ADVERTISEMENT

Can they get 6?

still4IU

Freshman
Sep 7, 2001
First i want to say that I am ALL in on the direction CTA has the program going.
Looking at the schedule I am just having a hard time seeing 6 wins.

Obviously I think they can and should (must) win the 3 non-conference.

I see Rutgers at home but after that it gets pretty dicey.

Maybe
at Maryland and pukes.
Northwestern at home?
Not sure of any others.
I want them to get to a bowl so bad. The timing could not be anymore critical. Extra practices and continued recruiting momentum.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Man, I studied that schedule over and over. I see,,,if we play well every game...5 pretty sure wins. Not easy but wins. That 6th one will have to come as an upset as we should be underdogs to the remains powers we must play. Looking at the past teams we've beaten...there is a chance for 6...but it will not come easy...unless the Football Gods are tired of screwing with us...vbg

First i want to say that I am ALL in on the direction CTA has the program going.

Maybe
at Maryland and pukes.
Northwestern at home?
Not sure of any others.
I want them to get to a bowl so bad. The timing could not be anymore critical. Extra practices and continued recruiting momentum.
I doubt it, I mean yes we CAN, but I'm not expecting it. The schedule is just too tough. Northwestern is going to be a tough ask, at Maryland maybe, but that's only 5 wins, & let's face it, at Purdon't is going to be an uphill battle, whether we want to admit it or not. We'll need to knock off one of the big boys, imo. & it goes without saying we must go 3-0 in the non con, which I totally expect we will, but if for some reason we don't.....yikes. Again though, the 2020 schedule sets up nicely, I only hope we can all be patient enough to let CTA continue doing his thing until then. I'd hate for the administration to get antsy, & start talking crazy if we don't win 6, this schedule is ROUGH. We could improve significantly & still go 5-7.

Lots of you guys popping that 2020 season up as the break out, better look at our oline!! This is the year to break out because we have the oline to do so this year. That oline next year will be GREEN!!! No way we break out with a bunch of sophomores on the oline.

Maybe
at Maryland and pukes.
Northwestern at home?
Not sure of any others.

Let me go on record and say that it is crucial that we get bowl eligible this season. Our program can't afford a just miss 5-7 season or worse yet a set back 4 or less win season. Fear that all the momentum CTA and staff have built through recruiting, staff and facility improvements could be stymied. CTA and staff have proven given their record they can recruit above their weight class. Now they need to prove it on the field. I feel that CTA stepping back from the defense and becoming a full time head coach is a big plus for our program.
With that said I believe in CTA and the direction the program is headed. I believe we can get to six wins this season. And yes we will need three wins within our division in order to realistically make that happen. Which means we need to knock off at least one of the more dominant programs MSU, Mich, OSU or PSU in our division. Not to much to ask if we are to be viewed as a year in year out competitive BIG football program. Let's make it happen. #LEO

A QB can be huge difference. Penix to me may have the tools to beat any of the big boys, and for sure the next tier level. And add in DeBoer who could be fantastic per his track record. DBs May have more picks this year. DE’s more sacks.

Also throw in two bye weeks which helps.

Then the mojo of “names on the jerseys again!” And I see 7-5!

Let be honest about Penix...he looks pretty good but way way off a world-beater. Why?...it is obvious if that kid doesn't put on 25 pounds asap, the B10 will kill him. He looks like a wideout to me. Fast...good hands. As a passer, we didn't see much, but enough to say okay but he has to work on his accuracy and power control. We know little to nothing about his decision making so we will see, but to sit here and claim he is the one...I doubt lt very much more now with the depth and experience around him. Add in his injury and I just can't buy his ascendency as assured.

My firm belief is that Ramsey will get the start. It will be up to him to keep it...imo.

Not only will we win more than 6, we will beat 1 or 2 of the big boys and beat Purdue. This is the biggest, fastest, and deepest Indiana Football team that I have ever seen.

What you guys are struggling to see when looking at the games against the good Big Ten teams, is that we aren’t fighting the talent curve anymore.

Not only will we win more than 6, we will beat 1 or 2 of the big boys and beat Purdue. This is the biggest, fastest, and deepest Indiana Football team that I have ever seen.

What you guys are struggling to see when looking at the games against the good Big Ten teams, is that we aren’t fighting the talent curve anymore.
Nothing personal but...that is sort of a silly comment. We ain't close yet...but we are better. There is talent. Oh, those with rose-colored glasses...bless them and curse them...vbg.

To win 6 games or more our offense needs to improve how many points they score in games and how much the defense improves along with the STs. Then it only takes beating one of the "big" teams we have been close to beating the last several years.

For what it is worth, the ESPN game prediction indicators are posted for this year and has IU favored against Rutgers, Maryland, NW and PU as well as the 3 non-conference games. NW is a must win. While they can play well in the last 3 years they have lost to Duke (twice), Akron, Western Mich, Ill St and Minn. They recruiting over the last 3 years is fairly on par with IU and the Hoosiers play them at home.

Lots of you guys popping that 2020 season up as the break out, better look at our oline!! This is the year to break out because we have the oline to do so this year. That oline next year will be GREEN!!! No way we break out with a bunch of sophomores on the oline.
Idk about breaking out, but I think we'll win 6 in 2020, & it's because of the schedule, more than anything. Not because we'll be better.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Penix was a legit 4* stud QB from FL that chose IU over FSU. Tuttle was an even higher ranked 4* stud QB out of CA who we lucked into due to his family connections. I like Ramsey and he’s a coach's kid with a very high football IQ. However, he was a 3* and IU was one of only 4 total power 5 offers. Wake Forest, Boston College, and Illinois being the other 3.

Stars and rankings don’t mean everything, but he’s had 16 games as a starter and only averages 6.4 yards/completion. That’s poor. From the small sampling that we’ve seen in games from Penix you can quickly tell that he’s got a much stronger arm and is a more explosive athlete. Tuttle I’ve only seen play in highlights from HS and a few reps from spring ball. Again you can easily see he has a much stronger arm than Ramsey and he looks to be a better athlete as well. He was ranked #167 overall coming out of HS.

If IU is going to get to where we all want them to be, then either one of the two youngsters needs to be the QB, or Ramsey needs to have improved by leaps and bounds. We’re going to have a senior dominated Oline and we have a stable of thoroughbreds at RB. Our WR’s and TE’s groups contain playmakers that are also upperclassmen. Getting top notch QB play this season will be the difference between 5-7 and 7-5. I’ll be very shocked if Ramsey can get this team to 7-5. While Penix and Tuttle are unknowns still, we know what we’ll be getting with Ramsey. The future lies with the two freshmen and I hope that Allen and Deboer hand the reins over to one of them starting against Ball St.

The future lies with the two freshmen and I hope that Allen and Deboer hand the reins over to one of them starting against Ball St.
If I'm Allen/DeBoer, I'm starting Ramsey against BSU, letting everyone get settled in, and then handing it over to Penix in the second quarter. Either Ramsey will have us off to a good start and Penix can step in and open things up, or Penix will be needed to shake things up and get us rolling.

Of all our QB's...Penix will not be the one to take his job. Ramsey will surprise everyone, as he always does. Experience beats the maybe guys...unless you have a super talent...which we dont...yet.

My money is on Ramsey the whole season, with all the QB's getting a look. He is the kind of player that doesn't get the respect he deserves but will earn it despite the naysayers...

7 wins ... 8 with bowl game ... maybe more.

I think CTA uses the remarks after the Michigan game last year (of IU being overly physical) as bulletin board material and we shock the world. That game was winnable last year, this year we have an OC who will make the difference.

Mark my words, the IU oline will be ready for the Michigan game.

7 wins ... 8 with bowl game ... maybe more.

I think CTA uses the remarks after the Michigan game last year (of IU being overly physical) as bulletin board material and we shock the world. That game was winnable last year, this year we have an OC who will make the difference.

Mark my words, the IU oline will be ready for the Michigan game.

YYYYEEEEEESSSSS SSSIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRR!!!!!!!

This is EXACTLY the mindset we need to have (as a program, not just internet fans)!!!! I've been waiting for someone to have the stones to write such things!!!

I don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of the "we're not talented enough, not deep enough, just wait til next year" bull honky tonk.

I want Tom Allen to declare 8, 9, 10 wins preseason and put the B1G on notice. Then come out and stick everyone in the mouth and follow it up with a steel toed boot between the legs. He needs to coach fast and loose and go for the jugular, expecting to win every-single-game. I want to see that from him and this program. Even if he fails, I'll enjoy listening to Harbaugh b!tch and complain about the big bad Hoosiers being too mean and tough and that he needed to take his players to their air-conditioned happy place because his players were spiritually and emotionally damaged by the end.

OK. I'm done now. Thanks.

1. If you dont think penix has the talent to to beat out experience please go back and watch the PSU game. He looked good. He would have had a lot better stats but he had 4 or 5 dropped passes.
2. Fun fact. The last 2 times michigan has come to bloomington it has gone to overtime. Not only that but it will most certainly be a trap game this year for michigan as it comes after MSU but before OSU. I am feeling upset in that game.
3. Purdue has good skill guys but lost a lot on the o line and I'm not sold on their qb. They are in the bottom half for returning production and will have a lot of young guys playing. I personal believe purdue is overhyped this year and makes 6-6 simply because they dont play OSU MSU or michigan. I think we beat them as well.
4. All of that being said I have 7-5. All non con wins then wins against rutgers maryland michigan and purdue. We have the players to do it and I personally think we have the OC to do it all is left is to do it.

Ramsey had as many drops...come on people...Penix has serious issues in size and delivery. In two years he might start...if he isnt beaten out by our new transfer and new talent. Looks like a wideout to me. He will not play QB in the NFL imo...too small...wideout.

Idk what you are smoking man but penix looks great. He stands in the pocket and deliveries the ball on a frozen rope. He doesnt look nervous in the pocket (like ramsey does). He does look a little skinny but I'm not really worried about that. Hes fast and scrambles well but also can stand in the pocket like a pro style QB. Tuttle might be even better than him but I haven't seen him play.
I like Ramsey and the guy is a big competitor but he isnt nearly as talented as the other two and honestly looks very anxious in the pocket and his passes sometimes look very slow.
That being said I expect ramsey to be starter at ball state because of experience but I dont think he holds onto it.

Of all our QB's...Penix will not be the one to take his job. Ramsey will surprise everyone, as he always does. Experience beats the maybe guys...unless you have a super talent...which we dont...yet.

My money is on Ramsey the whole season, with all the QB's getting a look. He is the kind of player that doesn't get the respect he deserves but will earn it despite the naysayers...

Surprise?? What's he going to surprise us with??? Will he throw for more than 6.4 yards per completion? After 16 games as a starter it would be waaaaay more than a "surprise" if he was able to throw the ball down the field for large gains effectively. He's shown us over 16 games as a starter that he cannot do that. He's got a noodle arm compared to high level power 5 QB's. Both Penix and Tuttle have superior arm strength and both will be eligible for 4 years starting this fall. Ramsey only has two years left and he's got so much less upside than the 2 freshman. Why would you want to go all in on him? I really see no reason to give him a single snap at QB as long as Penix and Tuttle are healthy. They're the future of the program.

Ramsey had as many drops...come on people...Penix has serious issues in size and delivery. In two years he might start...if he isnt beaten out by our new transfer and new talent. Looks like a wideout to me. He will not play QB in the NFL imo...too small...wideout.

Ramsey will NEVER even sniff the NFL. WTF are you trying to say with this post?? Penix and Tuttle have elite talent. Ramsey simply does not. At all. Ramsey has weak arm strength. Both Penix and Tuttle have way better arm strength than Ramsey.

For what it is worth, the ESPN game prediction indicators are posted for this year and has IU favored against Rutgers, Maryland, NW and PU as well as the 3 non-conference games. NW is a must win. While they can play well in the last 3 years they have lost to Duke (twice), Akron, Western Mich, Ill St and Minn. They recruiting over the last 3 years is fairly on par with IU and the Hoosiers play them at home.

IU favored AT Purdue? Lol.

Reactions: mrhighlife
Surprise?? What's he going to surprise us with??? Will he throw for more than 6.4 yards per completion? After 16 games as a starter it would be waaaaay more than a "surprise" if he was able to throw the ball down the field for large gains effectively. He's shown us over 16 games as a starter that he cannot do that. He's got a noodle arm compared to high level power 5 QB's. Both Penix and Tuttle have superior arm strength and both will be eligible for 4 years starting this fall. Ramsey only has two years left and he's got so much less upside than the 2 freshman. Why would you want to go all in on him? I really see no reason to give him a single snap at QB as long as Penix and Tuttle are healthy. They're the future of the program.
I think Ramsey will start Game 1, and serve as a very reliable backup for Game 12.

You can never have too much QB talent, and I'm glad we've got all three of these guys.

Maybe
at Maryland and pukes.
Northwestern at home?
Not sure of any others.

This is exactly what concerns me most about the 2019 season. This team could be better in all phases and still only win 4-5 games.

The three non-conference games and Rutgers are all pretty much must-win games if they want to get to bowl eligibility.

I don't think you can assume any wins out of the OSU/MSU/PSU/Michigan meat grinder. As the ESPN preview article published last week noted, the four may be as vulnerable as they've ever been and they're all still top 15 teams. Getting one of these four in the win column would be huge. A home win over OSU or Michigan is tear-down-the-goalpost-worthy.

The squad likely needs to go 2-2 in the four games made up of the home shot at Northwestern and the road trips to Maryland, Nebraska, and Purdue. I'm not sure IU would be favored in any matchup assuming no major injuries or other upheavals on the opponent side. Northwestern has a knack for playing just well enough to win wherever they go. Nebraska was voted favorite to win the West this year. Brohm lost a bit of talent, but as long as Moore is on the field they have a shot of beating whomever they're playing. Maryland hit the reset button hard after last season and may need a year to get on their feet. We're likely their homecoming opponent and their best shot at a home win in the B10 this year (other home opponents are PSU, Michigan, and Nebraska). I'm sure we'll get their best punch.

The silver lining is this assumption is based on the team performing at the same or slightly better level as the last couple seasons. If the talent infusion starts to truly emerge along with better coaching, 6-8 wins seems reachable.

I think that it is very likely that when we look back after the season, the schedule likely won't look quite as daunting as it does now. I think that history will show that several of the teams we play will fail to live up to expectations. If IU ends up 5-7, IU will likely have lost to 1 or 2 teams sitting at 6-6 or worse, and another team with just 7 wins. But if IU does indeed take a step forward, the opportunities for wins will be there.

Not trying to say that other teams to need play poorly for IU to win - of course IU needs get wins against good teams, at least occasionally. However, IU's problems historically are only in very small part due failure to beat good teams having good years. IU's main issue has always been about blowing games against bad teams, not getting it done against mediocre teams, and/or not taking advantage of good teams when they have off years. In each of the last 4 seasons, IU has lost 2 games against teams that didn't make a bowl, or squeaked into a bowl at 6-6.

Yes, just beat one of the following every year, OSU, MSU, UM or PSU. Miss and Miss State have the same problems we do. Arguably harder with Bama, Auburn, LSU and A&M. Want to change the physic of this team. 6 pathetic wins and a crap bowl game won't do it. Just beat someone. Don't play to be in the game in the 4th quarter. Play to win.

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
Yes, just beat one of the following every year, OSU, MSU, UM or PSU. Miss and Miss State have the same problems we do. Arguably harder with Bama, Auburn, LSU and A&M. Want to change the physic of this team. 6 pathetic wins and a crap bowl game won't do it. Just beat someone. Don't play to be in the game in the 4th quarter. Play to win.

Amen! I don't care what the Past has been, "Your past doesn't have to equal your future" and once you beat one of the big four, the current day psychological barrier will be lifted! IU has the facilities and S/C staff to compete now with anyone. Think much of the talent level is closer than it's ever been, certainly in some select positions (RB, DB, possibly QB we may see this year). Coaching staff pretty solid and stable now, not losing 3-4 a year.

Don't worry (or whine) about things you can't control. Throw your bag over the wall and figure out how you're going to go over and get it! This could be a great year and 7-5 would be a start of changing the culture with more success (expected now), a better bowl game later in the year and keeping up the improving recruiting trends.

While this past year’s class may be the best in recent memory it still is ranked in the bottom half of the Big 10. It’s a tough conference and a tougher division. If the Hoosiers go to a bowl game it is going to be because they overachieved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier

Maybe
at Maryland and pukes.
Northwestern at home?
Not sure of any others.
Agree we must win all three non con games. Also Rutgers and Maryland. (More likely may be 4-1 and awful would be 3-2).
NW is possible, I even hope we could beat OSU as it is the second game and their QB may not have settled in yet (ok, again less likely). PU at Ross Ade to get our sixth may be what we see.

With a new OC and the chance of a more talented QB running the team and IU could pull off several games people don't think they will. With a more talented QB and a OC with experience turning around offense, IU could surprise people this year. We have talent on offense and our defense is very talented with experience this year. I am leaning more and more to a potential 9 win or better season. I will be happy if they get a winning season but we might as well get a few more games in the win column.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT