ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Langford

How many Nick Zeisloft's has he recruited? Why would he?

He tells kids to go to the NBA if it's in their best interest. Most other coaches tell kids to come back as its in the coach's best interest for next year's team. Cal doesn't do that. Say what you want but it's not a fluke he recruits so well and is so well respected.
Oh get serious. Every year you can look down Kentucky's bench and see lesser rated players.

You dodged the question by saying "why would he." He does recruit some of them. Your premise is faulty.

Cal recruits high grade point average scholars to bring up the team GPA to balance out the one and dones. They never play. They are purely GPA boosters to keep UK from getting hit and lose scholarships.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
You do more than "respect" the guy.....you basically want to do three-way with him.
Have you graduated from grade school yet? It's painful how childish you are. Do your parents know you're using the computer? Leave it to the adults on here.

Cal recruits high grade point average scholars to bring up the team GPA to balance out the one and dones. They never play. They are purely GPA boosters to keep UK from getting hit and lose scholarships.

Name one. Or are you talking about walk ons?

Oh get serious. Every year you can look down Kentucky's bench and see lesser rated players.

You dodged the question by saying "why would he." He does recruit some of them. Your premise is faulty.
He signs 5-7 guys every single year. And he hasn't signed a single recruit below a 4 star in 4 straight classes. I suggest you do some homework.

This is what I'm talking about. It makes us look dumb and uneducated with this obsession with Cal bashing. Why can't people just say I don't like him but he's a good coach who exploited a niche? It's really not that painful to be objective.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Just like he "didn't know" when all those players had furs and tons of money that was stolen from them.
I doubt you were alive for the Rose recruitment, but believe it or not we offered him and were very involved in the recruitment. We were in his final group. So if he would've chosen IU would we have been responsible for him cheating?

Sounds like you would be better off going to Rupp Rafters instead of this board. You can talk with them on how you want to win at any cost no matter how you do it. I use to be proud of this fan base but over the years more and more think like you where you don't care how you win just as long as you win. Being an IU fan use to mean something because we stood for something but not today.

What did we stand for?

I like watching IUBB win games. I don't stake my morality in it.

Even if I did, I don't see how Calipari at U.K. has anything to do with anything.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I doubt you were alive for the Rose recruitment, but believe it or not we offered him and were very involved in the recruitment. We were in his final group. So if he would've chosen IU would we have been responsible for him cheating?

Are you not familiar with the extensive academic investigation IU launches into each one of it's recruits? We would have had boots on the ground, interviewing people in the testing room to see if there was any funny business.

Are you not familiar with the extensive academic investigation IU launches into each one of it's recruits? We would have had boots on the ground, interviewing people in the testing room to see if there was any funny business.
We definitely would've done that if we were over signed and he was the worst recruit. Hell we might have busted him for sneezing during the test if it meant clearing up the over sign issue.

Not totally true because the only reason there was a problem was that Adam's was considered a booster. He bought Iu license plates or something like that 20 years before those players played at IU. Adams was considered their guardian so that was a problem with the NCAA. It is not like Camby getting money or helping Rose have someone else take their SAT test.
Actually, him being the guardian wasn't the issue - although the NCAA isn't too fond of those arrangements.

The NCAA didn't like it, but that alone they couldn't have ruled either kid ineligible. What they got Adams on was his ex-wife had wrote checks for 7 straight years for IU Alumni Association bumper stickers - from a JOINT checking account her and Mark had.

It was incredibly petty. But fpeaugh is right about operating in the grey areas. There is no 100% morality in major college basketball. Some greys, though, are darker than others.

Reactions: Hawk_Circle_Hoosier
Who's got more credibility in this thread, fans of a team who has gone to 4 of the last 6 Final Fours playing in 2 title games winning 1 or fans of a team who hasn't won a title in 30 freaking years and hasn't made it past the Sweet 16 in almost 20? Indiana is a "has been" that never "will be" again. Hell, Butler is the best program in the state of Indiana.

Who's got more credibility in this thread, fans of a team who has gone to 4 of the last 6 Final Fours playing in 2 title games winning 1 or fans of a team who hasn't won a title in 30 freaking years and hasn't made it past the Sweet 16 in almost 20? Indiana is a "has been" that never "will be" again. Hell, Butler is the best program in the state of Indiana.
What the help do fans have to do with any of this? Oh, you are one of those fans that thinks your "credibility" matters in the win column. Lol.

Who's got more credibility in this thread, fans of a team who has gone to 4 of the last 6 Final Fours playing in 2 title games winning 1

Seeing these fans you're talking about felt the need to blame an official for their loss to UNC - to the extent of 7 being investigated by law enforcement - I'm not sure you want to claim anything resembling credibility . . . ;)

Disagree, IU would have signed him in a minute. Guy Marc Michel was a pro and we signed him. Where was the investigation?

Better thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. Go back to the holler, junior.

Cal is a tremendous coach and a very caring person to his players and their families. Let's get real. If he was coaching at IU we'd love him.
I disagree, I think he is a average coach at best, but a great recruiter. With all the talent he has had he should have one more championships, just my opinion

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Please give me a list of all of the coaches who've put more players in the NBA than Calipari since he's been at UK. And, if you're able to list out those UK kids, you'll have your answer as to who plays solid defense. Ask basketball people, if you know any.
But the real question that needs to be asked is with all that talent he gets every year, do you feel he has won enough championships?

Cal is a tremendous coach and a very caring person to his players and their families. Let's get real. If he was coaching at IU we'd love him.
I wouldn't and would never want the sleaze bag coaching at IU
Got to believe most iu fans would be counting more national championships if Calipari coached at Iu. They'd go crazy!! And if I'm a one and done player there's no better place to go than KY. His players go to the league. That's not a knock on iu or any other school.

But the real question that needs to be asked is with all that talent he gets every year, do you feel he has won enough championships?
I'm sure he believes they should've won a couple more, and the fans probably think he should have 7 or 8.

I explained why I don't like UK fans earlier but it was deleted. I won't tell that story again but it is true. I will give another reason I don't like UK or their fans. Most UK fans I've met think UK cheats but don't care and claim everyone does it and they don't care at all whether their players get an education. I guess if being uneducated is good for them it's good for the players. I don't know any IU fans like that and I know a lot more IU fans than UK fans.

Kentucky and credibility really do not belong in the same sentence. Kentucky is hardly credible and never has been.

I explained why I don't like UK fans earlier but it was deleted. I won't tell that story again but it is true. I will give another reason I don't like UK or their fans. Most UK fans I've met think UK cheats but don't care and claim everyone does it and they don't care at all whether their players get an education. I guess if being uneducated is good for them it's good for the players. I don't know any IU fans like that and I know a lot more IU fans than UK fans.
I wish the UK fans would leave our board but I have to say, there are many more IU fans I know who favor winning over "education". I mean who is set up better...the kid who leaves after a year to make millions of dollars and never work a day in their life after finishing basketball...or the kid who gets "Creaned" after a year and is left searching for another school to go to because their original school dropped them when they didn't perform?

Let's get real...these NBA players are making more in 5 years than any college degree will get you in 40 years. I don't think the average person realizes how much these 18-20 year old kids are making. Generational type money. Much more valuable than a general BS degree.

I wish the UK fans would leave our board but I have to say, there are many more IU fans I know who favor winning over "education". I mean who is set up better...the kid who leaves after a year to make millions of dollars and never work a day in their life after finishing basketball...or the kid who gets "Creaned" after a year and is left searching for another school to go to because their original school dropped them when they didn't perform?

Let's get real...these NBA players are making more in 5 years than any college degree will get you in 40 years. I don't think the average person realizes how much these 18-20 year old kids are making. Generational type money. Much more valuable than a general BS degree.

Like Antoine Walker?

Like Antoine Walker?
For every person you name I'll name 50 who have their families set up financially for generations. And these kids are making 5-10x what players made 20 years ago.

If you think a general college degree is worth as much as a NBA contract you're badly mistaken. The average 2nd contact in the NBA will earn these kids more in 3-5 years than a specialty physician will earn in their career. It's not even an argument.

For every person you name I'll name 50 who have their families set up financially for generations. And these kids are making 5-10x what players made 20 years ago.

If you think a general college degree is worth as much as a NBA contract you're badly mistaken. The average 2nd contact in the NBA will earn these kids more in 3-5 years than a specialty physician will earn in their career. It's not even an argument.
I've got no issue with the kids. They ought to be able to go straight to the pros from HS.

It's adults benefiting from that restriction that bothers me - especially those who blatantly use the college model to provide a direct step toward the NBA. Again, I don't fault the kids.

Reactions: BigMobe
It's adults benefiting from that restriction that bothers me - especially those who blatantly use the college model to provide a direct step toward the NBA. Again, I don't fault the kids.

Is that another indirect shot at Calipari? What is he supposed to do? Not recruit the best players? Tell the potential lottery pick to stay in school another year?

You guys act like U.K. and Duke have some kind of predatory relationship with these recruits. Truth is, they're both getting exactly what they want out of the transaction most of the time.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I've got no issue with the kids. They ought to be able to go straight to the pros from HS.

What do you think the "college model" is in regard to Power 5 football and men's basketball?

Don't confuse KY with a model that has anything to do with college.

Two separate entities.
Well, that's technically true, but the "model" of which you speak likely doesn't exist.

Rather, it serves as a giant fundraising arm of universities, where a disproportionate number of very borderline college "students" are given free "educations" in exchange for playing a sport. In other words, the adults are using the kids everywhere and all the time. Singling out UK is naive, at best. They have plenty of company.

Well, that's technically true, but the "model" of which you speak likely doesn't exist.

Rather, it serves as a giant fundraising arm of universities, where a disproportionate number of very borderline college "students" are given free "educations" in exchange for playing a sport. In other words, the adults are using the kids everywhere and all the time. Singling out UK is naive, at best. They have plenty of company.
The difference between football and basketball is that football players have to be students for at least 6 semesters. Basketball (currently) only requires 2 if you use college to get to the NBA. Big difference.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
The difference between football and basketball is that football players have to be students for at least 6 semesters. Basketball (currently) only requires 2 if you use college to get to the NBA. Big difference.

In reality...one semester with a wink and a nod at the second.

That's a difference, but the commonalities are far greater. I'm afraid the idyllic model you believe exists is a fantasy. Whining about one instance of "exploitation", when so many others are plainly evident, underscores the rampant hypocrisy of college sports fans.

Last edited:

I believe I saw on 30 for 30 or some other ESPN show that more than half of NBA basketball players are bankrupt within a few years of leaving the NBA. A good education in financial management would help with that. If a player wants to go to the NBA it's OK with me but very few college players actually make it in the NBA or any professional league. At the same time most at the big time programs think they'll be one of the exceptions. Not caring about the education does a disservice to the majority of college players.

I believe I saw on 30 for 30 or some other ESPN show that more than half of NBA basketball players are bankrupt within a few years of leaving the NBA. A good education in financial management would help with that. If a player wants to go to the NBA it's OK with me but very few college players actually make it in the NBA or any professional league. At the same time most at the big time programs think they'll be one of the exceptions. Not caring about the education does a disservice to the majority of college players.
We're not talking about the average college athlete here. We're talking about one and done basketball players. Everyone knows who they are before they ever step foot on a college campus.

And I've never seen any evidence to suggest that kids who stayed 3-4 years and got a degree are more responsible with money than the kid who left after one year. You're telling me a 22 year old with a general studies degree is, on average, going to be more financially conscious than a 19 year old without a degree? No...they're both kids who instantly mix fame with what seems to them to be unlimited money. A couple more college courses isn't going to matter one bit to how those kids spend their money.

We're not talking about the average college athlete here. We're talking about one and done basketball players. Everyone knows who they are before they ever step foot on a college campus.

And I've never seen any evidence to suggest that kids who stayed 3-4 years and got a degree are more responsible with money than the kid who left after one year. You're telling me a 22 year old with a general studies degree is, on average, going to be more financially conscious than a 19 year old without a degree? No...they're both kids who instantly mix fame with what seems to them to be unlimited money. A couple more college courses isn't going to matter one bit to how those kids spend their money.
Yes. I do think a 22 year old with a degree is on average much more financially conscious than a 19 year old without one. First they're older and second even a General Studies degree requires some discipline to get through. Again I have no problem with a one and done kid going to the NBA. That's not an issue that I'm concerned with. That's their decision to make but it does a real disservice to college athletes to deemphasize or blow off academics. Having fans that don't care about it isn't a help to a program also. Most UK fans don't care about academics and most IU fans I know do care. Of course they want to win championships too but they don't think their program cheats and don't care and they do care if the players are taking care of the academic side of things.

FYI I was a high school athlete and took a smaller college football scholarship. By my junior year I was at IU as a regular student because I knew that I wasn't going to the NFL and wanted a business degree. Now I'm in the Air Force and I think my degree has been very important for what I do even though I'm not in business. Education is important no matter what a kid does for his living in his 20s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT