ADVERTISEMENT

Burying the lede in the UW - UM game

Kazhoosier

Newcomer
Dec 19, 2017
Is it just me, or is the most shocking thing about the UW - UM game not the fight? In Coach Gard's press conference he openly states that the official came to him and told him that if he called a timeout the time to get the ball across half-court would reset to 10 seconds. I know at one level the fight is really the big story (and I just wanted to use the word "lede" in a post), but since when is an official allowed to volunteer coaching tips to a coach????? If Gard had approached the official and asked for a rules clarification, then sure the official should respond what would happen if they called timeout. But Gard clearly states that the official initiated it and volunteered the information to help Wisconsin. Shouldn't this be at least a controversy? Why should that official ever be able to referee a Wisconsin game again??

Gard explains it starting at the 2:00 mark of this video:

On the surface of it, that doesn’t sound like that big of a deal. Football refs routinely explain different scenarios to coaches if they accept or decline a penalty. And they often assume a team will decline one when the outcome would be less beneficial to them than the result of the play.

How is this any different?

I think an issue that a lot of people aren’t talking about is why Howard would be upset by Wisconsin taking the timeout….when he was still pressing them.

The implication is that sportsmanship would dictate that Wisconsin should take their foot completely off the gas even if Michigan wasn’t willing to.

Is it just me, or is the most shocking thing about the UW - UM game not the fight? In Coach Gard's press conference he openly states that the official came to him and told him that if he called a timeout the time to get the ball across half-court would reset to 10 seconds. I know at one level the fight is really the big story (and I just wanted to use the word "lede" in a post), but since when is an official allowed to volunteer coaching tips to a coach????? If Gard had approached the official and asked for a rules clarification, then sure the official should respond what would happen if they called timeout. But Gard clearly states that the official initiated it and volunteered the information to help Wisconsin. Shouldn't this be at least a controversy? Why should that official ever be able to referee a Wisconsin game again??

Agree with you. IF it happened that way (Gard and his sidekick there seem intent on dodging any blame), the ref has no business offering an unsolicited rules interpretation.

On the surface of it, that doesn’t sound like that big of a deal. Football refs routinely explain different scenarios to coaches if they accept or decline a penalty. And they often assume a team will decline one when the outcome would be less beneficial to them than the result of the play.

How is this any different?

I think an issue that a lot of people aren’t talking about is why Howard would be upset by Wisconsin taking the timeout….when he was still pressing them.

The implication is that sportsmanship would dictate that Wisconsin should take their foot completely off the gas even if Michigan wasn’t willing to.
They have already thrown the flag at that point and are giving the coach his options. If what Gard says is true, the ref helped him avoid having the flag thrown, i.e. getting a 10 second call

Reactions: Radio Zero

That’s when Gard should’ve said I appreciate the info but we are up 14 with a couple seconds to go,we will take our chances.Calling a timeout in that situation would have set any coach off and he knows that.
When I read his explanation I spit my coffee lol What an idiotic comment.

Very, very, very strongly guess that Gard called the timeout on his own. And THEN the ref told them, maybe unsolicited, maybe not, that the 10 second count resets. I could see a ref offering that up. Just like they offer up that you can't move on the sideline, etc... But I think Gard is either lying, or messing up the timing, by saying the ref giving him that info led to him calling a timeout. It just doesn't happen that way in the flow of the game.

Regardless...if I'm the losing coach, and I'm wanting my kids to play through the buzzer, and I'm still pressing and working on stuff that I want to work on, with my main rotation guys still in the game...it would never dawn on me to get pissed if the opposing coach called a timeout to settle his team down...and/or to sub starters back in.

The more I think about this...the less and less blame I'm putting on Wisconsin/Gard. Even his initial reaction in the handshake line was likely his attempt to explain why he called the timeout. Like..."Are you seriously mad right now Juwan?" I probably would have been chippy with him too at that point.

They have already thrown the flag at that point and are giving the coach his options. If what Gard says is true, the ref helped him avoid having the flag thrown, i.e. getting a 10 second call
Well, we know B1G officials are completely impartial.....

• Haha
Reactions: MIS01
Very, very, very strongly guess that Gard called the timeout on his own. And THEN the ref told them, maybe unsolicited, maybe not, that the 10 second count resets. I could see a ref offering that up. Just like they offer up that you can't move on the sideline, etc... But I think Gard is either lying, or messing up the timing, by saying the ref giving him that info led to him calling a timeout. It just doesn't happen that way in the flow of the game.

Regardless...if I'm the losing coach, and I'm wanting my kids to play through the buzzer, and I'm still pressing and working on stuff that I want to work on, with my main rotation guys still in the game...it would never dawn on me to get pissed if the opposing coach called a timeout to settle his team down...and/or to sub starters back in.

The more I think about this...the less and less blame I'm putting on Wisconsin/Gard. Even his initial reaction in the handshake line was likely his attempt to explain why he called the timeout. Like..."Are you seriously mad right now Juwan?" I probably would have been chippy with him too at that point.
Exactly. Juwan has played enough and coached long enough to know that common coaching decorum says that you quit pressing when the outcome is decided - winning or losing. Especially true when the other guy empties his bench. At that point, you empty your bench as well and let the end of the bench guys play it out straight up. If you aren't willing to do that, then don't bitch about anything the opposing coach does in response.

Reactions: DANC
Exactly. Juwan has played enough and coached long enough to know that common coaching decorum says that you quit pressing when the outcome is decided - winning or losing. Especially true when the other guy empties his bench. At that point, you empty your bench as well and let the end of the bench guys play it out straight up. If you aren't willing to do that, then don't bitch about anything the opposing coach does in response.

He's old enough to know you can't throw a punch in that situation.

He's a leader of young men, after all.

But I also think Gard is a f** f*** who had no biz laying his hands on Howard.

I'm thinking this all comes down to a micropeen problem on the red side, and a "still think I'm 16" thing going on w the blue.

L/L

Reactions: MIS01 and T.M.P.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT