ADVERTISEMENT

Calbert Cheaney

Indiana must get it right this time no swings and misses. We need proven winners who have shown they can build programs at multiple places.

1.Chris Beard
2.Bruce Pearl
3.Steve Alford
4.Buzz Williams
5. Jamie Dixion
Thad Matta, John Belien, and Greg Marshall are available free agents as we say would be great hires.
Bruce Pearl will win. He got into trouble and that set his career back-maybe ten plus years ago. I do not remember what he did. I do not want another Kelvin Samson so if we hire him I hope we watch closer this time.
Regarding Alford, he was great at Manchester college and then SE Missouri State. However since then (Iowa, New Mexico, UCLA) not so much. I don’t think he brings a recruit advantage either. Today’s Indiana kids won’t remember a guy from the 80s and kids outside Indiana would be even less impressed.
jmo

Because that’s worked out so well with Sampson, Crean, Miller.

Well hell, that settles it then. Whether it was the gravel alleys of the east side, the asphalt courts of Brookside Park, inside the garage on the 9 foot dunk rim at my school mate's house in Irvington or in the sack, I'm a flippin' Indiana basketball legend (at least in my own mind). Better yet, I don't have a lick of coaching experience at any level in any sport. Where do I sign up for the IU coaching gig? vbseg

That’s true, but IU isn’t a low or mid major. It’s a top 5 all time program. We aren’t going to hire someone without head coaching experience. Mike Davis was only hired because they hoped he learned from Knight how to coach. It was a mistake.
Dude . . .

Trying to understand how badly you missed on your interpretation of why Davis was hired. You obviously didn’t have any familiarity with IU basketball then.
Well as I was 8, you are correct. Regardless, IU will never hire a coach without head coaching experience again. Clearly there were special circumstances with Davis.

"Way off"??!! Relevance (besides your anger)? RMK was given the whip at a practice where they joked with it & he brought it to the press conference later that day talking about it. In practice Cheaney bent over & pulled his shorts down some & RMK lightly hit him with it (i.e. 'used' it) & RMK stated it was a better motivation tool than anything he has had. From what i remember Cheaney said he & some teammates bought it on a road trip while shopping together, they saw it & thought it was perfect for RMK as he would get a kick out of it, they understood his sense of humor. To further make light of the situation, to show it was not a big deal to the players, Cheaney flipped RMK with a towel.

So you do remember it accurately. Guess you must have your reasons for lying about it earlier in this thread.

Howard may be "iconic" in your mind, but only a good player in mine. You are building Howard up to the level of Magic or Larry Bird those are "iconic" players, not Howard.
Howard got the Michigan job because of who he is. Calbert doesn’t have the same resume. End of story.

There was a lot of hype with the Fab 5 no doubt. But they won nothing. There are no championships in any way connected with them. Calbert is black too. All he did was score more than any other player. I loved it when he broke Alford's record. He said, "sorry Steve". lol

Lets be fair though , Alford had the 3 point shot one yr vs Cheaney 4 . If Steve had 3 available all four years he would be ahead in points.

Well for one, he has no head coaching experience.
I am a basketball fan, I post on a variety of forums but I grew up with my neighbors in Ohio being massive Hoosier fans. Calvert Cheney sounds like he has a future in coaching but yeah, doesn’t he need a head-coaching stent somewhere significant enough to prove his ability to coach at a very high level? Having some experience in St. Louis makes me wonder why not coach in the Atlantic 10 somewhere as they seem to have a pretty decent coaching carousel from time to time. Or like Anthony Grant at University of Dayton, why not at a P5 league with a not so powerful school like Alabama? I seem to work well for Anthony Grant. With the experience he has gotten as a assistant coach, his ties to the program, and his ability to relate to players from his past playing experience maybe he could be a very good head coach someday

Reactions: TrojanFan004
So you do remember it accurately. Guess you must have your reasons for lying about it earlier in this thread.
Wow, you're an angry little man, probably another one of those trolls feeling powerful behind a keyboard. I did not lie in either post. Good luck to you & hope you find peace other than trying to push other's buttons being an A... (BTW this is supposed to be a forum for IU BB fans, to discuss, not throw hate).

Wow, you're an angry little man, probably another one of those trolls feeling powerful behind a keyboard. I did not lie in either post. Good luck to you & hope you find peace other than trying to push other's buttons being an A... (BTW this is supposed to be a forum for IU BB fans, to discuss, not throw hate).

You were making a thinly veiled anti-Knight post, playing fast and loose with the facts and being sensationalistic. You’re just upset you got called on it.

But that's not why he was kept past year 1. He should've been fired right after the Kent St debacle and a real coach hired.
Why then? He clearly wasn’t the guy but why not do a coaching search. He recruited well early(on paper) was loved by his players. Clearly you must’ve been in the room when the decision was made.

Why then? He clearly wasn’t the guy but why not do a coaching search. He recruited well early(on paper) was loved by his players. Clearly you must’ve been in the room when the decision was made.

I've heard enough from people over the years who were actually in the room or clearly in the know. It had nothing to do with Mike's coaching ability or the lack of top notch candidates wanting the job because there were plenty. It was pure politics and external factors. Here's a hint...Cora Breckenridge.

You were making a thinly veiled anti-Knight post, playing fast and loose with the facts and being sensationalistic. You’re just upset you got called on it.
Absolutely not true, sarcasm at best towards the current cancel culture, but maybe reading correctly isn't strength for you, maybe a new skill. You shouldn't let the anger in your heart be misdirected trying to read between the lines of a post & mistakenly attacking somenone. From what appears to be consistency in your posts, you couldn't be more wrong. I am a huge RMK fan, have a framed photo of him in my office I received as a gift from someone who knows what a big fan I am. I have no issue with the 'incident' in question, back then as well as today if it happened. It was a joke between players and their coach & shouldn't have mattered what race the players were as many stated back in '92, that it would have been fine if it were Nover getting swatted not Cheaney. Put away this bullying hate you feel the need to place on others incorrectly & overcompensate for what your missing in some other way. GO IU!

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT