ADVERTISEMENT

Can these guys fill the void?

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
McFaddens going pro has left a huge hole in the heart of the Defense athletically, production wise, and most importantly..., in terms of leadership...

Can any of these guys step up and fill that void; perhaps collectively, if not individually...?
That's the 70 million dollar question... The answer will be one of the keys to the entire season...

McFaddens going pro has left a huge hole in the heart of the Defense athletically, production wise, and most importantly..., in terms of leadership...

Can any of these guys step up and fill that void; perhaps collectively, if not individually...?
That's the 70 million dollar question... The answer will be one of the keys to the entire season...

I’m probably one of the few here that think that, despite losing a monster like Micah McFadden, I think the have collectively a better group this year. There’s more support, more depth in there from P5 schools. I think there is a better collection of talent there as well that to pick up the slack as a group. I think we’ll like the kids from Miami and UCLA and UK.

If we can get 75% of Micah out of the new kids and a little bit more production out of the DL, it’ll be a wash since we relied on Micah to blitz so much for pressure.

C4 is a stud and I think he’s really going to shine in his last dance. He just needs a little help.

This group of LBs need to shine if the defense is to be good. By all accounts K. Turner is a McFadden clone and may help out more than most freshman do. McCollough is the unknown as he has exceptional talent but we haven't seen him on the college field yet.

RedBuff, I agree there is more talent with this LB group than before and I hope it shows early on and throughout the season.

Last edited:
This group of LBs need to shine if the defense is to be good. By all accounts K. Turner is a McFadden clone and may help out more than most freshman do. McCulley is the unknown as he has exceptional talent but we haven't seen him on the college field yet.

RedBuff, I agree there is more talent with this LB group than before and I hope it shows early on and throughout the season.
I fully expect a defensive turnaround this year. Last year, Warren was in over his head and hopefully Allen learned his lesson that hiring or promoting guys who have never been in a coordinator role to call all the shots is a recipe for disaster.

I’m probably one of the few here that think that, despite losing a monster like Micah McFadden, I think the have collectively a better group this year. There’s more support, more depth in there from P5 schools. I think there is a better collection of talent there as well that to pick up the slack as a group. I think we’ll like the kids from Miami and UCLA and UK.
Talent wise, I agree we are better as a whole than last year. Schematically we're going to be solid. Fundamentals will be sound.

What Micah brought were the intangibles... his leadership, the fire, and the desire. He willed that defense to success much like Peyton Ramsey willed the offense to success in 19.

Like you said in another post... We need moxie.

This group of LBs need to shine if the defense is to be good. By all accounts K. Turner is a McFadden clone and may help out more than most freshman do. McCulley is the unknown as he has exceptional talent but we haven't seen him on the college field yet.

McCullough, not McCulley.

I was thinking why is one our qbs on defense 😄.

Reactions: 76-1
I fully expect a defensive turnaround this year. Last year, Warren was in over his head and hopefully Allen learned his lesson that hiring or promoting guys who have never been in a coordinator role to call all the shots is a recipe for disaster.
Before the injuries took over last year, the defense was very good. Particularly with all of the offensive turnovers and/or bumbling and special teams giving up big plays.

I know we didn’t see the turnovers we had seen the prior year, but TOs can be somewhat flukey.

Had the offense done their part last year I do t think you’d have been disappointed in the defense at all.

It was a recurring theme the first half of the year that CTA would say the defense did enough to make the game winnable. I think it was the MSU game where he said the defense did everything to win the game except score points.

ADVERTISEMENT