ADVERTISEMENT

Can they get 6?

With a new OC and the chance of a more talented QB running the team and IU could pull off several games people don't think they will. With a more talented QB and a OC with experience turning around offense, IU could surprise people this year. We have talent on offense and our defense is very talented with experience this year. I am leaning more and more to a potential 9 win or better season. I will be happy if they get a winning season but we might as well get a few more games in the win column.
I love your optimism but going from 2-7 to 6-3 in Big Ten play is not realistic, particularly with two new coordinators and coming off a season where our defense often played poorly.

IU hasn't had a 9 win season (or a 6 conference wins season) in 52 years. I'm looking for the Hoosiers to make a bowl game, not history.

Reactions: IUCol
"More talented QB"...oh boy...I hope Ramsey makes all you doubters eat those words...

Reactions: DANC
I love your optimism but going from 2-7 to 6-3 in Big Ten play is not realistic, particularly with two new coordinators and coming off a season where our defense often played poorly.

IU hasn't had a 9 win season (or a 6 conference wins season) in 52 years. I'm looking for the Hoosiers to make a bowl game, not history.
Sometimes people, particularly younger people, seem to think that history does not matter...when in fact it is the primary thing that matters. Overcoming your past is the hardest thing you will ever do as a person or a team.

But it can be done...for IU, imo, it won't happen overnight. It's the long haul that matters.

Reactions: vesuvius13
"More talented QB"...oh boy...I hope Ramsey makes all you doubters eat those words...
I just have a feeling Ramsey is going to come in and be a complete player this year. If his receiving corps stays healthy, he's going to be a lot more effective with the RBs we have.

He may not be Joe Namath, but I'll bet he's going to be pretty damn hard to beat out of the starting spot. I'd really like to see IU get out to a big lead these first couple games and bring in the other guys for a few series to get them ready.

Of course, I've also felt that way before the season before and then we struggle against the weak teams. It's time to step on some of these teams.

Don't forget IU won 9 games in 1967 after winning just 1 game in 1966. If I were betting on this season I would wager on 7 wins but if IU is good enough for 7 they could win several others and have a very special season. Past disappointments don't determine future performance. OSU has a new HC and new QB that was a transfer who couldn't win the starting job at Georgia, they lost 4 OL men, and their defense last year wasn't good so they have a new DC. PSU has a new QB after a 9 win season where IU took them to the limit. It will be tough to beat PSU at their stadium but talent wise IU matches up with them; could this be the year to knock them off. MSU is beatable and IU had played them tough for years. The team will have to prove to me they can win these games but I don't doubt they are capable.

Don't forget IU won 9 games in 1967 after winning just 1 game in 1966. If I were betting on this season I would wager on 7 wins but if IU is good enough for 7 they could win several others and have a very special season. Past disappointments don't determine future performance. OSU has a new HC and new QB that was a transfer who couldn't win the starting job at Georgia, they lost 4 OL men, and their defense last year wasn't good so they have a new DC. PSU has a new QB after a 9 win season where IU took them to the limit. It will be tough to beat PSU at their stadium but talent wise IU matches up with them; could this be the year to knock them off. MSU is beatable and IU had played them tough for years. The team will have to prove to me they can win these games but I don't doubt they are capable.
Unfortunately if you look at the Big 10 conference the year IU went to the Rose Bowl you will see that the Big Ten really sucked. Six teams had a losing record. Wisconsin did not win a single game. Iowa won one game. Michigan and Michigan State both had a losing records.

Unfortunately if you look at the Big 10 conference the year IU went to the Rose Bowl you will see that the Big Ten really sucked. Six teams had a losing record. Wisconsin did not win a single game. Iowa won one game. Michigan and Michigan State both had a losing records.
Thanks, Mr. Buzzkill

I just have a feeling Ramsey is going to come in and be a complete player this year. If his receiving corps stays healthy, he's going to be a lot more effective with the RBs we have.

He may not be Joe Namath, but I'll bet he's going to be pretty damn hard to beat out of the starting spot. I'd really like to see IU get out to a big lead these first couple games and bring in the other guys for a few series to get them ready.

Of course, I've also felt that way before the season before and then we struggle against the weak teams. It's time to step on some of these teams.
Really well said, DANC...sure he most likely won't be all pro...but I think he will show what experience really adds up to in the B10...

We could be wrong...but I'm still betting on a Ramsey start...but he will be chased by the younger hungry dogs...and that is great.

Yes for IU to make that kind of jump this year they have to have many things break their way. Could this year be one of those years, I don't know but could see it happening that way. Once again, I am not saying it will happen just pointing out you never know how the season may work out.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
Yes for IU to make that kind of jump this year they have to have many things break their way. Could this year be one of those years, I don't know but could see it happening that way. Once again, I am not saying it will happen just pointing out you never know how the season may work out.
It will happen. At some point. And that is why I look forward to the beginning of every season. Add the beginning of every game. I’m hoping to carry that optimism into the fourth quarter of every game this year. You never know.

I'm loving the fact that we've got this kind of depth at QB. I don't think people should get too hung up on who's going to be the starter in the first game. I see this as a fluid situation, and have every confidence that CTA and CKD will ultimately go with the guy who gives us the best chance to win in conference play.

Every QB we have eligible will play...period duh. Who starts does matter. And the QB capable of winning B10 games will get the most time and play at the crucial moments. Experience has ALWAYS led the way until circumstances dictate otherwise as in injuries or rising talent. But after months of evaluation by coaches, they already have a pretty good idea of who is going to play when and where...as it better be.

The breakdown of our QB's is pretty basic. We have one with two years starting experience and a lot of wins and losses. But not one loss can I put solely on him. He did not call the plays and proved over and over he could make any play...if they would let him. They did not.

A new OC can break that mold...the best player will win the job. And best is defined by way more than how hard you can throw a ball. Experience is golden...but not concrete. You must do your part in the whole to stay a starter.

But after months of evaluation by coaches, they already have a pretty good idea of who is going to play when and where...as it better be.
I disagree, at least as far as your comment applies to QB. I don't think they know. To date, Penix has seen only limited game action, and Tuttle has yet to take a college snap. For this reason, I believe Ramsey will start versus Ball State but the others will get a close look, particularly if the offense struggles in those first few games. Ramsey needs to make the throws and stretch the field or it could be a fairly quick hook. There are two four-star guys waiting in the wings. But competition should make everyone better.

I disagree, at least as far as your comment applies to QB. I don't think they know. To date, Penix has seen only limited game action, and Tuttle has yet to take a college snap. For this reason, I believe Ramsey will start versus Ball State but the others will get a close look, particularly if the offense struggles in those first few games. Ramsey needs to make the throws and stretch the field or it could be a fairly quick hook. There are two four-star guys waiting in the wings. But competition should make everyone better.
If the competition is close I hope Penix or Tuttle starts against BSU. We already know what Ramsey can do and he has shown he can come in a spark the offense if needed. Let one of the other two show what they can do as a starter with the game plan built around their abilities. We need to find out if Penix or Tuttle will give IU a better shot against OSU and coming in later in the game won't do that. It will be interesting to see how coach DeBoer approaches this issue.

Sometimes people, particularly younger people, seem to think that history does not matter...when in fact it is the primary thing that matters. Overcoming your past is the hardest thing you will ever do as a person or a team.

But it can be done...for IU, imo, it won't happen overnight. It's the long haul that matters.

Why do you guys keep raining on his parade. Come one, people.
If the competition is close I hope Penix or Tuttle starts against BSU. We already know what Ramsey can do and he has shown he can come in a spark the offense if needed. Let one of the other two show what they can do as a starter with the game plan built around their abilities. We need to find out if Penix or Tuttle will give IU a better shot against OSU and coming in later in the game won't do that. It will be interesting to see how coach DeBoer approaches this issue.
I know Penix and Tuttle are more talented, but they are still Freshmen. Don't you think they would be better served by working them in as opposed to throwing them in too deep and too early?

With a new OC and the chance of a more talented QB running the team and IU could pull off several games people don't think they will. With a more talented QB and a OC with experience turning around offense, IU could surprise people this year. We have talent on offense and our defense is very talented with experience this year. I am leaning more and more to a potential 9 win or better season. I will be happy if they get a winning season but we might as well get a few more games in the win column.

While I 100% agree a dynamic QB + strong OC can make a huge difference and I’m bullish for IU this season...let’s keep those predictions in our heads for now and just boldly predict bowling again. (From five to nine games may seem like straight jacket material to the trolls!)

I know that IU plays OSU the third game of the season and I found this interesting.

Last season, OSU allowed 25.5 points a game and 403.4 yards on average.

OSU also ran close to 100 more offensive plays than the team with the second most (Northwestern). They also had a good time of possession (31:56) all while averaging around 42 pts/game.

Getting them early could be an advantage for IU.

While I 100% agree a dynamic QB + strong OC can make a huge difference and I’m bullish for IU this season...let’s keep those predictions in our heads for now and just boldly predict bowling again. (From five to nine games may seem like straight jacket material to the trolls!)
The two freshmen IU has already have experience more than Indiana players due to spring practices in their states. Penix also has come into games last year and looked very ready to start.

Reactions: 76-1
The two freshmen IU has already have experience more than Indiana players due to spring practices in their states. Penix also has come into games last year and looked very ready to start.
Can't agree with this observation. Did not look ready either physically or mentally. He broke, didn't he? He needs to put on 20 lbs to survive a season in the B10. The only experience that matters is in B10 play...all else is prep only. He will have to grow in many ways to beat out Ramsey. Tuttle is the one to watch imo.

Can't agree with this observation. Did not look ready either physically or mentally. He broke, didn't he? He needs to put on 20 lbs to survive a season in the B10. The only experience that matters is in B10 play...all else is prep only. He will have to grow in many ways to beat out Ramsey. Tuttle is the one to watch imo.
Ramsey is a completely mediocre qb. He just is. He cannot make throws that a team has to have the qb make to win big games against B1G East opponents. He’s got a terrible arm. Just awful. I love him as a leader, but if he’s the starter, I don’t see a way IU gets to a bowl.

When Penix entered the PSU game and uncorked two 60 yard bombs, PSU’s safeties dropped 7-10 yards back which opened up the running game. If he doesn’t get hurt, IU likely wins that game. I’m not saying he’s perfect and he clearly needs to work on his accuracy and touch, but to say a kid that was a 4*, that’s 6’3, 202 isn’t big enough is laughable. Ramsey is 6’2, 216 right now and was less than that last season and the year before. Did Ramsey survive?

Ramsey is a terrific kid, but we’ve seen what Ramsey can do. He can dink and dunk, throw 1-2 ill timed picks, make some plays with his legs, throw some wounded ducks and score between 20-30 points per game. That’s not enough to get to a bowl, imo.

Ramsey is a completely mediocre qb. He just is. He cannot make throws that a team has to have the qb make to win big games against B1G East opponents. He’s got a terrible arm. Just awful. I love him as a leader, but if he’s the starter, I don’t see a way IU gets to a bowl.

When Penix entered the PSU game and uncorked two 60 yard bombs, PSU’s safeties dropped 7-10 yards back which opened up the running game. If he doesn’t get hurt, IU likely wins that game. I’m not saying he’s perfect and he clearly needs to work on his accuracy and touch, but to say a kid that was a 4*, that’s 6’3, 202 isn’t big enough is laughable. Ramsey is 6’2, 216 right now and was less than that last season and the year before. Did Ramsey survive?

Ramsey is a terrific kid, but we’ve seen what Ramsey can do. He can dink and dunk, throw 1-2 ill timed picks, make some plays with his legs, throw some wounded ducks and score between 20-30 points per game. That’s not enough to get to a bowl, imo.
People keep saying the run game opened up after Penix came in but I remember Stevie having success running the ball before Penix.
I do agree quarterback play needs to continue to get better. But if Tamsey is the stater it will be because he is the best alternative plain and simple. The coaches are going to play the guy who gives them the best opportunity to win.

People keep saying the run game opened up after Penix came in but I remember Stevie having success running the ball before Penix.
I do agree quarterback play needs to continue to get better. But if Tamsey is the stater it will be because he is the best alternative plain and simple. The coaches are going to play the guy who gives them the best opportunity to win.
Yeah, IF Ramsey is the starter under 2 OCs, then I'm good with it. They are the experts and are getting paid to make decisions.

As a fan, I don't see the intangibles that go into the decision.

Would I like to see a more dynamic offense than I've seen Ramsey provide? Yes, but at this point, I don't really know if it's him or the offense being run.

So, in Deboer I trust. Until our first loss. lol

The run game was not bad at all, but what did happen was the safeties moved multiple yards back after seeing the arm strength that Penix had. IU had 6 holding penalties in the game which stifled drives and also a brutal fumble by Ronnie Walker. On both of Penix's scrambles, he looked dynamic.

As I said above, I love Ramsey. He's a terrific kid, a great leader, and a true team guy. With all that said, he doesn't have the arm strength to make the throws needed to win big time games in the B1G, imo. He can't fit balls into tight spaces. He can't make the throws with any zip from the hash to the boundary. When he's out there, his arm takes any throw to the opposite side of the field and deeper than 30 yards nearly off the table totally unless he finds Hale or Westbrook in 1 on 1 with no help over the top.

The run game was not bad at all, but what did happen was the safeties moved multiple yards back after seeing the arm strength that Penix had. IU had 6 holding penalties in the game which stifled drives and also a brutal fumble by Ronnie Walker. On both of Penix's scrambles, he looked dynamic.

As I said above, I love Ramsey. He's a terrific kid, a great leader, and a true team guy. With all that said, he doesn't have the arm strength to make the throws needed to win big time games in the B1G, imo. He can't fit balls into tight spaces. He can't make the throws with any zip from the hash to the boundary. When he's out there, his arm takes any throw to the opposite side of the field and deeper than 30 yards nearly off the table totally unless he finds Hale or Westbrook in 1 on 1 with no help over the top.
I still believe the run game was already established while Ramsey was in the game. I don’t think misfiring in two deep balls affected the run game that much.

Reactions: DANC
I still believe the run game was already established while Ramsey was in the game. I don’t think misfiring in two deep balls affected the run game that much.
Not having safeties within 7 yards from the LOS does effect the running game. It also helps the OL because it limits the stunts the defense can do. It wasn't just the two misfiring of two deep balls but the fear of getting WR past their coverage which changed PSU defense. I trust DeBoer to choose the best QB and put him in the best position to make the offense the best it can be.

Reactions: boston jamie
As I said, the run game was good early, but when Penix uncorked two 60 yard bombs, PSU's safeties backed up. It wasn't a BTN game so I can't find the full clips, but I was watching the game with a bunch of friends and we all made comments about it. Ramsey couldn't do anything with his legs the whole game, but Penix looked really good on his two scrambles (one he got injured on).

Regardless, my contention is still that if Ramsey is the starter, we will have a very hard time beating good teams. I want the guys with the arm talent on the field rather than the "leader" who's the "safe" pick (I put safe in quotes because of all the INT's Ramsey threw last year).

What I am excited about with deboer is multiple times he has stated he will be able to adjust his scheme based on the players. So even if ramsey is starting I feel he will be able to get performance out of the offense. He showed this with eastern michigan as he had very little talent but was able to scheme to what he did have and become succesful.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Do you remember Steve Schnur from Northwestern? He didn't have a strong arm but he took the Wildcats to the 1996 Rose Bowl. Ramsey reminds me of him. A quarterback needs to be a good decision maker and game manager and not just someone with a rifle for an arm.

Do you remember Steve Schnur from Northwestern? He didn't have a strong arm but he took the Wildcats to the 1996 Rose Bowl. Ramsey reminds me of him. A quarterback needs to be a good decision maker and game manager and not just someone with a rifle for an arm.
I do. I went to every single game that year as my mom is a NW alum and season ticket holder. That team was also absolutely stacked on defense. Schnur didn't have a huge arm, but he was a much, much better decision maker than what Ramsey has shown. Ramsey has thrown 18 INT's in his first 20 games...That's awful. If he's not going to protect the ball and can't make down field throws, I don't think he should be the starter. I'd rather go with Penix or Tuttle and get the guys with much better arm talent experience for the must win games at the end of the season.

I do. I went to every single game that year as my mom is a NW alum and season ticket holder. That team was also absolutely stacked on defense. Schnur didn't have a huge arm, but he was a much, much better decision maker than what Ramsey has shown. Ramsey has thrown 18 INT's in his first 20 games...That's awful. If he's not going to protect the ball and can't make down field throws, I don't think he should be the starter. I'd rather go with Penix or Tuttle and get the guys with much better arm talent experience for the must win games at the end of the season.
Here's my prediction, for what it's worth (probably not much): Ramsey will be the starting QB for the Ball State game. By the time Week 5 rolls around (at Michigan State), Penix will have taken over.

This isn't meant to be dismissive of anyone. I'm glad we've got all three guys, and I believe they'll all make important contributions this season.

Here's my prediction, for what it's worth (probably not much): Ramsey will be the starting QB for the Ball State game. By the time Week 5 rolls around (at Michigan State), Penix will have taken over.

This isn't meant to be dismissive of anyone. I'm glad we've got all three guys, and I believe they'll all make important contributions this season.
I could see that. I would prefer Tuttle or Penix to start at home against OSU as their first start if Ramsey does take the reigns against BSU...

Zzzzzzzzz....wow, you see what you wanna see I guess...

I don't think 18 INTs in 20 games is an excessive amount, considering he came in as the starter his redshirt freshman year. That first year was a real learning experience and would be for anyone.

Heck, if you went by INTs his first year, Peyton Manning would have been cut from the team. He thew a CRAZY number of INTs that year.

I'm certainly not going to be upset no matter who the QB starts out to be, if the team is winning. And we never know until the season how it's going to turn out. Ramsey is solid. Not spectacular, but solid. I think with a different play-caller, we could see a big improvement this year.

A QB can be huge difference. Penix to me may have the tools to beat any of the big boys, and for sure the next tier level. And add in DeBoer who could be fantastic per his track record. DBs May have more picks this year. DE’s more sacks.

Also throw in two bye weeks which helps.

Then the mojo of “names on the jerseys again!” And I see 7-5!
I really think the two bye weeks and their balanced placement in the schedule will be a boost toward a crucial win/upset. And I too have thought that our DE's will get more sacks, especially with the coverage improvement I expect from our DBs. This then increasing the likelihood of more TOs. Plugging up the opponents run game will be a huge must for the above things to happen.

Reactions: ESalum86
Not having safeties within 7 yards from the LOS does effect the running game. It also helps the OL because it limits the stunts the defense can do. It wasn't just the two misfiring of two deep balls but the fear of getting WR past their coverage which changed PSU defense. I trust DeBoer to choose the best QB and put him in the best position to make the offense the best it can be.
It is not a quarterback throwing two deep incompletions is the biggest factor in loosening up the secondary... the biggest factor would be wide receivers running by the secondary. Also I don’t believe anyone would play their safeties closer than 12 yards against anyone. Finally depth of secondary does not determine what stunts your fronts will run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT