ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Furst

I am thinking big picture. If we can land instate bigs like TJD and or Brooks then we will have a good shot at Furst. Does he remind anyone of Cody? I was looking at the way he runs the floor and his skill set.
He’s better than Cody at that age. Cody made big strides every year though. We’ll see if this kid does the same and if he grows 2 or 3 more inches.

Reactions: ORG
Saw him play once last year. Really advanced. Never thought of Cody. He is left-handed I believe. Big-time talent at a small school. Couldn't believe his team didn't win state. Wish he played at a bigger school to play against better competition. Very fluid.

I am thinking big picture. If we can land instate bigs like TJD and or Brooks then we will have a good shot at Furst. Does he remind anyone of Cody? I was looking at the way he runs the floor and his skill set.

Our coach here for the Hatchets said last year on the radio.The Hopf kid from Forrest Park reminded him of a young Cody...Laughable. .
I'll get look at him the Holiday Tournament at North Daviess. This year..
Brooks & TJD aren't as good as Cody coming into their senior year ..Imo.

Our coach here for the Hatchets said last year on the radio.The Hopf kid from Forrest Park reminded him of a young Cody...Laughable. .
You’re crazy

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Dude! Jackson-Davis is a beast. He is every bit as good as Cody was. They play different as Davis is a true center. Brooks was going head to head with Langford when I saw him play and really got killed.

Reactions: IUgradman
TjD is super dependent on going left.And needs to work on a mid range jumper.
Probably a better dunker. Yes..
Overall no..
If dunking was all there was.
Zion would be greatest high school player ever coming in.
I get a kick out fans when someone has different opinion about a player they're in love with. .Im not saying TJD and Brooks aren't good ..I want them in Bloomington badly also.
But I told people Anthony Davis was better in high school than Cody.They flipped out especially since he was going to UK..He's better pro also.Jmo.

Overall no..
I get a kick out fans when someone has different opinion about a player they're in love with. .Im not saying TJD and Brooks aren't good ..I want them in Bloomington badly also.
But I told people Anthony Davis was better in high school than Cody.They flipped out especially since he was going to UK..He's better pro also.Jmo.
The guy wanted to know how he stood up to Cody when Cody was his age. I couldn’t believe big time schools were offering Cody his sophomore year. He looked more like s UE player to me but then the following year...well that’s a different story. He made a big jump

Overall no..

Saying AD is/was a better player than Cody is not an opinion.

Caleb Furst has 3 more years to grow and develop in HS. As a HS Freshman he was already very skilled and developed. Better to get in on Furst early for if he keeps developing he could rise even higher in the rankings in the next 3 years, and have far more teams recruiting him then.

Cody was an amazing college player and a top five NBA draft pick who is making $14 million/year. He stepped right in to IU and didn’t miss a beat. That is a high bar for any player to meet.

Hey I'm for IU all day ! Every day !
I hope we get all of them and keep this momentum rolln'.
Go Hoosiers !

I saw Cody play a lot in high school. Caleb is more physically filled out. Seems to have a better skill set at this point. I saw Trayce play a few times and it seems his high school coach puts him on the side of the floor that makes him go left. Cody did ok without a jumper didn’t he?

Reactions: IUforver and ORG
I saw Cody play a lot in high school. Caleb is more physically filled out. Seems to have a better skill set at this point. I saw Trayce play a few times and it seems his high school coach puts him on the side of the floor that makes him go left. Cody did ok without a jumper didn’t he?
he had a jumper in high school though

Could have used the jumper in the Cuse game. He received the ball at the free throw line many times, and instead of squaring up and hitting that shot (which would loosen up the zone), instead he put his head down and took it straight into their bigs, which did not work.

Could have used the jumper in the Cuse game. He received the ball at the free throw line many times, and instead of squaring up and hitting that shot (which would loosen up the zone), instead he put his head down and took it straight into their bigs, which did not work.
Yeah, that was really perplexing to to me. It's definitely a shot he can hit, Crean must've told him not to shoot it or something. Either way that game was just an unmitigated disaster that I would rather just forget.

Yep. It was all the more frustrating to watch Michigan effectively employ the elbow jumper a week later with Mitch McGary, when I think Cody had a much better jumper and would have been even more effective in that role. Completely neutralized what should have been a strength of our roster.

Yep. It was all the more frustrating to watch Michigan effectively employ the elbow jumper a week later with Mitch McGary, when I think Cody had a much better jumper and would have been even more effective in that role. Completely neutralized what should have been a strength of our roster.

it was the game that made me realize CTC was not going to be the long term answer. Cuse was a bad matchup because of their length on on the wings (tough for our two awesome but barely 6 foot tall guards to shoot over), but it was apparent before we made it to the first TV timeout that we were screwed. It wasn't that we lost, it was the fact that it was obvious that we were going to lose from about the 18:30 point in the first half. That should never be the case with #1 seeds. Ok, 'nuff said on that topic. Looking forward to this new season that is about to begin.

it was the game that made me realize CTC was not going to be the long term answer. Cuse was a bad matchup because of their length on on the wings (tough for our two awesome but barely 6 foot tall guards to shoot over), but it was apparent before we made it to the first TV timeout that we were screwed. It wasn't that we lost, it was the fact that it was obvious that we were going to lose from about the 18:30 point in the first half. That should never be the case with #1 seeds. Ok, 'nuff said on that topic. Looking forward to this new season that is about to begin.

Got a really bad feeling about that game even before tip-off just from watching the pre-game sideline huddle - Players seemed very sedate and unenergetic.

Also, Syracuse extends their zone further away from the basket. Always a soft spot behind it near the baseline. Saw many teams drive with their guards and kick to a big in that spot. Of course we didn’t do that either.

Also, Syracuse extends their zone further away from the basket. Always a soft spot behind it near the baseline. Saw many teams drive with their guards and kick to a big in that spot. Of course we didn’t do that either.

IU was coached like a team that was amazingly ill-prepared to play against Syracuse in that game. It wasn't that IU looked like it had never seen a zone before -- it seemed that they had been coached to attack the zone incorrectly (which is even worse than being unprepared). It was bad.

If I had to see cody catch the ball, drop his head, and dribble into trouble under the basket again.... The very definition of insanity.

I had a bad feeling as we entered the tourney. It seemed like Crean had the team peaking in mid-February and they were on a downward slide after that.
yep we peaked at MSU....dodged a bullet in Ann Arbor (miracle Burke's shot didn't fall), did our typical one-and-out in the B10 tourney vs Bucky, then almost got knocked out before the first weekend was over. We were on borrowed time.

Reactions: IUgradman and kkott
I assumed this was in jest at first, but now it seems it wasn't.

Yes the mythical Cody jumper that he never showed us in College, and still keeps to himself in the NBA.

Still doesn't mean he didn't have it. Didn't he win or finish 2nd in the 3 pt contest at HH one year? And I think took a reasonable # of 3s in high school; or was purported to. I believe he had it, but just wasn't comfortable shooting it for whatever reason in games. I live in Charlotte and continue to hope he'll show more on the offensive end, but for whatever reason, he's not comfortable as a scorer, even though I believe he's capable.

Joe Hillman was a 44 ppg scorer in high school with a lot of 3s made, but rarely took them in games at IU. I can attest from guarding him several times at the HPER that his range went out to 22' easily. Rarely saw it in games... of course he didn't have me defending him in his games!

Still doesn't mean he didn't have it. Didn't he win or finish 2nd in the 3 pt contest at HH one year? And I think took a reasonable # of 3s in high school; or was purported to. I believe he had it, but just wasn't comfortable shooting it for whatever reason in games. I live in Charlotte and continue to hope he'll show more on the offensive end, but for whatever reason, he's not comfortable as a scorer, even though I believe he's capable.

Joe Hillman was a 44 ppg scorer in high school with a lot of 3s made, but rarely took them in games at IU. I can attest from guarding him several times at the HPER that his range went out to 22' easily. Rarely saw it in games... of course he didn't have me defending him in his games!

He doesn't have it, because if he did, he would hit them in NBA games since his livelihood depends on it and everything.

Even if he did have a mid-range game or jumper that he was holding back, is it a good idea to have him start utilizing it for the 1st time in a Sweet 16 game against a quirky zone defense?

High School, Hoosier Hysteria, and the HPER are not good examples. I'm sure Cody's jumper is much better when facing little or no defense.

I think some of it was Cody's natural unselfishness, but certainly seems Crean discouraged him from shooting or working on the mid range jumper. Seemed that was one of his strengths in HS. I don't understand why Crean didn't believe in screens away from the ball with some of the shooters he had....or position D....

I think some of it was Cody's natural unselfishness, but certainly seems Crean discouraged him from shooting or working on the mid range jumper. Seemed that was one of his strengths in HS. I don't understand why Crean didn't believe in screens away from the ball with some of the shooters he had....or position D....
At the very least it wasn't something that Crean spent much time helping him develop. I played against cody in an AAU tournament in 8th grade. He was playing point guard at that time (hadn't hit his growth spurt yet) and he was draining jumpers all over the place. He was a really solid free throw shooter for his size at IU. Always had a really good stroke as well l, it just never seemed like something they emphasized enough while he was here.

Reactions: IUgradman
He doesn't have it, because if he did, he would hit them in NBA games since his livelihood depends on it and everything.

Even if he did have a mid-range game or jumper that he was holding back, is it a good idea to have him start utilizing it for the 1st time in a Sweet 16 game against a quirky zone defense?

High School, Hoosier Hysteria, and the HPER are not good examples. I'm sure Cody's jumper is much better when facing little or no defense.

You don't think Cody, as the best player on his high school team, was defended? I have a little more faith that the other team's coaches knew about him and tried to devise ways to stop him. I just don't think Cody sees himself as a primary scorer and defers to teammates. In the NBA most guys can score effectively and were probably the leading scorers on their teams through college. And I think Hillman is a great example, because there's no doubt he was a capable shooter and scorer out beyond the 3 pt line, but again, he jut wasn't as comfortable or confident taking those shots in games.... same as Cody!

You don't think Cody, as the best player on his high school team, was defended? I have a little more faith that the other team's coaches knew about him and tried to devise ways to stop him. I just don't think Cody sees himself as a primary scorer and defers to teammates. In the NBA most guys can score effectively and were probably the leading scorers on their teams through college. And I think Hillman is a great example, because there's no doubt he was a capable shooter and scorer out beyond the 3 pt line, but again, he jut wasn't as comfortable or confident taking those shots in games.... same as Cody!

So effectively Cody is mental midget, who psyche's himself out of shooting jumpers, even though he can hit them at an efficient rate?

A current player may become more impactful.

12-20
27-9
29-7
17-15

29-35 immediately before and after him
56-16 with him

He did so many little things that impacted winning. Trust me, I hated Cream and became an anti fan and Cody was the most frustrating player to watch when you want them to lose. From flopping (he nearly fouled out almost every major post player he played against from Sullinger to McDummy to Meyers Leonard to Anthony Davis), to screening (remember the screen vs Kentucky on the Watt shot), to breaking out on rebounds for easy transition layups, to grabbing and passing the ball to the refs after made shots so the opponent couldn't quickly inbound the ball...he played like with an IQ that was unbelievable, and fun to watch. Remember Meyers Leonard throwing him down on a fast break out of frustration? Of course Zeller landed two football fields away as he sold it.

No modern IU player has impacted winning like he did.

I love TJD...but I would take Cody 1000 times out of 1000 over him going into their senior years.

Zeller would foul TJD out by the half.

Zeller was one of our best post players, probably THE best post player and recruit since Jeffries in 2000.

I've never seen a player impact winning as much as Zeller did.
TJD would not have the mental lapse Cody did against Illini on last second play. TJD will be better all-around player and I like Cody. He was special but not Jeffries special.

So effectively Cody is mental midget, who psyche's himself out of shooting jumpers, even though he can hit them at an efficient rate?

I think that's harsh, but I do think it's probably frustrating as a Coach to watch him make shots in practice and not take them in games. He's just a team player who still contributes in many other ways. He's currently Charlotte's starting center. He's got a new Coach this year so maybe he'll bring it out in him. He's a Pop disciple, and if anyone could, I think it would be Pop.

Cody’s jumper in high school was just decent. I thought Tyler’s if he was set first was better but he didn’t develop much from outside either. He’s never been afraid of a 15 footer though.

ADVERTISEMENT