ADVERTISEMENT

Can’t shoot, don’t play defense, do not value the ball

Our guard play is awful.

I agree with the shooting and the turnovers, but the defense was, in my opinion, decent tonight. The effort was there too. The guys had plenty of chances during that game to quit and didn't.

We are just severely, SEVERELY limited offensively. We don't have a single, solitary player who can create his own shot. You can only ask the kids to play hard given their limitations and, for the most part, they did. We just missed a bunch of shots.....yet again...ugh

Go Hoosiers!

I agree with the shooting and the turnovers, but the defense was, in my opinion, decent tonight. The effort was there too. The guys had plenty of chances during that game to quit and didn't.

We are just severely, SEVERELY limited offensively. We don't have a single, solitary player who can create his own shot. You can only ask the kids to play hard given their limitations and, for the most part, they did. We just missed a bunch of shots.....yet again...ugh

Go Hoosiers!
Worse than that, they have zero leadership. Far too often, things devolve into selfish, individual play, with no accountability among the players. Miller needed to fix this a couple of years ago.

Worse than that, they have zero leadership. Far too often, things devolve into selfish, individual play, with no accountability among the players. Miller needed to fix this a couple of years ago.

You may be right, but I think a big part of being a leader is being able to make a shot when we need it. Iowa has Garza. Maryland has Jalen Smith. OSU has Wesson. PSU has Lamar Stevens...and on and on it goes. If we had somebody who could create their own shot, I think that guy would just become the leader. We just don't have that.

You may be right, but I think a big part of being a leader is being able to make a shot when we need it. Iowa has Garza. Maryland has Jalen Smith. OSU has Wesson. PSU has Lamar Stevens...and on and on it goes. If we had somebody who could create their own shot, I think that guy would just become the leader. We just don't have that.
Without question. IU’s backcourt obviously isn’t very good, and there’s little consistency up front beyond TJD and an emerging Thompson. It’s just not a very good team. Take out the cupcakes from early in the year and it’s not very impressive.

I agree with the shooting and the turnovers, but the defense was, in my opinion, decent tonight. The effort was there too. The guys had plenty of chances during that game to quit but didn't.

Go Hoosiers!
Absolutely! The defensive effort was there but so was Purdue's,. The offensive breakdowns, particularly at end of the first half, is disconcerting. Archie has yet to figure out his drought problems. A simple time out during those droughts with a sure fire scoring play never materializes.

Reactions: smitty3725
Without question. IU’s backcourt obviously isn’t very good, and there’s little consistency up front beyond TJD and an emerging Thompson. It’s just not a very good team. Take out the cupcakes from early in the year and it’s not very impressive.

worst 9 seed EVAR. Lol. You really are an emotional idiot. Thanks for sharing though!

Go Hoosiers!
It's apparent to me that Archie is a gimmick/system type coach that cannot adapt coaching the personnel he has. That's fine when you recruit towards that and you get players to so that, it works good for Syracuse a lot, but there's a reason Boeheim has 1 NC in like 40 years and needed a HOF talent to get it. I do not at all believe Archie is recruiting with a system in mind, he's just trying to land big local talent to appease the masses, 1 one and done that has no relevance to your gimmick approach is not going to be impactful. He needs to totally abandon this crap philosophy. Forcing outside shots on teams that can and will hit 3's without any thought to matchups is not a winning recipe

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyser123
There's a very simple reason why IU lost to a bad Purdue team: Matt Painter has developed an identity for his program and recruits players that fit that identity. A guy like Sasha Stefanovic knows his role. Matt Haarms knows his role. Trevion Williams knows his role. They are well coached, and beat more talented teams because they execute at a high level. IU is a team that either doesn't respect Archie Miller, is incapable of being coached, is mentally weak or all of the above.

Leadership doesn't have to be scoring, although it's what 90% of the talk here revolves around. Just within our program many of our leaders weren't scorers: Quinn, Jim Thomas, Joe Hillman, Brian Sloan, etc... We lack both: guys who can score and a leader(s).

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I just laugh at all the consent Archie can't coach.
How about we have guards that aren't meeting any expectations of a good D1 player..
That Durham play before half ..Was just comical.

Reactions: JB_Nomee
Leadership doesn't have to be scoring, although it's what 90% of the talk here revolves around. Just within our program many of our leaders weren't scorers: Quinn, Jim Thomas, Joe Hillman, Brian Sloan, etc... We lack both: guys who can score and a leader(s).
No accountability. Miller must really dislike this team.

Last edited:

Agreed, poor shooting is a symptom not the root cause.

There's a very simple reason why IU lost to a bad Purdue team: Matt Painter has developed an identity for his program and recruits players that fit that identity. A guy like Sasha Stefanovic knows his role. Matt Haarms knows his role. Trevion Williams knows his role. They are well coached, and beat more talented teams because they execute at a high level. IU is a team that either doesn't respect Archie Miller, is incapable of being coached, is mentally weak or all of the above.
Painter is so good that pu is 15-14

Reactions: Tegray1

Yep. This has been my point for some time. I am not sure what IU's identity is right now, and I am not sure if the players do or not...that is dependent upon internal culture.

I just laugh at all the consent Archie can't coach.
How about we have guards that aren't meeting any expectations of a good D1 player..
That Durham play before half ..Was just comical.

It was just sad. And while I agree, I will say I think that was poor on Archie to not have Rob in for that possession. They were playing for 1 shot so the foul trouble wasn't a concern. Down 7 with the ball and 20 seconds left, that was a pretty big moment in the game and it went disastrously bad.

What is a shame is that's our JR starting 2 guard. That's what we're dealing with right now.

Where To Start?
1. I'm surprised that the backboards at Mackey are still in one piece after the number of bricks we heaved up. In the first half I thought I was Watching a Brick Masons Convention rather than a Basketball Game.

2. Would somebody please remind Franklin that he is wearing Basketball Shoes for a reason? I have never seen someone who is so off balance
while dribbling that he face plants himself multiple times with little or no contact.

No accountability. Miller must really dislike this team.

Like you have any clue what accountability means for this team or this coach. Lol. All you know to do is type words you can’t define and flail. LUCKY US!

Like you have any clue what accountability means for this team or this coach. Lol. All you know to do is type words you can’t define and flail. LUCKY US!
You’re happy with lower expectations for the program. Enjoy that. Do you think Miller enjoys this team?

You’re happy with lower expectations for the program. Enjoy that. Do you think Miller enjoys this team?

naaaah, but I know what “incremental” means. Lol. But, again, we get that you thought this was a plug-and-play FF team. That’s painfully dumb but I guess we get it.

naaaah, but I know what “incremental” means. Lol. But, again, we get that you thought this was a plug-and-play FF team. That’s painfully dumb but I guess we get it.
Never said any of that, so that kind of blows you up. There’s nothing incremental about what we’re watching, by the way. Better get your Thesaurus out and search for a new word.

Never said any of that, so that kind of blows you up. There’s nothing incremental about what we’re watching, by the way. Better get your Thesaurus out and search for a new word.

huh? This team is better than last year and that team was better than the year before. Not huge jumps, thus it’s been incremental. Maybe with this new knowledge in hand you can finish that IU degree. Good luck!

Where To Start?
1. I'm surprised that the backboards at Mackey are still in one piece after the number of bricks we heaved up. In the first half I thought I was Watching a Brick Masons Convention rather than a Basketball Game.

2. Would somebody please remind Franklin that he is wearing Basketball Shoes for a reason? I have never seen someone who is so off balance
while dribbling that he face plants himself multiple times with little or no contact.

Regarding #2, I agree, and Al Durham is just as bad. Someone needs to let our world renowned "Director of Athletic Performance" Cliffy know that our players drive with the ball like their shoelaces are tied together. Maybe we should do some more balance and contact oriented conditioning and less glamour shots in the sandbox.

huh? This team is better than last year and that team was better than the year before. Not huge jumps, thus it’s been incremental. Maybe with this new knowledge in hand you can finish that IU degree. Good luck!
“Better”? You don’t watch much basketball, do you?

I don't see how anyone can dispute this.

We can celebrate recruiting victories, and hope things change when the roster turns over, but this describes what is going on on the court.

I don't see how anyone can dispute this.

We can celebrate recruiting victories, and hope things change when the roster turns over, but this describes what is going on on the court.
Painter has a culture. It’s an outgrowth of what Keady started there many years ago. If you don’t fit it, you don’t stay very long. And it’s been extremely successful.

What’s IU’s culture with Miller? I keep asking but nobody can come up with an answer.

ahh, so we’re playing worse but are beating better teams? Lol. You guys are even bad at complaining.
Was 14-14 Purdue better this year than last, when they came within an eyelash of the Final Four. You getting all these games out in Ferguson?

Was 14-14 Purdue better this year than last, when they came within an eyelash of the Final Four. You getting all these games out in Ferguson?

IU is better than last year and still got swept by PU. PU is worse than last year and still swept IU. It’s a weird game. Lol.

Ferguson, MO? What do you know about the place? Lol. Just what FOX news told ya? Trust me, there are plenty of houses in Ferguson you couldn’t afford.

IU is better than last year and still got swept by PU. PU is worse than last year and still swept IU. It’s a weird game. Lol.

Ferguson, MO? What do you know about the place? Lol. Just what FOX news told ya? Trust me, there are plenty of houses in Ferguson you couldn’t afford.

There are houses in nearly every town most people can't afford, what does that have to do with anything?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT