (I know, a stretch) - has to realize and admit Kentucky's commitment to academics will be seriously questioned based on the way they handled the Bledsoe admission and the follow up in the spring of 2010 - especially in light of the Rose situation that happened under the watch of the current UK coach."

....and round and round we go.... You're not much of a 'big picture' guy are you? If the commitment to academics is so little at UK, how do you explain the APR scores that you continue to ignore? Or guys like Patterson, Knight, Poythress, Polson, Towns that were 4.0 students during their time at UK under Cal... ? Patterson and Poythress even graduated in only 3 years.

You keep wanting to hang the Bledsoe issue on UK, despite the fact that the NCAA deemed him eligible and the teachers/admins from his Alabama high school were later held accountable for his transcript and grade issues. The kid was never under any academic scrutiny as a college student..... the ONLY player to pull that nonsense was Daniel Orton. Cling to 'Plausible Deniability' all you want.... the fact remains, the players have been doing pretty well in the classroom under Cal... as shown in the annual APR scores. The players that don't have to opportunity to leave early and join their chosen profession....they're graduating. As Cal has often said (and did so in the 30 for 30 recently), UK players have a 'Lifetime Scholarship'....those who don't graduate can come back and finish their work on their degree in their chosen field of study. Tayshaun Prince, Gerald Fitch, Marquis Estill and Jodie Meeks are just a few examples of players that have done this.

At the end of the day, being good academically is all well and good, but it is an individual achievement for each player. I'm more concerned as to how the team performs in the area for which they were given a scholarship. After about a decade of Crean....one would think that would be the structure of IU fans' priorities as well.

You keep wanting to hang the Bledsoe issue on UK, despite the fact that the NCAA deemed him eligible and the teachers/admins from his Alabama high school were later held accountable for his transcript and grade issues. The kid was never under any academic scrutiny as a college student.

Yes, we know Bledsoe was not under any academic scrutiny - he played for UK. Who relies on someone else to determine a player's academic fitness.

You said Duke and others have different admission processes for it's players, and I showed you what those were. Places that intend for ALL of its students to actually be a functioning student have those kinds of policies. UK? Just gotta get him eligible, because "Scholarship athletes aren't brought in to join the school's academic team", right?

It's ok to admit you're a basketball factory with no true regard to academics. That's the way you roll down in the Bluegrass. Just don't be mad that the rest of the world sees your program for what it is.

At the end of the day, being good academically is all well and good, but it is an individual achievement for each player. I'm more concerned as to how the team performs in the area for which they were given a scholarship. After about a decade of Crean....one would think that would be the structure of IU fans' priorities as well.

Again, the rest of us understand this.

UK prostituted itself as a defacto NBA-development team to feel relevant in basketball again. It's like the girl who will sleep around with the football team and then brag to everyone else "see how much they like me?!?!" - when everyone else with a shred of self-respect sees how much of a skank she is. But if that's what you gotta do to feel good about yourself, go for it.

The OAD rule was put in place by the NBA. It's effect on college basketball isn't UK's fault. Being a great recruiter is the first part of being a great coach. Cal saw how this would play out in the college game, so getting top talent has been a priority ever since the OAD rule went into effect. He just also happens to be able to get these guys to buy in not only to their team, but to their academic responsibility for the year they're expected to be in school (As evidenced by the APR scores that you continue to ignore.)

If you want to keep getting 3-4 star players that'll more than likely be in school for 4 years, knock yourselves out.... just don't be surprised by the continued mediocrity that'll more than likely come with it.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey finally got around to watching One and Not Done over the weekend — he’s been busy investigating North Carolina for academic fraud — and he has one criticism of the film.

Speaking at an event on Monday, Sankey said he wished the film focused more on the academics around Kentucky men’s basketball and how many players who leave early eventually return to school to complete their degrees.

The full quote, courtesy of The Courier-Journal:

“I haven’t talked to Cal about it and (UK athletics director) Mitch Barnhart. I actually think the program missed what happens academically at Kentucky around men’s basketball,” Sankey said. “In fact, I know that’s the case. Stories of young men coming back after they’ve had that professional opportunity and continuing to return to receive their education, those are real. … They well support them academically, and they keep inviting them back to campus to continue to pursue their degree.”

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey finally got around to watching One and Not Done over the weekend — he’s been busy investigating North Carolina for academic fraud — and he has one criticism of the film.

Speaking at an event on Monday, Sankey said he wished the film focused more on the academics around Kentucky men’s basketball and how many players who leave early eventually return to school to complete their degrees.

The full quote, courtesy of The Courier-Journal:

“I haven’t talked to Cal about it and (UK athletics director) Mitch Barnhart. I actually think the program missed what happens academically at Kentucky around men’s basketball,” Sankey said. “In fact, I know that’s the case. Stories of young men coming back after they’ve had that professional opportunity and continuing to return to receive their education, those are real. … They well support them academically, and they keep inviting them back to campus to continue to pursue their degree.”

Really?

Let's here these stories. Who are the players from UK under Calipari that are "continuing to return to receive their education"? Please do tell . . .

The OAD rule was put in place by the NBA. It's effect on college basketball isn't UK's fault. Being a great recruiter is the first part of being a great coach. Cal saw how this would play out in the college game, so getting top talent has been a priority ever since the OAD rule went into effect. He just also happens to be able to get these guys to buy in not only to their team, but to their academic responsibility for the year they're expected to be in school (As evidenced by the APR scores that you continue to ignore.)

If you want to keep getting 3-4 star players that'll more than likely be in school for 4 years, knock yourselves out.... just don't be surprised by the continued mediocrity that'll more than likely come with it.

Really? The "...academic responsibility for the year they're expected to be in school".
That's the funniest thing anyone has said on this board in forever. Laughed so hard it hurt until the travesty of it all won through. UK wants to exploit the OAD rule, go for it, you have our blessings, but don't peddle it for what it is not and never will be, i.e., real higher education. Some of us went to college for 4+ years and the difference between earning a degree and coasting through 2+/- semesters of Afro-American, PhysEd and Art History classes is as vast as your state of denial. Surely exceptions to that but by and large the scholastics associated with UK's NBA mill and OAD players in general are a joke.

As for "mediocrity", I'll wager a grand to charity that IU bests UK next time they meet.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Really?

Let's here these stories. Who are the players from UK under Calipari that are "continuing to return to receive their education"? Please do tell . . .

Ok, I'll let you hear some....

Brandon Knight and Karl-Anthony Towns are 2 that immediately come to mind.
Additionally, Guys that played under Tubby/BCG that have done so are Kelenna Azubuike, Marquis Estill, and Jodie Meeks.

Players that earned degrees under Cal at UK:

Calipari Era Graduates
Twany Beckham
Josh Harrellson
Ramon Harris
Jon Hood
Mark Krebs
Tod Lanter
Brian Long
Sam Malone
Darius Miller
Patrick Patterson
Jarrod Polson
Alex Poythress
Perry Stevenson
Eloy Vargas

....Add Derrick Willis, Dominique Hawkins and Mychal Mulder to that list....

.....this might be insightful for you as well....

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2013/4/30...-calipari-touts-100-graduation-rate-correctly

Really? The "...academic responsibility for the year they're expected to be in school".
That's the funniest thing anyone has said on this board in forever. Laughed so hard it hurt until the travesty of it all won through. UK wants to exploit the OAD rule, go for it, you have our blessings, but don't peddle it for what it is not and never will be, i.e., real higher education. Some of us went to college for 4+ years and the difference between earning a degree and coasting through 2+/- semesters of Afro-American, PhysEd and Art History classes is as vast as your state of denial. Surely exceptions to that but by and large the scholastics associated with UK's NBA mill and OAD players in general are a joke.

As for "mediocrity", I'll wager a grand to charity that IU bests UK next time they meet.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2013/4/30...-calipari-touts-100-graduation-rate-correctly

How many of his NBA players from UK that he recruited to Lexington have a degree?

....when you have to keep splitting hairs, drilling down, dissecting away....you're trying too hard to prove a theory that's blurry at best. Apparently you missed the point of the article I linked.

And again... how can things be sooooo bad academically at UK under Cal when the APR scores have been consistently good??

....when you have to keep splitting hairs, drilling down, dissecting away....you're trying too hard to prove a theory that's blurry at best. Apparently you missed the point of the article I linked.

And again... how can things be sooooo bad academically at UK under Cal when the APR scores have been consistently good??
If you take classes just to stay eligible, it'd be easy to have a good APR.

.....such a cop out. Keep clinging to your theory, TD. Not sure if you can, but maybe you can find the listings of classes taken by every UK player in the Cal era. Doubt that it's public info, but here's an article that talks about the major courses of studies by athletes at UK:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-football/article44530335.html
If everyone else is afraid to say something it is time to stop this troll because nobody here cares about this crap.

Reactions: ams66
.....such a cop out. Keep clinging to your theory, TD. Not sure if you can, but maybe you can find the listings of classes taken by every UK player in the Cal era. Doubt that it's public info, but here's an article that talks about the major courses of studies by athletes at UK:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-football/article44530335.html
Again, if prostituting yourself as a NBA developmental team makes you feel good about yourself, go for it.

Ok, I'll let you hear some....

Brandon Knight and Karl-Anthony Towns are 2 that immediately come to mind.
Additionally, Guys that played under Tubby/BCG that have done so are Kelenna Azubuike, Marquis Estill, and Jodie Meeks.

Players that earned degrees under Cal at UK:

Calipari Era Graduates
Twany Beckham
Josh Harrellson
Ramon Harris
Jon Hood
Mark Krebs
Tod Lanter
Brian Long
Sam Malone
Darius Miller
Patrick Patterson
Jarrod Polson
Alex Poythress
Perry Stevenson
Eloy Vargas

....Add Derrick Willis, Dominique Hawkins and Mychal Mulder to that list....

.....this might be insightful for you as well....

HOW MANY OADs ON THAT LIST?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT