ADVERTISEMENT

Burks commits!

Offers included Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Purdue, North Carolina, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Washington State, USF, UCF, Temple, Cincinnati, Appalachian State

This will be a small class. The caliber of players CTA is adding may be one of our most talented.
Couldn't agree more. So far, at least, I'm not seeing anyone who could remotely be described as "filler." And even one of the lowest rated guys in the list (Fiacable) is probably who I'm most excited about seeing develop. His athleticism at his size just pops on tape.

Per Twitter

From Matt Weaver at 127:

--IU recruiting him for Husky position....can also play S
--IU looking for 3 safties this year....seemingly over & above Burkes....which means 1 more S recruit.
--Someone should attach the story---has his stats from last year.

#95 player in 247's Florida class.....anyone under #130 or so is a real good player, typically.

From his highlights....very aggressive, instinctive

Burks was mentioned a couple times on the Purdue boards. Couple of posters thought he was a lock for Purdue.
Again. Never heard of him. I don't go on the free board over there though. Javon Grigsby is the guy Purdue has been after. He got an Auburn offer though....

Some of those people probably thing the #1 recruit in the country is gonna commit.... There is a reason I don't go there. Lol
I think he's confused with Deion Burks not Aubrey. He already committed to Purdue.

Is this the prototype for recruiting the husky? Like the HS linebacker with great athleticism but too small to play the position in college. Presumably they'd have the "play the run" mentality but have the wheels to get back into coverage. Makes sense to me, but I'm pretty dumb on the Xs & Os.

So Mackey and BoilerN I am not trying to be an agitator but I have a serious question for your you guys and any others that may stop by. My question is why in Brohms 4th year with a couple of really good recruiting classes and the belief that Brohm is worth $6 million so your fans believe that you guys are going to be anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4? I am just curious.

Reactions: vesuvius13
So Mackey and BoilerN I am not trying to be an agitator but I have a serious question for your you guys and any others that may stop by. My question is why in Brohms 4th year with a couple of really good recruiting classes and the belief that Brohm is worth $6 million so your fans believe that you guys are going to be anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4? I am just curious.

Schedule plays a big role IMO. No cupcake out of conference games with Memphis and Air Force both being solid teams and then a road ACC game against BC. New DC, how do guys like Lorenzo Neal and Rondale come back from injuries, etc...

Schedule plays a big role IMO. No cupcake out of conference games with Memphis and Air Force both being solid teams and then a road ACC game against BC. New DC, how do guys like Lorenzo Neal and Rondale come back from injuries, etc...

Oh lord. Memphis and Air Force. Those are some powerhouses. Boston College is awful. That’s another powerhouse.

Oh lord. Memphis and Air Force. Those are some powerhouses. Boston College is awful. That’s another powerhouse.
Memphis has a lot of quality talent.... but new coaching staff. Probably more talented than a few teams in BIG. AIR Force.... very difficult to prepare for. BC is good. We compete with BC and Memphis for recruits quite frequently.

Ya. Kind of like Mackey said. Schedule being difficult enough to give it that sense of "unknown" when it comes to results. I personally said 7 wins this coming year. I think Purdue is better than NW, Nebraska, Illinois, should be one of Iowa or Minny. Brohm has also played Wisconsin tough, so maybe this is the year? Won't get my hopes up...

Anyways. Then you look at the roster. Lorenzo Neal is back, as is Rondale. DL should be really good. The secondary is completely rebuilt, which isn't a bad thing. Diaco should be a welcomed edition at DC. If he can be top 50 on D, that would be huge. Many other injuries coming back as well. OL should take a big step. Pieces are there, just to much youth. Beyond the injuries though, last year was always the "bottom" for Brohm because it's where he transitioned to his guys. Issue was, they were super young and that's never great I'm the big ten. Youngest starters and the only team to have an offense and defense averaging under 3 years of program experience. The talent is there, just takes time. But they were somewhat close to being a 6 win team last year if you want to play that game.

As for Brohm and is he worth his 5 million dollar salary. From the outside looking in, probably not. For me personally, yes. Absolutely. I truely believe that if Brohm goes to Louisville, the program is in worse condition than it was before Brohm got there and at that point, any hopes of being relevant for the next 10 years were probably out the door. He leaves, his staff leaves, his ace recruiter leaves, the "transformational class" likely leaves and the team is built of Hazell recruits that couldn't start over true and redshirt freshman last year. Add that in with IU getting better and it wouldn't have been good.

Sorry this got long, but wanted to answer your question the best I could.

Mem, BC and AF are not cupcakes but not good. If PU is any good they should win all three. If they win less than two of them then schedule really doesn't matter because the team isn't any good anyway.

Ya. Kind of like Mackey said. Schedule being difficult enough to give it that sense of "unknown" when it comes to results. I personally said 7 wins this coming year. I think Purdue is better than NW, Nebraska, Illinois, should be one of Iowa or Minny. Brohm has also played Wisconsin tough, so maybe this is the year? Won't get my hopes up...

Anyways. Then you look at the roster. Lorenzo Neal is back, as is Rondale. DL should be really good. The secondary is completely rebuilt, which isn't a bad thing. Diaco should be a welcomed edition at DC. If he can be top 50 on D, that would be huge. Many other injuries coming back as well. OL should take a big step. Pieces are there, just to much youth. Beyond the injuries though, last year was always the "bottom" for Brohm because it's where he transitioned to his guys. Issue was, they were super young and that's never great I'm the big ten. Youngest starters and the only team to have an offense and defense averaging under 3 years of program experience. The talent is there, just takes time. But they were somewhat close to being a 6 win team last year if you want to play that game.

As for Brohm and is he worth his 5 million dollar salary. From the outside looking in, probably not. For me personally, yes. Absolutely. I truely believe that if Brohm goes to Louisville, the program is in worse condition than it was before Brohm got there and at that point, any hopes of being relevant for the next 10 years were probably out the door. He leaves, his staff leaves, his ace recruiter leaves, the "transformational class" likely leaves and the team is built of Hazell recruits that couldn't start over true and redshirt freshman last year. Add that in with IU getting better and it wouldn't have been good.

Sorry this got long, but wanted to answer your question the best I could.
The big issue with Purdue is OL and quality depth in most position groups. Their offensive firepower is incredible. You are correct. Just takes a while to build up quality depth. IU is almost there in this regard....OL is the one group where that foundation needs to be established.

Not good? Memphis 12-2 and played in Cotton Bowl. Air Force 11-2. Both with Power 5 wins. BC 6-7 with a bowl game. Cumulative,students records of 29-11 What could your assessment possibly be of Western Kentucky, Ball State and UConn and their cumulative marks of 16-21?

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Mem, BC and AF are not cupcakes but not good. If PU is any good they should win all three. If they win less than two of them then schedule really doesn't matter because the team isn't any good anyway.
Agreed. Schedule is tough, but Purdue should win all three of they want to prove they are taking the step.

The big issue with Purdue is OL and quality depth in most position groups. Their offensive firepower is incredible. You are correct. Just takes a while to build up quality depth. IU is almost there in this regard....OL is the one group where that foundation needs to be established.
Ya. That was the biggest issue last year on offense. It showed signs though. Only gave up 12 sacks post Penn State starting 3 underclassman. Started a true freshman LG vs iu actually and he looked really good. I'm guessing he starts this year. Then the OL class Purdue just brought in was a pretty good OL class. Like you said, it just takes time. I said the day Brohm was hired that it was always a 5 year rebuild to get the team right.

Agreed. Schedule is tough, but Purdue should win all three of they want to prove they are taking the step.

Purdue aspirants feel we should, but oddsmakers will probably have Boilermakers underdogs in 2 of the 3.
Three straight opening game losses could weigh heavily on a program that needs a fast start, but must do so on the road in Lincoln which is no cakewalk. A team that needed lots of practice reps to mature its youthful squad is faced with just the opposite. A winning season will be quite an achievement in the eyes of the prognosticators.

Purdue aspirants feel we should, but oddsmakers will probably have Boilermakers underdogs in 2 of the 3.
Three straight opening game losses could weigh heavily on a program that needs a fast start, but must do so on the road in Lincoln which is no cakewalk. A team that needed lots of practice reps to mature its youthful squad is faced with just the opposite. A winning season will be quite an achievement in the eyes of the prognosticators.
I think Nebraska is more winnable than everyone things. Purdue is the better team and Lincoln isn't going to be a huge home field advantage. I'm more worried about Memphis and AF.

Not good? Memphis 12-2 and played in Cotton Bowl. Air Force 11-2. Both with Power 5 wins. BC 6-7 with a bowl game. Cumulative,students records of 29-11 What could your assessment possibly be of Western Kentucky, Ball State and UConn and their cumulative marks of 16-21?
While I agree they do seem to be formidable but both Memphis and BC have new coaches and AFA is AFA which is always a tough get. A couple of years ago we beat FIU who was a bowl team Virginia also a bowl team and a decent team and pu fans said it was a weak schedule. Also you guys have in conference Nebraska who so far have been underachievers, Rutgers, Illinois, Northwestern coming off a bad season but will be better.

Per PU Schedule next season, here's my trying to be unbiased view:
  • AT NEBRASKA - LOSS Neb still tough stadium on road
  • MEMPHIS - Win (PU offense clicking for home opener
  • AIR FORCE - Win Scary game for PU but pull it out
  • AT BOSTON COLLEGE - LOSS BC holds home court
  • RUTGERS - WIN - Tough year for Rutgers still
  • AT ILLINOIS - WIN - Brohm maxes out offense here
  • AT MICHIGAN - LOSS (Hard to win in big house)
  • NORTHWESTERN - LOSS PRamsey crushes Boilers HC!
  • AT MINNESOTA - LOSS - don't see win up there
  • WISCONSIN - LOSS - BADGERS wear them down
  • IOWA - WIN PU pulls out of losing streak on Senior Day
  • AT INDIANA - LOSS IU keeps Bucket in another dogfight
5-7, almost make the bowl game, but the games 7-10 slump kills them. Peyton Ramsey hailed AGAIN in Bloomington for the win in West Lafayette.

While I agree they do seem to be formidable but both Memphis and BC have new coaches and AFA is AFA which is always a tough get. A couple of years ago we beat FIU who was a bowl team Virginia also a bowl team and a decent team and pu fans said it was a weak schedule. Also you guys have in conference Nebraska who so far have been underachievers, Rutgers, Illinois, Northwestern coming off a bad season but will be better.
This will be unpopular here, but if you look at the 2019 standings, the average finish of the east vs the west in the overall big ten standings was .1 difference. I don't think their is a huge discrepancy. Really, whoever has OSU is going to be perceived as the tougher division, but there isn't this giant gap anymore.

Also, you think Illinois will be a bowl team again? I don't think the wins are there. NU wouldn't surprise me, but again, where do the wins come from? I think they are behind Purdue and Nebraska right now.

Assuming you didn’t pay attention to what Memphis and AF did last year.

This will be unpopular here, but if you look at the 2019 standings, the average finish of the east vs the west in the overall big ten standings was .1 difference. I don't think their is a huge discrepancy. Really, whoever has OSU is going to be perceived as the tougher division, but there isn't this giant gap anymore.

Also, you think Illinois will be a bowl team again? I don't think the wins are there. NU wouldn't surprise me, but again, where do the wins come from? I think they are behind Purdue and Nebraska right now.

You are aware that you have your own p u board right???

ADVERTISEMENT