ADVERTISEMENT

Buyout.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
It’s amazing that so many people don’t understand how those work. Not saying the people on here, just people in General.

It is paid out in several years of installments. The Language usually states that it’s pro-rated depending on what the Coaches next stepi is.

People seem to think this saves Archie 1 more season. But I get the feeling if it gets bad enough, he’s gone. People are done!

It’s amazing that so many people don’t understand how those work. Not saying the people on here, just people in General.

It is paid out in several years of installments. The Language usually states that it’s pro-rated depending on what the Coaches next stepi is.

People seem to think this saves Archie 1 more season. But I get the feeling if it gets bad enough, he’s gone. People are done!
Nope not happening this year .
But if it gets ugly..
He'll know it's.. Next year.. Make big strides or your gone..

Archie will get another job, just like Crean. Their salary at the new job is deducted, usually dollar per dollar from the buyout. We probably had to pay Crean very little of his buyout.

But if it gets ugly..
How much uglier does it have to get? I would bet the house that IU doesn't finish .500 or above in the league this year. That would make it 4 straight years of sub par results. The fan base will be expected to go through another year of crap? If the outcome next year is already being talked about as ugly, then it is time to cut ties and move on. I don't get why so many are ok or sure that another year is a given. We already know what type of coach he is. I don't see it getting any better with an additional year.

How much uglier does it have to get? I would bet the house that IU doesn't finish .500 or above in the league this year. That would make it 4 straight years of sub par results. The fan base will be expected to go through another year of crap? If the outcome next year is already being talked about as ugly, then it is time to cut ties and move on. I don't get why so many are ok or sure that another year is a given. We already know what type of coach he is. I don't see it getting any better with an additional year.

betting is not this guys strong suit.

If he’s here next season, than Dolson is basically Glass. Because I know for a fact that Pat Kraft would have been moving Heaven and Earth to get him out of here. Maybe Reynolds too. Perhaps that’s why McRobbie promoted Dolson. He doesn’t want a bold AD.

Reactions: baileyiu
If he’s here next season, than Dolson is basically Glass. Because I know for a fact that Pat Kraft would have been moving Heaven and Earth to get him out of here. Maybe Reynolds too. Perhaps that’s why McRobbie promoted Dolson. He doesn’t want a bold AD.
How in the world do you know this "for a fact"?

Reactions: Al Bino
Crean at least won 2 B1G titles so there was some success there after the serious rebuild he dealt with. Archie hasn't even sniffed the upper tier of the conference.

Crean at least won 2 B1G titles so there was some success there after the serious rebuild he dealt with. Archie hasn't even sniffed the upper tier of the conference.

in 2016, yes just 5 seasons ago crean went 15-3 and won the big ten by 2 freaking games.

Jesus.

But if it gets ugly..
Which would be totally irresponsible on the part of IU admin. If IU finishes in the bottom half of the B1G and Archie isn’t canned, everyone and their brother knows Archie will be coaching for his job next season. All that will do is completely squelch any and all ability to recruit for the next class. Even if Archie manages to pull a miracle out of his ass next season, you’ve already sacrificed at least the next couple of seasons because he will be behind in recruiting. There’s no point in giving him another season. Unless your goal is to hamper the program that much longer.

100% that he's coaching IU next season.

Post a picture of your house. ;)

Well I'm sorry youdo
Which would be totally irresponsible on the part of IU admin. If IU finishes in the bottom half of the B1G and Archie isn’t canned, everyone and their brother knows Archie will be coaching for his job next season. All that will do is completely squelch any and all ability to recruit for the next class. Even if Archie manages to pull a miracle out of his ass next season, you’ve already sacrificed at least the next couple of seasons because he will be behind in recruiting. There’s no point in giving him another season. Unless your goal is to hamper the program that much longer.
Well if he does get a good transfer..
Say Stewart can ball..
Indiana is top 5 in conference and a tournament appearance..
Prepare for your head to explode..
He"ll get an extension...Bank that..

Dolson is a yes man and that's exactly why he was hired. There's no way Archie gets fired this year.

Unless Archie pulls a Patino with a chick in a restraunt and is caught in the next eight months, he's going to be Indiana's basketball coach next year.

because winning/losing matters less to the BoT/admin than does $$

Well I'm sorry youdo

Well if he does get a good transfer..
Say Stewart can ball..
Indiana is top 5 in conference and a tournament appearance..
Prepare for your head to explode..
He"ll get an extension...Bank that..
My head will explode? Over what? If Archie pulls a miracle out of his ass this season, cool. I’ll just have to watch IU win. Oh darn.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe I’ll be watching IU win all that often under Archie’s watch. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if we finish the conference worse in year four than we did in years one, two or three.

Reactions: OrlandoHoosier
I wonder how Mrs. 4IUfourever would feel about the bet? ;);)

If we dont make the tourney, the pressure will be intense on the administration. I wouldn't want to be AD or Sr. Leadership at IU dealing with the questions about the MBB program.

He may be the coach next year, but it will be a very ugly, stressful year.

Nothing less than an above .500 record and top 7 finish in the conference and an NCAA tournament birth should be acceptable next year if Archie is given one more. That's the bare minimum.

I might have agreed with this comment if it was posted two years ago.
A near .500 record and a near 7th place finish is no way, no how acceptable in year five.
We've become Minnesota.

The operative question for Dolson to ask Archie is what game changers are coming in and when? What can Archie say? Dolson then says sorry Arch we're moving in a different direction, hopefully upward.

I might have agreed with this comment if it was posted two years ago.
A near .500 record and a near 7th place finish is no way, no how acceptable in year five.
We've become Minnesota.
And yet at least we are not Georgia. Their coach is something like 9-34 in the SEC over 2 1/2 years. Yes he won the big ten and then lost his mind and forgot how to coach I do think Crean would have had us losing 87-84 most nights except for the games we would have lost 95-67. Archie doesn’t get “Indiana basketball” anymore than the previous 3 guys did. And you are recruiting kids that have no idea what it is. Possibly gone forever which is kind of sad.

Alford would get it. Now his buyout and the Pierre Pierce would fans want Alford that's the question. Alford with former IU players on the staff would do alot for Indiana basketball. Rumor in 2007 was Alford, Bailey, Smart on staff but Greenspan hated Alford from days at SWMS.

Archie will get another job, just like Crean. Their salary at the new job is deducted, usually dollar per dollar from the buyout. We probably had to pay Crean very little of his buyout.

Why couldn’t Georgia game this? Basically offer him $150k until the IU buyout ended and that guarantee $2 million additional dollars per year (or whatever it would be) on all years after the buyout ended?

Why couldn’t Georgia game this? Basically offer him $150k until the IU buyout ended and that guarantee $2 million additional dollars per year (or whatever it would be) on all years after the buyout ended?
Right. Archie could go to Arizona and become the highest paid assistant in history for the next 5 years, and stick us with 14 million in payouts.

Right. Archie could go to Arizona and become the highest paid assistant in history for the next 5 years, and stick us with 14 million in payouts.

Thats not how it works. It’s like Unemployment. You don’t get the money if you have a job.

Alford would get it. Now his buyout and the Pierre Pierce would fans want Alford that's the question. Alford with former IU players on the staff would do alot for Indiana basketball. Rumor in 2007 was Alford, Bailey, Smart on staff but Greenspan hated Alford from days at SWMS.
Absolutely true.

Two stories (and, being from New Castle, I know both of these to be true):

1. When playing at Illinois State (where Greenspan was AD at the time) Alford asked Greenspan to leave the gym while the Bears were practicing (he kept hanging around for no reason; Steve believed he was trying to get info to give to the Redbirds staff). As Greenspan left, he turned out the lights to the arena.
  2. When the IU job came open in 2006, I saw an email Steve had sent to a guy in New Castle he's is good friends with (coached him in Optimist basketball when the Alfords first moved to NC) saying Greenspan didn't even contact him about the job. So, no, Alford was never a candidate in 2006.
I have been told that IU was ready to hire Alford in 2001, but Brand nixed that because of not giving the job to Davis would (in Brand's eyes) not look like IU was giving an African-American a fair shake.

I think the main impediments to this are coach’s desires to get another job and wash RF the stain of being fired, combined with the reputation of having scammed his terminating school out the buyout money. The next potential employer might take a dim view of such a transparent endeavor.

Absolutely true.

1. When playing at Illinois State (where Greenspan was AD at the time) Alford asked Greenspan to leave the gym while the Bears were practicing (he kept hanging around for no reason; Steve believed he was trying to get info to give to the Redbirds staff). As Greenspan left, he turned out the lights to the arena.
  2. When the IU job came open in 2006, I saw an email Steve had sent to a guy in New Castle he's is good friends with (coached him in Optimist basketball when the Alfords first moved to NC) saying Greenspan didn't even contact him about the job. So, no, Alford was never a candidate in 2006.
I have been told that IU was ready to hire Alford in 2001, but Brand nixed that because of not giving the job to Davis would (in Brand's eyes) not look like IU was giving an African-American a fair shake.
I heard both these stories . I heard that Alford had been told he would be the coach in 2001 , then Brand swept in and nixed it . Also a friend of mine was tailgating at a football game with Greenspans daughter and she told him the same story and that her dad would never hire Steve. He told me this before Davis left , and the coaching search started . So I wasn't surprised when Alford didn't even get an interview .

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Absolutely true.

Alford never had a chance in 2001 or 2006. None. CB and a couple of other Trustees drove the 2001 “decision”, and Brand acquiesced to their “demands”. Nobody at that level was prepared to take issue with it since it was guaranteed to be a public spat that could be damaging personally to individuals. It’s one of the many times that a strong leader (think John Ryan) could’ve led IU through this. We didn’t have that luxury in 2001.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT