ADVERTISEMENT

Calbert Cheaney

Indiana must get it right this time no swings and misses. We need proven winners who have shown they can build programs at multiple places.

1.Chris Beard
2.Bruce Pearl
3.Steve Alford
4.Buzz Williams
5. Jamie Dixion
Thad Matta, John Belien, and Greg Marshall are available free agents as we say would be great hires.
There is no “this time” at this time.

Reactions: Davehack
No one has HC experience until they get their first HC job
That’s true, but IU isn’t a low or mid major. It’s a top 5 all time program. We aren’t going to hire someone without head coaching experience. Mike Davis was only hired because they hoped he learned from Knight how to coach. It was a mistake.

Howard built quite reputation as an NBA assistant. He was highly thought of in the NBA. If Calbert builds his resume as an NBA asst. like Howard built his then I think he will have a shot. Howard did not get that Michigan job just built on being Juwon Howard. I don't think will be at Michigan long. The NBA will come calling.

Reactions: kkott
Not sure he wants that. If the cancel culture is live at IU, he would get whipped, I mean attacked, over not taking offense for RMK using the special gift he received on Cheaney during that famous press conference (although it was Cheaney who gave RMK that whip after a road trip).

Your memory of this is way off. That “road trip” was the thrashing of UCLA in the Elite Eight. Also RMK never actually “used” the whip on anyone. He posed with it with Cheaney during a practice.

Your memory of this is way off. That “road trip” was the thrashing of UCLA in the Elite Eight. Also RMK never actually “used” the whip on anyone. He posed with it with Cheaney during a practice.
and it pissed off Ted Valentine...who already thought he was partially responsible for giving RMK his 3rd title by swallowing his whistle late in the 3OT game up in Madison (which ultimately secured IU's #1 seed in the MW). Ted was furious over the RMK whip stunt, and took that hostility into the IU-Duke semifinal the next Saturday....and the rest is history.

Edit- is was really the presser that RMK did with the whip, and going on about what a great motivational tool is was- that really pissed off TV Ted.

Last edited:
He’s a former NBA all star and 2 time NBA champion.
I've always love Juwan's game, going back to his UM days when he showed some of the best low post moves I've seen.
that said...calling him a '2 time NBA champion' always rubs me wrong...while it is accurate...it's like saying Jerry Sichting is an "NBA champion'. He does have a ring...but not because he's Jerry Sichting. That ring should say "Bird and McHale" on it.

Bill Wennington is a 3 time NBA champion. Bill Wennington.

I will give Jerry credit for going after Ralph Sampson. Little man with some big balls.

all that said...I don't want to see Calbert as IU's coach. Or Steve. They have great IU legacies. I want to keep it that way. Sad that much of the young players today don't really even know who Calbert is....aside from the top scorer in B1G history. I think he would struggle in the recruiting world and take several yrs to establish himself. I don't think our fanbase is wiling to wait that long for anyone right now.

and it pissed off Ted Valentine...who already thought he was partially responsible for giving RMK his 3rd title by swallowing his whistle late in the 3OT game up in Madison (which ultimately secured IU's #1 seed in the MW). Ted was furious over the RMK whip stunt, and took that hostility into the IU-Duke semifinal the next Saturday....and the rest is history.

Edit- is was really the presser that RMK did with the whip, and going on about what a great motivational tool is was- that really pissed off TV Ted.
BK never understood that there’s a time and place for most everything. He believed the whip thing was an incredibly clever display of humor, but most people understood that it could be viewed as offensive. TV wanted to be center stage, and he and BK were instant adversaries, but the whip thing could’ve been avoided had BK understood that not everyone would find it funny.

In the college game Calbert is the all time leading scorer for the B1G. He has two B1G Titles. In college what did Howard win? Are you talking about their NBA careers? It is true Howard played longer and did better.
Let me ask you this. Do you think kids coming into college the last few years knew who Juwan Howard was? Do you think they know who Calbert was? Indiana kids may know who Calbert is, but Howard was known nationally. Culturally the Fab 5 were huge with people of color.

BK never understood that there’s a time and place for most everything. He believed the whip thing was an incredibly clever display of humor, but most people understood that it could be viewed as offensive. TV wanted to be center stage, and he and BK were instant adversaries, but the whip thing could’ve been avoided had BK understood that not everyone would find it funny.
I agree, I also think BK didn't see it as a racial issue because I don't think he thought that way. Didn't the seniors get the whip for him? He would be crucified today without a doubt . Whatever the reasons, TV Ted should have never reffed another game

Let me ask you this. Do you think kids coming into college the last few years knew who Juwan Howard was? Do you think they know who Calbert was? Indiana kids may know who Calbert is, but Howard was known nationally. Culturally the Fab 5 were huge with people of color.
Hard to say, funny some of his best players over 2 years are white. He was a different personality on that MI team , he wasnt really like the rest of the fab 5 that much, always seemed more grounded . maybe he is just a good coach?

Hard to say, funny some of his best players over 2 years are white. He was a different personality on that MI team , he wasnt really like the rest of the fab 5 that much, always seemed more grounded . maybe he is just a good coach?
Dickinson is the only player he recruited that fits that description. Wagner was a Beilein recruit.

How do you know this?

Indiana must get it right this time no swings and misses. We need proven winners who have shown they can build programs at multiple places.

1.Chris Beard
2.Bruce Pearl
3.Steve Alford
4.Buzz Williams
5. Jamie Dixion
Thad Matta, John Belien, and Greg Marshall are available free agents as we say would be great hires.

Really, Alford at #3?

Reactions: BaxterIU
How do you know this?
which part? The bullwhip event?
I can do the research again if you want but don't have time now. But this info is out there. I didn't make it up, I have read it more than once.

As for the Wisky game....it's been documented many times. Ted even wrote a letter to Steve Yoder apologizing for missing a call late in the game.

Really, Alford at #3?

Seems that the swing thru Texas missed out on Scott Drew and Becky hammon. I don't particularly like Drew but he seems to be a solid coach and always overachieves at Baylor. He gets recruits and they play tough physical basketball. They'd be foolish to offer Becky because she would say no. Her dream is in NBA it seems. Imagine trying to make her the first women's coach for NCAAM and she turns them down.

For now sticking with Archie because slow as it may be I think he's making progress

yes, Knight was very myopic on the bullwhip issue. And considering Ted was calling the next game, some very bad timing as well. Duke was already in the bonus 6 min into the second half. Only game ever that say Cheaney, Henderson, Bailey and G Graham all foul out. Throw in the phantom technical foul for good measure.

Reactions: .Gerdis
yes, Knight was very myopic on the bullwhip issue. And considering Ted was calling the next game, some very bad timing as well. Duke was already in the bonus 6 min into the second half. Only game ever that say Cheaney, Henderson, Bailey and G Graham all foul out. Throw in the phantom technical foul for good measure.
There is no doubt IU was the best team in the country at that point in that season, The next yr if Henderson don't get hurt they were better but he did. That year at that time they were so much better and the refs stole it. In RMK's years and I know other coaches can have the same gripe but 3-4 championships were lost to injury. 1975 isnt even a question, 1980? hard to say Woodsoon was a helluva player. What happens in 82 if landon isnt hurt? 83 if Kitchell doesnt go down? The 87 championship team was so much weaker than many of those teams except for Alford(I dont want him as coach) But did he ever miss a game for injury? he was just a force on a team in a down time. The Cheaney /Bailey teams were probably the best even including 76 and close but IU just seemed to have bad luck. Buckner is all time as leader , I see Alford #2 Knight had at least 5 teams better than 87 . Alford and Knight may have been the best ever, of a great coach and a really good to great player that totally fit everything he wanted to do and it worked.

"Way off"??!! Relevance (besides your anger)? RMK was given the whip at a practice where they joked with it & he brought it to the press conference later that day talking about it. In practice Cheaney bent over & pulled his shorts down some & RMK lightly hit him with it (i.e. 'used' it) & RMK stated it was a better motivation tool than anything he has had. From what i remember Cheaney said he & some teammates bought it on a road trip while shopping together, they saw it & thought it was perfect for RMK as he would get a kick out of it, they understood his sense of humor. To further make light of the situation, to show it was not a big deal to the players, Cheaney flipped RMK with a towel.

Reactions: Crayfish57
which part? The bullwhip event?
I can do the research again if you want but don't have time now. But this info is out there. I didn't make it up, I have read it more than once.

As for the Wisky game....it's been documented many times. Ted even wrote a letter to Steve Yoder apologizing for missing a call late in the game.

The part about TV being pissed off by Knight's actions.

"Ted was furious over the RMK whip stunt, and took that hostility into the IU-Duke semifinal the next Saturday....and the rest is history."

So TV Ted didn't like coach so he screws over all the players on IU , and the University . Tops it off later when Luke Recker , still hate to mention his name , was down under the basket after a hard hit . Coach was waved onto the court by one of the officials , Ted T's up coach when Coach went to check on Recker . Coach said I was told I could check on my player , Teddy said it didn't matter . Things got worse at that point , and coach went off and was kicked out of the game . Ted couldn't figure out why people at IU didn't like him . The rest of the conference must have come around also , as the big ten no longer uses him to do games . Love when Dakich does a game Ted refs , he usually gets a few digs in . I think he gave him the name TV Ted , when he was working on getting some Face Time during a game . when you are a good official most people really don't notice who you are , Teds goal is to make everyone notice him.

Lmao. Howard was 19-11 last year. Sure he’s 11-0 but let’s see how they finish the year before everyone calls him a great coach. Shit let’s see him win 2-5 years in a row.

There was a lot of hype with the Fab 5 no doubt. But they won nothing. There are no championships in any way connected with them. Calbert is black too. All he did was score more than any other player. I loved it when he broke Alford's record. He said, "sorry Steve". lol

Reactions: kmathum
There was a lot of hype with the Fab 5 no doubt. But they won nothing. There are no championships in any way connected with them. Calbert is black too. All he did was score more than any other player. I loved it when he broke Alford's record. He said, "sorry Steve". lol
If I were just talking college basketball I would maybe agree with you. However, Howard had an excellent NBA career as well. Regardless Calbert is never going to be the coach at IU.

So TV Ted didn't like coach so he screws over all the players on IU , and the University . Tops it off later when Luke Recker , still hate to mention his name , was down under the basket after a hard hit . Coach was waved onto the court by one of the officials , Ted T's up coach when Coach went to check on Recker . Coach said I was told I could check on my player , Teddy said it didn't matter . Things got worse at that point , and coach went off and was kicked out of the game . Ted couldn't figure out why people at IU didn't like him . The rest of the conference must have come around also , as the big ten no longer uses him to do games . Love when Dakich does a game Ted refs , he usually gets a few digs in . I think he gave him the name TV Ted , when he was working on getting some Face Time during a game . when you are a good official most people really don't notice who you are , Teds goal is to make everyone notice him.
Your retelling of the TV-BK isn’t accurate. Knight was looking for a confrontation, and he got one. He wasn’t focused on Recker so much.

That’s true, but IU isn’t a low or mid major. It’s a top 5 all time program. We aren’t going to hire someone without head coaching experience. Mike Davis was only hired because they hoped he learned from Knight how to coach. It was a mistake.
Not even close as to why Davis was hired.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT