ADVERTISEMENT

Can everyone agree

C: Brunk then Race
PF: TJD then Race
SF: Smith then Hunter then Geronimo
SG: Durham then Franklin then a freshmen
PG: Phinisee then Franklin

Duncomb is 2021, correct?
Are you assuming Lander isn't going to reclassify to 2020?

Great. I did not remember my physique from my senior year in high school to my freshman year in college. I’m not sure the 12 months changed it but certainly multiple decades did. By the way for the worse

A lack of basketball is going to be the downfall of the country?

Get a grip.
I don't know how it was intended, but I read his comment as: if things with this pandemic are so bad that we dont have basketball then the pandemic is having very dire consequences for our country in general.

Reactions: ams66
On Lander starting, the guard that has the mental toughness to play Archie's brand of tough defense and ball movement will start. Could be Lander, Leal or Franklin.Lander and Leal have the attitude that could translate into determination to beat out Franklin and Durham.

The time it takes to approve a virus vaccine may make the virus a factor next fall. The same reasons the season came to an end this year may still be around as the season is about to start. We may not see a full or partial football season either. It would be a financial disaster for the school.

If we have a season, I expect a few more wins and a better level of play that would place us as a 6 or 7 seed in the NCAA.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
That is not what I said. I said if we are still shut down by then it will be very bad.

There's a wide gulf between being "shut down" under stay at home orders and not allowing large scale gatherings, such as sports events.

Great. I did not remember my physique from my senior year in high school to my freshman year in college. I’m not sure the 12 months changed it but certainly multiple decades did. By the way for the worse
If you are married I bet your wife still thinks you are the strappin dreamboat she married. Then again she might need glasses. Happy Easter my friend.

Using a pandemic to score political points is wrong. Our President in my view is doing a great job dealing with this virus and keeping us safe. It is a disease that has spread. The real question for all of us and the economy is how long will we have to be shut down. If we are shut down by this fall it will be bad for us. Just look at how bad it has been in this short of a time. We have millions losing their jobs and it will get worse.
Heck, you just decided last week to stop holding in person church services.
Good to see that on the holiest day of the year, you are here discussing your savior.

Heck, you just decided last week to stop holding in person church services.
Good to see that on the holiest day of the year, you are here discussing your savior.

Don’t get it twisted, he died for you and me as well. Everyone’s savior, and he has risen baby!

Don’t get it twisted, he died for you and me as well. Everyone’s savior, and he has risen baby!

giphy.gif

Thank You- these posters that think he’s sitting on the bench behind our awful guards
are driving me nuts

Lander was a second team all state behind Furst and Kaufman as juniors.

I absolutely love that we got him. He's got unbelievable potential but unlike young, big guys who are already physically developed....Lander is the opposite.

He's going to be a 17 year old, 150 lb freshman guard who the guru's have already said his body is the big thing that will really determine his development....and we're getting him at his most vulnerable physically and mentally.

He's going to be a stud. I just ask everyone to keep in mind he's going to be really young and really small playing in a brutally physical conference. A point guard has to be the leader so he's going to have to come in and learn the offense and defense all whole being undersized to do that his freshman year. That's a lot to expect on him.

If I were to bet he's going to use this year in a supporting role if Rob is healthy. Rob will be the primary point. Lander will probably get Green's minutes at a minimum.

Hell Winston was a true 5 star freshman and still took time to become the stud point guard that he was. He played behind Tum Tum.

Yogi played behind or beside Hulls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

I absolutely love that we got him. He's got unbelievable potential but unlike young, big guys who are already physically developed....Lander is the opposite.

He's going to be a 17 year old, 150 lb freshman guard who the guru's have already said his body is the big thing that will really determine his development....and we're getting him at his most vulnerable physically and mentally.

He's going to be a stud. I just ask everyone to keep in mind he's going to be really young and really small playing in a brutally physical conference. A point guard has to be the leader so he's going to have to come in and learn the offense and defense all whole being undersized to do that his freshman year. That's a lot to expect on him.

If I were to bet he's going to use this year in a supporting role if Rob is healthy. Rob will be the primary point. Lander will probably get Green's minutes at a minimum.

Hell Winston was a true 5 star freshman and still took time to become the stud point guard that he was. He played behind Tum Tum.

You’re basically making the case for him to not reclassify but stay in high school for another year to mature more and get stronger? Why would the coaching staff work so hard to reclassify him to 20 if they didn’t think he could be a major piece to this teams success? Just sayin

You’re basically making the case for him to not reclassify but stay in high school for another year to mature more and get stronger? Why would the coaching staff work so hard to reclassify him to 20 if they didn’t think he could be a major piece to this teams success? Just sayin
This is the same argument that people use to say a player should stay in school. The answer is pretty much the same, too. The coaching, other staff, facilities, and practice and game competition are all superior at the higher level which should speed up his development.

I would guess it’s a very mutual decision. We have a spot for him now. We need shooting and ball handling. He’s a high 5 star kid. Archie is aware that all the improvements they’re making need to be parlayed into more wins.

For Kristian it’s very simple...practicing against Rob, Al, Arman...etc is a better prep than practicing against Reitz JV point guard. He’ll also have Cook Hall, with a 24/7 access key card. And he’ll get to play games on ESPN and against college players. And, if he comes in and thrives early on, grows a little physically, he might just put himself into NBA draft discussions...a year early.

He’ll be a 15-20 minute a game player max, and likely not average double figures for the season or conference. And that’s if he has a really good year.

I would guess it’s a very mutual decision. We have a spot for him now. We need shooting and ball handling. He’s a high 5 star kid. Archie is aware that all the improvements they’re making need to be parlayed into more wins.

For Kristian it’s very simple...practicing against Rob, Al, Arman...etc is a better prep than practicing against Reitz JV point guard. He’ll also have Cook Hall, with a 24/7 access key card. And he’ll get to play games on ESPN and against college players. And, if he comes in and thrives early on, grows a little physically, he might just put himself into NBA draft discussions...a year early.
You just explained perfectly why UK and Calipari recruit so well. Year after year.

I deleted several posts in this thread due to "politics." Please folks, keep political comments off these boards. So often they just turn into pissing matches and no one's position is altered. I usually send a message to the poster when I delete to let them know but in this case there were so many that I'm posting this message to let you know.
Thanks.

Indiana has to shoot better to finish in the top 3 in the conference. And you can't predict the tourney until we see the bracket.

So no, I do not agree with you.
Agreed. I’ll be pleasantly surprised to see us top 3. Our shooting is not going to be that much better imo. I expect a 5-7 finish

I deleted several posts in this thread due to "politics." Please folks, keep political comments off these boards. So often they just turn into pissing matches and no one's position is altered. I usually send a message to the poster when I delete to let them know but in this case there were so many that I'm posting this message to let you know.
Thanks.
Thank you.

No, I want him here as soon as possible.

I'd rather have Lander for two or three years than for one or two.

He's going to be a stud so the sooner he can get here and get ingrained the better.

My point is that many people assume 5 star means instant all conference player. I think Lander is going to need some time to bake as again, he's going to be a high school senior playing in the big ten at 150 lbs and as a distributor.

That's a lot to ask a 17 year old.

To the contrary, I was all over TJD leading in minutes as he is a physical freak even at 18 and runs the floor like a deer at a position that was just opened by the departure of Juwan Morgan.

If TJD was coming in as a post only, I would have been more hesitant.

Anyway we don't need Lander to dominate early, which is a great thing, but if Rob gets hurt again Lander is a hell of an understudy at 17.

Hes actually a really good shooter so again, I think he'll get Green minutes unless he comes in and sets the world on fire...just saying I think he's got a tough hill to climb right off the bat.

Tum Tum Narin = Rob Phinisee
Cassius Winston = Kristian Lander

The kid is good, and would be a great player for IU. I don’t think any freshman can give you the kind of change, the kind of impact that you think he will. If IU were already a top 3 team in the BIG, then adding a great player might “guarantee” a top 3 finish. However, I doubt any freshman could take a top 10 team and move them up that far.
You're basically right, but Eric Gordon.

Whether you're pro or anti Archie Miller, that if Lander reclassifies to the 2020 class, IU should finish in the top 3 of the B1G next year and at least go to the Sweet 16?

I don't think that's an unfair expectation at all.

Thoughts?

whenever someone asks "can everyone agree", i always know the answer before the rest of the question ever even gets asked.

Reactions: minneman and kkott
Thank You- these posters that think he’s sitting on the bench behind our awful guards
are driving me nuts

I don't think it's that far-fetched at all to think Lander starts out on the bench, given the timing and dynamics of things. It's a very real possibility that the first time Lander steps foot on campus is in late August when school opens up. Will have meant he's missed an entire summer of strength and conditioning and getting acclimated with his team. For a would-be senior in high school, that's monumental.

I think there's one of 2 ways Lander starts right away; either he starts ahead of Al Durham taking our best 3 point shooter out of the lineup or IU goes to a 3 guard lineup with Brunk moving out of the lineup. I think Archie is infatuated with the idea of starting 4 upperclassmen and highly doubt either scenario takes place right out of the gate. That being said, I do think there's a very real chance both Lander and Franklin are starting by seasons end.

Top 3 may be possible but they should be atleast top 5/6. Second weekend of the tourney should be the goal as well.
Add beating Purdue to the expectations. Finishing In the top 5-6 without beating the Boilers would be lame. Finishing in the top 3 and losing to them would be a disgrace.

Reactions: kkott
I don't think it's that far-fetched at all to think Lander starts out on the bench, given the timing and dynamics of things. It's a very real possibility that the first time Lander steps foot on campus is in late August when school opens up. Will have meant he's missed an entire summer of strength and conditioning and getting acclimated with his team. For a would-be senior in high school, that's monumental.

I think there's one of 2 ways Lander starts right away; either he starts ahead of Al Durham taking our best 3 point shooter out of the lineup or IU goes to a 3 guard lineup with Brunk moving out of the lineup. I think Archie is infatuated with the idea of starting 4 upperclassmen and highly doubt either scenario takes place right out of the gate. That being said, I do think there's a very real chance both Lander and Franklin are starting by seasons end.

If Lander were to start in place of Durham, I'd guess one of the reasons is that CAM feels he's a better shooter than Durham.

If Lander were to start in place of Durham, I'd guess one of the reasons is that CAM feels he's a better shooter than Durham.

Durham is a our best returning shooter and I don't think it's close. Hard seeing Archie immediately replacing Durham without Lander at least first. I do think by the end of the year IU will be playing a predominant 3 guard lineup with Smith/Race and TJD in the front court.

Durham is a our best returning shooter and I don't think it's close. Hard seeing Archie immediately replacing Durham without Lander at least first. I do think by the end of the year IU will be playing a predominant 3 guard lineup with Smith/Race and TJD in the front court.

I agree... although not sure I'd say it's not close. But, I'm saying if/when Archie were to replace Durham with Lander, it would be because he thinks he's a better shooter. It's not like Durham is Steph Curry, he's the best shooter in a stable of sub par shooters. I think a healthy Phinisee or an improving Hunter could be as good or even a bit better with a good summer of work. Those two coupled with decent shooting out of any of Durham, Lander, Leal or Galloway is how this team could become respectable from 3.

I agree... although not sure I'd say it's not close. But, I'm saying if/when Archie were to replace Durham with Lander, it would be because he thinks he's a better shooter. It's not like Durham is Steph Curry, he's the best shooter in a stable of sub par shooters. I think a healthy Phinisee or an improving Hunter could be as good or even a bit better with a good summer of work. Those two coupled with decent shooting out of any of Durham, Lander, Leal or Galloway is how this team could become respectable from 3.

Curious as to what you think Lander’s 3pt% will be as a freshman? I’d be shocked if it’s over 35%. Durham has improved his shooting every year and is a steady high 30’s% shooter. It’s a huge jump from high school to college now that they’ve moved the line back and the speed of the game is night and day difference.

Whether you're pro or anti Archie Miller, that if Lander reclassifies to the 2020 class, IU should finish in the top 3 of the B1G next year and at least go to the Sweet 16?

I don't think that's an unfair expectation at all.

Thoughts?
Every season is different and comes with different expectations. This next season I just want to see improvement, in terms of kenpom and conference finish. It's pretty unlikely that the BIG will be as historically deep as it was last year.

That assumes several key players avoid bad injuries.

The tournament is a crapshoot. There is no sense tying expectations to it.

Curious as to what you think Lander’s 3pt% will be as a freshman? I’d be shocked if it’s over 35%. Durham has improved his shooting every year and is a steady high 30’s% shooter. It’s a huge jump from high school to college now that they’ve moved the line back and the speed of the game is night and day difference.

I think it's unlikely he'd shoot over 35% too, although I think he'll be in that range. I actually don't expect Lander to start and if he did, I think it would be at PG and Rob would be the 2 or platoon with Durham or play 3 guards with all of them together. I think it's more likely that Lander and Phinisee will platoon at PG. You brought up the possibility of Lander overtaking Durham at the 2, and while I don't think that will happen, if it did I think Lander being a better shooter would be a prerequiste.

I think it's unlikely he'd shoot over 35% too, although I think he'll be in that range. I actually don't expect Lander to start and if he did, I think it would be at PG and Rob would be the 2 or platoon with Durham or play 3 guards with all of them together. I think it's more likely that Lander and Phinisee will platoon at PG. You brought up the possibility of Lander overtaking Durham at the 2, and while I don't think that will happen, if it did I think Lander being a better shooter would be a prerequiste.

See I think Lander and Phinisee on the court together is a must. Need more than one ballhandler on the court. Lander's strength to the team next year is likely one that won't appear in any box score. Offense stalled too many times last year because IU just didn't have many dynamic guards. None could really penetrate and create for themselves along with others. With essentially two point guards on the court next year you should really see the offesne open up. Ball shouldn't stall outside the perimeter and you should see more action at the rim.

I actually think Rob is as good or better a shooter than Al. Especially when healthy. Als numbers were probably slightly better, but Rob had some leg/groin issues for a big part of the season, which is tough to play at a high level with.

Al also got a lot more open shots off Rob, and the TJD focus, than Rob got from Al too. Al was the outlet guy often times in transition, as an example, and got a bunch of open looks as a result. Rob was nearly always the guy kicking it up the floor. I’d be shocked if someone researched this and found that Rob had anywhere near as high a percentage of open looks as Al had.

I don’t think either of them are “bad” shooters. I just think all things equal, I’d take Rob. And to the point of this thread...if Lander does come in and take over one of the starting backcourt slots...it’ll be more at Als expense than Robs.

ADVERTISEMENT