ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Langford

I'm betting Cal is recruiting him hard during USA Hoops. I won't be surprised if he goes UK. Anyone else feeling the same?

Respectfully,
It will be very difficult for Cal to get ahead of Duke and UL for Romeo, but it could happen. If there's a #3 for him, they're probably it.

I'm betting Cal is recruiting him hard during USA Hoops. I won't be surprised if he goes UK. Anyone else feeling the same?

Respectfully,
This kid could go to the NBA now, NO fan of Ky. or Cal, but can't blame him to try on this one.

Reactions: Deli owl
Calipari choked as coach of USA U-19 team and displayed his ineptitude for all the world to see including the USA Team members. In all his years of coaching college and NBA he can't figure out how to stop an opposing 19U player from Canada with all of the basketball resources in the USA. Cal is the same coach who arrogantly says to the News Media during a Final Four tournament run that "He don't have his team practice Free Throws". Like his team is so good they will win without making a few throw. Knowing full well in close games free throws sometimes decide the game. And Calipari proceeds to lose the game, partly due to [ missed free throws. Calipari is a good recruiter (Somehow...thanks to WWW and friends of the program), but he is arrogant and condescending, is not a good in-game adjustment coach, and relies more on talent and individual moves rather than structured team offensive and defensive sets. Cal's arrogant attitude, he is so full of himself, gets in his own way of being a more effective game coach when the talent is equal. If anything that I would take away from this experience is that I do not want to play for Calipari, If I am his parents that is not the mindset or negative role model that I would want my son playing for.

Last edited:
Calipari choked as coach of USA U-19 team and displayed his ineptitude for all the world to see including the USA Team members. In all his years of coaching college and NBA he can't figure out how to stop an opposing 19U player from Canada with all of the basketball resources in the USA. Cal is the same coach who arrogantly says to the News Media during a Final Four tournament run that "He don't have his team practice Free Throws". Like his team is so good they will win without making a few throw. Knowing full well in close games free throws sometimes decide the game. And Calipari proceeds to lose the game, partly due to [ missed free throws. Calipari is a good recruiter (Somehow...thanks to WWW and friends of the program), but he is arrogant and condescending, is not a good in-game adjustment coach, and relies more on talent and individual moves rather than structured team offensive and defensive sets. Cal's arrogant attitude, he is so full of himself, gets in his own way of being a more effective game coach when the talent is equal. If anything that I would take away from this experience is that I do not want to play for Calipari, If I am his parents that is not the mindset or negative role model that I would want my son playing for.
LOL - you're cute.

Hard for me to believe, but I've actually gained a measure of respect for Cal after watching that 30 for 30 and seeing his commitment and bond to his players. I know the daughter of a pretty well known Coach and she said Cal was great to her Dad when he was sick, and forgotten by a lot of people. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing but disdain for the UK program and think they are the worst collection of cheaters in bball, and believe that Cal turns a blind eye to much of that, or possibly encourages it as long as he can keep his distance, but I think far more of him than the slime I thought he was. In alot of ways he's just the modern K... reads the rules and finds creative ways around them.

Hard for me to believe, but I've actually gained a measure of respect for Cal after watching that 30 for 30 and seeing his commitment and bond to his players. I know the daughter of a pretty well known Coach and she said Cal was great to her Dad when he was sick, and forgotten by a lot of people. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing but disdain for the UK program and think they are the worst collection of cheaters in bball, and believe that Cal turns a blind eye to much of that, or possibly encourages it as long as he can keep his distance, but I think far more of him than the slime I thought he was. In alot of ways he's just the modern K... reads the rules and finds creative ways around them.
I don't think he's a bad coach, but he's not on the level of Izzo.

Team USA U19? what happened? Thanks Cal. Guess he was to busy recruiting these guys and they lost track of their goal of winning the gold.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Team USA U19? what happened? Thanks Cal. Guess he was to busy recruiting these guys and they lost track of their goal of winning the gold.
Now, C'mon! Cal is a GREAT coach that "is superior at teaching both individual and team defense better than any of his coaching peers".:rolleyes: (Despite R.J. Barrett going off for 38 & 13):oops:

Now, C'mon! Cal is a GREAT coach that "is superior at teaching both individual and team defense better than any of his coaching peers".:rolleyes: (Despite R.J. Barrett going off for 38 & 13):oops:
What do people who actually know basketball say about Cal? And why do you continue to ignore the U19 results since 1995?

What do people who actually know basketball say about Cal?

You're the basketball genius, remember? You told us that Cal "is superior at teaching both individual and team defense better than any of his coaching peers", did you not? So, obviously, they'd telling us the same thing, right? Or are you just making stuff up again?

And why do you continue to ignore the U19 results since 1995?

Why do you continue to ignore the question on the top-50 players who aren't one-and-dones that Calipari has prepared for the NBA on an annual basis better that any other coach? Huh? Cat got you're tongue?

c8362c833541565d9be651358e9e4d7bbe282519fb5cc88adf688fe3a772045d.jpg

I wouldn't and would never want the sleaze bag coaching at IU
You're the same guy who supported Tommy Basketball for all 9 awful years. Yet you don't want one of the best coaches of all time? Ummm....ok.

You're the basketball genius, remember? You told us that Cal "is superior at teaching both individual and team defense better than any of his coaching peers", did you not? So, obviously, they'd telling us the same thing, right? Or are you just making stuff up again?

Why do you continue to ignore the question on the top-50 players who aren't one-and-dones that Calipari has prepared for the NBA on an annual basis better that any other coach? Huh? Cat got you're tongue?

We agree on 99% of stuff Taz, but I disagree on this. Cal rarely signs guys outside the top 50, but he improves the draft status of many of his players IMO.

KAT: 5th out of HS, drafted 1st
Cauley Stein: 40th from HS, drafted 6th
Booker: 29th, drafted 13
Lyles: 13th, drafted 12

That was one class. And the draft includes 4+ years of rankings (freshmen-seniors) and international players.

We agree on 99% of stuff Taz, but I disagree on this. Cal rarely signs guys outside the top 50, but he improves the draft status of many of his players IMO.

KAT: 5th out of HS, drafted 1st
Cauley Stein: 40th from HS, drafted 6th
Booker: 29th, drafted 13
Lyles: 13th, drafted 12

That was one class. And the draft includes 4+ years of rankings (freshmen-seniors) and international players.
I would ask you very simply - HOW does he improve them? Seriously.

You're the same guy who supported Tommy Basketball for all 9 awful years. Yet you don't want one of the best coaches of all time? Ummm....ok.
I have some morals and Cal does not so there is no way I would want him here. Also I defended Crean when people made personal attacks on him but never said he was a great coach. I also called for his head when all of the off the court incidents happen.

I guess if all you care about is winning at any cost then you would probably like Cal. Most IU fans I know care more than just about the win/loss record and care how the team is run. They care about the academics of the players and how they act off the court. They care about whether a coach has to have final fours vacated.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU? I'm Fine

I've made nothing up. Cal gets them to the league, your jealousy notwithstanding. Ask basketball people, since you're not one. At least you were smart enough to back away from the U19 foolishness. Even you knew you were way over your head. Just another "elite" iu fan who thinks 30 years go was last week.

I've made nothing up. Cal gets them to the league, your jealousy notwithstanding. Ask basketball people, since you're not one. At least you were smart enough to back away from the U19 foolishness. Even you knew you were way over your head. Just another "elite" iu fan who thinks 30 years go was last week.
Keep trying - and dodging - genius. You're doing a great job of it.

There's been no dodge. You made a post that you can't support and you're crying because I called you on it. But, as I said, you were smart to run away from it.
Got that list of players Cal "prepares" for the NBA better than his peers? You know, the ones that play such awesome team and individual defense?

Got that list of players Cal "prepares" for the NBA better than his peers? You know, the ones that play such awesome team and individual defense?
Please give me a list of all of the coaches who've put more players in the NBA than Calipari since he's been at UK. And, if you're able to list out those UK kids, you'll have your answer as to who plays solid defense. Ask basketball people, if you know any.

Reactions: mathboy
Please give me a list of all of the coaches who've put more players in the NBA than Calipari since he's been at UK. And, if you're able to list out those UK kids, you'll have your answer as to who plays solid defense. Ask basketball people, if you know any.

But you said - if the rule changes - that Cal will still dominate, because he "prepares" players better than his peers. Remember?

We're not talking 1-and-dones - because they won't be coming to college anymore. With a rule change, they can go straight to NBA.

At that point, Cal will still get good players - but they'll be players not ready for the NBA. They'll need developed. So, again, who are all of said players that Cal has developed AND has done that development better than other college coaches.

You've dodged that question from the beginning. And we both know why - because Cal hasn't proved he can develop good talent into NBA talent on an ANNUAL basis.

The players he put in NBA would have gone there if they played for Podunk U. IMO Romeo's experience with Cal on U19 will cause him to distance himself from UK. Having watched him play for 4 years he does not fit in the style of "roll the ball out and let em play" that Cal uses.

You have Cal,Izzo, K and Brad Stevens in a Final Four. They all have very equal talent. You get 5 million if you pick the coach who wins it all. Now tell me you are taking Cal? LMFAO He is nothing special beyond winning at the game of slime also known as college recruiting.

But you said - if the rule changes - that Cal will still dominate, because he "prepares" players better than his peers. Remember?

We're not talking 1-and-dones - because they won't be coming to college anymore. With a rule change, they can go straight to NBA.

At that point, Cal will still get good players - but they'll be players not ready for the NBA. They'll need developed. So, again, who are all of said players that Cal has developed AND has done that development better than other college coaches.

You've dodged that question from the beginning. And we both know why - because Cal hasn't proved he can develop good talent into NBA talent on an ANNUAL basis.

He'll continue to dominate because he teaches the NBA game and he teaches defense. You've shown absolutely nothing to the contrary. Nada. Except jealousy.

You have Cal,Izzo, K and Brad Stevens in a Final Four. They all have very equal talent. You get 5 million if you pick the coach who wins it all. Now tell me you are taking Cal? LMFAO He is nothing special beyond winning at the game of slime also known as college recruiting.
So iu hired a coach who absolutely loves Cal. What does that tell you?

I would ask you very simply - HOW does he improve them? Seriously.
Go watch the 30 for 30 on him with a shred of objectivity and you'll see what he brings to the table. Those kids love and respect him. He holds them accountable unlike just about any other head coach could. That's why he's so well respected in the basketball community.

I have some morals and Cal does not so there is no way I would want him here. Also I defended Crean when people made personal attacks on him but never said he was a great coach. I also called for his head when all of the off the court incidents happen.

I guess if all you care about is winning at any cost then you would probably like Cal. Most IU fans I know care more than just about the win/loss record and care how the team is run. They care about the academics of the players and how they act off the court. They care about whether a coach has to have final fours vacated.
Cal has no morals? How long have you known the guy? What about all the great basketball minds who respect him and are friends with him? They not have any morals? This argument that Cal is the devil is such a joke.

IU as a fanbase has to get over the Calipari jealousy. It really makes us look bad. I remember many on this board claiming Tom Crean was a better coach than Cal just 4-5 years ago. It's embarrassing. The guy is one of the best coaches all time. UK did what it takes to win, IU didn't. Let's move on.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Go watch the 30 for 30 on him with a shred of objectivity and you'll see what he brings to the table. Those kids love and respect him. He holds them accountable unlike just about any other head coach could. That's why he's so well respected in the basketball community.
Tad isn't interested in learning. He's all about cliches and simple notions.

I watched thee whole 30 for 30 and came away still thinking he is a slime ball. If they change the rules to going right to the NBA or going to college for 4 years he will not have the advantage he has now. All he cares about right now is getting kids who will be one and done players and showing he can get them to the NBA faster than anyone. If the players have to stay 3 years then everyone are on equal footing and he won't have that advantage. I think he is just an average game coach and if he was a better coach he would have more championships.

I would never want a coach who openly comes out and says that the most important thing for him is to get players drafted. I can't believe any UK fan liked the comment that best day in their history was getting a record for first round draft picks.

IU as a fanbase has to get over the Calipari jealousy. It really makes us look bad. I remember many on this board claiming Tom Crean was a better coach than Cal just 4-5 years ago. It's embarrassing. The guy is one of the best coaches all time. UK did what it takes to win, IU didn't. Let's move on.
Again if you want to win at any cost he is your man but I would never want him coaching at IU. You are either a younger fan or never attended IU because most long time IU fans care more than just about wins/losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT