ADVERTISEMENT

Can Dr. Ibram X. Kendi hit a major league curve ball?

Not to forget Keith Hernandez . My best Harry Caray memory dozing on a Sunday afternoon on the WGN broadcast. '' Steve , the Wilsons are here from Kokomo Indiana, thats Omokok spelled backwards...........silence, Steve that didnt sound very good did it? No Harry, it didn't . I didnt know at that time Harry was drinking beer the whole game while he called it.

Lmao!!!! For a generation of kids watching Keith smoke in the dugout was like learning there was no Santa

When he played for the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant team:

ozzie-smith-90donruss-simps.jpg
That’s one of my all time favorite episodes of ANY show. That’s a classic.

“Still better than playing for Steinbrenner.”

Lmao!!!! For a generation of kids watching Keith smoke in the dugout was like learning there was no Santa
Dave Parker too, Jim Leyland was doing it managing right up to the tobacco ban. Obviously smoking is bad but interesting seeing athletes back in the day , John Brody maybe ? Some QB on the sideline with a bottle of soda and a cigarette picture. If I were playing I'd prefer a guy smoking than spitting tobacco all over especially where I might be sliding through it at home plate.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Dave Parker too, Jim Leyland was doing it managing right up to the tobacco ban. Obviously smoking is bad but interesting seeing athletes back in the day , John Brody maybe ? Some QB on the sideline with a bottle of soda and a cigarette picture. If I were playing I'd prefer a guy smoking than spitting tobacco all over especially where I might be sliding through it at home plate.
The Cobra. God, I hated the Pirates. That awful music they played during their rallies. And the Phillies, too. Mike Schmidt owned the Cubs.

You are reaching big time. Only ~7% of MLB players are black, which comes out to only ~2 per team. And every team has lots of Latin American players. Heck, there are more players from the Dominican Republic alone than there are black players. Think about that stat: more than 10% (98) of MLB players are from an island with the population of the state of Georgia (~10.7 million).

As for Asian born players, it's still a very, very small percentage. I believe there were only 13 (1.4%) Asian born players on opening day rosters this season. In fact, the % of foreign born players has dropped slightly for four straight years (28.3%, down from a peak of 29.8% in 2017).

what are the key reasons why the DR, Cuba, PR, etc produce so many major leaguers per capita? Do they play that much more? Are there biological advantages?

what are the key reasons why the DR, Cuba, PR, etc produce so many major leaguers per capita? Do they play that much more? Are there biological advantages?
UH oh , you are straying off in Jimmy the Greek areas here! Quickness? I think a lot of it is playing more. Wonder how many hispanic major leaguers play video games as kids? I think apathy on the part of Americans for the game in general is part of it

UH oh , you are straying off in Jimmy the Greek areas here! Quickness? I think a lot of it is playing more. Wonder how many hispanic major leaguers play video games as kids? I think apathy on the part of Americans for the game in general is part of it

but haven’t they been outperforming per capita since the Clemente days?

but haven’t they been outperforming per capita since the Clemente days?
Perhaps but not near the degree. I think quickness and perhaps some flexibility are actual factors . I think sports obviously tells us there are some traits that are never set in stone but of some ethnicities having skills better for sports. I don't think that is racist when put that way it is facts . Its not like its demeaning to be a better pro athlete and make more money.

The obsession with race never ends.

Good god people.... find something else to talk about. You're all part of the problem.
Good God your obsession with being an a**hole is part of problems too. Are you stupid or just that overwhelmed by guilt and political correctness? Is there no correlation to any of this? Do you just purposely try and be an ass? No one was talking about people not being able to play because of race , it was discussing traits and god forbid there may actually be traits that different races in general have an advantage in? MLB brought it up to start with. Do you talk just to hear yourself? Obviously there are some reasons for some of these stats on the number of players. is it absolute no but Mr Big guy explain why there are so many hispanics currently in baseball? I never said it bothered me but why? You dont think there is any reason why the NBA is mostly black and even the whites that play are European? You are the racist one in this not being able to view things as they are and speak the truth because you are so caught up in total equality. Newsflash slick different people have different characteristics and it is a fact so go take your bullshit to another thread.

Good God your obsession with being an a**hole is part of problems too. Are you stupid or just that overwhelmed by guilt and political correctness? Is there no correlation to any of this? Do you just purposely try and be an ass? No one was talking about people not being able to play because of race , it was discussing traits and god forbid there may actually be traits that different races in general have an advantage in? MLB brought it up to start with. Do you talk just to hear yourself? Obviously there are some reasons for some of these stats on the number of players. is it absolute no but Mr Big guy explain why there are so many hispanics currently in baseball? I never said it bothered me but why? You dont think there is any reason why the NBA is mostly black and even the whites that play are European? You are the racist one in this not being able to view things as they are and speak the truth because you are so caught up in total equality. Newsflash slick different people have different characteristics and it is a fact so go take your bullshit to another thread.

It must be hard to be as stupid as this. Anyone that's known me on here for the last decade+ knows I despise PC. But you jump to conclusions because you have a weak mind.

The obsession with race never ends.

Good god people.... find something else to talk about. You're all part of the problem.
It used to be enjoying a baseball game allowed one to escape the obsessive politics du jour. MLB won’t allow that.

Race us Ubiquitous these days. I’m going to see The Million Dollar Quartet for the third time in a few weeks. A companion program is about race snd the myth of rock and roll I suppose because the MTD is about 4 white guys. I can just imagine what that myth is about. The roots of R&R are pretty well known. We don’t need to balance the white guys with any more race lectures.

Reactions: Crayfish57
It must be hard to be as stupid as this. Anyone that's known me on here for the last decade+ knows I despise PC. But you jump to conclusions because you have a weak mind.
Then why bring up what you said? People were discussing traits that some races may have to make them better at some sports and your response is the obsession with race never ends. I actually think you just aren't nearly as smart as you think you are but do carry on and prove it for us.

It used to be enjoying a baseball game allowed one to escape the obsessive politics du jour. MLB won’t allow that.

Race us Ubiquitous these days. I’m going to see The Million Dollar Quartet for the third time in a few weeks. A companion program is about race snd the myth of rock and roll I suppose because the MTD is about 4 white guys. I can just imagine what that myth is about. The roots of R&R are pretty well known. We don’t need to balance the white guys with any more race lectures.

I have a lot of issues with the societal trends that are occurring in our country. And I don't disagree with many of your comments. I'm a white guy with two white little kids that will have to grow up in our future.... and I don't want them feeling like lepers that need to spend their life apologizing for something they have no control over.

They just want to be good kids and then hopefully good adults that treat others with respect.

Then why bring up what you said? People were discussing traits that some races may have to make them better at some sports and your response is the obsession with race never ends. I actually think you just aren't nearly as smart as you think you are but do carry on and prove it for us.

My response was really to COH.... not you. I honestly typically skip over anything you write. It's typically partisan hackery which I find boring.

My response was really to COH.... not you. I honestly typically skip over anything you write. It's typically partisan hackery which I find boring.
Likewise, Where did COH even have a post here before yours when you say you were responding to him? No doubt teaching those kids of yours good things using a guy with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth as your picture.

Likewise, Where did COH even have a post here before yours when you say you were responding to him? No doubt teaching those kids of yours good things using a guy with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth as your picture.

You're new here. So I'll give you a pass for being a young blowhard asshole. I was too at one point. Now I'm just an asshole. Good night.

You're new here. So I'll give you a pass for being a young blowhard asshole. I was too at one point. Now I'm just an asshole. Good night.
No, you used to be a middle of the road poster, but not now.

Sister Sledge and those stupid hats but I think baseball was more fun in those days. Omar Moreno leading off. I remember thinking at the time I've never really known anyone actually named Omar before
Yep, no question, baseball was much more fun back then. I actually didn't mind that 1979 "We Are Family" Pirates team. Who didn't like Willie Stargell and the Candy Man? I was thinking more the Jolly Roger crap, they would play during a rally.

Yep, no question, baseball was much more fun back then. I actually didn't mind that 1979 "We Are Family" Pirates team. Who didn't like Willie Stargell and the Candy Man? I was thinking more the Jolly Roger crap, they would play during a rally.
Forgot that , Bill Madlock at 3rd. Remember Candelaria pitching, Bert Blyleven . the cobra gave them a mean streak . Thinking back on how much I remember from that era . Numbers have always stuck with me, 49,28, 8 ,5 , 18 , 39 of those guys and really wasnt a huge fan of pirates just watching the post season when every game all season wasnt on TV . Facing Palmer Flannigan , Earl Weaver, Eddie Murray Rick Dempsey in the world series 22 16 4 33 and 24

Reactions: F.Fletch
i'll say this much the pride of the national league, your saint louis cardinals, i do not believe have a single black player on the roster. i'm reaching here but maybe they're trying to penetrate the black market more. nba is about 75% and nfl 60%. the birds' roster is heavily comprised of players from LA countries

I guess it's just the times that we live in and those that are coming into power are much more socially conscious, to the point that if you don't say something it's seen as a slight.

Look at late night TV. It was never political. It was feel good. Carson would never make any kind of political stand to the point that no one had any idea of his political leanings.

Today everything is politically charged. Fallon had great success being the non political fun guy who did sketches and played games....today he's seen as not serious.

Now guys like us can bitch and moan about it but we're going to understand that our power years are fading. My music is now on Kool 108, the f'ing oldies channel.

Millineals and Gen Z are coming into power and will take over the country sooner than later so businesses will coddle to them.

Anyway, taking a social stance is a big deal to them which is why I believe you're seeing more social marketing in all the major sports (not sure on the NHL).

Think of it as a Jordan (who stayed out of social commentary) compared to LeBron (who has branded himself as Mr. Social Commentary).

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You are way off base with twenty... I understand where he's coming from.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Thank you. I actually did laugh out loud at this one. Great way to start the morning. Kudos.

Many times, baseball humor is the best.
I saw an interview with a manager a little while back and he said that he asked the umpire if he could throw him out for what he was thinking and the umpire said NO so he told him what he was thinking and the umpire threw him out of the game. :)

Then you understand my post.
I think you are wrong .... I think that he's still a middle of the road poster. I can't speak for him but I do think maybe he didn't separate Trump's policies from Trump being an asshole. To me they are two different issues but some don't separate the two and that's their prerogative.

• Angry
Reactions: Lucy01 and twenty02
I saw an interview with a manager a little while back and he said that he asked the umpire if he could throw him out for what he was thinking and the umpire said NO so he told him what he was thinking and the umpire threw him out of the game. :)

If you get a few more out there we'll be able to, as Yogi would say, "Pair 'em up in threes."

I think you are wrong .... I think that he's still a middle of the road poster. I can't speak for him but I do think maybe he didn't separate Trump's policies from Trump being an asshole. To me they are two different issues but some don't separate the two and that's their prerogative.

During the years I commented frequently on policy issues of the Trump admin that I agreed with and didn't. But the discussion on this board was rarely about policy.

His most postive legacy was reducing the corp tax rate which had become antiquated and out of line with the rest of the world's tax structure..... forcing multinationals to keep hoards of overseas earnings parked overseas..... and a flurry of corporate inversions. Inversions are more or less now dead, as we've moved to a territorial tax structure, rather than a global one. I didn't like the structure of the entire package as it was heavily sweetened with individual tax cuts that were entirely debt financed, in an economy that didn't require fiscal stimulus.

I also give him credit for moving the national eyeballs to the China problem, which will be the major geopolitical issue for decades to come. His proposed solutions were amateur hour, but at least I can give him credit for awaking the national consciousness.

His personality and character were a serious cancer that destroyed the Republican party and death axed political discourse in this country. Something that was already failing..... but never to the extreme he pushed it to. For that, he'll forever be known as the worst President since Andrew Johnson. And he may actually be worse than Johnson.

What’re we drinking tonight? I had a Heady Topper and a Focal Banger from the Alchemist in VT.

His most postive legacy was reducing the corp tax rate which had become antiquated and out of line with the rest of the world's tax structure..... forcing multinationals to keep hoards of overseas earnings parked overseas..... and a flurry of corporate inversions. Inversions are more or less now dead, as we've moved to a territorial tax structure, rather than a global one. I didn't like the structure of the entire package as it was heavily sweetened with individual tax cuts that were entirely debt financed, in an economy that didn't require fiscal stimulus.
Isn’t the Biden proposal going to reverse all of that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT