ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone clarify draft eligibility rules?

Dude Where Is My Car

Benchwarmer
May 24, 2017
I keep hearing Luke Miller is eligible for the draft as a sophomore. My understanding was you have to be 21 by draft day (or 3 years out of college whichever comes first) and Luke Miller's birthday is in July. Does someone on here know for sure when the deadline is for your 21st birthday to be draft eligible?

What's interesting is Paulie Milto should definitely be draft eligible as a sophomore since his 21st birthday was in March but I have not heard mention of him being draft eligible although that could just be no one expects him to be drafted so it's being overlooked versus Miller who is expected to be drafted (albeit not high so he may very well come back).

First I've heard of it. I was actually unaware of the age stipulation.

I wonder how highly Sowers will get drafted this year. He had two different seasons within a season. And other than + power and maybe a ++ arm, he doesn't blow you away in other categories. Strikes out too much for my liking.

Here is the link for the rules. If he turns 21 in July as you say (I have no idea), then he would not be eligible because the draft is June 12th.

I keep hearing Luke Miller is eligible for the draft as a sophomore. My understanding was you have to be 21 by draft day (or 3 years out of college whichever comes first) and Luke Miller's birthday is in July. Does someone on here know for sure when the deadline is for your 21st birthday to be draft eligible?

What's interesting is Paulie Milto should definitely be draft eligible as a sophomore since his 21st birthday was in March but I have not heard mention of him being draft eligible although that could just be no one expects him to be drafted so it's being overlooked versus Miller who is expected to be drafted (albeit not high so he may very well come back).

3 years out of college?

Maybe 3 years out of high school . . . which might be the hook for Miller to be eligible for the draft, if he was young for his high school class.

I hope Sowers,and,Miller are back next year. They could use some more seasoning. That would give us some good pop in the power category for next season. I hope we find a few more good arms too!

I hope Sowers,and,Miller are back next year. They could use some more seasoning. That would give us some good pop in the power category for next season. I hope we find a few more good arms too!
Miller has to be back.....see the above. He is not 21 yet and is only a sophomore. Sowers is gone, though.....

Miller has to be back.....see the above. He is not 21 yet and is only a sophomore. Sowers is gone, though.....

As I said that would be logical with Miller as based on rules he seems to be ineligible (unless iuhoosiers.com has his date of birth wrong).

However, both our radio announcer Greg Murray and the Big Ten Network said he is eligible this year for some reason and I am trying to figure out why. I doubt both of these sources are wrong but I am trying to figure out what rule he wiggles in under given his 21st birthday being in July and only 2 years out of high school.

Reactions: jmbennett

As I said that would be logical with Miller as based on rules he seems to be ineligible (unless iuhoosiers.com has his date of birth wrong).

However, both our radio announcer Greg Murray and the Big Ten Network said he is eligible this year for some reason and I am trying to figure out why. I doubt both of these sources are wrong but I am trying to figure out what rule he wiggles in under given his 21st birthday being in July and only 2 years out of high school.

I believe the loop hole is that MLB teams have till August to sign all their draftees, thus his age acceptable by MLB draft rule.

I believe the loop hole is that MLB teams have till August to sign all their draftees, thus his age acceptable by MLB draft rule.

I double checked with the coach I know that taught me the rule and he confirmed his understanding is you have to be 21 by draft day with no exceptions. Also articles keep stating Milto and Lloyd will be back but they are older and certainly draft eligible as they are already 21 (and Lloyd in particular given him being a successful two way player should absolutely get a look).

Unless iuhoosiers.com has completely messed up everyone's birth dates everything I am reading makes no sense.

I wouldn't think Miller could be drafted. Maybe he could quit school and sign a free agent deal after he is 21, don't know certainly hope not for IU baseball. I do know he is on the Yarmouth-Dennis Cape Cod summer league roster (good league and good sign) listed as an outfielder. That might make some sense for IU as the outifield is thin for '18 but that leaves a hole at 3rd. Lloyd is draft eligible, he was actually a commit in Smith's last class along with Logan Sowers before detoiring to JC, and he is 21. His versitility and bat may well get his name called. He would be a big loss if he doesn't return.

As things sit now the roster is top heavey with pitchers (19 outof 30) if all those eligible return and all the commits make it to campus and stick. Seldom happens and I doubt either of those things will have happened by the time they start back up in February. Question did IU publish last falls signings, can't seem to find the list and am relying on Perfect Game for the commits.

The '18 season will be very important for this program, a lot of pitching but the everyday line up has some big holes to fill. From here it looks like pitching will need to replace long ball as the team strength next year.

I wouldn't think Miller could be drafted. Maybe he could quit school and sign a free agent deal after he is 21, don't know certainly hope not for IU baseball. I do know he is on the Yarmouth-Dennis Cape Cod summer league roster (good league and good sign) listed as an outfielder. That might make some sense for IU as the outifield is thin for '18 but that leaves a hole at 3rd. Lloyd is draft eligible, he was actually a commit in Smith's last class along with Logan Sowers before detoiring to JC, and he is 21. His versitility and bat may well get his name called. He would be a big loss if he doesn't return.

As things sit now the roster is top heavey with pitchers (19 outof 30) if all those eligible return and all the commits make it to campus and stick. Seldom happens and I doubt either of those things will have happened by the time they start back up in February. Question did IU publish last falls signings, can't seem to find the list and am relying on Perfect Game for the commits.

The '18 season will be very important for this program, a lot of pitching but the everyday line up has some big holes to fill. From here it looks like pitching will need to replace long ball as the team strength next year.

You are right Miller SHOULD NOT be eligible given his age and the draft rules but every media article and IU's own radio announcer says he IS ELIGIBLE so clearly their is a rule he wiggles in on no one knows or iuhoosiers.com has messed up his date of birth.

You are right Miller SHOULD NOT be eligible given his age and the draft rules but every media article and IU's own radio announcer says he IS ELIGIBLE so clearly their is a rule he wiggles in on no one knows or iuhoosiers.com has messed up his date of birth.
The IUhoosiers.com site is far from the best, but other sites confirm Luke will not be 21 before MLB draft. The fact that he is signed up for the Cape Cod summer league is a good sign that he will be back, but of course not a guarantee. We need him as well as Sowers and Lloyd back, although would have to think Sowers will be drafted and likely go. Seniors lose a little bargaining leverage. In Sower's case cutting down on the strikeouts would offset that IMO. He has the potential, but the hitting skills need to be refined.

As the rule states:

"A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis."

Luke can be drafted, and signed between his birthday and august 15th or before he re-enrolls in school. He has already been through the pre-draft process, so he should be drafted.

Lloyd is draft eligible, and is expected to be drafted at some point next week. Sowers will be drafted also.

If that is the way the rule is enforced it is unfortunate for IU in this case. I believe it is unfortunate for MLB ultimately, as I believe MLB should encourage college baseball rather than undercut it. For Luke and other similarly situated kids I say good for you, it is your talent and you should be able to get the full benefits of your choice to utilize it under the rules the ultimate authority has established for the game, whether or not those rules are best for MLB.

If all three of those kids leave next season will be a challenge. I can only hope Coach Lemonis has some strong JC connections to enable him to address some major holes in the day to day line up.

I think a big key will be where Dedelow is drafted. I know his average was down, but with his power numbers increasing so much, that might really help. If he gets a big bump in where he is drafted from the 34th round last year, perhaps some of these players will think if they stick around another year to work on things, it will only help their draft stock. Hope Dedes goes alot earlier, not only for that but just for his own benefit. Glad the kid stuck around for his senior year!

I think a big key will be where Dedelow is drafted. I know his average was down, but with his power numbers increasing so much, that might really help. If he gets a big bump in where he is drafted from the 34th round last year, perhaps some of these players will think if they stick around another year to work on things, it will only help their draft stock. Hope Dedes goes alot earlier, not only for that but just for his own benefit. Glad the kid stuck around for his senior year!
And he did! Going from the 34th to the 9th round.....that is a HUGE jump for him. He obviously made the right choice in coming back for his senior year. We will see if it has an effect on Sowers and Lloyd, assuming they will be drafted sometime today.

Reactions: jmbennett
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT