ADVERTISEMENT

Buzz 123 RIP

From the Hobart Alumni Association:

Edward Kevin Esping was born on July 25, 1949, in Gary, Indiana. He passed away on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Ed spent his youth in Hobart, Indiana, graduating from Hobart High School in 1967. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Florida/Gainesville and his law degree from Indiana University.

Ed is survived by his wife Susan of Tulsa, Oklahoma, sister, Maryanne Esping Mooney and husband Gary Mooney of Atlanta, GA; brother, Jeffrey Shawn Esping and wife Jennifer of Lawrenceville, GA. He was preceded in death by his mother, Betty Bynum Esping, his father, Edward Donald Esping and his twin brother, Theodore (Ted) James Esping whose widow, Marcia Meilaender Esping, lives in Carmel, IN.​

Edward Kevin Esping was born on July 25, 1949, in Gary, Indiana. He passed away on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Ed spent his youth in Hobart, Indiana, graduating from Hobart High School in 1967. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Florida/Gainesville and his law degree from Indiana University.

Ed is survived by his wife Susan of Tulsa, Oklahoma, sister, Maryanne Esping Mooney and husband Gary Mooney of Atlanta, GA; brother, Jeffrey Shawn Esping and wife Jennifer of Lawrenceville, GA. He was preceded in death by his mother, Betty Bynum Esping, his father, Edward Donald Esping and his twin brother, Theodore (Ted) James Esping whose widow, Marcia Meilaender Esping, lives in Carmel, IN.​

No kids?

He was a bright guy. He’s been off the forum for quite awhile, but would chime in every once in awhile.

Very sad.

Man...the more I think about it, the worse I feel about this. I’m pretty sure he didn’t think much of me, but I admired the hell out of how he took information and made sound decisions on real data. He was able to do things that I could probably never have done.

I’m sure I’m over reading it, but in the end (of his posting here) he did seem to embrace liberal policies...at least on healthcare.

I’m ashamed not to have been a better poster while he was the monitor. (Not that I’m much better now).

Rest In Peace, Buzz!!!! I’m not religious, but tonight I will say a prayer for Buzz and his family.

That’s really too bad. He seemed like a good guy and as Ranger said, he wasn’t all that old.

Some thought Ed was a dictator and he was to a certain extent but I always got along with him and always enjoyed his posts when he was moderator even if I disagreed with them. The last time he was here he seemed bitter .... maybe it was the medicine he was on or just felt like hell.

Man...the more I think about it, the worse I feel about this. I’m pretty sure he didn’t think much of me, but I admired the hell out of how he took information and made sound decisions on real data. He was able to do things that I could probably never have done.

I’m sure I’m over reading it, but in the end (of his posting here) he did seem to embrace liberal policies...at least on healthcare.

I’m ashamed not to have been a better poster while he was the monitor. (Not that I’m much better now).

Rest In Peace, Buzz!!!! I’m not religious, but tonight I will say a prayer for Buzz and his family.
Didn’t his wife have health issues? I recall he was passionate about healthcare also. He was conservative, but I’m almost positive his last couple times weighing in were about Trump.

Buzz was the originator of "The Toy Department," which I borrowed ad infinitum when I was posting more on the Premie. IIRC, he was also one of the primary opponents of "ITLLR" posts made by TBL, so as with all of us, he had his positive and negative attributes.

Buzz and I had some ..... vigorous discussions about MD in the early 2000's, then figured out we agreed about more stuff than we didn't and developed a nice rapport. I knew he had some significant health issues for a while. Sorry to hear of his passing.

How depressing. I had some but not a lot of offline conversation with Buzz. He was a tremendously sharp guy. As a forum moderator and member, he was among the very best seen here. He had some sharp elbows (and his arrogance occasionally led him to argue points beneath him), but if nothing else, he pushed all to up their games. His disengagement from our little cyber world (some eons ago) was a real loss. Sadly, the void he left here ultimately filled with those who have no game and/or who represent the type of blinkered thinking Buzz abhorred. That board transformation oddly seems emblematic of our republic's broader political discourse.

Reactions: hoot1 and ovaltine
Sorry to hear about Buzz. Like most of us, I only knew his online personality. Online Buzz forced us, sometimes kicking and screaming, to up our game here. That was a good thing.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I remember when his brother passed away a few years ago. I believe Ed is the first Cooler moderator to pass. I havent had a conversation with him in years. Like so many, he just drifted away.

Reactions: ovaltine
Thyrsis hit all the nails on the head for me.

I just wish I could have met Buzz and called him a friend regardless of politics.

Reactions: ovaltine
How depressing. I had some but not a lot of offline conversation with Buzz. He was a tremendously sharp guy. As a forum moderator and member, he was among the very best seen here. He had some sharp elbows (and his arrogance occasionally led him to argue points beneath him), but if nothing else, he pushed all to up their games. His disengagement from our little cyber world (some eons ago) was a real loss. Sadly, the void he left here ultimately filled with those who have no game and/or who represent the type of blinkered thinking Buzz abhorred. That board transformation oddly seems emblematic of our republic's broader political discourse.

You know, we could get back to some semblance of that. I did not like all of his rules but a strict no ad hominem rule would be a start....

You know, we could get back to some semblance of that. I did not like all of his rules but a strict no ad hominem rule would be a start....
Buzz helped me raise my game - you can't post without supporting documentation. Knocked me back a bit at first, but I came to appreciate it - no making stuff up and serving up an ad hominem - provide data supporting your position.

That is something that would serve every message board well.

I remember when his brother passed away a few years ago. I believe Ed is the first Cooler moderator to pass. I havent had a conversation with him in years. Like so many, he just drifted away.

RIP Buzz. Here's hoping his family and friends are filled by memories of many great times together.

I've been largely absent from the forums for about a year or so. But I was struck by the title of this post.

I added my e-mail address to my signature, as Buzz would have wanted.

My stoker and I met Buzz for a beer one evening in the spring of 2006 when we were passing through Tulsa. We had such a great conversation we agreed me to meet for breakfast the next morning with SWMBO. Another delightful time and we agreed to meet again when he thought they might come to Colorado for a vacation. He never made it. In person he was a very pleasant and engaging individual. He and Susan were a delightful couple. They recently returned from a trip to a Paris. He was so positive about Paris we took him up on his suggestion to visit there and did likewise in 2009. I had many conversations with Buzz including the back channel ones. We never pulled any punches but we always kept the discussions more or less civil. I even picked his brain one time about a thorny unprecedented legal issue I wrestled with in my practice. Then he drifted away. When he came back as Buzz123a he seemed like a different person. Our relationship ended abruptly. I’ll remember him in the good times.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT