Reasonable expectations?

Reactions: Indianaftw
Can we agree on the following

Year 3 - make tournament- Finish 12-8 in B10

Year 4 - when 1 game in tournament Finish 14-6 in B10

Year 5- sweet 16 - Finish 15-5 in B10

Reasonable expectations?
I can agree to that.

Barring another year of injuries, next year should tell us a lot about Archie's potential as a coach. Will be an interesting off-season for sure.

Reactions: IUgradman
I could agree to that as well.

12-8 next year I’d expect bare minimum 1 win. Making the tournament is paramount to our conference record. I’d say from year four going forward my conference expectation would be top 4 or 5 annually, competing for a conference championship.

Balanced recruiting classes will be the most important to sustaining stability going forward

Definitely reasonable, I think Archie will be able to maintain those expectations. I also think you will have more success next yr. watching Indiana this yr I felt that Langford was above anyone else on the team. No disrespect to him, but next yr everyone will be on the same level and you have another stud who will probably stay more than one yr

Agree. Nothing against Romeo but if they balance isn’t there , a lottery pick can sink a team. I think with a good JC or grad transfer , and incoming class , could be interesting. I’ll refrain from additional negative comments until we see how next season starts going. Hopefully he’ll have better control over effort and fundamentals next year. Injuries are out of his control. But effort and discipline are both a reflection of him. All the successful coaches have no problem lighting players up...Knight -Izzy-Coach K - Williams - Cal all got into the players over those issues. Maybe a good learning year for CAM.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
No. Not reasonable.

It is better to make reasonable expectattions by placement in the Big Ten standings.

I think this is something I will have to repeat until I die, the NCAA tournament is about match ups.
You can't just assume subtle improvements amount to a sweet 16.

Look at Virginia last year.

Look at Michigan State's draw this year. They are the ebst team in the conference and easily top 10 nationally but they may have to beat Minnesota or Louisville to get to the S16. You can't tell me those teams are not capable of an upset.

Reactions: IUCol
No. Not reasonable.

It is better to make reasonable expectattions by placement in the Big Ten standings.

I think this is something I will have to repeat until I die, the NCAA tournament is about match ups.
You can't just assume subtle improvements amount to a sweet 16.

Look at Virginia last year.

Look at Michigan State's draw this year. They are the ebst team in the conference and easily top 10 nationally but they may have to beat Minnesota or Louisville to get to the S16. You can't tell me those teams are not capable of an upset.

We need to shut down the program if it’s not reasonable to expect an IU coach to make the SW 16 one time in 5 years.

Last edited:

Reasonable expectations?

Move year 5 up to year 4. Crean inherited a complete disaster and was able to make a SW 16 in year 4.

12-8 next year, sure thats " reasonable" but still probably unlikely given next year will maybe be slightly better. Maybe not. 10-10 in the big 10 seems like it would be reasonable to expect, and a 10 seed. Be what Minnesota is this year.

We need to shut down the program if it’s not reasonable to expect an IU coach to make the SW 16 one time in 5 years.

If that is what you are after, you need to just ask: "Is it a reasonable expectation for Miller to reach at least one sweet 16 in his first 5 years?"

And to that, I would say, no, because what if IU was 1st and 2nd in the conference in years 4 and 5 but failed to reach the sweet 16? What if one of those years was a last second loss in the round of 32 and the other was an injury to Rob P. during the Big Ten tournament?

We will know, if there is a fifth year, if Miller is doing well, but it won't be measured simply by the number of sweet 16s.

Reactions: hondo314
Read the title? Do you know what the word “progrsssion” f******* means?

Clearly not. God, you guys are like rain clouds hovering over this board all damn day.

STOP

I answersed the original poster above.

P.S. I’ll clue your dumba#s in. All IU coaches “progressions” should include a SW 16 in their first 5 years.

If that is what you are after, you need to just ask: "Is it a reasonable expectation for Miller to reach at least one sweet 16 in his first 5 years?"

And to that, I would say, no, because what if IU was 1st and 2nd in the conference in years 4 and 5 but failed to reach the sweet 16? What if one of those years was a last second loss in the round of 32 and the other was an injury to Rob P. during the Big Ten tournament?

We will know, if there is a fifth year, if Miller is doing well, but it won't be measured simply by the number of sweet 16s.

I appreciate the response, but we’re not going to agree.

Reactions: cryano
I answersed the original poster above.

P.S. I’ll clue your dumba#s in. All IU coaches “progressions” should include a SW 16 in their first 5 years.

Ya have to get there to stay there. See how that works?

Now please shut the f*** up. Seriously, everyday with the same bullshit again and again and again. Jesus

If IU makes the NCAA Tournament next year it is a success. From then on making the NCAA Tournament is a reasonable expectation. Not winning the B1G, a top 5 ranking, followed by missing the NCAA Tournament and finishing 10th or worse in the B1G should be a bad sign like it was with Crean. After making the NCAA Tournament, tournament success really depends on match-ups, injuries, and how the team closes out close games.

Last edited:
We could be solid next season. A few things need to bounce our way, but it’s completely within the realm of reason to be optimistic about next year. Barring injuries, we’ll have front court depth and a seasoned back court. Existing players will be able to better mentor newcomers as to the system and expectations. Off court issues that may or may not have existed will hopefully be resolved. Jerome Hunter could be a baller, and we could land a grad transfer or another recruit for needed shooting. Cohesion and defined roles were what this team lacked the most, I think. Need players to lead (Davis and Durham perhaps) and fellas to focus on a common goal. Hope next year is the start of a new trend for IU hoops

Reactions: HurryinHoosiers

Great point.

Tom Crean had 3 Sweet 16's in a 5 year span, but even after the last one it was clearly evident he wasn't going to get the program to an elite level. Let's see what we got with Miller before we throw the baby out with the bathwater.

It's a shame that the basketball program has dropped to the level of the football team where the goal is to finish .500 and get a bowl game. We base our success on making the tournament. or sweet 16. It wasn't that long ago (yes I'm old) we expected or at least hoped for a final 4 or banner each year.

Ya have to get there to stay there. See how that works?

Now please shut the f*** up. Seriously, everyday with the same bullshit again and again and again. Jesus

Put me on ignore if you want me to shut the "f*** up." There isn't any reason to bust my balls over my statement to TR32. I responded to him because he was claiming it was "unreasonable" to expect IU to make at least one SW 16. If TR32 would have left out his first two sentences, "No. Not Reasonable.", I wouldn't have responded to him. I also do understand his point and it does have some merit, but I think his expectations are to low.

Also, at no time is it unreasonable to expect IU to make at least one SW 16 in 5 years. Did IUSCOTT take over your handle?

Last edited:
Trying not to be the over the top fan but there has to be a jump up in their success. My expectation for next season is to see a more complete team. This season proves you better have one, including the semblance of a bench.

Crushed by injuries from the start, virtually nothing coming off the bench ready to help, lack of size, and a terrible shooting team made for an uphill climb. Some early season wins covered it up but conference play exposed them.

All teams have injuries but really good teams have a couple players ready to come off the bench who can be effective. IU did not. If that does not change it's going to be tough again.

Wow how the mighty have fallen. This reads like a thread over on HSN.

IU fans on message boards tend to be maudlin. HSN is a cesspool of fanboys. I tried to read through one thread and couldn't make it to the end. I would get launched from the site after one thread.

Last edited:
IU fans are a maudlin bunch. HSN is a cesspool of fanboys. I tried to read through one thread and couldn't make it to the end. I would get launched from the site after one thread.

Is there any more maudlin phrase than "how the mighty have fallen"? Talk about an over-emotional trigger phrase. When I read it in a post (unless said tongue in cheek), I immediately dismiss the poster as an attention 'ho.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Lowered expectations like this are why Crean kept his job for nine years and Fred still has his.

Reactions: Tegray1
Is there any more maudlin phrase than "how the mighty have fallen"? Talk about an over-emotional trigger phrase. When I read it in a post (unless said tongue in cheek), I immediately dismiss the poster as an attention 'ho.

It depends on where the program is. Considering we haven't won a national title in 32 years, haven't made a final 4 in 17 years, and missed the tourney 7 out of the last 11 years, no it's not a maudlin phrase. Add in the context of the thread where posters claim it's unreasonable to expect an IU coach to make the SW 16, once in 5 years, it's an accurate phrase. We differ on who the "attention ho's"(to borrow your phrase) are.

It's a shame that the basketball program has dropped to the level of the football team where the goal is to finish .500 and get a bowl game. We base our success on making the tournament. or sweet 16. It wasn't that long ago (yes I'm old) we expected or at least hoped for a final 4 or banner each year.
Bet Im older than you and I can say with confidence that expectations mean absolutely nothing. Dream as you will but IU is no longer the class of program that can believe what you believe. We are back at the starting gate....the past is gone...just dust on old banners....we must build one step at a time. By your philosopy we will fire a coach every 3 years and never ever get back off the matt.

Face facts...we are not the IU of the 80's...and may never be again. Ours is a different path...

I think these expectations are a joke also. Should have made the tournament this year. The team performance is 100% on him. I love the people blaming a 19 year old freshmen because the coach can't get his team to play better offense. He needs to make the tournament and win a game next year to be on track.

Read the title? Do you know what the word “progrsssion” f******* means?

Clearly not. God, you guys are like rain clouds hovering over this board all damn day.

STOP

THANK YOU!

So we are now setting the bar lower that Crean?

Put me on ignore if you want me to shut the "f*** up." There isn't any reason to bust my balls over my statement to TR32. I responded to him because he was claiming it was "unreasonable" to expect IU to make at least one SW 16. If TR32 would have left out his first two sentences, "No. Not Reasonable.", I wouldn't have responded to him. I also do understand his point and it does have some merit, but I think his expectations are to low.

Also, at no time is it unreasonable to expect IU to make at least one SW 16 in 5 years. Did IUSCOTT take over your handle?

ya, you can tell i hit my limit last night. again, just seeing this board in year 2 of archie look like this board in year 9 of crean is total crap. that said, Snarls -- you at least add some actual content. my apologies for MY bullshit.

i clearly need a boardcation. lol

Reasonable expectations?
No these are not reasonable expectations, unless you are Purdue. Archie needs to win the big ten by year 5. Crean did it for God's sake. Crean won the big ten in year 5 and was ranked #1 a lot of the year. Your expectations are way too low and you know it. Pathetic

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT