ADVERTISEMENT

C. Spegal

Dec 18, 2019
Simple question. 18 signed, 2 available scholarships. Why is Spegal a preferred walk on? Only speculation but with in state tuition and the heart to be at IU, was this just a great sell on opportunity. If so, we are getting a gem?

Simple question. 18 signed, 2 available scholarships. Why is Spegal a preferred walk on? Only speculation but with in state tuition and the heart to be at IU, was this just a great sell on opportunity. If so, we are getting a gem?

I think we are getting a gem in the rough..., that said, it appears we're holding those two scholarships for a DE and a "best available" in February...(per TA's video interview)...

I think Spegal will win his scholarship..., on the field...,and it'll be that much more special for him when it happens...

As a Preferred Walk On it's my understanding that he's able to take part in everything the scholarship guys do so I doubt he'll be without a scholarship for long...

I think it'll be tough to keep him on the sidelines... Just my opinion...

He's is already one of my favorite players and he hasn't been on the field yet...

I suppose if he's your loved one that holding a scholarship for the "best available" would grate a bit..., but the Team still needs help on both sides of the line and at Safety..., and we're loaded at RB..., so even an Indiana Mr. Football comes behind our current scholarship needs at DE, DT, OL and/or Safety...

I expect this to be one of those "all's well that ends well" deals where Charlie ends up running for several winning touchdowns and wins his scholarship sooner than expected...

By the way, I'm just a fan and the above are just my opinions...
Not sure about that...at least not right now. I’d bet CS’s deal with CTA is “come in, work your a off, earn a ship” - that hasn’t happened yet. A year from now that might be an issue.

From what I hear the dad owns a commercial roofing company so a scholarship may not be that important.

Scholarship situation won’t settle out until after Spring ball. Some fellas will move on. Spots will open.
I’d be shocked if he gets a ride that quickly. Seems more likely they’d want him to produce for a year prior to reaping that reward. Don’t forget Fred’s 4-year guarantee makes that a big gamble. You’d better be doggone sure he’s gonna contribute before spending that lavishly on a guy who’s going to be here anyway.

For the record: I’ve said all along the kid is going to surprise everybody and will definitely earn playing time, but let’s see it first.

That comment was TIC.

The running joke with the goofballs over at GBI is that a couple Boilers from New Pal said they really wanted Spiegel and this was a debate whether he was good enough to earn a scholarship

There were some positive posts initially about the kid, several said they like to see him in black and gold,...but when he decided to come to IU, he was instant trash. A couple of the keyboard klowns there who spent there formative years picking up jockstraps for athletes said he only got his yards because of his line, didn’t play good competition, was afraid of being exposed at camps, was slower than most linemen, hadn’t been hit by the likes of a Purdue player, wouldn’t play in Div III, etc.

It is better than an episode of The Kardashians. Almost too juicy not to watch

I don't think they did... Not even as a PWO.

Spegal will make them regret that.

Horvath is at Purdue because they let him play RB and IU offered him a PWO scholie at LB. There been similar cases where both programs benefitted from PWO’s. Oldtimers will recall a walk-on from Leo named Mike Augustyniak who rushed for 135 yards and was the difference in a late 70’s Purdue bucket win.
https://www.southbendtribune.com/sp...cle_a896fe95-19a1-5657-a01c-fbe0a46a1d65.html

That comment was TIC.

The running joke with the goofballs over at GBI is that a couple Boilers from New Pal said they really wanted Spiegel and this was a debate whether he was good enough to earn a scholarship

There were some positive posts initially about the kid, several said they like to see him in black and gold,...but when he decided to come to IU, he was instant trash. A couple of the keyboard klowns there who spent there formative years picking up jockstraps for athletes said he only got his yards because of his line, didn’t play good competition, was afraid of being exposed at camps, was slower than most linemen, hadn’t been hit by the likes of a Purdue player, wouldn’t play in Div III, etc.

That place is sal-ty these days in both sports. Bitterness is an understatement.

Reactions: 76-1 and Lillyr66
I soooooo hope that’s true. Would love to see CS drag about 3 of their dudes into the end zone for a Bucket-clinching score.

Yes...a bucket clinching score on the first possession of the game...as they never get closer than seven...

:)

Reactions: mk23 and 76-1
That comment was TIC.

Yea I shouldn't have fallen for that one. I have seen the line "we quit recruiting him so he went to IU" several times. I particularly liked their lines, Coy is transferring and Sampson James is no good that's why Ohio State dropped him.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1

It has to be some combination or his size and his age.

This guy reads plays very well. He’s a walk on because he is not likely to get much bigger or faster. He doesn’t have much upside in the pass game either. I could see us sprinkling him in there in the middle of the second quarter and the end of the third quarter to get our first and second string to the fourth quarter. You can trust him to make good run reads and take what’s there. He’s also a nice insurance policy if/when injuries occur.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT