ADVERTISEMENT

Can everybody share the favorite year of their lives on here? Mine is 1976.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
It is my favorite for the following reasons:

IU went undefeated and won the NCAA championship in men's basketball
I graduated from IU that May
I started working as Greenfield's sports editor the first working day after graduation
My long-time girlfriend and I got married that August
I won the Hoosier State Press Association's "Best Sports Reporting" award that November

During my 66 years, I have had other memorable years. However, none of them compare with 1976. My assumption is my favorite year pales in comparison with some of your favorite years.

I will pick 1974 . That is the year I graduated from University of Wisconsin Business School and entered IU Law School in August of 1974.
I will never forget the last night I spent at UW. I was finished with finals and went to the downtown area to party in a couple of Bars with some friends. I was somewhat anxious making the change from somewhere I had been for 2 Years to somewhere new.
My Dorm was on the far West End of Campus. As I was walking the 2 mile trek from Downtown to my dorm, I had a feeling of uneasiness about everything.

As I walked near a bell tower, the 2:00 a.m. bells went off. Right after that an absolute feeling of calm came over me, At that point I was very happy that I hadn't been accepted to UW school of Law and didn't have to choose between IU and UW, although I did have to choose between IU and several other schools.

It was almost as if those bells were my sendoff from UW. The message that you have done everything you can here, best of luck, and you will be successful in the next phase of your life. I have never felt anything like this since.

IU won it all in hoops.
Kentucky Wesleyan won the D-II tourney.
I graduated from IU law school, got married, passed the Bar Exam, started a job.
IU beat Ohio State, Michigan and Purdue in football.
St. Louis won the NL pennant.

Every year from '81-'88 were great for different reasons. Then parent and family health issues began. My wife and I have one parent left between us now.2016 was the last year good year for me.

I guess I love the 80's because I became more independent, graduated high school and college, got married, and began my career.

Reactions: All4You
It is my favorite for the following reasons:

IU went undefeated and won the NCAA championship in men's basketball
I graduated from IU that May
I started working as Greenfield's sports editor the first working day after graduation
My long-time girlfriend and I got married that August
I won the Hoosier State Press Association's "Best Sports Reporting" award that November

During my 66 years, I have had other memorable years. However, none of them compare with 1976. My assumption is my favorite year pales in comparison with some of your favorite years.

hmmm.... let's see: what was the last year before I started encountering McNutt's inane golf posts on the AOTF?

Every year from '81-'88 were great for different reasons. Then parent and family health issues began. My wife and I have one parent left between us now.2016 was the last year good year for me.

I guess I love the 80's because I became more independent, graduated high school and college, got married, and began my career.

The 80's were my favorite decade also. My parents and grandparents were still alive. I graduated and went on to start my career. I got married and started my family. The Hoosiers were great. Narrowing it down to a single year is too difficult to me.

Reactions: iubud
Late 1991.

I was 19. I heard Smells like Teen Spirit on my little VW Bug radio ... for the first time. It was like the world went from black and white to instant color. I bought Nevermind the next day.

Never saw the world the same again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT