ADVERTISEMENT

Calling on my AOTF camping/travel experts.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Alright douchebags, need some help. Starting to plan the big summer vacation for next year. The family (1 wife, 3 girls ages 7,10,11) would like to check out Yellowstone. We've never been on a camping trip, though we do frequently travel in the mini van on trips such as Florida, South Carolina and last year drove to Colorado.

Since we're driving from Indy we'd like to hit Mt. Rushmore on the way and probably Gran Teton National Park too. We're thinking we'll have about 10 days available for the entire trip.

So we've never taken our girls camping and we really don't own any gear. We're considering the following options:

1) Pack up the mini van, probably need to buy a rooftop carrier, do a couple 2-3 days of camping and the rest stay in the lodges (though I've heard they book up quickly for summer stays)

2) Rent an RV from Indy (if you have suggestions on who to rent from do tell)

3) Fly out west and rent an RV closer to the destination (not sure if this is a dumb idea, but it would save on rental driving miles) We'd probably have to skip Rushmore then.

I'm not sure yet if there's camping outfitters that I can rent all the gear from or if I should invest in the gear myself. Honestly a local camping trip would make a ton of sense to make sure the kids have fun.

So if you have any suggestions or experiences to share I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Some of you may remember contributing to my Colorado trip thread last year. Your suggestions were extremely valuable and we ended up having an amazing trip.

TIA

Alright douchebags, need some help. Starting to plan the big summer vacation for next year. The family (1 wife, 3 girls ages 7,10,11) would like to check out Yellowstone. We've never been on a camping trip, though we do frequently travel in the mini van on trips such as Florida, South Carolina and last year drove to Colorado.

Since we're driving from Indy we'd like to hit Mt. Rushmore on the way and probably Gran Teton National Park too. We're thinking we'll have about 10 days available for the entire trip.

So we've never taken our girls camping and we really don't own any gear. We're considering the following options:

1) Pack up the mini van, probably need to buy a rooftop carrier, do a couple 2-3 days of camping and the rest stay in the lodges (though I've heard they book up quickly for summer stays)

3) Fly out west and rent an RV closer to the destination (not sure if this is a dumb idea, but it would save on rental driving miles) We'd probably have to skip Rushmore then.

I'm not sure yet if there's camping outfitters that I can rent all the gear from or if I should invest in the gear myself. Honestly a local camping trip would make a ton of sense to make sure the kids have fun.

So if you have any suggestions or experiences to share I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Some of you may remember contributing to my Colorado trip thread last year. Your suggestions were extremely valuable and we ended up having an amazing trip.

TIA
Well you can rent a RV and drive it out there. There's a place in Greenwood that does that and another in Noblesville. It can get pretty pricey really quickly though, but with your camping inexperience, that could be the best route for your girls. But there's plenty of RV type of places to camp in the areas that you want to visit so it's kinda nice to just be able to pull in to a spot and hook up water and electric and be done. Personally would suggest something small and the sooner you can set it up the cheaper you can get it. Then just plan your trip and where you want to stay and call and make reservations. Pretty easy.

Reactions: Eppy99
How much camping gear do you really need if you are renting an RV?

I don't really have any great advice....but if you are talking about true camping (in tents), you might want to test that out locally.

You/they may very well hate it.

I think renting a RV for a trip west would be very pricey. If you and your kids are camping newbs this ISN"T the scenario to begin. You will all likely be miserable and have a shitty trip. As twenty02 suggests, dip your toe in the pool locally. Tent camping isn't something you simply take up and make a maiden voyage into bear country.

If you do hit Mount Rushmore, make sure you save enough time to see the Badlands and Custer State Park. Custer is phenomenal; especially the area called "The Needles".

McHoop

You must stay at Riverbend Resort aka Kamp Komfort. I hear it's amazing. Don't cheat yourselves.
03454618-1cda-4555-93ae-b86f7ade0f08.jpg

When you say RV.....are you thinking like a true motor home?

I know you can rent them for a reasonable amount somewhat locally...but likely not for driving it across country. Also, think they get about 5MPG, so have fun with that.

I know you can rent them for a reasonable amount somewhat locally...but likely not for driving it across country. Also, think they get about 5MPG, so have fun with that.
I'm not thinking the large buses. There's a Cruise America Rental in Noblesville. They have a standard size 25' ft with a max capacity of 5 people including driver. For the dates we're looking at in late June/early July they're quoting $1500 with miles not included. Looks like miles are $350 per 1000.

I can opt for a larger 30' ft Rv for only $100 more but I'm sure the mileage is worse.

This is just the first place I've looked at.

Which company is offering that deal? At least part of the miles were included.

I'm not thinking the large buses. There's a Cruise America Rental in Noblesville. They have a standard size 25' ft with a max capacity of 5 people including driver. For the dates we're looking at in late June/early July they're quoting $1500 with miles not included. Looks like miles are $350 per 1000.

I can opt for a larger 30' ft Rv for only $100 more but I'm sure the mileage is worse.

This is just the first place I've looked at.

I would really suggest driving the minivan then staying at lodges/cabins etc. for the first trip.

TIA

Bill Cody Ranch

http://billcodyranch.com/

If you camp outside and a grizzly eats your kids - I told you so.

TIA
I am planning almost exactly the same trip this summer...have done a lot of research /gathering quotes...feel free to email me if you want any info: dedens@cpcsc.k12.in.us

Reactions: Eppy99
I'm not sure a minivan is up to it, but I would rent a pop-up camper to pull. My parents bought a nice used ex-rental pop-up camper and we pulled it from Indiana to Arizona. It was cheaper than 5 people staying in hotels. We called it the Brady Bunch vacation. I'm sure you can rent a trailer locally if you don't intend on camping every year. We took a week to get there, spent a week in Arizona and took a week to get home. We got fast at getting it level, setting it up, and didn't sleep on a cot or the ground.

The nice thing about the camper is you can put all your crap in the trailer and not feel cramped with all the camping supplies you would have to shove in the van. The camper is easy to pull and might be easier than loading the van down with tents, stoves, lanterns, Coleman fuel/charcoal, food, coolers, cots, chairs, and sleeping bags that take up a lot of space.

At least the modern cars won't suffer the altitude sickness our carburetor equipped vehicle did in the late 70's.

We looked at renting a motor home when my daughter was competing in dance competitions and playing AAU basketball. The thought was we could pull up to the location and be within walking distance of the competition sites. The kids would have a place to rest between games/routines. The rental fee and fuel costs didn't scare me, but even the mileage for a nearby event was a deal breaker. I can't imagine what it would cost to go that far with an RV. Flying out there and renting an RV would require buying crap once you got there that you couldn't bring home.

TIA
We flew out west and then rented an RV to drive up the coast of California. We had a really good time, but it made me nervous driving along the cliffs, as I've never had experience driving anything that big. The only advice, it takes a lot longer to get places in an RV. We were really ambitious and had to cut way back. It's a fun way to do it though. Can't remember price, but didn't seem horribly expensive.

TIA

We're pretty much doing the same trip and my homework thus far has taken to me renting an SUV from Enterprise (unlimited mileage) and doing hotels, Air bnb/vrbo and I think I'm looking at a budget of around $2500 just for gas, rental, lodging right now. My trip is going to be more like 12-13 days and we're spending two nights with friends.

I would fly into Bozeman or Missoula and RV it south to Yellowstone/Jackson/Tetons. You could make a big circle and hit Glacier on the way back if you had the time. Western Montana/Yellowstone/Glacier is an amazing region of the country.

I've driven there twice, We did Mt. Rushmore, Custer St. Park and the Badlands. We drove about 6,000 miles over a two week period. Most days we traveled 600 miles or more. Yellowstone is HUGE. You have to drive a lot just to the many places of interest inside the park.
We spent a couple of nights in Old Faithful lodge. It's an amazing structure, but our room had no shower, just a tub. No TV or other amenities that we're used to.
One trip we stayed in a motel in West Yellowstone. The other we stayed in Gardiner Mt. I liked West Yellowstone better.
Be prepared to drive a LOT! I can't stress this enough. It's beautiful country. It's just really spread out!

We've never been on a camping trip, though we do ....

So we've never taken our girls camping and we really don't own any gear.

We're considering the following options:

3)

I'm not sure yet if there's camping outfitters that I can rent all the gear from or if I should invest in the gear myself. Honestly a local camping trip would make a ton of

If you've never done camping with the fam I would at least do a couple trial runs nearby before the 10-day trip

Reactions: 10yrProject
I would really suggest driving the minivan then staying at lodges/cabins etc. for the first trip.
My wife and I did this trip last year. Yellowstone is not a place to try camping for the first time. It's a beautiful vacation, but dial it back. The Lodges are great. There are regular hotel options as well. Mr. Rushmore is worth seeing in person so don't overlook it. Start booking now and enjoy your trip!

My wife and I did this trip last year. Yellowstone is not a place to try camping for the first time. It's a beautiful vacation, but dial it back. The Lodges are great. There are regular hotel options as well. Mr. Rushmore is worth seeing in person so don't overlook it. Start booking now and enjoy your trip!
The problem I've found is the lodges are pretty much booked up for this summer. We want to stay in the park so I think we'll plan this for 2018.

The problem I've found is the lodges are pretty much booked up for this summer. We want to stay in the park so I think we'll plan this for 2018.
That should give you plenty of time to try out camping locally. Pick a weekend when you know it's going to be hot as hell and rain. If you can get through that and come out on the other side your trip will be a breeze. Were I you, I might rent an RV locally and visit a couple of local state parks. Bring a tent too and sleep outside one or two nights on your local trip. That way you'll get a feel for both. If you are sleeping outside remember to cook outside too. Or stay home and order pizza. Who the hell am I to tell you what to do?

TIA
i'm clueless on all your questions, but sounds like a great family adventure, whichever of those you go with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT