ADVERTISEMENT

California farm labor shortage.

crazed_hoosier2

Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2011
This is an interesting story -- and several thoughts jump out.

(Wine grape grower) Goehring says it’s become more and more difficult to find people to do this work.

“It’s been a real struggle and it’s been increasing the last 5-6 years,” he said.

Goehring is among the growing number of agricultural businessmen in California who have tried a number of strategies to lure workers. From putting ads in the paper to offering benefits- such as health insurance and 401(k)s, Goehring has even increased pay on certain jobs up to $22 an hour.

Really nothing seems to work when you raise your wages, the guy next door raises his—just keeps going up,” he said.
First of all, anybody who ever said that cracking down on illegal immigration wouldn't boost wages for low-skilled work needs to read this story.

Second, Mr. Goehring and his compatriots need to keep going. I imagine that a huge part of his problem here is the cost of living in California. There's a labor market there, I'm sure. There always is. But he's not priced at it yet -- which is why he's having trouble filling his spots. And this just goes to show just how erosive the influx of illegal immigration has been on wages at the lower end.

Third, for everybody who says that we should punish the employers of illegal labor (and, honestly, I have no problem with that), what would you say to people like him? Should he be fined (or worse)?

Fourth, if you ever had any doubt about why there is so much pressure NOT to secure our southern border, read this story and think about it.

(Wine grape grower) Goehring says it’s become more and more difficult to find people to do this work.

“It’s been a real struggle and it’s been increasing the last 5-6 years,” he said.

Goehring is among the growing number of agricultural businessmen in California who have tried a number of strategies to lure workers. From putting ads in the paper to offering benefits- such as health insurance and 401(k)s, Goehring has even increased pay on certain jobs up to $22 an hour.

Really nothing seems to work when you raise your wages, the guy next door raises his—just keeps going up,” he said.
First of all, anybody who ever said that cracking down on illegal immigration wouldn't boost wages for low-skilled work needs to read this story.

Second, Mr. Goehring and his compatriots need to keep going. I imagine that a huge part of his problem here is the cost of living in California. There's a labor market there, I'm sure. There always is. But he's not priced at it yet -- which is why he's having trouble filling his spots. And this just goes to show just how erosive the influx of illegal immigration has been on wages at the lower end.

Third, for everybody who says that we should punish the employers of illegal labor (and, honestly, I have no problem with that), what would you say to people like him? Should he be fined (or worse)?

Fourth, if you ever had any doubt about why there is so much pressure NOT to secure our southern border, read this story and think about it.

Because California is the only state to use illegal labor? I'm sure all the Mexicans I see here in IN during harvest are totally legal. I have no doubt that Farmer John just up the road here does extensive background checks on all of them.

Because California is the only state to use illegal labor? I'm sure all the Mexicans I see here in IN during harvest are totally legal. I have no doubt that Farmer John just up the road here does extensive background checks on all of them.

I'm having a very hard time figuring out what this post means relative to mine.

About the only thing that I said about California specifically was the cost of living almost certainly makes this extraordinarily difficult for the farmers in question. And I suspect that's because the disparity between the going rate for an illegal immigrant and the going rate for a legal farm laborer in California is very wide.

So, no, I certainly didn't mean to suggest that California is the only state where illegal immigrant labor was used.

But I don't think farmers in Indiana would have much problem filling seasonal jobs with legal people at $22/hour plus bennies. The problem is more acute there because of that wider disparity.

Reactions: stollcpa

Expanded legal immigration cannot get traction in the current political environment. Anyone who claims they are against ILLEGAL immigration is called a racist - and the conversation ends.

The assholes who refuse to work toward expanded legal immigration while claiming they are "for the poor" and "for the working man" need to be voted out of office and replaced with less partisan assholes.

There are plenty of folks outside the borders who want to come here, live here, work here, become "American", etc. Maybe we need a policy whereby, for every illegal immigrant we deport, we expand legal immigration numbers by 50. Better yet, for every new legal immigrant we bring in, lets deport a snowflake! Or 50! (I know some recent Notre Dame graduates looking to leave the country.)

Expanded legal immigration cannot get traction in the current political environment. Anyone who claims they are against ILLEGAL immigration is called a racist - and the conversation ends.

The assholes who refuse to work toward expanded legal immigration while claiming they are "for the poor" and "for the working man" need to be voted out of office and replaced with less partisan assholes.

There are plenty of folks outside the borders who want to come here, live here, work here, become "American", etc. Maybe we need a policy whereby, for every illegal immigrant we deport, we expand legal immigration numbers by 50. Better yet, for every new legal immigrant we bring in, lets deport a snowflake! Or 50! (I know some recent Notre Dame graduates looking to leave the country.)

You're funny when you get on a rant. :>)

I'm having a very hard time figuring out what this post means relative to mine.

About the only thing that I said about California specifically was the cost of living almost certainly makes this extraordinarily difficult for the farmers in question. And I suspect that's because the disparity between the going rate for an illegal immigrant and the going rate for a legal farm laborer in California is very wide.

So, no, I certainly didn't mean to suggest that California is the only state where illegal immigrant labor was used.

But I don't think farmers in Indiana would have much problem filling seasonal jobs with legal people at $22/hour plus bennies. The problem is more acute there because of that wider disparity.

The GOP immigration proposals in the recent past have always included more lenient requirements for immigrant work permits. That kinda gets lost in the shuffle with the only partisan yelling and screaming being about illegal immigrants who may or may not want a work permit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT