ADVERTISEMENT

CAM's style of basketball... let's delve into this a little more...

fireforeffect

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2016
What styles of offense & defense does he model after? Please explain the pros/cons of using those styles. What other schools practice those same models and how well do they execute them? How will his *Offense* be against a zone (lolol... but seriously)? How does IU's current players fit into these styles? Is CAM missing any pieces to his offense/defense puzzles? I'm really starting to get pumped for this upcoming season... but keeping my expectations simmering on low heat... regardless, I just don't want too see anything that is reminiscent of last season's performance... thanks in advance for some good discussions here...

Last edited:
What styles of offense & defense does he model after? Please explain the pros/cons of using those styles. What other schools practice those same models and how well do they execute them? How will his defense be against a zone (lolol... but seriously)? How does IU's current players fit into these styles? Is CAM missing any pieces to his offense/defense puzzles? I'm really starting to get pumped for this upcoming season... but keeping my expectations simmering on low heat... regardless, I just don't want too see anything that is reminiscent of last season's performance... thanks in advance for some good discussions here...
“How will his defense be against a zone?” Seriously?

Sorry... had multiple thoughts going on at once... how will his OFFENSE be against a zone... once again sorry.... That's how much it irritated me for the last NINE years.... Found a good video re: Packline defense... Xavier coach... he explains the concepts quite well....

Sorry... had multiple thoughts going on at once... how will his OFFENSE be against a zone... once again sorry.... That's how much it irritated me for the last NINE years.... Found a good video re: Packline defense... Xavier coach... he explains the concepts quite well....

Just messing with you. I think everyone expects a much more fundamental approach under Miller.

What styles of offense & defense does he model after? Please explain the pros/cons of using those styles. What other schools practice those same models and how well do they execute them? How will his *Offense* be against a zone (lolol... but seriously)? How does IU's current players fit into these styles? Is CAM missing any pieces to his offense/defense puzzles? I'm really starting to get pumped for this upcoming season... but keeping my expectations simmering on low heat... regardless, I just don't want too see anything that is reminiscent of last season's performance... thanks in advance for some good discussions here...
We all have lots of questions about IU's new head basketball coach. But, there are many things we know.

We know that we should give Archie Miller enough time to get his team into the NCAA tournament. Some of his strengths at Dayton were player development and ability to adjust during games and throughout the season. He changes schemes to the personnel he has and is flexible. He has the ability to just make things go correctly.

We only know by looking at U of Dayton over time what might be installed at IU. He won't use the zone on defense. Or if he does I will be surprised having not seen it here in Dayton. You have heard that he will use the pack-line defense (also known as a sagging defense). That means better perimeter defense. There are multiple examples of it online. Each player is held responsible for his man. If the player continues to not defend his man then that player won't be seen on the floor. Players will help but that won't be as necessary since each player must defend.

On offense, IU will not have as high a ceiling on offensive scoring as with previous recent teams. Scoring easy baskets on transition is a priority. But, in contrast to previous teams, Miller will install a more deliberate offense...taking higher percentage shots. Dribble-drive and baseline cuts and feeds to high and low post will be active and will get more chances at the line for free throws. Guards will pass into the post and break quickly to follow that. Motion and active set plays, not the weave, will be installed. Turnovers will not be as frequent. Once again, online resources are plentiful to see some of these.

I'm excited to see what will happen at IU! Living in Dayton and seeing Archie here has been fun. But, IU has won the lottery with Archie Miller. Miller helped recruit for Thad Matta and Sean Miller. And Archie was a point guard that was smart and could really shoot. Bodes well for IU.

Pack line defense. 2-1-2 half court offense with an emphasis on scoring in transition first and then getting looks at the rim to create FT attempts.

The pack line is a man defense with an emphasis on stopping passes and drives to the interior. The 2-1-2 offense has elements shared with motion, though it's not motion, in that it uses screens and cutting as much as penetration to break down defenses.

There's a few vids and articles out there about Arch, and even more about Sean.

Just google Arch Miller Offense, Arch Miller Defense, Sean Miller Offense, Sean Miller Defense. They are very similar in how they coach. And I know there's at least one on how the Millers attack a zone. Hint: they do not have their five dribble into the zone - only an idiot would do that..

If I have time later I'll post some but it's Friday, so, it may be Monday before I get around to it.

No he doesn't have the type of players he wants this year, he needs more length at the wing, but he will next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: fireforeffect

What capture my attention more then how the packline defense works in the video was the simple 4 questions (starts at the 1:18 mark) that the coach said everyone should ask in regards to their defense. I would say you could ask the same questions for offense... then reflect on IU's teams the last 6-7 years.

Reactions: Hoogolf
It was my mistake... had a bit of word dyslexia when I first typed the thread... he was cool about it in his reply....
Not dogging you at all, Fireforeffect. His snarky "Seriously?" made it sound like he was proudly proclaiming that he was the only one who noticed it when all of us knew what you were saying.

Not dogging you at all, Fireforeffect. His snarky "Seriously?" made it sound like he was proudly proclaiming that he was the only one who noticed it when all of us knew what you were saying.
If everyone just ignores them maybe they'll go away and plague another board with their imbecilic attempts at thought. Or you guys can keep giving the attention whores attention and turn them into the free-board version of OS and have 999 pages of stupid crap. Or we could post zit gifs at them... I know you love those.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
If everyone just ignores them maybe they'll go away and plague another board with their imbecilic attempts at thought. Or you guys can keep giving the attention whores attention and turn them into the free-board version of OS and have 999 pages of stupid crap. Or we could post zit gifs at them... I know you love those.
You're much better at posting articles about the pack line defense and black-and-white videos of performers doing the moon walk and recordings of 14th century tunes that sound like the beginning of Stairway to Heaven. While you are indeed very skilled at posting zit gifs, your talents are surely wasted doing that (seriously) because, for example, even Vegas Hoosier could probably concentrate long enough to search for and post a zit gif. No way he could do the other stuff though.

You're much better at posting articles about the pack line defense and black-and-white videos of performers doing the moon walk and recordings of 14th century tunes that sound like the beginning of Stairway to Heaven. While you are indeed very skilled at posting zit gifs, your talents are surely wasted doing that (seriously) because, for example, even Vegas Hoosier could probably concentrate long enough to search for and post a zit gif. No way he could do the other stuff though.
lol ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT