ADVERTISEMENT

Call me a crazy optimist, but next year's W/L could really jump!

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
From reading about first four games, take no one for granted, but say we can/should win - 4 & O

Home games: Ohio St, Rutgers, Iowa and Michigan. Absolutely could see 3-1 (7-1)

Away games: Penn State, Michigan State, Maryland, and Purdue. Think could easily go 2-2 or 1-3

Could be looking at 9-3 or 8-4 and I think that is realistic, not dreamy.

THAT would be a story to build on and ink Wilson's extension, along with assistants.

I know it can go south just as easily, but I think IU with a defense is new part of story. Believe the offense will return to form. And if you put the 1% chance Coleman did return with Heisman Hype...this board and program would be jumping.

End strong, recruit well and watch the progress.

After this season, I'm tempering all expectation until end of the season*

When you're even more optimistic than me...

you've got problems vbg. Let's just get 6 and go from there.

From now on

I will never get excited again about IU football until after the season. If we do go 8-3 or 6-6 for that matter I will among the first to lobby to extend Wilson's contract. On the other side another 4-8 record in his fifth season should signal the end of the Wilson era at IU

Anywhere from 4 to 6 wins is possible in my opinion.

Gotta see who the sign in areas of need and spring ball before we can say for sure. Another crapper on a non conference schedule isn't gonna help though.

2-8 wins.....

Take away Coleman from this year's team but keep Sudfeld for every game and what is IU's record? Next year - anything from 2 to 8 wins is possible. It's the probable that worries me.

This post was edited on 12/2 7:45 AM by IUHDog

This post was edited on 12/2 8:26 AM by IUHDog

Seems we say that every year and it never works out. We always lose 1 or 2 in nonconference that we don't expect (Navy, BG, etc...) BIG never goes as well as planned. We never win anything on the road. Love the optimism, but I don't see anywhere near 9 wins-even with Coleman.

We never win anything on the road?

Really? Never? But yes, 9 is a bit much.

Westeren Kentucky and Wake are games we should win but also are games we could lose a lose in either one would make everything tough. Like many of you have very little desire to spend much time on worrying about next year.

Top notch JUCO QB would be required

Maybe a JUCO WR as well. Nate can't be counted on to stay healthy, and on some days he's not very good in any case. There are highly ranked teams with JUCO QBs all over the place, so it can happen. Wilson just needs to close the deal with the right one. His ability to recruit and develop QBs was the number #1 selling point. This year can just be chalked up to bad luck, but if we head into next season with the same stable of QBs that excuse doesn't work again.

Why is it...

that when a player gets injured, he automatically becomes "injury prone" or "not to be counted on to stay healthy"? Has Nate had other season ending injuries that I'm not aware of? He's going to start next year. I would like to get Kelly though.

This post was edited on 12/2 9:55 AM by RBB89

Per all the feedback

So the consensus is basically
-We never do go 4-0 in non-conf
-Let's get to six wins and then see
-Yes that is dreamy

I do admit the 9 wins would mean an offense that is humming, Def continuing to improve and breaks going our way.

But I actually think there should be higher expectations and believe in what can be done. Add improved QB and WR/TE play next year (I think our RB's will perform) and defense we have improved after a year and it's not that crazy far off.

Would I bet the house on it? Not yet. But if we don't have crazy injuries, I think it's a 7 win season minimum.

I also think Wilson & Staff - who seem like the right core group now - are going to surprise people in recruiting this year.

Always best to wait to judge the season when it's over and the recruiting lists until after signing day. I agree. But after going out with a Purdue (our bowl) game win and seeing the improvement on D. I'm convinced IU is much closer than ever to breaking out to the 6-7 "minimum" status to then try to go to the next level.

And my glass of kool aid tasted great!

Cheers

Good point, went too far in calling him injury prone

but he does just appear to be a thin dude and not terribly mobile, so I feel like repeated injury isn't out of the question. My bigger issue with Sudfeld is that he isn't very good, healthy or not.

Re: Top notch JUCO QB would be required

Don't count Zander out. He made great strides in seven weeks. He can run. If he gets some strength and some receivers who can catch the ball, he can be formidable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT