ADVERTISEMENT

Bye bye, Johnny...

He's not leaving. All about leverage. These rumors pop up nearly every year and Cal never minds. It creates enormous leverage for him.

Rumor is U.K. is already looking at potential replacements....

220px-Coach_Tom_Crean.jpg

Yep. When NBA changes one and done rule Cal will bolt for the NBA.

Cal could care less about change in one and done rule. His recruiting at Kentucky will be in the top 5 every year irrespective of rules.
That may be so - BUT can he produce results equivalent to what he has since 2010?

IMHO a lot of his success since then is because of the one-and-done talent. He may still get good recruits, but will he be able to coach them up to the level of E8/FF every year? He hadn't been able to do that BEFORE he got to Lexington, and I doubt he could now.

Reactions: hgdownunder
If they change the NBA rule to the Baseball rule then the best of the one and dones will go straight to the NBA. The others will be locked in for 2 years
That will hurt Cal because his Freshmen have to play through their Soph year allowing someone to scoop up some of the top college level talent that Cal will not have enough scholarships for

If they change the NBA rule to the Baseball rule then the best of the one and dones will go straight to the NBA. The others will be locked in for 2 years
That will hurt Cal because his Freshmen have to play through their Soph year allowing someone to scoop up some of the top college level talent that Cal will not have enough scholarships for
One of many things

That may be so - BUT can he produce results equivalent to what he has since 2010?

IMHO a lot of his success since then is because of the one-and-done talent. He may still get good recruits, but will he be able to coach them up to the level of E8/FF every year? He hadn't been able to do that BEFORE he got to Lexington, and I doubt he could now.
Agreed. Outside of the year he landed Rose, his Memphis teams were good but not consistently elite.

Cal will always get the best players available. If they do away with the one & done, Cal will move to the next tier.

Maybe, but he will be in a daily fight for the best kids as his loophole will be closed. Kids expecting to stay 2-4 years start to care about things like the school, campus, fan base, etc. KYs campus is awful, the facility is a crime ridden strip mall, the fans are less than sophisticated, and the university is not well respected.

The conditions that created the Calipari issues will return and I suspect his true colors will return.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Maybe, but he will be in a daily fight for the best kids as his loophole will be closed. Kids expecting to stay 2-4 years start to care about things like the school, campus, fan base, etc. KYs campus is awful, the facility is a crime ridden strip mall, the fans are less than sophisticated, and the university is not well respected.

The conditions that created the Calipari issues will return and I suspect his true colors will return.

Yet he has trashed IU in recruiting for over a decade. Ky is the premiere basketball program while IU has become a shadow of itself with no change in site.

Yet he has trashed IU in recruiting for over a decade. Ky is the premiere basketball program while IU has become a shadow of itself with no change in site.
Archie will change things at IU back to being elite. Calipari will move to NBA when one and done rule changes. UK will be back to hiring Billy Clyde types.

That is just ignorant...with a new coach yet coach a game at IU...

Reactions: lorenaimee
That is just ignorant...with a new coach yet coach a game at IU...

Do you think Archie was a great recruiter at Dayton? If Crean landed a few in state guys last year he would still be the coach. It's July and we have nobody that's an IU lean right now nobody. Do you think Archie is that good of an x & o's coach? He coaches like Sean miller and look how Sean recruits in Arizona. He wouldn't be nearly as good without landing 5 star guys.

Reactions: Deli owl

Not sure why I am giving you the credibility that comes with a response, but KY hasn't trashed IU in recruiting...thankfully the programs don't share the same strategy. KY is a premier program for a certain type of fan...typically the non grad variety. I would have no interest in outsourcing IUs program.

IU is not where it needs to be by any stretch, but the future appears to be better.

Not sure why I am giving you the credibility that comes with a response, but KY hasn't trashed IU in recruiting...thankfully the programs don't share the same strategy. KY is a premier program for a certain type of fan...typically the non grad variety. I would have no interest in outsourcing IUs program.

IU is not where it needs to be by any stretch, but the future appears to be better.
Totally agree because i would never want IU to be like UK with how they run their programs. I would never want a class full of one and done players and never want to have the roster turn over every year.

Totally agree because i would never want IU to be like UK with how they run their programs. I would never want a class full of one and done players and never want to have the roster turn over every year.

Not to worry, IU couldn't attract a class full of one and dones. And that's fine with me.

Calipari's recruiting will drop if the NBA changes the one and done rule to be like baseball. He will no longer have top 5 or top 10 players as many if not most of them will choose to go straight to the NBA, whether they are ready or not. He will recruit the next level of players in the top 20 and top100. Where he will be recruiting evenly with everyone else in the power conferences with no one and done promise and only one Semester of classes required, UK's lack of academics will hurt Cal in his recruiting efforts. If the NBA One and Done rules change then Calipari loses his NBA lotter pick talent advantage niche which will drop Cal in the NCAA elite coaching status.

Last edited:
So you would rather not have one and dones and be TOTALLY irrelevant? I must be in bizarro world. I'm sure had Ben Simmons wanted to come to IU you all would have hated that. Totally ridiculous.

Calipari's recruiting will drop if the NBA changes the one and done rule to be like baseball. He will no longer have top 5 or top 10 players as many if not most of them will choose to go straight to the NBA, whether they are ready or not. He will recruit the next level of players in the top 20 and top100. Where he will be recruiting evenly with everyone else in the power conferences with no one and done promise and only one Semester of classes required, UK's lack of academics will hurt Cal in his recruiting efforts. If the NBA One and Done rules change then Calipari loses his NBA lotter pick talent advantage niche which will drop Cal in the NCAA elite coaching status.
His approach will probably change but he'll still recruit at an elite level, and they'll still be a final four threat every year. Basketball people understand this, even if the Crean crowd here lacks the sense to figure it out.

Last edited:
So you would rather not have one and dones and be TOTALLY irrelevant? I must be in bizarro world. I'm sure had Ben Simmons wanted to come to IU you all would have hated that. Totally ridiculous.

Fortunately not a choice IU has to make.

He will be back recruiting with the pack...which is how he put programs on probation and vacated wins. He has done well with the one and done loophole (referring to wins only obviously). Can he compete with other coaches and keep it relatively clean? Yet to be seen...but my money is on more probation and sanctions. The dude is just creepy sleazy.

Without one and dones at Kentucky it will equalize the talent disparity and be more on Calipari's system and in game coaching, which he is not elite in. Cal is an elite recruiter thanks to World Wide Wes and other "friends of the program" who spoon feed him NBA lottery pick talent on loan for one season. If Cal was an elite head coach with an elite system he would have multiple national titles with the most talent in the country and not have vacated multiple Final Fours and immediately left universities when the NCAA sanctions came down. The magic will go out of Cals magic wand when the one and done rule changes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT