ADVERTISEMENT

Calbert Cheaney

Brockettman

Freshman
Mar 6, 2020
Just wondering if Calbert would be considered for the head coaching job at IU some day . He has been an assistant at IU , and St. Louis . Now he is an assistant with the Pacers . He played in the NBA , and was a great player at IU . He has never been a head coach that I know of , but neither was Howard at Michigan and he seems to be doing fine . Calbert was , and is a class act , plus he played for Coach Knight . I'm sure he learned a few things from COACH . People keep throwing out names of coaches , so I thought I would put my 2 cents in .

Reactions: vesuvius13
HC? Uh no.
I gave my reasons why I thought Calbert might make a good coach , you said no . I respect that you might not agree , but would you give some reasons why not . I'm not trying to start one of those threads that turns into name calling or a pissing match , just interested in hearing your reasoning . You might have really good reason for your opinion .

I gave my reasons why I thought Calbert might make a good coach , you said no . I respect that you might not agree , but would you give some reasons why not . I'm not trying to start one of those threads that turns into name calling or a pissing match , just interested in hearing your reasoning . You might have really good reason for your opinion .
Well for one, he has no head coaching experience.

Being part of the fab 5 really helped make Howard famous . He also had the best career of that group . However neither Howard or Cheaney won a national championship .

Has he ever expressed the desire to be the head coach. Perhaps he enjoys coaching but not the pr, recruiting and overall administrative asks that come with being a head coach?
Idk? All I know is he will never be IU’s head coach unless he first gets head coaching success.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Has he ever expressed the desire to be the head coach. Perhaps he enjoys coaching but not the pr, recruiting and overall administrative asks that come with being a head coach?
He nearly became head coach at Evansville. But they made the disastrous choice of Walter McCarty instead.

Reactions: BaxterIU
He nearly became head coach at Evansville. But they made the disastrous choice of Walter McCarty instead.
I’ve heard UE is not in great shape as an institution. Also understand the Ford Center lease is a financial albatross for the University. USI, on the other hand, is apparently thriving?

I’ve heard UE is not in great shape as an institution. Also understand the Ford Center lease is a financial albatross for the University. USI, on the other hand, is apparently thriving?
UE and USI both having enrollment issues. I could go into a lit more detail but this really isn't the place. The "college" experience in the US is going to change drastically in the next 10 years more than likely.

UE and USI both having enrollment issues. I could go into a lit more detail but this really isn't the place. The "college" experience in the US is going to change drastically in the next 10 years more than likely.
Don’t disagree about where college is possibly headed in the digital world, but my understanding is that USI is on much more solid footing than UE in about every meaningful way.

Don’t disagree about where college is possibly headed in the digital world, but my understanding is that USI is on much more solid footing than UE in about every meaningful way.
Probably are. They are 4 times the size. But attendance is still down in undergraduate area. Right now, graduate enrollment is helping but for how long? I think they are at some where of 9000 students now, down from about 10,500 a few years ago. Their 2025 goal then was 15,000, but trends are showing half that. Universities are big businesses, all about faculty to student ratio and credit hours being paid for. UE is heading towards cuts to right the ship, but who knows. Times are a-changin.

Probably are. They are 4 times the size. But attendance is still down in undergraduate area. Right now, graduate enrollment is helping but for how long? I think they are at some where of 9000 students now, down from about 10,500 a few years ago. Their 2025 goal then was 15,000, but trends are showing half that. Universities are big businesses, all about faculty to student ratio and credit hours being paid for. UE is heading towards cuts to right the ship, but who knows. Times are a-changin.
Yes, they are. The path to “free” education is via online offerings, and many will spend part or all of their college years going to class in their bedroom, basement, coffee shop or other venue with WiFi and an open seat. Brick and mortar will likely always exist, as university research missions endure. But the debt associated with higher education is unbearable for many, and the value of such a burden is simply too low for a great number of people.

Yes, they are. The path to “free” education is via online offerings, and many will spend part or all of their college years going to class in their bedroom, basement, coffee shop or other venue with WiFi and an open seat. Brick and mortar will likely always exist, as university research missions endure. But the debt associated with higher education is unbearable for many, and the value of such a burden is simply too low for a great number of people.
You sir, are 100% correct. I'm starting to feel like the old man in UP and I'm not even 40 yet.

You sir, are 100% correct. I'm starting to feel like the old man in UP and I'm not even 40 yet.
With reduced funding from the states, every public institution is now aggressively pursuing out of state kids who are willing to pay the freight to come to state U. It’s why admissions for local kids are so competitive and out of staters get in at a much higher clip.

UE is losing $3M/year and is in the midst of a battle royale over the proposed elimination of 17 majors and 3 full departments.

A few years ago, Mitch Daniels said something to the effect that, if you are a college or university and you don't have an endowment that stretches out to 11 figures, you'd better start putting together a plan of how to adjust your costs to a rapidly changing higher education sector. Simply put, the value proposition of many (not all) college degrees has gotten out of whack.

As you guys allude to above, it's certainly true that various online endeavors are impacting the legacy brick-and-mortar institutions. And that doesn't seem likely to slow down. But, even apart from that, the reality is that a whole lot of college degrees simply don't make financial sense anymore (if they ever did). And this has only been exacerbated by skyrocketing tuitions and fees.

Just wondering if Calbert would be considered for the head coaching job at IU some day . He has been an assistant at IU , and St. Louis . Now he is an assistant with the Pacers . He played in the NBA , and was a great player at IU . He has never been a head coach that I know of , but neither was Howard at Michigan and he seems to be doing fine . Calbert was , and is a class act , plus he played for Coach Knight . I'm sure he learned a few things from COACH . People keep throwing out names of coaches , so I thought I would put my 2 cents in .
Not sure he wants that. If the cancel culture is live at IU, he would get whipped, I mean attacked, over not taking offense for RMK using the special gift he received on Cheaney during that famous press conference (although it was Cheaney who gave RMK that whip after a road trip).

Reactions: Crayfish57
Juwan Howard an icon? You can’t be serious. He was a good, not great player in college and the pros. Cal was a great college player BTW.
Do you not realize how iconic the Fab 5 were? Then went on to a 20 year NBA career with 2 championships and an All Star appearance. Kids all over the country knew who Howard was growing up.

UE is losing $3M/year and is in the midst of a battle royale over the proposed elimination of 17 majors and 3 full departments.

A few years ago, Mitch Daniels said something to the effect that, if you are a college or university and you don't have an endowment that stretches out to 11 figures, you'd better start putting together a plan of how to adjust your costs to a rapidly changing higher education sector. Simply put, the value proposition of many (not all) college degrees has gotten out of whack.

As you guys allude to above, it's certainly true that various online endeavors are impacting the legacy brick-and-mortar institutions. And that doesn't seem likely to slow down. But, even apart from that, the reality is that a whole lot of college degrees simply don't make financial sense anymore (if they ever did). And this has only been exacerbated by skyrocketing tuitions and fees.
The goal of many universities used to be to provide a well rounded education focusing on the physical and social sciences, the languages, education, mathematics and economics, business and commerce, engineering, agriculture, etc. Singular disciplines (for those who wanted or “needed“ that level of training / instruction) tended to be for graduate school. No more.

For many, college isn’t a place to go “learn”, it’s a place to go get trained for a job / career (learning be damned). It’s how a university can produce graduates from highly acclaimed departments or majors who, nonetheless, cannot construct a simple sentence free of grammatical errors. That has, of course, evolved over decades, but many schools will either adapt to the new reality (as outlined by MD and many others) or fail.

The goal of many universities used to be to provide a well rounded education focusing on the physical and social sciences, the languages, education, mathematics and economics, business and commerce, engineering, agriculture, etc. Singular disciplines (for those who wanted or “needed“ that level of training / instruction) tended to be for graduate school. No more.

For many, college isn’t a place to go “learn”, it’s a place to go get trained for a job / career (learning be damned). It’s how a university can produce graduates from highly acclaimed departments or majors who, nonetheless, cannot construct a simple sentence free of grammatical errors. That has, of course, evolved over decades, but many schools will either adapt to the new reality (as outlined by MD and many others) or fail.

The former model worked fine — or seemed to, anyway — when the financial calculations weren’t so lopsided. But, for lots of reasons, the spiraling cost of higher education has made it a very costly decision to get many kinds of degrees that simply don’t carry a rational value in today’s job marketplace.

We’re going to be seeing a lot more of the kinds of reckonings that UE is currently having to face.

The former model worked fine — or seemed to, anyway — when the financial calculations weren’t so lopsided. But, for lots of reasons, the spiraling cost of higher education has made it a very costly decision to get many kinds of degrees that simply don’t carry a rational value in today’s job marketplace.

We’re going to be seeing a lot more of the kinds of reckonings that UE is currently having to face.
Agree on all points. Schools will get squeezed by both de lying enrollments as well as dwindling endowments. A number will implode.

With reduced funding from the states, every public institution is now aggressively pursuing out of state kids who are willing to pay the freight to come to state U. It’s why admissions for local kids are so competitive and out of staters get in at a much higher clip.

As things go more online, as they will, it's really going to bite IU and Bloomington. Without that out of state money, you'll see a ton of these 3K a month apartments go bankrupt and no more kids driving super cars around town. On the other hand, it may run a bunch of bad restaurants out of business and free up affordable housing from all the scum that bought it up long ago for rental property

As things go more online, as they will, it's really going to bite IU and Bloomington. Without that out of state money, you'll see a ton of these 3K a month apartments go bankrupt and no more kids driving super cars around town. On the other hand, it may run a bunch of bad restaurants out of business and free up affordable housing from all the scum that bought it up long ago for rental property
As long as there is an abundance of money to be loaned, schools like IU will probably do pretty well. Smaller, private schools with a liberal arts focus are the ones that will begin to struggle, unless they’re bolstered by a perpetual, robust fundraising apparatus. Without that, they’ll ultimately perish.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Yes. Sad reflection on our society.

I would agree with that.

TrojanFan is certainly right -- the Fab 5 is widely remembered. And, really, it deserves the same kind of memory that Lance Armstrong and Bernie Madoff have: to be remembered as frauds that were, for a time, successful. Most serious college basketball fans know that the Fab Five was a paid for scam. But many people who weren't around then or didn't pay attention probably don't know that.

Indiana must get it right this time no swings and misses. We need proven winners who have shown they can build programs at multiple places.

1.Chris Beard
2.Bruce Pearl
3.Steve Alford
4.Buzz Williams
5. Jamie Dixion
Thad Matta, John Belien, and Greg Marshall are available free agents as we say would be great hires.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT