ADVERTISEMENT

Can they get 6?

It is not a quarterback throwing two deep incompletions is the biggest factor in loosening up the secondary... the biggest factor would be wide receivers running by the secondary. Also I don’t believe anyone would play their safeties closer than 12 yards against anyone. Finally depth of secondary does not determine what stunts your fronts will run.
I have only watched highlights. What I did notice that Penn State did roll the strong safety down a bunch and played a lot of cover. 3 or 3 deep.

I don't think 18 INTs in 20 games is an excessive amount, considering he came in as the starter his redshirt freshman year. That first year was a real learning experience and would be for anyone.

I'm certainly not going to be upset no matter who the QB starts out to be, if the team is winning. And we never know until the season how it's going to turn out. Ramsey is solid. Not spectacular, but solid. I think with a different play-caller, we could see a big improvement this year.
What? Ramsey was worse last year than his freshman year in terms of INT rate. He finished tied for 6th in the nation in INT's overall last season.

Again, I like Ramsey, but I don't think he can make the plays necessary to win because of his lack of arm talent.

What? Ramsey was worse last year than his freshman year in terms of INT rate. He finished tied for 6th in the nation in INT's overall last season.

Again, I like Ramsey, but I don't think he can make the plays necessary to win because of his lack of arm talent.

Yeah, tied for the year with Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Miami, and Northwestern.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/interceptions-thrown-per-game

INTs are not much of an issue for him.

Yeah, tied for the year with Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Miami, and Northwestern.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/interceptions-thrown-per-game

INTs are not much of an issue for him.
Is this a serious statement? All those teams STRUGGLED with QB play all season but Ramsey's INT's "aren't much of an issue for him"?

If Ramsey was completing deep balls, had no running game and was under siege in every game, I could sort see that amount of TO's as him trying to make plays, but we were one of the least explosive offenses in CFB and Ramsey avg. just 6.4 y/a. He wasn't taking shots AT ALL. Was some of that DeBord knowing how limited he was with Ramsey's lack of arm strength? Perhaps, but they also had a decent OL and a stud at RB. He needed to be better for IU to win games.

Is this a serious statement? All those teams STRUGGLED with QB play all season but Ramsey's INT's "aren't much of an issue for him"?

If Ramsey was completing deep balls, had no running game and was under siege in every game, I could sort see that amount of TO's as him trying to make plays, but we were one of the least explosive offenses in CFB and Ramsey avg. just 6.4 y/a. He wasn't taking shots AT ALL. Was some of that DeBord knowing how limited he was with Ramsey's lack of arm strength? Perhaps, but they also had a decent OL and a stud at RB. He needed to be better for IU to win games.
Uh, I'm sorry - did they have winning records or not?

Your "tied with 6th" statement is disingenuous. That's why you didn't post a link. There are many teams "tied for 6th", including the ones I mentioned.

You keep wanting to make this an argument about Ramsey as QB. It's not. You came up with the INT number as a mark against him. It's not - he has weaknesses, but INTs aren't a big problem. Purdue had 1 less INT - they still won.

Your "tied with 6th" statement is disingenuous. That's why you didn't post a link. There are many teams "tied for 6th", including the ones I mentioned.

You keep wanting to make this an argument about Ramsey as QB. It's not. You came up with the INT number as a mark against him. It's not - he has weaknesses, but INTs aren't a big problem. Purdue had 1 less INT - they still won.

How is throwing 13 INT's (in 12 games) and being tied for 6th most in the nation while only completing 6.4 y/a "disingenuous"? Please explain. Here's the link: http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/interceptions

Purdue had a MUCH more explosive offense. Blough threw 10 INT's (in 13 games), but 25 TD's and was much more efficient (8.0 y/a). He also threw for 45 yards more per game than Ramsey.

I think we both want a winning IU football team, I just think that Ramsey hasn't shown me that he can do it. I'd rather the guys with the better arm talent. Let's hope they beat out Ramsey.

We've all seen what Ramsey can do and he was a very lightly recruited prospect out of HS. He has known limitations and doesn't protect the football at a high enough level. Both Penix and Tuttle were much higher rated and have much stronger arms. Their offer lists were flat out impressive. If Ramsey is our QB then I will have to lower my expectations for the upcoming season. I do not think he's a B1G caliber starter. Penix and Tuttle are the future of this program and I hope that the future starts this season.

Last edited:

What? Of the well over 100 starting QB's in Division 1 last year, Ramsey only threw less Interceptions than 5 of them. That's bad. Add in the 6.4 yards per attempt and I do not see a guy that's going to take us bowling. Penix and Tuttle have much higher ceilings and much stronger arms. I sincerely hope that one of them wins the job.

What? Of the well over 100 starting QB's in Division 1 last year, Ramsey only threw less Interceptions than 5 of them. That's bad. Add in the 6.4 yards per attempt and I do not see a guy that's going to take us bowling. Penix and Tuttle have much higher ceilings and much stronger arms. I sincerely hope that one of them wins the job.

Not saying Ramsey should be the starter but I can remember several int's where it was 4th down late in the game and he just had to let it go. I also remember a few wtf Int's in games we might have won. As far as Ramsey starting the Int's don't bother me as much as the fact that he is just limited. He has to run to make up for his lack of arm strength and the beating he takes just makes it worse.

We've all seen what Ramsey can do and he was a very lightly recruited prospect out of HS. He has known limitations and doesn't protect the football at a high enough level. Both Penix and Tuttle were much higher rated and have much stronger arms. Their offer lists were flat out impressive. If Ramsey is our QB then I will have to lower my expectations for the upcoming season. I do not think he's a B1G caliber starter. Penix and Tuttle are the future of this program and I hope that the future starts this season.
Tuttle had no game experience last year, as listed on the official site. Why are you so optimistic?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don’t want to speak for Redbeard but he was an Elite 11 finalist. Which presumes he was one of the top 11 high school quarterbacks in the country.
Thanks for pointing that out. The official site mentioned that but didn't explain. In any event, let's hope that the potential shown in his high school background ripens into college success.

Tuttle had no game experience last year, as listed on the official site. Why are you so optimistic?

As Palm pointed out, he was an Elite 11 selection as a senior in HS. He also played HS ball in San Diego in the top class against some very high level competition. I agree that he's green and hasn't played much, but he was ranked about 2,000 spots higher than Ramsey was coming out of HS for a reason. He had offers from everybody. Ramsey had a total of 4 P5 offers coming out of HS. Tuttle is starting out with a much better skill set as a freshman than Ramsey possessed. Hopefully he can turn that potential into future success.

Alabama, Notre Dame and other college fans are discussing an undefeated season and we're hoping for a 500 year.....sad. As fans we've fallen so far we accept less than a positive season.

So you're saying we lose the bowl game? :)

I'm stoked about the football program. Yes, we had some things fall into place we didn't expect with NU and NW being down as far as they were, but we also took a bunch of hits ourselves. We still pulled through and took care of business. In years past we would have blown a game or more and would have lost the dogfight with PU. I think we've truly turned the corner. Time will tell.

Kind of didn't age well for me. Ramsey won a couple games on the road that I honestly didn't think he could based on how MD and Nebraska were perceived preseason, but still got man handled by OSU and Michigan. Kudos to him there. That said, Ramsey keeps getting better and better with his decision making and I'll definitely eat crow there...

Edit: I also have to say how awful DeBord was with similar talent to DeBoer. DeBoer was just brilliant all year.

Last edited:
We could always tell that he was not an IU fan, and that has been proven by his silence when we started winning. He never had anything good to say.

Reactions: IU73
First i want to say that I am ALL in on the direction CTA has the program going.
Looking at the schedule I am just having a hard time seeing 6 wins.

Obviously I think they can and should (must) win the 3 non-conference.

I see Rutgers at home but after that it gets pretty dicey.

Maybe
at Maryland and pukes.
Northwestern at home?
Not sure of any others.
I want them to get to a bowl so bad. The timing could not be anymore critical. Extra practices and continued recruiting momentum.

A QB can be huge difference. Penix to me may have the tools to beat any of the big boys, and for sure the next tier level. And add in DeBoer who could be fantastic per his track record. DBs May have more picks this year. DE’s more sacks.

Also throw in two bye weeks which helps.

Then the mojo of “names on the jerseys again!” And I see 7-5!

Well looking back: I was right on Penix (for while he played), Extremely right on DeBoer, DB's? For sure Mullen and others good but not as many picks. And think we had decent sacks/hurries.

I love being wrong on 7-5 being 8-4! I had the faith and still do!!!

Kind of didn't age well for me. Ramsey won a couple games on the road that I honestly didn't think he could based on how MD and Nebraska were perceived preseason, but still got man handled by OSU and Michigan. Kudos to him there. That said, Ramsey keeps getting better and better with his decision making and I'll definitely eat crow there...

Edit: I also have to say how awful DeBord was with similar talent to DeBoer. DeBoer was just brilliant all year.
So wrong on Deboard. He had similar talent with a year more experience across the board.

So wrong on Deboard. He had similar talent with a year more experience across the board.
One other thing is coach DeBoer is a much better QB teacher than Sheridan with the improvements in Ramsey and Ramsey said DeBoer makes the reads simpler and easier to go through.

It is easy to say that but you have no way to know for sure.
That goes the other way as well. You speak with so much confidence that Debord wasn't the problem and yet we won several 1 score games that we lost by one score the last 2 years. The difference was we scored in the redzone. You say it was simply that the players were better. What player or players were significantly better than last year?

One other thing is coach DeBoer is a much better QB teacher than Sheridan with the improvements in Ramsey and Ramsey said DeBoer makes the reads simpler and easier to go through.

That goes the other way as well. You speak with so much confidence that Debord wasn't the problem and yet we won several 1 score games that we lost by one score the last 2 years. The difference was we scored in the redzone. You say it was simply that the players were better. What player or players were significantly better than last year?
Whop Philyor played more was not injured such as he was the last 2 years for 1. Peyton Hendershot another. As far as your statement about winning more one score games we lost also has to do with defense stepping up and making stops in key situations which has not been done in the past. I never once said that the offense would have been better with Deboard I simply said that coach DeBoer had the luxury of having 2 senior wideouts. A sophomore running back a sophomore tightend . A healthy for the most part Whop Philyor. A more experienced Peyton Ramsey and even Mike Penix. Who knows how this offense would have performed under Deboard and that is my point. As I have said several times that I am a huge supporter of CKD. He was one three people who I thought would do a great job along with Rod Smith currently at Illinois from Arizona and Mike Yurcich previously from Oklahoma State now Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT